The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Secret/Law Of Attraction. Anyone believe in it?

A post of a ranting nature...

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
So I haven't been big on researching the "law of attraction" but started watching some of "The Secret" (movie form, which I didn't know was a thing) on Netflix.

I turned it off after about 20 minutes because I just wasn't feeling it. But I'm curious, do any of the fastlaners practice this stuff? I have to say the whole "Quantum Physics" of it part was interesting.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
617%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
The law of attraction is that everything is created in your mind before it's created in reality.

Not thinking about big boats with girls in bikinis...

But thinking about your business. How it's going to work. How you're going to grow it. Every little detail.

You think about it and then do it, and it's a law that it will be attracted to you.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
But I'm curious, do any of the fastlaners practice this stuff?

With things like this, I try to cut it two ways.

There's the stuff which is pretty obvious goofiness. What we've got here is a clear case of taking some words from a science, which makes it respectable and authoritative in the minds of a gullible public, and using them to prop up some low-effort metaphysics.

The science gets butchered and the metaphysics is watered down. If you want to be a Buddhist or a Platonist or a Christian, just go be that. Nobody will mind.

Then there's the stuff which has value because of how it gets you to think and feel and act. I don't see anything wrong with the message that you should avoid despair and hopelessness and try to act as if your life is amazing, that you can do amazing things if you apply yourself, and that you may in fact be rewarded for keeping a positive attitude and acting accordingly.

But that brings us back to the original problem. There are plenty of writers, thinkers, artists, philosophers, and modern-day self-help gurus who can guide you in that direction without the goofiness.

You might think it doesn't matter. But I wouldn't hire a housekeeper with a messy kitchen either.

Blu H

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jun 24, 2018
Venice Beach
I consider the law of Attraction to be a double edge sword! If you're a good person with Solid morals whose not self-destructive... but believe the

Sidewalk or Slowlane will eventually bring "it" to you... then you just glued Yourself to where you are 4Life since you will lear to tolerate your shortcomings.

Sheer passion and/or anger is better suited for change than the Feel Good LOA!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
It basically boils down to ‘you become what you think about’. If you think of it like that then it works for everyone and we all use it all the time.

Think about what you have desired over the years. That bike when you were a kid, the watch you are wearing, that holiday last year. Your smartphone. The car that you are driving. You had a thought, it created a desire, and if the desire was strong enough, you fixated on it until you achieved it.

You created a single purpose, a goal, and then set things in motion to make that goal a reality by doing something to work towards fulfilling that desire.

The problem is most people only take it as far as buying a house when it will work for practically everything within reason. Maybe not that girl you truly desired at school because, while you were fixated on her, she was spending all her energy fixating about someone else.

If you want a sensible read about a down to earth guy that used the law of attraction to great success to build $100m businesses and to live the life of his dreams, (without all of the hype) then read/listen to Three Simple Steps by Trevor Blake.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
The quantum physics stuff in that video is all non-sense. If you want to understand quantum physics, you want "Engineering Mathematics" volumes one and two, followed by an undergrad text book on physics, followed by Rae's book on quantum mechanics.

The "law of attraction" confuses two topics - metaphysics and personal development.

On a metaphysical level, humans are just observers. Our consciousness observes nature and reality (note I mean reality and not your perception of reality), and then figures it out, as best our ability to integrate knowledge can figure it out (this is another topic bit depends mainly on three ideas - integration, misintegration and skepticism). Metaphysically (in terms of the fundemental building blocks of nature), we can't 'create' anything. I can't close my eyes, wish real hard, and boom, I know the lottery numbers for next week. I can't stand infront of a lava flow, pray to the gods, and magically survive. I can't conjure a gold bar out of thin air.

On a personal development level, we can choose the course of our destiny. We can take what we have, work out where we want to go, and do our best to connect the dots inbetween, using our observations of reality to help us. I can think of an idea for a business, trade with others, and get my gold bar that way.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
What we've got here is a clear case of taking some words from a science, which makes it respectable and authoritative in the minds of a gullible public, and using them to prop up some low-effort metaphysics.

