The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I just action faking? (Trying to grow my digital marketing business)

Marketing, social media, advertising

RyanLPainter

Founder and Principal - Tuzo Strategies
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
I started my digital marketing business in January and was really excited.

In 3 months I pulled in 10k in revenue... this was behind what I anticipated.

My main drive was to find work for a contractor who is an amazing graphic designer and website developer. I was pulling in work for him and holding back taxes and 20% for myself.

Things felt promising.

Now, he's left because he doesn't feel motivated anymore and I'm minimally skilled in our value proposition.

Business has slowed, and I'm left feeling completely demoralized and like I never should have tried this entrepreneurial road.

I'm getting FB and Instagram ads for all kinds of SEO, marketing, funnel packages and have been barely holding myself off from buying everyone I see.

I told my partner this morning that I was ready to give up, that maybe this was a mistake.

Have I just been action faking so far? I've invested a website, emails, various design subscriptions etc.

I feel like 3 months ago I was unstoppable.

Now I feel dead in my tracks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

guidaccio05

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 8, 2019
Berlin
I started my digital marketing business in January and was really excited.

In 3 months I pulled in 10k in revenue... this was behind what I anticipated.

My main drive was to find work for a contractor who is an amazing graphic designer and website developer. I was pulling in work for him and holding back taxes and 20% for myself.

Things felt promising.

Now, he's left because he doesn't feel motivated anymore and I'm minimally skilled in our value proposition.

Business has slowed, and I'm left feeling completely demoralized and like I never should have tried this entrepreneurial road.

I'm getting FB and Instagram ads for all kinds of SEO, marketing, funnel packages and have been barely holding myself off from buying everyone I see.

I told my partner this morning that I was ready to give up, that maybe this was a mistake.

Have I just been action faking so far? I've invested a website, emails, various design subscriptions etc.

I feel like 3 months ago I was unstoppable.

Now I feel dead in my tracks
Hi Ryan, I hear you, I think for the most part it's not the easiest time to get into business. But that is why I think it is the PERFECT time.

Why? Because wantrepreneurs will quit in these times. But not real entrepreneurs..

And I think you are a real entrepreneur! 10K in 3 months is not bad at all, especially in these times.

So the question is, why are you in the digital marketing business? What drives you? Is it just the money or do you want your customers to for example survive and thrive in these times by upgrading their branding and design?

Perhaps your niche is too broad. Digital marketing is quite a general niche.

What if you went for a more specific target? You could go global and only work online, but focus on e-commerce stores that need faster websites. Or maybe artists that need a website. Or designs for yoga teachers that have had to start giving lessons online.

Tons of options in my opinion, it's all about driving those prospects into the pipeline. I would say cold outreach on LinkedIn, email and social would be my main choice. 50 new prospects per day, follow up 3 to 7 times.

I think the focus should be on becoming the best in 1 service to 1 very specific customer. Dominate that category and the companies in the niche will soon start coming to you.

Let me know what you think! May be wrong about this.

Either way all the best in these times.

RyanLPainter

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
Hi Ryan, I hear you, I think for the most part it's not the easiest time to get into business. But that is why I think it is the PERFECT time.

Why? Because wantrepreneurs will quit in these times. But not real entrepreneurs..

And I think you are a real entrepreneur! 10K in 3 months is not bad at all, especially in these times.

So the question is, why are you in the digital marketing business? What drives you? Is it just the money or do you want your customers to for example survive and thrive in these times by upgrading their branding and design?

Perhaps your niche is too broad. Digital marketing is quite a general niche.

What if you went for a more specific target? You could go global and only work online, but focus on e-commerce stores that need faster websites. Or maybe artists that need a website. Or designs for yoga teachers that have had to start giving lessons online.

Tons of options in my opinion, it's all about driving those prospects into the pipeline. I would say cold outreach on LinkedIn, email and social would be my main choice. 50 new prospects per day, follow up 3 to 7 times.

I think the focus should be on becoming the best in 1 service to 1 very specific customer. Dominate that category and the companies in the niche will soon start coming to you.

Let me know what you think! May be wrong about this.

Either way all the best in these times.
Thanks for this! I really appreciate the feedback and reflection.

In terms of a cold outreach, how do you do this? I have nearly 4k followers on Twitter, over 1k on insta, and a huge FB following, but I'm never quite sure how to pursue for my business purposes.

