The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Nominations/Vote: Book Discussion (New Poll Posted!)

For any book discussion

Which book to discuss?

• Never Split The Difference, Chris Voss

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Atomic Habits, Clear

Votes: 61 39.4%
  • Ultimate Sales Machine, Holmes

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • The Slight Edge, Jeff Olson

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea, Burg and Mann

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony Tong

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 9, 2018
Singapore

MashaN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Sep 24, 2018
Canada, AB
So far it’s great! Very actionable and scientific with plenty of examples.
Agree. It got me to create my own log of habits. Reflecting on it once a month. 1% improvement in different areas of life every single day. Although some days it's only 0.01 of a percent, it's still better than 0%.
"Tiny changes - remarkable results".

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
For those wanting to know more about Goggins or how that mindset apply to a day to day basis, I strongly recommend reading "Living with a Seal"-Jesse Itzler. The guy convinced Goggins to live with him for a month following everything he asked him to do.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Please help.

Are we supposed to read the whole book before the book discussion? (I take it we're just gonna discuss the whole thing at once rather than in parts?)

What date does the book discussion start?

Are we all gonna say a bunch of really awesome things constantly about the dude because 1.) he’s actually a Terminator 2.) if we say anything negative he might come for us 3.) he could very well be on this forum 4.) actually he’s prolly not cuz he only has time to destroy Xerxes’ army.

I’m just wondering if we’re gonna delve or not.. cuz this book is definitely a hot tangled knot of stuff to discuss.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Please help.

Are we supposed to read the whole book before the book discussion? (I take it we're just gonna discuss the whole thing at once rather than in parts?)

What date does the book discussion start?

Are we all gonna say a bunch of really awesome things constantly about the dude because 1.) he’s actually a Terminator 2.) if we say anything negative he might come for us 3.) he could very well be on this forum 4.) actually he’s prolly not cuz he only has time to destroy Xerxes’ army.

I’m just wondering if we’re gonna delve or not.. cuz this book is definitely a hot tangled knot of stuff to discuss.

In MJ’s OP he mentions discussing it chapter by chapter and starting the discussion in January.

Let me ask you this though, since this would not have happened without your great suggestion, how would you structure the discussion?

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
In MJ’s OP he mentions discussing it chapter by chapter and starting the discussion in January.

Let me ask you this though, since this would not have happened without your great suggestion, how would you structure the discussion?

Ok I feel stupid for skimming that pertinent info. Thank you. I’ve had the flu and feel like I’ve lost brain cells.

Chapter by chapter is perfect. I’d structure it however the people who owned the house I was visiting wanted it structured. I’m glad he liked the idea at all.

I’m excited about this book discussion. It’s fun to read it altogether, at the same pace. That way when we come to mistaken conclusions about the book nobody acts like a pompous jerk and says “Well you clearly don’t understand the author’s intent because by the end of the book you’ll discover _______” If we’re all going in blind then there can be no end to the speculating because nobody’s spoiling the ending. Of course, this is a bio so we know he lived... but still. I’m hoping there will be enough differing opinions to make it interesting.

I’m really curious how this is gonna go with you guys.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am currently reading BAD BLOOD - the story about the implosion of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos. Good read.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
I am currently reading BAD BLOOD - the story about the implosion of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos. Good read.
If we're going currently reading - I'm reading The Laws of Human Nature, by Robert Greene. Worth the price just for the chapter on Martin Luther King Jr, and his transformation from sheltered preacher's kid to getting beat up in jails and encouraging civil disobedience.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I’m excited about this book discussion. It’s fun to read it altogether, at the same pace. That way when we come to mistaken conclusions about the book nobody acts like a pompous jerk and says “Well you clearly don’t understand the author’s intent because by the end of the book you’ll discover _______” If we’re all going in blind then there can be no end to the speculating because nobody’s spoiling the ending. Of course, this is a bio so we know he lived... but still. I’m hoping there will be enough differing opinions to make it interesting.

Can you send me a link to a sample book discussion at your H forum? I'd like to see how they structure it. In the past, we just posted a thread and discussed. Use "Contact Us" link at the forum footer. TY!!

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
I love the book club idea, I will be getting the book ASAP!

Any way we can get Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike in there?

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Seniorpreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Aug 4, 2007
Edmonton, AB Canada
I nominate a non-fiction book written for the benefit of the 50+ potential entrepreneurs in this group.
Book Title- Encore! Encore! Seniors 50 Plus As Entrepreneurs: Their Time Has Come
[LINK REMOVED]
[LINK REMOVED]
[LINK REMOVED]
Thanks!