Agreed- this is what it seems like.

Here's where I am interested - affirmations and visualizations have worked for me, and a lot of business leaders talk about them. But I am wondering how much of this is selective filtering and human psychology at work. Yes - when you visualize achieving a goal or obtaining something, you start seeing opportunities where you didn't see them before. Your brain is likely just filtering out those opportunities you weren't open to before, and making decisions that align with your goal (without you realizing it), and then you can chalk it up to "the universe unveiling it's plan". In fact, even health wise - your body reacts to stress and can cause sickness from negative thinking.

The way these guys explain it is when you fixate on something and imagine it you're putting out "energy" or "vibrations" and the universe attracts people and things that will help you to achieve it. This is the stuff that sounds off to me, but really who am I to say it's wrong as this field isn't the most studied one out there.

Last edited:

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I have to admit though - there is a guy named John Assaraff who was involved with the secret who does some interesting research into this stuff.

He talks about the concept of entanglement of quantum energy packets, Ervin Laszlo ran experiments where he had proven that blood cells 7 miles away from a subject they were removed from will still react to the same stressors. So anyway - his theory is that our "energy" transcends space, and this explains the law of attraction.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I have to admit though - there is a guy named John Assaraff who was involved with the secret who does some interesting research into this stuff.

He talks about the concept of entanglement of quantum energy packets, Ervin Laszlo ran experiments where he had proven that blood cells 7 miles away from a subject they were removed from will still react to the same stressors. So anyway - his theory is that our "energy" transcends space, and this explains the law of attraction.

Can you link us to the study?

The problem with this 'use' of quantum mechanics is two fold:
1. Quantum mechanics is a mathematical model to explain observations. It doesn't actually describe an individual entity
2. Quantum mechanical phenomena only apply on the quantum scale. So, quantum entangled particles have Einsteins "spooky action at a distance", but only on the quantum scale. A red blood cell is a macro scale object, there it cannot be entangled with the host.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
So I haven't been big on researching the "law of attraction" but started watching some of "The Secret" (movie form, which I didn't know was a thing) on Netflix.

I turned it off after about 20 minutes because I just wasn't feeling it. But I'm curious, do any of the fastlaners practice this stuff? I have to say the whole "Quantum Physics" of it part was interesting.

Can't summarize it and make fun of it in better terms than rational wiki so heres that link

briefly though whats happening here is psychological priming (priming bias) and confirmation bias, here watch

"blue cars"

think blue car thoughts all day today as you drive

boom! as if by magic suddenly the world will abound with blue cars

its not magic, you were just filtering them out before

but if you have no ability to critically think you might take this sudden seeming influx of blue cars as "proof" of the "law of attraction at work"

then the confirmation bias hits.

Also anyone using "quantum mechanics" to sell this is guilty of quantum woo

You're brain is not a quantum computer, nothing happening at that scale has downstream effects that have a notable effect on consciousness (no, not even "tubules") , no evidence exists that this is a thing. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but all available evidence seems to indicate (by correlating actual physical phenomenon with functional magentic resonance images of people brains and what parts activate under what circumstances) that consciouseness is something a brain does, its an epiphenomenon resulting from physical processes in the brain, the consciouseness does not cause reality (the monistic idealist, new age woowoo stance)

If you believe in magical woowoo bullets pm me and I'll sell you the most amazing hogwash I can access (and I have access to the worlds finest bullshit and hogwash mind you) , seriously, I take cash, bitcoin, checks, raw gold or jet skis. Give me your hard earned money and i'll spin you whatever comforting tale your heart desires :D

Last edited:

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016
If you're looking for a good, accessible read on how human behavior and the brain work with this sort of thing, read Stumbling On Happiness by Daniel Gilbert. Its an easy read, and will teach you a lot about your own brain's operating system.

With techniques like the Secret, you are changing how your brain perceives the world, but the mechanism is psychological not quantum mechanical. To use a metaphor coined by Scott Adams, your brain is a teacup trying to process a fire-hose's worth of information, so your brain applies filters to give you the slice of information it thinks its important to you. So, if you are thinking "life is not fair and I am victim", you will notice victimization and and interpret events through this lens. If you are thinking "opportunities are everywhere", you will see opportunities. This is what the 3B chapter of Unscripted is all about; trying to install new, value-building filters.