Let's say I target artists (my mom is a painter, so this is realistic). Is it as simple ask searching for artists on social and cold emailing about what pain points they have?

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
If you can make it so that all stakeholders feel like it was worthwhile working together, that's when you have a good thing going. It's something that can take more than one try. If the artist is willing to make $1,000 but makes $1,250, the customer is willing to pay $3,000 for what you deliver but pays $2,750, you're willing to make $750 but make $1,000, etc., you're on the right track.

When some of the parties get de-motivated and go away, the whole system falls down. That happens if they feel like they're doing more work than the rewards they're getting, or paying more for the results they're getting, or making less than the effort they're putting in.

Build it up again (or build something else up) with a value multiplier that you can add. Use that multiplier to give all parties to the transaction a market advantage that they couldn't get without your systems, processes, knowledge, and experience.

guidaccio05

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 8, 2019
Berlin
Thanks for this! I really appreciate the feedback and reflection.

In terms of a cold outreach, how do you do this? I have nearly 4k followers on Twitter, over 1k on insta, and a huge FB following, but I'm never quite sure how to pursue for my business purposes.

Let's say I target artists (my mom is a painter, so this is realistic). Is it as simple ask searching for artists on social and cold emailing about what pain points they have?
If you can leverage your audience all the better. But don't let that stop you.

I'd say first identify your ideal customer and what problem do they have. Do artists need a website to sell their stuff online? Perhaps ask your mom if she has artist friends that need a website and you can provide it to them. Or maybe there is another problem that is more important to solve right now for them. Talk to 10 to 20 of them and find out which services they would need.

Then, if you need more leads besides your moms friends, find ways to gather prospects:
1. forums of artists that talk about various topics
2. FB groups of artists
3. youtube channels

And then engage in those communities, build trust and message people in private when they interact with you on your posts.

Method #2

Build a list of potential artists in need of the service from those groups, and gather basic information like the name of their most recent painting/piece of art, and their first name. Then create a compelling cold message with their interests in mind and start a conversation.

If you identify that they have the problem then pitch your solution. If not move on to the next prospect.

All of this can be applied to any niche. Does not have to be artist or website services.

Hope it helps!

RyanLPainter

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
If you can leverage your audience all the better. But don't let that stop you.

I'd say first identify your ideal customer and what problem do they have. Do artists need a website to sell their stuff online? Perhaps ask your mom if she has artist friends that need a website and you can provide it to them. Or maybe there is another problem that is more important to solve right now for them. Talk to 10 to 20 of them and find out which services they would need.

Then, if you need more leads besides your moms friends, find ways to gather prospects:
1. forums of artists that talk about various topics
2. FB groups of artists
3. youtube channels

And then engage in those communities, build trust and message people in private when they interact with you on your posts.

Method #2

Build a list of potential artists in need of the service from those groups, and gather basic information like the name of their most recent painting/piece of art, and their first name. Then create a compelling cold message with their interests in mind and start a conversation.

If you identify that they have the problem then pitch your solution. If not move on to the next prospect.

All of this can be applied to any niche. Does not have to be artist or website services.

Hope it helps!
Wow, thank you! I really appreciate you laying this out for me.

I'll start diving in and update once I've gotten feedback.

RyanLPainter

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
Alright team, I've done it.

Here's the new version of the website: Tuzo Strategies - THE SKY IS THE LIMIT.

I've listed top-level pieces of what I do and have increased engagement on the website.

Interested in what people think.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I don't think you're action faking, just a little discouraged and don't know what the right course of action is.

Remember your goals. 1-5-10 is an excellent framework that MJ provides. But that's not enough.

Remember the focusing question: what can I do to achieve my goals, such that if done, makes everything else easier or unnecessary?

You didn't achieve your Q1 goal. That's fine, and that's no reason to quit. What you need to do is learn from your mistakes and your missed forecasts. Why did you think you can make more, and what did you not do that prevented you from making more? This focuses you away from the crap that's outside of your control like C0VlD-19 and focuses you toward stuff that's in your control. Maybe there's something you forgot, something that never came to mind, or something that you decided against for whatever reason.

Also, the agency business is not an easy one. My primary client base consists of agencies. The issues are never going to stop (but that's with literally every business) and it makes no sense to quit just because of a single issue.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
this will help:
what is your why?
get your mindset realigned!
who is your ideal client w/ the problem for which you have a solution?
how do you get in front of them? where are they? how do they ingest information?
what is your main product to solve their problem?
how do you convey that to those that need it?

