The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are IQ (Smarts) and Success Correlated?

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
Its one factor. But entrepreneurship or business require all rounded skills. That’s why it is hard.

There are far less successful entrepreneurs than math and physics PHD.

The perfect fit for mental capacity is still academically related roles.
Yes, and out of these skills and capabilities, intelligence is the most impactful one.

I think actually there are more successful entrepreneurs than PhDs in math and physics, but that needs to be verified.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Yes, and out of these skills and capabilities, intelligence is the most impactful one.

I think actually there are more successful entrepreneurs than PhDs in math and physics, but that needs to be verified.
PHD are so common these days that they don’t even guarantee a job.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
PHD are so common these days that they don’t even guarantee a job.
We're talking PhDs in STEMs, not gender studies

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
We're talking PhDs in STEMs, not gender studies
Just having a PHD in STEMs don’t mean anything. There might be skill shortage in U.S. but PHD in STEMs exist in large quantity in Europe and Asia.

Even before the Tech layoff the amount of jobs (hedge fund research, data sci analyst, algo optimization, assist prof career path) are not enough to absorb the large amount of math and physics PHD that are graduating every year.

CS background are much better because they can opt into IT careers which is hot (at least before the tech layoff). But you don’t need a PHD. A degree with good GPA is good enough.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Posts moved to its own thread.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
One way you could test this hypothesis is to look at the data on Mensa members and how successful they are.

Is there any correlation between being having an IQ in the top 2% and being successful?

Two percent of the US population is 6 million people. Are the 6 million people with the highest IQ in the US also the people with a disproportionate level of success and wealth?

I have a hunch the answer is no, based on the assumption that if there were a strong correlation, it would be trumpeted from the Mensa website and marketing materials, which it isn't. Plus, I would think this list of "noteworthy Mensans" would be much longer and much more populated with "well-known successful people" if there was any kind of correlation to success.

However, there IS a correlation where the higher your IQ, the more likely you are to have ADHD, stunted social skills, mental health challenges, or one or more other eccentricities. These factors act as headwinds to being successful.

Not saying IQ is useless... I'd rather be smart than dumb... but just saying that I doubt the correlation between IQ and success holds up unless the person also has multiple other factors supporting them (such as absence of childhood trauma, good mental health, good emotional stability, good social skills, good executive function, internal locus of control, good work ethic, etc.).

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 5, 2018
There are various types of intelligence and IQ encompasses only a tiny sliver of the whole thing.

Some people are good verbally, others have good spacial thinking, others grasp nature related systems really well etc - all of them can excel in their own fields irrespective of their IQ.

As long as you have a good mix of strengths you can make something happen.

With that being said there is truth in having the ability to actually make use of your strengths - and that ability could very well correlate with IQ - but I think it is a seperate thing altogether.

Its kind of like a meta level of thinking where you are aware of your thoughts, emotions and behaviours almost from a third party perspective, which therefore allows you to modulate your behaviour and drive favorable results.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
I am amazed that it seems so hard to understand the simple relation between:

A. Entrepreneurship: a discipline whose principal activity is problem-solving.
B. Intelligence: the name given to the ability and speed to solve complex problems.

Just take the list of the richest people in the world: Real Time Billionaires

And now go see how smart these people really are.

Spoilers: here's what you will find:

1676923225008.png

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
One way you could test this hypothesis is to look at the data on Mensa members and how successful they are.

Nope, it is the other way around.

Being smart does not guarantee entrepreneurial success.

BUT

Entrepreneurial success cannot happen without being smart.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'll back street-smart over book-smart.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
The IQ test are math oriented so quite hard.

What is heavier?
One pound of iron or one pound of feather?

I have no idea as we have everything in kilograms here in Poland haha
on average a pound of iron

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
View attachment 47270

We better get the Gatorade out for the crops everyone.
i know its hard to acknowlege ill use an example, would you rather hit in the face with a pound of iron or a pound of feathers? feathers of course, because iron is heavier on average

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
i know its hard to acknowlege ill use an example, would you rather hit in the face with a pound of iron or a pound of feathers? feathers of course, because iron is heavier on average

Is your IQ same as your age?

Unreal.

Who’s got the double face palm meme? One just isn’t enough.

Edit: and for anyone advocating dropping out of school… the quoted post above should be proof: don’t. Stay in school kids. You F*cking need it more than I can explain.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Is your IQ same as your age?

Unreal.

Who’s got the double face palm meme? One just isn’t enough.
so youre telling me feathers are just as heavy??? different things have different mass and structure, next youll try and convince me feathers are as hard as diamond??

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
so youre telling me feathers are just as heavy??? different things have different mass and structure, next youll try and convince me feathers are as hard as diamond??
Yes. A pound of feathers is exactly as heavy as a pound of iron. Unequivocally.

It is also the same exact weight as a pound of every single other substance on earth.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Yes. A pound of feathers is exactly as heavy as a pound of iron. Unequivocally.

It is also the same exact weight as a pound of every single other substance on earth.
not on average? would you rather have a pound of iron fall on your head or a pound of feather?? obviously the lighter option of the two

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
not on average? would you rather have a pound of iron fall on your head or a pound of feather?? obviously the lighter option of the two

One day you’ll figure out the rule of holes. When you find yourself in one, stop digging.

Think. Once you get it; ask MJ to permanently delete the posts here that are making you look stupid.

Use google, ChatGPT, your neighbor whatever… just please don’t dig any deeper.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Your confidence is an inspiration to us all.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Edit: and for anyone advocating dropping out of school… the quoted post above should be proof: don’t. Stay in school kids. You F*cking need it more than I can explain.
i am not dropping out of school i dont get where you got that idea thank you very much

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Entrepreneurial success cannot happen without being smart.