MashaN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Sep 24, 2018
Canada, AB
For those wanting to know more about Goggins or how that mindset apply to a day to day basis, I strongly recommend reading "Living with a Seal"-Jesse Itzler. The guy convinced Goggins to live with him for a month following everything he asked him to do.
Also, Joe Rogan did a podcast with him a few months ago. Little more face to face, get to know someone on more personal level
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tSTk1083VY
. I enjoyed that one a lot, definitely worth your time.

And I just discovered they had another podcast a week ago. Haven't seen that one yet.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I nominate a non-fiction book written for the benefit of the 50+ potential entrepreneurs in this group.
Book Title- Encore! Encore! Seniors 50 Plus As Entrepreneurs: Their Time Has Come
Author- [REMOVED]
Amazon Link-[REMOVED]
Website, Book Cover,Sample Chapter & Lulu Link[REMOVED]

So you're nominating a book you wrote yourself? And then lying to us about your affiliation with it?

Yea that will work spectacularly.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
David made me realize how weak our society today is and how important it is for us, entrepreneurs, to get stronger and keep toughening up. People get offended for no reason, worry about insignificant sh*t, lose their composure when something irritates them a little, or give up just because they faced a tiny obstacle.

If you get good at suffering and pushing through despite immense pain, insurmountable obstacles, and unfairness, then everyday problems won't bother you at all. On the other end of the spectrum, if you stay in your comfort zone, protected from everything that might be unpleasant, then even the tiniest problem will feel like the end of the world.

One of the things I realized thanks to the book is that I'm not pushing myself even 10% as much as I should when it comes to physical fitness, which is one of the best ways to toughen up not only physically, but also mentally. I consider myself fairly fit, but what David does is on another, incomprehensible level. I'm going to change my routine and raise my standards. Time to take some souls.

I'm getting this book just based on this review - thanks MTF.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Bought Can't Hurt Me. Will see you boys at book club.

I feel like we should come up with a better name than “book club” unless this is a really, really, really vague reference to Fight Club... annnnd one of you looks exactly like Edward Norton.. annnd we get to fight.

I mean even my female friends don’t call book discussions book clubs. We should call it something cooler like, ... oh ffs I don’t know but for all that is holy don’t call it a book club.

*giggling a lot now while thinkin bout Edward Norton

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
Can't Hurt Me, for anyone not sure they want to participate, will be great for those of us who let suppressed insecurities keep us from achieving our dreams and goals. It is interesting from the very beginning.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Can't Hurt Me, for anyone not sure they want to participate, will be great for those of us who let suppressed insecurities keep us from achieving our dreams and goals. It is interesting from the very beginning.

I like that apart from being an autobiography, you also have the challenges at the end of the chapter. It would be very interesting to play around those when talking about the book, perhaps one challenge per week?

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I like that apart from being an autobiography, you also have the challenges at the end of the chapter. It would be very interesting to play around those when talking about the book, perhaps one challenge per week?

This is such a good idea! But if we do that I’d think having the book discussion on the Inside would be important.. so ppl are free to actually share what’s really going on in their brains. I don’t relish the idea of just anyone being able to read my insecurities OR my triumphs.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
@RazorCut and @Andy Black, I found his entire story very valuable because you get to see how he changes and what drives him later on. His later accomplishments wouldn't mean that much without the back story. Granted, I admire the guy a lot, so I could probably read his musings on how to cook potatoes lol.

I've persevered and got through to him finishing SEAL training (about 4 hours in). The Audible version has cut-aways to podcast type discussions after every chapter which drags it out somewhat but does add some meat to the bones. Still feel it's too long winded and over dramatised though. I thought I was heavy on type. lol

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018

maikooo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 7, 2018
Not sure if we can still nominate for next sessions, but this is an awesome book to understand the power of the process and compound interest in your own life ...

The Slight Edge
Jeff Olson
Link
41hC5Pli3SL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
For my copywriter friends:

Gary Halbert Letters
Hey Whipple Squeeze This
Hidden Persuaders
Scientific Advertising

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
Anti-Fragile is an awesome book.
"Fooled by Randomness" by Taleb is in my top 3 all time favorite reads. I keep hearing about anti-fragile, I'll have to pick it up.

So many books on my plate with the fastlane book of the month, my own personal interests, then more specific books to grow my fastlane.

Going to add dedicated reading time to my schedule.

dgr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Feb 20, 2016
Spain
Sorry if this seems too off-topic, but I've found quite funny and interesting the Customers who viewed this item also viewed section from the Goggins book. I guess it ignites a great spark of fitness motivation :D

goggins.PNG

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
A short and very good book

Book - The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea

Authors - Bob Burg and John David Mann

View attachment 22794

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1591848288/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
I think I recommended this in a thread a while back too. Yes, this is a perfect Fastlane book. It really engrains the ‘providing value’ message. This gets a vote from me.

This is driving me nuts with curiosity.. can you explain the cover to me?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.