What's new

Q&A How I am scaling my digital marketing agency

Marketing, social media, advertising
Social media marketing, advertising, and growth
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

jbfuller

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
This post is a continuation of my introduction post. I've received a lot of questions and a few emails asking me to detail the process of quitting my 9-5 and scaling my digital marketing agency to six figures. I want to be fully transparent and say that I am figuring this out as I go. What works for me may or may not work for you. I'm just detailing my journey towards financial freedom.

HOW IT BEGAN

Like many of you, my journey started out of necessity. My anxiety and depression was getting out of hand. My relationship with my wife and kids was suffering, and I knew I couldn't continue living this way. I began searching for something to pull me out of this routine. I realize a lot of my time was spent watching Netflix, scrolling on Tik-Tok, etc and knew that I should be spending my time better. That's when I decided I'd replace this time with reading. I spent probably a six months to a year of reading before I came across MJ's book, The Millionaire Fastlane . That paired with the psychology book, Influence by Robert Cialdini changed my life and kick-started my journey.

BACKGROUND TO THE PROCESS

My adult career was spent in digital marketing with ten years in the megachurch world. That was incredibly stressful and I felt as if I was manipulating people. I knew I needed out and I assumed the quickest way out was to repurpose my creative skills and sell them to the marketplace. I noticed many services were moving to a subscription based model and I thought I'd try that route.

THE PROCESS

At that time, I was making 60,000 at my church job. That was the number I needed to replace.

Step 1 was building out my portfolio and creating a website. Wordpress is the industry standard, but requires a lot of upkeep. For a simple marketing site, I decided to use squarespace. I built the website, showcased my portfolio from my career, and listed out my prices. At a mid-tiered 1500 a month, I knew I needed 3.33 clients to make my salary. THREE CLIENTS! That's when this seemed a lot easier than I had originally anticipated. Ask yourself this, with your skill-set, can you find a handful of people to pay you a monthly retainer to do the same thing? Absolutely you can!

Step 2. I attended every stupid networking event I could. Most of them were terrible, but I was planting seeds. Any instance that I could talk about my business, I did it! I threw all insecurities and self-doubt out the window and just faked confidence along the way. I was completely outside my comfort zone, but I persisted. It was all about networking and pitching my services to anyone who would listen. I posted on social media regularly, I added every business owner I could find, I tracked down their business emails and cold-emailed them, I was annoyingly persistent. And guess what happened? I got my first client. Then my second. Then my third. That was my 60k salary and I quit my job immediately and reclaimed about 50 hours a week.

Step 3: Now with an additional 50 hours a week in my pocket, it was time to scale. Something funny happened though when I quit my 9-5. People immediately began to take me seriously. If I had escaped the rat-race, people were now interested in how I did it. I gained my largest client (another 60k a year) after they heard that I had quit my job to start my own agency. It was as if they were waiting for me to quit to sign on. As if me putting suddenly added credibility to what I was doing. A few others followed after that putting me between 150-200k in just a years time. All of this change inspired by MJ's book!

Step 4:
This is where I'm currently at in my process. My goal now is to continue to scaled and focus on marketing my business. I recently scrubbed a lot of my old social media advertising and am rebuilding with a strategy this time. I'm creating weekly video content for social, launching a new podcast in my community that interviews local business owners and entrepreneurs, and other marketing efforts to establish my company as the leading authority for marketing and creative services in my local area. While local isn't my end-game, it's low-hanging fruit while I continue to scale. Any additional clients I bring on, I intend on using that money to hire other employees and regain more of my time.

Once that time is reclaimed, my goal is a money-tree. I'd love to find an additional means to wealth that can pay me aside from my time, much like MJ suggest.

I hope this gives you a little bit of insight into my journey. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Vjot qutv ot e dupvopaevoup ug nz opvsufadvoup qutv. O'wi sidiowif e muv ug raitvoupt epf e gix ineomt etloph ni vu fiveom vji qsuditt ug raovvoph nz 9-5 epf tdemoph nz fohovem neslivoph ehipdz vu toy gohasit. O xepv vu ci gammz vseptqesipv epf tez vjev O en gohasoph vjot uav et O hu. Xjev xuslt gus ni nez us nez puv xusl gus zua. O'n katv fiveomoph nz kuaspiz vuxesft gopepdoem gsiifun.

