The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone prep for collapse? Your life contingency plans...[Doomsday Prepping]

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Okay, so I know next to nothing about preparation for this kind of stuff. But I do know what I need to live. Food, water, shelter, protection, companionship.

Let's assume that doomsday = no money works any longer. The dollar crashed, the euro crashed, the yuan crashed, all of it crashed, and now anyone involved with a bank has been either executed or is being looked for to be killed. Nobody trusts governments anymore and law enforcement has given up. We still have all our medical and technological knowledge, though, but nobody is doing research anymore since nobody is being compensated. Nobody even trusts the idea of money anymore. Many people have killed themselves because working is pointless and so is running a business. Those who still work and run business get paid in food and water. The richest people are those who have excesses of food and water and can afford to buy protection and better homes. The Internet still works, electricity is still running if you know how to connect to it 'illegally', and water still runs (although nobody cares for it anymore so it's dirty and diseased). Refineries have shut down and gold and silver are now worthless since you can't buy food with it, despite efforts of silver and gold investors to make those into currency.

So that's essentially the situation. It might not get that bad, but let's assume that it does.

Food: I'm not all for the idea of growing my own food. Sure, I'll grow peppers and tomatoes and such since they aren't difficult to grow in a small space. I also don't really want to hunt. I know there are people who are much, much better at hunting than I am. I would much prefer to barter with people who have food, because in a doomsday situation I know that it won't be every man for himself. Not only that, if I hoard food, people will want to take it. I'd rather trade something for the food.

Water: Clean water is a must. This is, in part, why I'm an environmentalist: we humans have nearly destroyed our natural water supplies. In order to use natural freshwater or rainwater we must clean it extensively due to all of the pollution caused by us. Groundwater is becoming polluted, too, as we put more and more chemicals into our soil. Nowadays, I could buy a lifetime's worth of clean water for a couple thousand dollars. I don't really want to hoard 5,000 gallons of water, but 5,000 gallons can fill a small pool and I could keep that small pool or water in my own airtight, watertight container so it will not become infected. MONEYMAKING IDEA: Sell 5,000-10,000 gallon airtight water-tight large fish tanks for keeping drinkable water.

Shelter, well, I'd prefer to live in a smaller space if possible. I'd also need a bed, blanket, and some source of heating in the winter and cooling during the summer. Or I could just move to a place where it was 80/27 degrees all the time. Warm and cool clothes are also a must. Keeping hygienic in this kind of situation may prove difficult, so I'd need to set aside a few gallons of water per week to wash myself, brush my teeth, etc.

Protection. My philosophy is, the less you have, the less you need to protect. Being rich in a doomsday situation just means being alive and safe. But in that case, I'd just carry personal protection like a .45 or something. Any loaded firearm will do. However, in a doomsday situation, everyone will have a gun. I'm not very good with a gun, so I'd need to practice. But, people would be less likely to kill me on the spot if I didn't have anything they could take, such as my 5,000 gallon fish tank of fresh water. I'd need to hide that real well.

Protection also means protection from disease and its effects. I'd need to have some very basic medicine: painkillers, Pepto-Bismol, bandaids, alcohol, ephedrine, etc. Of course, I'm not protected from all disease.

Companionship. Shouldn't be too difficult to find. However, I prefer to live alone.

In a doomsday situation, what could I offer someone? What could I trade so that I do not have to hunt for my food, keep my own water or protect myself? That's really the question because doomsday society is still society.

So, new question: what kind of 'business' would you start? Would you hunt and sell meat? Would you grow food, tobacco or marijuana? Distill alcohol? Run a well? Sell bullets? Real estate? This is what I have yet to decide.

This is a long post

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
….just a side note: a lot of folks think they know exactly what they’d do if intruders came or the apocalypse showed up or zombies attacked or (fill in worst case scenario dooms day event). Here’s my experience: I am as prepared as one can possibly be (just trust me in this…if you find yourself thinking ‘well, what if this happened? Or what would you do in this case’…just know that I have that covered). But here is, in my opinion, what it really comes down to: one’s state of mind. I did search and rescue for a while and would come across people who had the latest’s gadgets and were even well prepared, but when stuff hit the fan, they couldn’t hang. And I’ve seen it where people who had no training and no supplies and yet managed to keep their cool and maneuver through horrific situations pretty darn well. We all like to think that we would rise to the occasion if scary circumstances came our way….but we really don’t know until we’re in it.
I have everything (and I mean everything) to defend myself, but can I pull it off when need be? I’d like to think so….I know I (and my husband) are completely on our own and so I’d like to think that it’s mentally prepared me enough. I’ve been shot at twice. Once when I was a young teenager and was holding my baby sister when a man opened fire in a public place and once when I was coming up to the gate of our property (it was dope growers). When I actually got home (the gate is 20 minutes driving 90mph from the house) and called 911…the soonest they told me they could arrive was in 3 days. Nice.
Maybe I’m just asking for it living out here, but then I think, “well, if I go move back to the city I can get robbed (or worse) just as easily” or something along those lines.
But back to my point: the most important defense tool you can have is a sane head on your shoulders. The best way to use a tool (any tool…a gun, a digging pole, a blow torch, emergency essentials, etc) is confidently. The worst way to use a tool is with overconfidence.
Keep a cool head and you’re ahead of the game….

Thanks for your input!! I love reading it and would love to hear more stories.

On protection, this is the biggest mis-conception and i totally agree with you. A lot of people assume getting any sort of weapon will be beneficial in a bad situation. In reality if you have no training, it will arm your attacker and make the situation worse. When under stress your mind resorts to training and instinct. If you have never trained, you will be screwed. And by training i mean if you are buying a weapon not to just statically make sure the thing works (gun at a range) i mean get yourself real stress training (force to force training[google it]).

The type and frequency of training is a must i think for anyone. Not saying that you will have to kill someone or defend yourself but wouldn't you like to have that skill if need be.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
It seems that it's hitting mainstream more than I thought. Tim Ferris's new book references a lot of this type of stuff.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
It seems that it's hitting mainstream more than I thought. Tim Ferris's new book references a lot of this type of stuff.

I'm noticing this too, via chatter around the office, etc. People are starting to talk of stocking up on food, guns/ammo, precious metals, etc. And these aren't your para-military types either. The way people talk (at least in my circle of acquaintances), this is fueled by concerns about the defecit/fear of an economic collapse, along with potentially tighter gun controls. Oddly enough, not many mention natural disasters, such as Sandy or Katrina, as motivators. I very seldom heard this type of office chatter a couple years ago.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
The way people talk (at least in my circle of acquaintances), this is fueled by concerns about the defecit/fear of an economic collapse, along with potentially tighter gun controls. Oddly enough, not many mention natural disasters, such as Sandy or Katrina, as motivators. I very seldom heard this type of office chatter a couple years ago.

Ah, and those pesky Mayans....

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
You made me laugh out loud, the little woman looked at me and asked whats wrong with me.

Yes, I have items related to my survival. My armory counting ammunition is worth about 12k. I have become very proficient with all of my firearms. I also have a credit card with a 30k limit ready to go with no balance at all. I would probably cash advance or buy gold coins as well as draw out my checking and buy a sailboat/food. (Obviously will take a little foresight)

I have a place in mind to go post problems and can effectively arm 4-5 additional people. Rifles, sidearms, concealable guns. Plenty of ammo for all to work our way to the boat and keep us safe once there.

I have 3 AKs and a Springfield M1a, 2 bolt action rifles, 1 bird gun, 2 defense shotguns, 2 glocks, 1 Ruger concealable gun, and my favorite (everyday carry) is a Sig P226 Blackwater. I also have 6 or 7 bad a$$ Esee knives and lots of high end fishing equipment with tons of tackle.

As for my investments, I obviously hope nothing happens. I have my wealth managed by an investment firm and am not comfortable investing it in anything physical yet. It is in some metal ETFs and some foreign investments too.

Now I didn't just buy all of this stuff for shit hitting the fan. I like guns, fishing and knives.

Also, I am getting an Italian passport to back up my ability to travel freely.

You did not mention your wind up radio and means of communication... what do you suggest? :cool:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
im surprised nobody has brought up the tax increases in 2013. over 200k income capital gains and dividends are subject to the ordinary rate instead of the capital rate. that means you can lose 50% of your income AGI to taxes!:nonod: is anybody affected by this? and if so what are you gonna do about it and how do you think its gonna affect the economy?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
im surprised nobody has brought up the tax increases in 2013. over 200k income capital gains and dividends are subject to the ordinary rate instead of the capital rate. that means you can lose 50% of your income AGI to taxes!:nonod: is anybody affected by this? and if so what are you gonna do about it and how do you think its gonna affect the economy?

Mark my words. It will crash the economy yet again. Honestly the American people deserve 30% unemployment at this point. As for me I will keep plugging away and will leave when I have had enough.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Mark my words. It will crash the economy yet again. Honestly the American people deserve 30% unemployment at this point. As for me I will keep plugging away and will leave when I have had enough.

Nobody deserves that level of unemployment, you sound pretentious here Kak. The tough part of the general public is the increase in cost of living and employers paying lower wages because they know most people will work for less. If you put a job up on CL, you will have hundreds of applications within hours.

Yes there is tons of people that are just lazy blood suckers, then there is a working class who are trying everything they can to meet their needs. You can't lump everything together and hope the worst for them. I admire guys like COSTCO's founder who no matter what market pays well above average for average jobs, he is still a capitalist entrepreneur but realizes in the end that everyone is in it together.

Not that any of this has to do directly with this thread but it all relates somehow.

I have more for this thread that I will bring up in a bit when i can write it.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

The part I hate is that people think these high earners live in a vacuum. As if any action taken to penalize these people will ONLY affect them. the truth is that it affects EVERYONE. You wanna keep as much money in the private sector as possible. the tax increases are not gonna fix our problems. If anything tax revenue will go down because tax dodging will take place. Now corporations have to alter their dividend policy and move to a growth model instead.

My favorite argument promoted by buffett is "people pay taxes no matter the rate!" BS! I bet you he takes taxes into account because he has to calculate his rate of return and maximize value. What a bunch of BS.

These are the most productive people is society. Can you imagine owning a small successful restaurant with dreams of expanding but now that has been slowed because you will lose 50% of your income? Compare a starbucks coffee and the DMV; one is private the other is public. which one is better? people want more of the DMV. more taxes. A parasitic waste of money.

in 2016 our gov't deficit could hit 20 trillion dollars. that can end up in a death spiral if that cost of debt goes up and china passes the Us as the worlds largest economy.

i wonder if muni bonds will go up because of this :rolleyes:. I guess S-corps are the way to go now.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
These posts are very political and will ruin the thread if we follow this path of conversation as we usually don't gain anything out of it.

-----

i wonder if muni bonds will go up because of this . I guess S-corps are the way to go now.
Now this type of conversation I find more interesting and useful...

-----

For what I understand, back in the 80's when the deductions for RE losses were removed, RE crashed as people dumped properties they had as a way to reduce taxes.

I am not sure what will be the effect on the economy with the tax increases as they seems to hit businesses hard, so my only guess is that companies will hire less due to high overhead costs, so an opportunity may be in providing training to people to work as independent subcontractors, as that should be where the market goes. But I have a pretty bad record of predicting stuff, and it may have nothing to do with this thread anyway...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
over 200k income capital gains and dividends are subject to the ordinary rate instead of the capital rate. that means you can lose 50% of your income AGI to taxes! is anybody affected by this?

You betcha. I live on a substantial portion of interest and dividends.

socaldude said:
i wonder if muni bonds will go up because of this . I guess S-corps are the way to go now.

Munis would seem to benefit from the recent health care taxes however I'm hearing that politicians have these also in their crosshairs ... I've heard that they are considering a cap on the exempt gains. So if your muni's earn in excess of the cap, you start paying normal taxes on them. If this happened, the muni market would take a substantial hit, not to mention that some states are having fiscal problems.

On the mortgage interest front, if they take that away, I will simply pay off my house and make it free and clear. That deduction is the only reason why I hold a mortgage, and represents my only debt, by choice. Taking away that deduction will hurt the housing market as there is less incentive to own vs rent. While this would seem to be a tax on the rich, it really hurts those in the working class. For ppl like myself, I will simply take my cards off the table and not play.

Unfortunately, politicians legislate as if their policies are implemented in a vacuum. Everything, whether deemed positive or negative, has a market reaction as policy is consumed.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
The fiscal cliff is only going to make things worse, but not that much worse.

It's not going to collapse our financial system and it's not going to put companies out of business. It's going to piss off entrepreneurs and force them to devise clever ways to hide their money and it's going to encourage more wasteful spending by the government.

What else is new

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
You guys worry to much, a skilled business man will always find a way to turn a profit. Besides periods of upheaval can lead to the creation of fortunes, quickly.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I am not stressing out about it. How much control do we have over the situation at this point?

The only thing I can do personally is take care of my own financial situation, and continue to look for opportunities for my business. As entrepreneurs, we just need to stay flexible and alert and we'll be fine.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.