RyanLPainter

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
this will help:
what is your why?
get your mindset realigned!
who is your ideal client w/ the problem for which you have a solution?
how do you get in front of them? where are they? how do they ingest information?
what is your main product to solve their problem?
how do you convey that to those that need it?
Answers to the above (to keep me accountable to the forum and myself).

What is your why: I love and live digital marketing, and I have a particular skill that I want to offer to the marketplace.

Who is your ideal client w/the problem for which you have a solution: Any business looking to develop or fine tune their digital marketing strategy.

How do you get in front of them? Where are they? How do they ingest information? Facebook/Instagram and Google ads. They spent lots of their time on Instagram and Facebook. They ingest info (from as far as I can tell) via telling stories and taking in high quality images

What if your main product to solve their problem? This is where I'm struggling. I don't have a defined product as of yet, just a series of services. I need to find a way to package these services together to really promote a specific product offering ie. a proven 5 step process to (insert solve problem).

How do you convey that to those that need it? I'm largely using paid ads on FB and Insta to try and get attention, but conversions are few and far between at the moment.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
get more serious and get more particular. if you are everything to everyone, you are nothing to no one.

who is your particular customer?
what specific audience needs a solution?
who has the problem you are trying to solve?
how do you clearly get their attention and interest in getting their problem solved?
what is your specific solution?

---------------------------
i'll rephrase your post:

digital marketing isn't really hard so i thought i would do that!

i just want some money

i heard FB was good?

i don't really provide any value.

i'm wasting ad money and not really getting results since i have no idea who i'm going after or what i would provide them.

----------------------------
what is your why? your specific outcome from this business?

RyanLPainter

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
get more serious and get more particular. if you are everything to everyone, you are nothing to no one.

how do you clearly get their attention and interest in getting their problem solved?

i'll rephrase your post:

i just want some money

i heard FB was good?

i'm wasting ad money and not really getting results since i have no idea who i'm going after or what i would provide them.

Wow, you're really helping me dig deep here. I l guess I'm not sure. I qant to be financially independent. I've always used my skills and abilities to get results for other people and I wanted to start getting results for myself. Does that explain it?

RyanLPainter

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC

i'll rephrase your post:

i just want some money

i heard FB was good?

What's really interesting is that I thought I was getting more particular when I removed website development drom my offerings. Am I still just throwing things at the wall hooing they'll stick. Yikes.

I don't really know. I guess that's the crux of my problem. Im not offering anything specific to anybody.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@RyanLPainter take the evening to think it through.
post a 3 step action and thoughts tomorrow

RyanLPainter

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
Hi everyone.

So, I've done quite a bit of thinking about what specifically I want to offer.

I've updated the website, including services and rates.

Let me know what you think: www.tuzostrategies.ca

I came to the conclusion that I was just WAY too broad on my focus. I really want to focus on social media/content/digital marketing, as these are things I am particularly skilled in and can delivery lots of good value for clients.

I did some introspection as per @ZCP and think I've managed to flush out who I'm targetting.

Let me know if you think I'm on the right track.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
so what is your 3 step action plan?
why do you keep asking for validation instead of asking clients if you can help them?
why would anyone care what you want to do?

to help those coming behind:
1. what is the outcome of your company?
2. who is your target client?
3. what do they need / what is your product to provide them value?
4. what channel (or what two channels) will reach them?
5. what is the pitch for that client / product / channel?

mvp, pitch those two channels, did you sell any?, what feedback data did you get?, pivot if needed

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I have to echo ZCP. You don't really know the value you bring to the table. You are in this to make money, which means you'll be super motivated and on top of the world when the $$ are rolling in. But when times get tough, what'cha going to do? You'll at least consider if there's an easier way to make money.

Newsflash, there is.

So what? Are you really only motivated by easy money? You could sell drugs...

Hopefully you want more than "easy money", the question is what else do you want?

In this thread you said you have expertise. But then you also said your partner was the expert and when he left you were left floundering.

Personally, there is no job I'd rather have. In the last ten years I have been offered opportunities to make twice what I'd been making, but it was always about more than just $$ for me. I make a difference in small business owners lives. Many of my clients will tell you they wouldn't still be in business if they hadn't met me when they did. That's my why. And I do through having developed and refining my own methods for SEO. I know who I can help and who I am not a good fit for.

