The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

VOTE NOW! Book #4: Vote for Next Book Discussion!

Forum Book Discussion, Next Book to Read?!

• Man's Search for Meaning, Victor Frankl

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Influence: Psychology of Persuasion, by Cialdini

Votes: 41 20.8%
  • Trust Me I'm Lying, Ryan Holiday

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • The One Thing, Gary Keller

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Abundance: The Future Is Better than You Think, Peter Diamandis

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • The Power of Habit, Charles Duhigg

Votes: 20 10.2%
  • Ultimate Sales Machine, Holmes

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Never Split The Difference, Chris Voss

Votes: 32 16.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyPup

Done Dicking Around
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
I loved Trust Me, I'm Lying. A must read for anyone in the media/marketing/blog industry.

Never realized that he was the author of Perennial Seller. Will have to check it out.
I totally agree. Trust Me, I'm Lying provided so much insight into the industry - it was a seminal work for me. I love his books on Stoicism, but TMIL was a real eye-opener.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Frank H.

Contributor
Dec 22, 2018
Thank you for the fast lane wisdom! You saved me a lot of time and energy. I was going to read the book, however you influenced me not to. Where can I find the summary of the book?

Jello

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 1, 2018
NL
I'll go with How to get rich by Felix Dennis. As soon as I can find the poll [emoji853]. Is it possible Tapatalk doesn't show it?

(To get more work done I only read the forum during "relax time" on my phone using tapatalk and never in my office on my PC when working on my business.)

LaraJF

Contributor
Apr 1, 2017
Silicon Valley, California
lodestone-cs.com
I've read Cialdini (both books), The One Thing, and Never Split the Difference. I read Man's Search for Meaning with my daughter when she read that for a Univ class. All four are fantastic.
I did read the Power of Habit (yawn) and think it's too close on the heels of Atomic Habits. So I'm going to vote for a book I haven't read yet:
Abundance: The Future Is Better than You Think, Peter Diamandis

I think it's too late, but I have on my list Finish by Jon Acuff (and, I guess, Start by the same author...I'm good at starting but not so much at finishing)

And I recently finished Don't Bullshit Yourself by Jon Taffer and Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Dr. Joe Dispenza (which made me want to reread What the Bleep do We Know). Both were very good.

Also, any of the books by Mike Michalowicz are highly recommended.

SK1

Contributor
Feb 3, 2019
UK
Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Dr. Joe Dispenza (which made me want to reread What the Bleep do We Know). Both were very good.
I have just started reading - Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Dr. Joe Dispenza.

The second of 3 book I will study this year - the first is TMF!

Brendan8450

Contributor
Jun 29, 2018
Leeds, UK
Can we really be static?

Some values hold true..but our only real value is that we apply and evolve to make our consumers happy throughout...

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Poll closes in 2 days, looks like a book as old as TMF is going to win.

RazorCut

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 3, 2014
England UK
Poll closes in 2 days, looks like a book as old as TMF is going to win.
A quality product will stand the test of time, but I don’t need to tell you that. ;)

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Bump, new poll -- next book discussion! VOTE!

rogue synthetic

* Not actually Rutger Hauer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 2, 2017
New Zealand
Last month I said:

I went for Never Split the Difference.

Holmes' Ultimate Sales Machine would I think be the next runner up for the most interesting (certainly most actionable) thing on the list. Maybe next time.
I'm sticking with that. Vote went to Holmes for cosmic balance.

Tommo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
VOTE NOW!

Please post your nominations for the next book discussion.

Perhaps we can read something not so mainstream...

LIKE any book to upvote the nomination!
Traction. Gabriel Weinberg.
Ties in nicely with MJ's thread about if CENTS is causing failure to take action as well as lots of other good stuff.

DonTriumph

Bronze Contributor
Jan 4, 2019
Philippines
I'd l
The Warrior Ethos for a non-business related book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/193689100X/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

All about ancient warriors and the psychology behind going to war/coming back from war. In a nutshell: it was your duty and you're not special for doing it, so get back to work.

Business-related: Quench your own thirst: https://www.amazon.com/dp/125013501X/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

The story of Sam Adams beer and being customer-centric as opposed to profit-centric.

I'd like to look at The Warrior Ethos. Seems interesting!

Quench Your Own Thirst sounds interesting, too, but I'll go first with the Warrior Ethos!

Charnell

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
South Dakota
Influence. I don't know how many times I've started it and read halfway before something else comes up and I restart it again. Ready to finish it.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 1, 2011
Voted for Abundance just because I'm tired of negativity and people thinking that the world sucks and is about to end.

Jello

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 1, 2018
NL
The 12 week year by Brian. P. Moran. Heard great things about it and am planning on reading it and when useful implenting this strategy in my next business endeavor.

Neng Her

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 30, 2018
Sacramento, ca
Anyone here who already read - How to get rich by Felix Dennis. Just curious to know what’s the difference between this book and TMFL. I think MJ has already decoded this mystery in his books. After reading TMFL and UNSCRIPTED I have never felt the need to read another book about financial wisdom. May be I am wrong.

Read and find out.

Siddhartha

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 30, 2019
It was a hard choice between never split the difference and trust me I'm lying. Were Pre-suasion by Cialdini there, I would've gone for that.

MHP368

the man, the myth, the Pseudo-Apollodorus
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Voted for Abundance just because I'm tired of negativity and people thinking that the world sucks and is about to end.
His take on cell phones leads down a very interesting path. Lots of third world countries are building stable consumer economies without having to go through the presumed requirement of an industrial base (via microtransactions and banking)

Also if you sit and think about it, that little gadget in your pocket has like 20 or 30k dollars worth of stuff inside it by 1980's first world standards, an entire encyclopedia, an entire library on every subject (thats really incalcuble value right there) , gps, barometer, clock, phone , flashlight, camera etc

If you go look at a radioshack ad from the 1980's and then adjust for inflation and then realize these things are all over the world (and in the pockets of people in villages with no plumbing) its definitely an optimism boost.

Last edited:

MakeItHappen

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 12, 2012
I would like to have a less well known book win.
Every book that did win till now I already read and the leading book in the poll I also have read before. :/

Frank H.

Contributor
Dec 22, 2018
That is an interesting perspective on cell-phones. That gadget was worth ~30k less than a generation ago. I'm putting that in my back pocket for the next time my grandparents tell me to put it away lol.

Also, there are a lot of good books to choose from. Perhaps we should do rank-choice voting for the next month. I keep seeing one book getting a lot of votes, however, it never gets first place.

G-Man

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2014
Somehow I missed the bus - what are we saying the book for April is?

Daniel A

DIESEL
Speedway Pass
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Somehow I missed the bus - what are we saying the book for April is?
It's going to be Influence most likely, so I'm going to go ahead and begin reading it tonight.

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Thread closed until next round of voting!

Influence is the winner this month!

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com
NEXT MONTH we will take a BREAK from all MAINSTREAM books.

All the selections in the voting next month will be relatively UNKNOWN books.

The following month we can return to more notable/known books, like some of the ones in 2nd and 3rd place here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom