The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone believe in fate or destiny?

thecoach

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 29, 2007
Regina, SK, Canada
I know that everyone carves their own trail and there's really no such thing as luck, but sometimes things just happen for a reason. Anyone else beleive in this a little?

Here's my situation that made me think of this a little more...

My entire working life I have never had to 'pound the pavement' to find jobs. I would apply at about 3 places and I was guaranteed to get at least one. I have honestly handed out no more than 10 resumes in my entire working career to date (11 years). Everytime I get an interview I get the job. I've been self-employed with a company for about a year now and I was approached by another advisor at a different company (same work, different brand type thing) to buy a block of business as part of their succession planning. The last few months have been a little slow and somewhat bleek for me with my current company so while I was talking to Company #2 about buying their block I was also debating of tapping out and bailing on this business/industry and getting a J.O.B. for a while to rethink my strategy for the fastlane...I was really torn and stressed on which way to go. So I dished out 2 resumes, and got interviews with both. Interview #1, I flew through the process and made it the orientation (the final step), but there was a scheduling conflict, so we still haven't worked it out and they never got back to me with a new time. Interview #2, once again flew through the interviews very quickly and made it to the final step and they decided to not procceed from there (I've worked the exact same job with a different company in the past and was VERY successful with it, so I was positive that I was a shoe in). About an hour after the call informing me that they didn't want to proceed, I got called from Company #2 and they said they want to procceed with my buying the block of business.

I think maybe it's fate that those other sure bet jobs didn't pan out so I would keep pushing myself with the buying a block of business and forcing myself to push a little harder at acheiving the goals I set out (I didn't plan on building my business this fast before this opportunity came up). When I first started with my current company my goal was to ride it out here for a couple years and get trained on the industry from them as they are an industry leader in training and developement, then buy a block of business after a few years. I'm now a year in and I'm buying a block a lot sooner than I thought. There have also been a few little things that didn't work out with my current block of business, that will turn into more avenues of income and better options for my clientelle with the new business.

Ultimately, hard work and determination are going make this really work for me, but right when I was ready to tap out, I was kind of stuck with staying in it becuase I had no other option to go to.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
YES YES YES!!!

I 100% believe in fate destiny whatever you want to call it.

certian things just have to happen. the best parts of my life happened to me out of the blue for no reason whatsoever. Every single time it happened it changed my life for the better. even the bad things.(alot of people would like to debate with that-saying you attract everything to you ect. which I also belive is true in certian instances)

I dont believe everything that happens in life is the work of fate but I do believe the most important parts of your life are. (life, love, kids, certian illnesses, major life events, ect)

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
I believe that everything truly does happen for a reason. At first you might not understand why but you will eventually. For instace, my father left when I was very young. For years I didn't understand why, but it did happen for a reason. I wouldn't be where I am today and working as hard as I am.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I think the movie "The Last Samurai" has a fitting quote here.

Katsumoto
: You believe a man can change his destiny?
Algren: I think a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed.

I honestly think its the chicken or the egg question.
Do your actions define your destiny, or does your destiny define your actions?

ErikV10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 2, 2007
I don't believe in luck. And like what Andrew said, I also believe that everything happens for a reason. Whether its good or bad, there has got to be a reason behind everything.

Like for example.. if you fail on getting something you want, all you have to do is get up and work harder. There's always a good reason why we fail but its how you get up that matters. There could always be something better waiting along the way.

I also believe that you control your own destiny. Nobody else could control it except for you alone. ;)

Erik G.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

encsteph

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 27, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Erik,

I heard this quote one time about luck that says it all to me:

“I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.”
Thomas Jefferson

Eric

ErikV10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 2, 2007
Its kind of like when people say "the harder I work, the luckier I become."

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.