I don't want to help "just anyone who needs digital marketing" or even anyone who needs SEO. I probably turn down half the leads I get. I used to turn away 80%.

I have goals, but very few are monetarily based. And what keeps me is going is mastering the process, culitvating relationships, improving other's businesses, being a better leader. My digital is a tool to achieve all those goals.

Even if someday I have FU money, you'll still probably find me running my boutique agency. I honestly believe I'll be 80+ and still running this. It'll look a lot different then, but I'll still love it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd ask myself how I want to be spending the days of my life 3 or 5 years from now. What kinds of conversations will you be having? What demand will you have/allow on your time?

If running a digital marketinng agency fits that box, then keep going. But if you are the type who prefers to never talk to customers, for example, then this could be a bad fit.

Lastly, I wouldn't say you are action faking. I personally hate the term. The only type of fake action, imho, is the the actions you don't learn from. If you decide to quit, then you learned this wasn't the right vehicle for you. Cool, that's progress. But if you decide to stick, then use this bit of struggle to fuel you to your next level.

At the end of the day, only you can decide if you are action faking or not. But it sounds like you are recommitting to this. Good for you. Like ZCP said, start digging into the planning of this. How to you turn people's investment in your company into a positive ROI for their business?

I'll leave you with final thought. An early business mentor of mine once said "If you are for everybody, you are actually for nobody". Its another way of saying the riches are in the niches. No, you can't help anyone who needs digital marketing. You're one guy, can you help Coca Cola? Can you help someone with a $200 budget? Can you help someone in an industry you know nothing about?

Step 1 -
Who can you provide real measurable results for?

Step 2 -
How find one of those people?

Step 3 -
How do you find more of those people?

Step 4 -
How can you get to the point where you can afford to get others (employees/contractors/VA's) to help you help them?

Step 5 - Have you covered your bases in terms of the commandment of control? (See your previous mistake of relying on a partner to handle all delivery)

Step 6 -
Rinse. Repeat.

Hope that helps.

RyanLPainter

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
Hi @ZCP and @BizyDad. I've answered your questions below. Thank you for your time to date. I really appreciate it.

1. Who is my ideal customer?

My ideal customer is a business looking k build out content on their website or social channels to drive traffic.

2. What specific audience needs a solution?

Hard to say, this kind of work is always useful. Right now I see travel agents, non-profits, health, wellness, and beauty business needing this the most.

3. Who has the problem I'm trying to solve?

See #2

4. How do I clearly get their attention and interest in getting their problem solved?

Not sure. To date, I've tried ads on FB and IG as well as Google ads and no bites. I haven't been specific with the above, though, which might explain part of my problem.

5. What is my specific solution?

I offer full service digital and content marketing services for those looking to build and engage with their audiences?

6. What is mine why?

I want to help people understand and utilize the power of digital marketing.

7. What is my specific outcome from this business?

Freedom for me, engagement and growth for my clients.

RyanLPainter

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
Forgot one...
8. What is the pitch for your client/product/service

Struggling to get a handle on your digital portfolio? Not grabbing clients' attention? At Tuzo Strategies, our nearly 10 years of experience in the digital space mean see know how to get you the attention you need to succeed.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
grandiose gibberish .....

what is your specific target client?
what do they specifically need?
what specific product(s) do you offer?
where do they go for information / where do you get in front of them?
what is your pitch / hook / thing to get them to take notice when you get in front of them?
how do they get started with you?

RyanLPainter

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
what is your pitch/hook/thing to get them to take notice when you get in front of them?

I've decided to focus on the travel and tourism industry since I've already got some clients in that industry and I'm seeing some opportunities there.

They need support and exposure after covid19, specifically capturing the attention of people looking to travel after covid19.

Products/Services I offer:

Blog marketing, content marketing, social media marketing and copywriting.

They are going to destination websites, but beyond that, I do not sure at the moment.

Pitch/hook: Start your covid19 recovery plan today with a free digital marketing audit

Email or go to my website to sign-up for the free audit.

I hope this starts to get where you're pushing me.

Gary

Elevatin' the Celebratin'
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Mar 18, 2011
San Diego
grandiose gibberish .....

what is your pitch / hook / thing to get them to take notice when you get in front of them?