Daniel Gilbert sums it up as a deal between the eyes and the brain. They brain will be honest about what the eyes see, but the eyes look for what the brain wants. Confirmation bias in a nutshell. I've found that this little tidbit explains so much human behavior that used to confuse me.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Agreed with most of what people here are saying - selective filtering at work, and it happens on such an unconscious level.

Still - I am interested to see what other research comes out of this field in the future.

For now, I'm going to stick with what MJ says - math doesn't lie! =)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Math does not lie. But it only quantifies what we understand.

I fully believe that we are more powerful than we realize. We just don't have the scientific methods to understand it.

Exhosa

Cool Title
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 24, 2018
Bulgaria/Turkey
Our subconscious mind is very powerful and everybody should read and learn about it.

It’s very hard to get a positive outcome when you’re in a negative state of mind all the time if not outright impossible.

So maybe that’s something we should focus on more specifically instead of LOA.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Recently I actually used the Law of Attraction to get concert tickets haha.

But yes, I've been aware of the LOA since I was a kid. Recently I've started to actively use it again.

Thing you have to understand is that the LOA works whether you are aware of it or not. It includes everything from your thoughts, feelings, and actions.

persistencyiskey

F the BS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Oct 18, 2017
Austin, TX
If you've ever read books such as Think and Grow Rich, Psycho Cybernetics, or one small step can change your life the kaizen way, they all have consistencies (some backed by science) in regards to the power of thinking through visualization, and what our subconscious mind is capable of.

It's been said in these books that our brain cannot decipher between an actual experience and a vividly detailed visualization where you not only see, but hear, taste, smell, etc the experience.

They all refer to an infinite intelligence source that we tap in to for knowledge and inspiration (even knowledge that we obtain without ever learning about it externally, crazy stuff!), and that by increasing our thoughts about any specific thing, desire or goal, these "vibrations" get sent to our subconscious and begin to go to work in collaboration with this intelligence source.

Personally, I've read these books and I've practiced various methods (meditation, reflection, etc) that have allowed me to become more aware of my thoughts, processes, etc.

When I practice these processes, I am able to recognize and pick up ideas and concepts that are coming up to the surface level of my conscious that help me to further pursue my objectives and goals at hand.

I strongly believe that if I was not on the right frequency/wavelength levels of awareness, I would not be able to notice/recognize and grasp and absorb these ideas and concepts being presented to me from within.

If you think about and visualize certain things with enough consistency and repetition without force, your subconscious can and will extract the information you need to achieve what you are looking to attain. It's then up to you to be in the right state of mindfulness and awareness to notice it, take it and implement it!

You can fully take control of your life and your lifelong aspirations (external) through the power of the mind, amongst the even more important goals such as obtaining happiness and gratitude (internal).

It's all from within baby!

Last edited:

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I used to not believe in that stuff, but I've had too many "coincidences" occur over the past 5 years. These "coincidences" changed my mind on the topic. Also, look at the placebo effect.

Anyway, won't go into detail about my thoughts. However, I believe everything can be explained scientifically. It doesn't appear the science has caught up in this case.

All that said, you still have to work to make money. Sitting on your a$$ all day trying to will something into reality won't work. Combining the two together seems to be wise. It can't hurt.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Very interesting takes on this from everyone!

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
I consider it to be complete bunk due to a lack of evidence and it just doesn't make sense.

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
My sense is that the whole "quantum" aspect of the secret is complete garbage. I haven't done any research on it, but the personal development stuff I've read that mentions "quantum physics" makes little sense and I'm fairly certain an actual physicist would thoroughly and easily debunk it.

