The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can anyone help me clear this up?

A post of a ranting nature...

Dolf112

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 30, 2016
England
Hi,

I'm about to start another business with little investment. It is a very simple services business that I aim to remove myself from quickly.

The problem I have is I struggle to be pro active. I am reactive and feel things out and tweak which is a good trait but I use it in a "reckless" way.

In the past I have started businesses because I know I can make money and not analysed it too much. Then a problem comes along, I observe and adjust and all is right again.

Yet now, maybe because of age and experience I am over thinking every little detail. I'm not talking about things like "If I turn up in my car, instead of a company van, would that damage my image?"

I'm more worried about the opening sentence when answering the phone or what gsm paper the written quote should be on.

So in all this over - thinking. I'm struggling to pull the trigger and just do it, like how I used to be.

From experience can anyone tell me the main things to be concerned with when starting out. And the things that aren't as important as I might feel they are?

Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser450

Analysis Paralysis is caused by self-importance. You're being selfish.

Imagine if your favorite product never shipped because the CEO couldn't decide between fedex and ups; you'd think it was ridiculous - you might even be angry.

Customers care about their problems not how "professional" we seem.

Work on samples, testimonials, case studies, etc. - show them you deliver good work on time, on budget.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Hi,

I'm about to start another business with little investment. It is a very simple services business that I aim to remove myself from quickly.

The problem I have is I struggle to be pro active. I am reactive and feel things out and tweak which is a good trait but I use it in a "reckless" way.

In the past I have started businesses because I know I can make money and not analysed it too much. Then a problem comes along, I observe and adjust and all is right again.

Yet now, maybe because of age and experience I am over thinking every little detail. I'm not talking about things like "If I turn up in my car, instead of a company van, would that damage my image?"

I'm more worried about the opening sentence when answering the phone or what gsm paper the written quote should be on.

So in all this over - thinking. I'm struggling to pull the trigger and just do it, like how I used to be.

From experience can anyone tell me the main things to be concerned with when starting out. And the things that aren't as important as I might feel they are?

Thanks in advance.

This is plastered all over the walls at Facebook HQ: "Done, Not Perfect."

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Think of the need you are filling. Think of how happy and relieved that person will be to hear from you because you have a solution for them.

Maybe they have been looking for your exact solution for weeks or even years. Think of how happy they will be to see you and hear from you.

If you are filling a need then people want you to call them, they want to meet you, they want your service. Its your duty to go out there and help them.

Dolf112

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 30, 2016
England
Analysis Paralysis is caused by self-importance. You're being selfish.

Imagine if your favorite product never shipped because the CEO couldn't decide between fedex and ups; you'd think it was ridiculous - you might even be angry.

Customers care about their problems not how "professional" we seem.

Work on samples, testimonials, case studies, etc. - show them you deliver good work on time, on budget.

Thank you. I never even for a second thought of this.

Dolf112

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 30, 2016
England
Think of the need you are filling. Think of how happy and relieved that person will be to hear from you because you have a solution for them.

Maybe they have been looking for your exact solution for weeks or even years. Think of how happy they will be to see you and hear from you.

If you are filling a need then people want you to call them, they want to meet you, they want your service. Its your duty to go out there and help them.

Thank you. It is strange how easily it is to get lost in making it about yourself when it clearly isn't.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What is it that is stopping you from taking action? For me, it was worrying about what other people would think of the decisions I made. Crazy, I know, but that's what it was for me. The more that I don't let other people's options *drive* me, the more productive I am. (I still take other people's feedback, though)

Dolf112

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 30, 2016
England
What is it that is stopping you from taking action? For me, it was worrying about what other people would think of the decisions I made. Crazy, I know, but that's what it was for me. The more that I don't let other people's options *drive* me, the more productive I am. (I still take other people's feedback, though)

For me it's that I am entering a market where there is companies that have been around for 40 years. So me being a bit of a stickler for detail, wanted to get everything right to give the business the best chance to succeed. I've realised now though that it wont ever succeed if it never starts.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
For me it's that I am entering a market where there is companies that have been around for 40 years. So me being a bit of a stickler for detail, wanted to get everything right to give the business the best chance to succeed. I've realised now though that it wont ever succeed if it never starts.
the thing is, unless you've competed successfully in this niche before, you don't really know what it will take to succeed. It may be some weird combination of things that you won't figure out until you try a bunch of stuff. A half-hearted attempt at something that you relentlessly improve over time is way better than an all-out one-time thing that you give your all to, and then give up on when it doesn't work.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Clearly, you're in your own way.