Couldn't agree more with Zane's rebuttal that you get SPECIFIC.

Gary

Elevatin' the Celebratin'
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Mar 18, 2011
San Diego
I've decided to focus on the travel and tourism industry since I've already got some clients in that industry and I'm seeing some opportunities there.

They need support and exposure after covid19, specifically capturing the attention of people looking to travel after covid19.

You're trending in the right direction, but travel and tourism is still entirely too broad. Paint a picture of your ideal client. I've done this several times over the years as my business evolves. Tell a story if you have to. For example, my target client for one of my businesses:

She's 29 years old and works as an executive admin a San Diego based biotech firm. She's getting married six months from now to a 31-year-old software engineer. They live together in an apartment 3 miles from my business. She's got a broad smiles, laughs at everything her man says, and loves animals. She's got a close group of friends that respect her and doesn't call people friends unless they really are. She loves gin more so than vodka and thinks IPAs are strictly for guys. She drives a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder and has it washed every two weeks. A nutcase about party details, she always volunteers to help her friends decorate for celebrations. To her, budgets are for monthly living expenses. Once in a lifetime events are to be enjoyed, chronicled and free of budgetary nitpicking. Top-end spending is discussed but often surpassed in the heat of a celebration.

She is destined to have her engagement party at my event space. My business speaks to her sensibilities. She doesn't need to be convinced to hire us. She just needs to find us and she'll leap at the opportunity.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Can travel and tourism pay for your services at the moment?

Curious if you’ve been through any of the threads I linked to.

Happy to jump on a call sometime.

RyanLPainter

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
Can travel and tourism pay for your services at the moment?

Curious if you’ve been through any of the threads I linked to.

Happy to jump on a call sometime.
No, but I'm offering free audits and reports to Canadian tourism and travel operators because of anybody, they need help right now (I got this idea from @BizyDad).

I plan to dive into those links shortly. Been house cleaning this weekend and getting the yard weeded, so I've been mostly away from the computer except to update my website briefly and respond here (because you are all awesome and I have so very much to learn).

RyanLPainter

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
You're trending in the right direction, but travel and tourism is still entirely too broad. Paint a picture of your ideal client. I've done this several times over the years as my business evolves
Yeah, I agree. It's a broad topic. I'm not entirely sure who needs help right now except for one particular client who reached out last week and asked me if I could help them set up their socials because they didn't have any. I offered a very discounted rate because I know he's struggling (and might actually go back to him this week and offer a free set-up because I now he needs the help, and I want to see him online sooner rather than later).

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Our hotel and tourism clients have had to pause (Google Ads) campaigns as their businesses are suspended.

Clients in other industries are getting by.

Yet others are doing additional business during this virus crisis.

Consider following the cashflows and focusing on the second two?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
No, but I'm offering free audits and reports to Canadian tourism and travel operators because of anybody, they need help right now (I got this idea from @BizyDad).

Interesting. I'm curious how I inspired this connection. I didn't ask who needs help. I asked who you can provide real, measurable results for.

Keeping in mind that Canadian tourism and travel operators probably needs to sell some form of travel package to tourists, how would you propose to provide them real, measurable results they need in an era when no one is travelling? This does not compute...

I don't know what I don't know, so perhaps you have some secret special sauce to save them in the time of COVID...

Let's look at it this way. You state your ideal customer is "a business looking to build out content on their website or social channels to drive traffic." You believe that describe "everybody with a business. I think you are wrong. The only businesses I can think of that have that as a goal are media sites, news outlets, and blogs, because they derive revenue from more traffic.

If that's your niche, cool! Go for it.

But you instead are going after travel companies? They don't care about traffic. Most businesses don't care about traffic. They care about getting paying customers.

If you really want to drum up more business, then figure out who you can help get more paying customers for. Right now you think that answer is still "everybody", because you think what you do is so valuable everybody should pay you.

That attitude shows you don't get it. All due respect, your "talent" isn't all that special. There are 1000's of agencies that can "drive traffic". Can you drive an ROI?

Let's approach the question differently.

The question isn't who needs help. Everyone needs help. Who needs your specific help more than they need mine or Andy's or anyone else's help? Who can you truly kick a$$ for? Who can you help become millionaire one day?

One last thought. Everybody offers free audits. Blah blah blah. What makes your audit special? Why do I even need an audit? And you know what they say about free, you get what you pay for...

