The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Book #4: Vote for Next Book Discussion!

Forum Book Discussion, Next Book to Read?!

• Man's Search for Meaning, Victor Frankl

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Influence: Psychology of Persuasion, by Cialdini

Votes: 41 20.8%
  • Trust Me I'm Lying, Ryan Holiday

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • The One Thing, Gary Keller

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Abundance: The Future Is Better than You Think, Peter Diamandis

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • The Power of Habit, Charles Duhigg

Votes: 20 10.2%
  • Ultimate Sales Machine, Holmes

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Never Split The Difference, Chris Voss

Votes: 32 16.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
Pre-suasion - Robert Cialdini

The book goes just as in depth as his first book on the topic of persuasion (influence), but this time it is focused on everything leading up to making the sale, and does a great job of explaining how to go about each of the concepts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Saiful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Dec 31, 2017
Chattogram, Bangladesh
Marketing/Business gurus have good advice. Their tactics can work...IF you are in a position to effectively use them. 98% of people NEVER will be in this position and thus listening to business gurus is a total waste of time. If you have bad focus, bad work habits, and a bad brain you will never ever be able to compete and building a business will never be possible. If your brain, body and focus is weak, you will be stuck and poor.
If you fix these things, building a business becomes easy.
If you are agree please like this post.

My nomination is...
The ONE Thing by Gary Keller
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1885167776/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
object-home-tot-book_cc61ed86.png

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Nominations still open, poll to be posted soon.

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 23, 2017
You can win by Shiv Khera . Excellent book .
I felt so motivated by this book that I scored 99/100 Marks in Maths in Class 10 and stood 1st in my district . I have it with me even now. Good book .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQE51N4/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Few Excerpts from the book which I like very much :
-"Fritz Kreisler, the great violinist, was once asked, "How do you play so well? Are you lucky?" He replied, "It is practice. If I don't practice for a month, the audience can tell the difference. If I don't practice for a week, my wife can tell the difference. If I don't practice for a day, I can tell the difference.""
-Nothing will take the place of persistence. Talent will not : Nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent . Genius will not : Unrewarded genius is a proverb. Education will not: The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
-If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem wonderful at all. --Michaelangelo
-We need to learn from nature. The duck keeps paddling relentlessly underneath but appears smooth and calm on top. Once when Fritz Kreisler, the great violinist, finished a concert, someone came up to the stage and said, "I'd give my life to play the way YOU do." Kreisler replied, "I did!" There is no magic wand for success. In the real world, success comes to doers, not observers. A horse that pulls cannot kick; a horse that kicks cannot pull. Let's pull and stop kicking. Without hard work there is no success. Nature gives birds their food but does not put it in their nest. They have to work hard for it. Nothing comes easy. Milton rose every morning at 4 a.m. to write Paradise Lost. It took Noah Webster 36 years to compile Webster's Dictionary. Even small accomplishments require hard work and are better than big talk
-Does Lockheed organization have a reason to believe positively? You bet. Several years ago Lockheed introduced the L-1011 Tristar plane. In order to ensure safety and test the strength of the jetliner, Lockheed exposed the plane to the roughest treatment for 18 months, costing $1.5 billion. Hydraulic jacks, electronic sensors and a computer put the airplane through its paces for more than 36,000 simulated flights, amounting to 100 years of airline service, without one single malfunction. Finally after hundreds of tests the aircraft was given the seal of approval. * There is every reason to believe that this plane would be safe to fly, because of all the effort put into preparation.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Another vote for
How to Get Rich by Felix Dennis

I couldn’t get on with Scrum.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Bruce Lee: A Life

Not a self-improvement book, just an objective biography about an interesting guy who lived an interesting and exciting life.

It would be interesting to read it and see what life lessons we all take away from it.
I listened to this last year, and it's worth a second listen/read.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Bruce Lee: A Life

Not a self-improvement book, just an objective biography about an interesting guy who lived an interesting and exciting life.

It would be interesting to read it and see what life lessons we all take away from it.

Just downloaded this one!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

LuckyPup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
51TVamX9bsL.jpg

I've read several of Holiday's books, and enjoyed them all. This one's next on my list. From Amazon:

The book that Inc. says "every entrepreneur should read" and an FT Book of the Month selection...