My hack to get out of my own way is to focus on who I'm helping, much like @Fox just posted.

Indeed, here's a 2 minute video of me explaining how I got out of my own way so I could actually create the 2 minute video:

Further reading:

And this might be worth listening to:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I think Need is the most important Fastlane commandment.

If I have a need big enough I don't care who or what solves it as long as it gets fixed.
Focus on why people Need you product and how you are helping with that, everything else should follow in time.

Dolf112

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 30, 2016
England
I think Need is the most important Fastlane commandment.

If I have a need big enough I don't care who or what solves it as long as it gets fixed.
Focus on why people Need you product and how you are helping with that, everything else should follow in time.

I don't have a clear understanding of need. I'll explain why.
Obviously if somebody had a cure for a cancer, there is a gigantic need for it.
However if somebody is for example, setting up a local Indian food takeaway. Then not so much when there is 10 others.
But then if you dig deeper the Indian food takeaway that this person is setting up will be the tastiest, the fastest, the cleanest, the friendliest and overall just the best Indian takeaway for miles.
People might not see there is a need for another Indian takeaway but as soon as people visit once that will be there number one choice going forward.
Then where do you draw the line in the sand for need. I'm struggling based on that scenario I'v just laid out. I don't know whether there is a need or not?

Green Destiny

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 19, 2016
However if somebody is for example, setting up a local Indian food takeaway. Then not so much when there is 10 others.
But then if you dig deeper the Indian food takeaway that this person is setting up will be the tastiest, the fastest, the cleanest, the friendliest and overall just the best Indian takeaway for miles.
People might not see there is a need for another Indian takeaway but as soon as people visit once that will be there number one choice going forward.
Then where do you draw the line in the sand for need. I'm struggling based on that scenario I'v just laid out. I don't know whether there is a need or not?

In my view, the need in this scenario is the fact that there is clearly a need for Indian Food. What you describe is the individual products that several Indian food takeaways are producing in order to fulfil that need. Some will try to be the best quality, others the best service, others the cheapest etc. But the actual need in this scenario is the people who want/need Indian food.

I could be wrong though?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

I started an app company two years ago and got lots of press since the app was interesting. I took a long time to build, about 15k in development and worked great. I didn't sell though and went I went over why it was clear there was no real need. I had incorrectly guessed what people wanted. No matter how much I tried it won't take off.

A month ago I started another company which is linking customers with sellers in a market where its hard to get solid, clear, informative information on the product. I made a simple landing page and had a small adwords spend. Although my system is not set up yet the leads I have provided so far are over $35,000 in sales in two weeks. I think if built right it could be over a million a year with 2 - 4 years.

One business had a great product, design and marketing. It failed - no need.

One business is a simple landing page - its a huge success and its easy to move forwards. Has need.

I don't know about your restaurant scenario, too little details, but if you are the 11th restaurant then you have an uphill battle no matter how good you are. Its possible but maybe its not worth it. Maybe use some real details on your scenario since 90% of restaurants breaks most of the CENTS commandments.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I started an app company two years ago and got lots of press since the app was interesting. I took a long time to build, about 15k in development and worked great. I didn't sell though and went I went over why it was clear there was no real need. I had incorrectly guessed what people wanted. No matter how much I tried it won't take off.

A month ago I started another company which is linking customers with sellers in a market where its hard to get solid, clear, informative information on the product. I made a simple landing page and had a small adwords spend. Although my system is not set up yet the leads I have provided so far are over $35,000 in sales in two weeks. I think if built right it could be over a million a year with 2 - 4 years.

One business is a simple landing page - its a huge success and its easy to move forwards. Has need.

I don't know about your restaurant scenario, too little details, but if you are the 11th restaurant then you have an uphill battle no matter how good you are. Its possible but maybe its not worth it. Maybe use some real details on your scenario since 90% of restaurants breaks most of the CENTS commandments.
Damn, but that's a few Startup books summarised in a couple of paragraphs. Looking forward to reading your story one day.

I'm re-reading "The 7 Day Startup" and that's pretty much his story too:
  • Built SaaS based on percieved need (a survey told him people would buy). No-one bought once he launched.
  • Ran out of savings and had 7 days to launch a new business, which he did successfully, by moving fast and not over-thinking.

Dolf112

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 30, 2016
England

I'm not personally starting a restaurant, I was just trying to give the best example of where I struggled validating need. I'm thinking that whatever it is that someone is doing, they could probably justify in their own head with some warped logic that there is a need even thought there isn't. I imagine that's an easy trap to fall into.
Congrats on the landing page success.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.