Try reach out with some facts, since you clients in the industry you should have some data. Off the top of my head, based on what you've said above, I just made this up (please insert actual facts)...

"Hey Ryan, did you know that people are still searching for trips to Germany? Yeah, even now in the age of COVID, people are still planning their upcoming trips to the land of the Black Forest. I know this because I am a marketer who specializes in the travel and tourism industry. So I know that searches for travel to Germany are only down 30%. Which means 70% of tourists are still planning. And I know traffic to my clients sites are still at the same levels they were this time last year. Yes, people are taking longer to book the travel, but if you want to be in front of your target demographic, now is the time. Your competition has stopped advertising. There has never been a more affordable time to "stay top-of-mind". If you need help crafting your post-COVID marketing strategy, the time is now. Let's have a chat."

Hopefully you can deliver on a promise like this. Hth.

RyanLPainter

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
Interesting. I'm curious about how I inspired this connection. I didn't ask who needs help. I asked who you can provide real, measurable results for.

Keeping in mind that Canadian tourism and travel operators probably need to sell some form of travel package to tourists, how would you propose to provide them real, measurable results they need in an era when no one is travelling? This does not compute...

I don't know what I don't know, so perhaps you have some secret special sauce to save them in the time of COVID...

Let's look at it this way. You state your ideal customer is "a business looking to build out content on their website or social channels to drive traffic." You believe that describe "everybody with a business. I think you are wrong. The only businesses I can think of that have that as a goal are media sites, news outlets, and blogs because they derive revenue from more traffic.

If that's your niche, cool! Go for it.

But you instead are going after travel companies? They don't care about traffic. Most businesses don't care about traffic. They care about getting paying customers.

If you really want to drum up more business, then figure out who you can help get more paying customers for. Right now you think that answer is still "everybody" because you think what you do is so valuable everybody should pay you.

That attitude shows you don't get it. All due respect, your "talent" isn't all that special. There are 1000's of agencies that can "drive traffic". Can you drive an ROI?

Let's approach the question differently.

The question isn't who needs help. Everyone needs help. Who needs your specific help more than they need mine or Andy's or anyone else's help? Who can you truly kick a$$ for? Who can you help become a millionaire one day?

One last thought. Everybody offers free audits. Blah blah blah. What makes your audit special? Why do I even need an audit? And you know what they say about free, you get what you pay for...

Try reaching out with some facts, since you clients in the industry you should have some data. Off the top of my head, based on what you've said above, I just made this up (please insert actual facts)...

"Hey Ryan, did you know that people are still searching for trips to Germany? Yeah, even now in the age of COVID, people are still planning their upcoming trips to the land of the Black Forest. I know this because I am a marketer who specializes in the travel and tourism industry. So I know that searches for travel to Germany are only down 30%. Which means 70% of tourists are still planning. And I know traffic to my client's sites is still at the same levels they were this time last year. Yes, people are taking longer to book the travel, but if you want to be in front of your target demographic, now is the time. Your competition has stopped advertising. There has never been a more affordable time to "stay top-of-mind". If you need help crafting your post-COVID marketing strategy, the time is now. Let's have a chat."

Hopefully, you can deliver on a promise like this. Huh.
So funny/annoying/frustrating that "get sales" and not "drive traffic is probably where I've gone wrong, along with the fundamentals of my offer, which I know I'm still figuring out.

I know what I have to offer isn't that special, but hearing it is good; a reminder that I'm really not alone in this space.

In terms of what I have to offer, maybe that's really the crux of my problem...I don't know and that's why I even started this thread. I felt like I was an action faking.

Maybe if I dig into my past a little it will help me explain (and to myself too).

I've been in politics for years in the local, provincial, and federal scene up here on Canada. I've worked on literally dozens of campaigns and have won some key ones. What always annoyed me was that there were times when I knew a strategic decision needed to be made to get a win and when ignored, was proven right.

Fundamentally, I know how to create campaigns that win. I've trained volunteers and candidates in engagement and written my fair share of scripts and guides.

I decided I wanted to bring my experience to structure a business for myself.

Hmm...looking at what I've written, I don't even know what VALUE I'm offering or what products I want to provide. Yeah, I've got services, but who's going to pay for them if they don't know what they get.

Still a work on progress. Thanks for helping me reflect.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.