How did the movie The Shawshank Redemption fail at the box office but go on to gross more than $100 million as a cult classic?

How did The 48 Laws of Power miss the bestseller lists for more than a decade and still sell more than a million copies?

How is Iron Maiden still filling stadiums worldwide without radio or TV exposure forty years after the band was founded?

Bestselling author and marketer Ryan Holiday calls such works and artists perennial sellers. How do they endure and thrive while most books, movies, songs, video games, and pieces of art disappear quickly after initial success? How can we create and market creative works that achieve longevity?

Holiday explores this mystery by drawing on his extensive experience working with businesses and creators such as Google, American Apparel, and the author John Grisham, as well as his interviews with the minds behind some of the greatest perennial sellers of our time. His fascinating examples include:

• Rick Rubin, producer for Adele, Jay-Z, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who teaches his artists to push past short-term thinking and root their work in long-term inspiration.
• Tim Ferriss, whose books have sold millions of copies, in part because he rigorously tests every element of his work to see what generates the strongest response.
Seinfeld, which managed to capture both the essence of the nineties and timeless themes to become a modern classic.
• Harper Lee, who transformed a muddled manuscript into To Kill a Mockingbird with the help of the right editor and feedback.
• Winston Churchill, Stefan Zweig, and Lady Gaga, who each learned the essential tenets of building a platform of loyal, dedicated supporters.

Holiday reveals that the key to success for many perennial sellers is that their creators don’t distinguish between the making and the marketing. The product’s purpose and audience are in the creator’s mind from day one. By thinking holistically about the relationship between their audience and their work, creators of all kinds improve the chances that their offerings will stand the test of time.

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
The Beginning of Infinity by David Deutsch was the most profoundly practical firmware upgrade to the brain I've ever taken. It talks about the philosophy of knowledge and how to solve problems. It was the book that finally made me become a serious and effective entrepreneur.

This book will probably not get many likes, because it's not a self-help or business book per se, but it's discussions have a profound and direct impact on business, relationships, society and life in general. I'd recommend this book over any self-help book - and I've read many.

51H9D%2Bp2RSL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
I nominate Abundance. It’s one of my all time favorites.
Agreed--one of my all-time favorites too.

I feel like this book is a bit under-the-radar for entrepreneurs, but contains mindset & strategic opportunities that are fundamentally different & way beyond what the herd is even aware of. Like first principles opportunities.

It'd be super interesting to hear what fastlaners think of it.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018
This was just released:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0525536515/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World by Cal Newport

...which I'll be reading regardless, but it's worth a nomination, too.

If you go to the link and click "LISTEN" it gives you a nice brief insight. Very interesting, maybe this nomination can rise to the top of the next vote.

The thought of going back to the time of pre-devices vs. how they have benefitted us vs. the bad things it is creating and causing was mentioned.

Also, the fact a lot of all this is still misunderstood makes me think how that conversation is probably in it's infancy.

LuckyPup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
If you go to the link and click "LISTEN" it gives you a nice brief insight. Very interesting, maybe this nomination can rise to the top of the next vote.

The thought of going back to the time of pre-devices vs. how they have benefitted us vs. the bad things it is creating and causing was mentioned.

Also, the fact a lot of all this is still misunderstood makes me think how that conversation is probably in it's infancy.
Love Cal Newport's work. Is it wrong that I just downloaded a sample onto my Kindle?

LuckyPup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018

SK1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Feb 3, 2019
UK
I read it a few years back and was left with the feeling that there was much more to licensing than the author wrote; that it wasn't quite so simple. Also, I had zero ideas, so that didn't help my opinion.

Yes I do agree to a point.

I do like the philosophy behind it though; design does not need to be complicated, and with some work it isn't the most difficult thing to get it realised and selling.

I would not want to be in the position of taking a huge international corporation to court - that does not sound "Simple". He could have quite easily lost and ended up losing all the wealth that he had created.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump, poll to be added tomorrow.

Frank H.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 22, 2018
Another good book is "Flow" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Poll Posted, I've taken the most "liked" nonimations and included the other top vote-getters in the prior poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.