That being said, I recently did the "perfect day" exercise that I learned from KungFuSteve and he learned from Frank Kern. Since then, I've found myself somewhat surprised by some of the actions I've taken and decisions I've made. Actions that lead me toward the perfect day I visualized. My subconscious is at work. So, yeah, of course you need to take action. Nothing happens if you don't. But the secret/perfect day exercise can help you take those actions by formulating a clear target in your subconscious. Or something like that. Anyway, I've found visualization exercises help me take action, sometimes in ways that surprise me.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
When I focus my actions and attention in a productive way... good opportunities come because of rolling positive probabilities... not some woo-woo nonsense.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
yea, i put in work and stuff gets done.
Its like magic or quantum entanglement or something.

OlivierMo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 12, 2018
Idaho
I look at it this way. If it propels you to do things, change your energy, motivation, mindset, etc... it may simply increase the odds. Now if you think thinking without acting will do anything, I doubt it.

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
The Law of Attraction is a bad theory laced with technobabble (i.e. wrongly defined, and used, technical terms) to convey a sense of expertise and, therefore, persuade people into believing it.

Check this Street Epistemology video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXnTA9irjo0

I live by this principle: Any problem whose solution is not forbidden by the laws of physics can be solved given the right knowledge. Seek that knowledge and you'll get all the health, wealth, love and fulfillment you desire.

I hope it helps :)

Southpaw

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 17, 2018
FL
It was a very good & positive book. It really put things in more positive light for me when it first came out... But, thing is, we are evolving so fast, it is a little outdated now... It is not enough to just think big and hope for, it is also about doing, arranging, planning, focus and raising your vibrations to match what is coming up....There are also astrological aspects that are involve and multidementional events, geomagnetic storms, ascension process through out the Universe. This book does not give you a full picture of what is really going on...But, it is a good "think positive 101" starter.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Spiritual laws are higher than physical. Faith is super powerful. Focusing on something and speaking about it does change things.

I once changed a guys body from 1400 miles away...

All joking aside, he has Cerebal Palsy and after a really intense convo discussing his childhood he was able to stretch his left leg out completely and put his foot flat on the floor; a thing he hadn’t been able to do.. ever.

I staunchly refuse to believe “energy” crap but it always seems to be at work in my life in different ways. I read Think and Grow Rich and my ENTIRE life changed inside of two weeks later. It was the first time I had ever sat down and seriously considered what I wanted. I think God appreciates specific thinking. I have no time to edit this post for clarity.

Southpaw

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 17, 2018
FL
Spiritual laws are higher than physical. Faith is super powerful. Focusing on something and speaking about it does change things.

I once changed a guys body from 1400 miles away...

All joking aside, he has Cerebal Palsy and after a really intense convo discussing his childhood he was able to stretch his left leg out completely and put his foot flat on the floor; a thing he hadn’t been able to do.. ever.

I staunchly refuse to believe “energy” crap but it always seems to be at work in my life in different ways. I read Think and Grow Rich and my ENTIRE life changed inside of two weeks later. It was the first time I had ever sat down and seriously considered what I wanted. I think God appreciates specific thinking. I have no time to edit this post for clarity.

Good point... But the "crap" aside, I am more convinced we are made out of energy. Energy can change forms...And it is indeed the truth, it's always at work... You helped a person...That is amazing.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The Law of Attraction is a bad theory laced with technobabble (i.e. wrongly defined, and used, technical terms) to convey a sense of expertise and, therefore, persuade people into believing it.
Check this Street Epistemology video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXnTA9irjo0
I live by this principle: Any problem whose solution is not forbidden by the laws of physics can be solved given the right knowledge. Seek that knowledge and you'll get all the health, wealth, love and fulfillment you desire.
I hope it helps :)

Just for the sake of argument - on the idea that "you can not wish your body into growing a larger hand".

Could one not say that the "law of attraction" and "receiving" from the universe is limited to attracting the right opportunities and people, not the bending of nature/ physics - such as growing a larger hand.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

I think it's all about what you honor by counting it. If you count the wins, you are the winner. If you count the stumbles, you are looser. It's all about adjusting your glass to see what you want to see. I watch some of my low-income tenants do the dumbest things. Then they wonder why they always seem to loose in the end. I watch winner pick themselves up and step over problems. They keep going until they win.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.