I agree that there’s probably a disqualifying IQ level where you’re pretty much screwed.

However, below average isn’t smart, and I know several examples of people with below average intellect that are what most would consider successful.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
I agree that there’s probably a disqualifying IQ level where you’re pretty much screwed.

However, below average isn’t smart, and I know several examples of people with below average intellect that are what most would consider successful.
I can live with that

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
I attended a training once where the instructor told the story of how he paid to attend an expensive mastermind. At the in-person event, it was pretty clear that one of the business owners in attendance had a "below average" IQ compared to others.

My instructor was standing around with a few other guys at the mastermind, and some of them were talking down about the low IQ guy, until one of them commented, "Yeah, well [Name-of-low-IQ-dude] has his own airplane. And you don't." And that shut everyone up really quick.

All that to say... there's not always going to be a 1-to-1 correlation between intelligence and success (or the lack thereof).

But if you have the wherewithal to outsmart your competition by playing 3D chess while they're playing 2D checkers, by all means, go for it and leverage that advantage!

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
I attended a training once where the instructor told the story of how he paid to attend an expensive mastermind. At the in-person event, it was pretty clear that one of the business owners in attendance had a "below average" IQ compared to others.

My instructor was standing around with a few other guys at the mastermind, and some of them were talking down about the low IQ guy, until one of them commented, "Yeah, well [Name-of-low-IQ-dude] has his own airplane. And you don't." And that shut everyone up really quick.

All that to say... there's not always going to be a 1-to-1 correlation between intelligence and success (or the lack thereof).

But if you have the wherewithal to outsmart your competition by playing 3D chess while they're playing 2D checkers, by all means, go for it and leverage that advantage!

Maybe he was secretly a genius who liked to pretend to be dumb, kind of like how norm macdonald was. If you watch Norm on Conan and you didn't know who he was beforehand, you'd think he's fighting off early onset dementia, but if you listen to him on more candid platforms you'll see how sharp and quick witted he really was, always 3 steps ahead of everyone else in the room, his Who Want's to be a Millionaire appearance for example. By his own words he says noone likes a smart a$$ and his appeal came from his stupid 'everyman's comic' demeanour.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Is there any correlation between being having an IQ in the top 2% and being successful?

Two percent of the US population is 6 million people. Are the 6 million people with the highest IQ in the US also the people with a disproportionate level of success and wealth?

I have a hunch the answer is no, based on the assumption that if there were a strong correlation, it would be trumpeted from the Mensa website and marketing materials, which it isn't. Plus, I would think this list of "noteworthy Mensans" would be much longer and much more populated with "well-known successful people" if there was any kind of correlation to success.

However, there IS a correlation where the higher your IQ, the more likely you are to have ADHD, stunted social skills, mental health challenges, or one or more other eccentricities. These factors act as headwinds to being successful.

Not saying IQ is useless... I'd rather be smart than dumb... but just saying that I doubt the correlation between IQ and success holds up unless the person also has multiple other factors supporting them (such as absence of childhood trauma, good mental health, good emotional stability, good social skills, good executive function, internal locus of control, good work ethic, etc.).
I remember seeing a Mensa booth back in university days. They literally tell you don’t worry that you cannot score enough to join in. They can give you preparation training to boost your performance. Of course that is not free.

If you google online this is how IQ test companies work by selling to C now. They charge you to do the test. They charge you again to train you to score better. Then eventually and hopefully their clients can download a high IQ cert to show to their friends.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
As I wrote in Post#28 of my featured user thread,

Walter Hay, Imp/Export Extraordinaire (Vandalay Industries),​

while spending a lot of time in hospital as a child, I read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica, and having a photographic memory, was able to answer every question asked by the kids in the street where I lived. They called me "The Professor." Is that genius, or a quirk of nature?

My mother sent me to a primary school that was attached to a nearby university and its teachers' college. The school was used as a source of guinea pigs for various tests, and I often had to walk to the college to do an exam. The dumbest boy in the school was also often present.

As I reached high school age, the tests changed and unbeknown to me I was being tested for entry to a "Selective High School." The entry criterion was a certain high IQ score. I know what it was, but will omit reference to the number.

The question is: Was my photographic memory an indicator of a high IQ, or did I achieve that score because of diligence in reading all those volumes?

In addition to that: Was my problem solving ability that fueled my industrial chemical business without any chemical qualifications due to genius or plain hard work?

Any answers?

Walter

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
Okay maybe so, maybe not, I don’t see the point though, it sounds like you’re looking for limiting beliefs instead of spending your time building your future unless there’s a lesson that moved you forward here

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Lol @ the feathers and iron

I googled the weight of a feather in ounces, took whatever google spit out and converted it to 0.000018 lbs - that's the weight in pounds of one feather. Sadly I don't have a scale that could really do this!

That means it would take roughly 55,556 feathers to make 1 lb. That's quite a lot of feathers!

A pound of iron would be very small. You have probably used plates in the gym before and seen the 2.5 lb plates. Well... You can guess the volume of 1 pound from that. We are talking about something the size of your fist, or smaller.

The volume of a bag of ~55,000 feathers would be pretty large since the average king-sized pillow only contains roughly 1,000 feathers. That means 1 pound of feathers would be the equivalent of 55 king-sized feather pillows. Wow!

Same weight, different densities, very different volumes. The universe is fascinating. (I wouldn't want to be hit in the face with either, to be honest)

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.