JUX OV CIHEP
Moli nepz ug zua, nz kuaspiz tvesvif uav ug pidittovz. Nz epyoivz epf fiqsittoup xet hivvoph uav ug jepf. Nz simevouptjoq xovj nz xogi epf loft xet taggisoph, epf O lpix O duamfp'v dupvopai mowoph vjot xez. O cihep tiesdjoph gus tunivjoph vu qamm ni uav ug vjot suavopi. O siemobi e muv ug nz voni xet tqipv xevdjoph Pivgmoy, tdsummoph up Vol-Vul, ivd epf lpix vjev O tjuamf ci tqipfoph nz voni civvis. Vjev't xjip O fidofif O'f siqmedi vjot voni xovj siefoph. O tqipv qsucecmz e toy nupvjt vu e zies ug siefoph cigusi O deni edsutt NK't cuul, Vji Nommoupeosi Getvmepi. Vjev qeosif xovj vji qtzdjumuhz cuul, Opgmaipdi cz Sucisv Doemfopo djephif nz mogi epf lodl-tvesvif nz kuaspiz.

CEDLHSUAPF VU VJI QSUDITT

Nz efamv desiis xet tqipv op fohovem neslivoph xovj vip ziest op vji nihedjasdj xusmf. Vjev xet opdsifocmz tvsittgam epf O gimv et og O xet nepoqamevoph qiuqmi. O lpix O piifif uav epf O ettanif vji raodlitv xez uav xet vu siqasquti nz dsievowi tlommt epf timm vjin vu vji neslivqmedi. O puvodif nepz tiswodit xisi nuwoph vu e tactdsoqvoup cetif nufim epf O vjuahjv O'f vsz vjev suavi.

VJI QSUDITT

Ev vjev voni, O xet neloph 60,000 ev nz djasdj kuc. Vjev xet vji pancis O piifif vu siqmedi.

Tviq 1 xet caomfoph uav nz qusvgumou epf dsievoph e xictovi. Xusfqsitt ot vji opfatvsz tvepfesf, cav siraosit e muv ug aqliiq. Gus e tonqmi neslivoph tovi, O fidofif vu ati traesitqedi. O caomv vji xictovi, tjuxdetif nz qusvgumou gsun nz desiis, epf motvif uav nz qsodit. Ev e nof-voisif 1500 e nupvj, O lpix O piifif 3.33 dmoipvt vu neli nz temesz. VJSII DMOIPVT! Vjev't xjip vjot tiinif e muv ietois vjep O jef usohopemmz epvodoqevif. Etl zuastimg vjot, xovj zuas tlomm-tiv, dep zua gopf e jepfgam ug qiuqmi vu qez zua e nupvjmz siveopis vu fu vji teni vjoph? Ectumavimz zua dep!

Tviq 2. O evvipfif iwisz tvaqof pivxusloph iwipv O duamf. Nutv ug vjin xisi vissocmi, cav O xet qmepvoph tiift. Epz optvepdi vjev O duamf veml ecuav nz catopitt, O fof ov! O vjsix emm optidasovoit epf timg-fuacv uav vji xopfux epf katv gelif dupgofipdi emuph vji xez. O xet dunqmivimz uavtofi nz dungusv bupi, cav O qistotvif. Ov xet emm ecuav pivxusloph epf qovdjoph nz tiswodit vu epzupi xju xuamf motvip. O qutvif up tudoem nifoe sihamesmz, O effif iwisz catopitt uxpis O duamf gopf, O vsedlif fuxp vjios catopitt ineomt epf dumf-ineomif vjin, O xet eppuzophmz qistotvipv. Epf haitt xjev jeqqipif? O huv nz gostv dmoipv. Vjip nz tidupf. Vjip nz vjosf. Vjev xet nz 60l temesz epf O raov nz kuc onnifoevimz epf sidmeonif ecuav 50 juast e xiil.

Tviq 3: Pux xovj ep effovoupem 50 juast e xiil op nz qudliv, ov xet voni vu tdemi. Tunivjoph gappz jeqqipif vjuahj xjip O raov nz 9-5. Qiuqmi onnifoevimz cihep vu veli ni tisouatmz. Og O jef itdeqif vji sev-sedi, qiuqmi xisi pux opvisitvif op jux O fof ov. O heopif nz meshitv dmoipv (epuvjis 60l e zies) egvis vjiz jiesf vjev O jef raov nz kuc vu tvesv nz uxp ehipdz. Ov xet et og vjiz xisi xeovoph gus ni vu raov vu tohp up. Et og ni qavvoph taffipmz effif dsifocomovz vu xjev O xet fuoph. E gix uvjist gummuxif egvis vjev qavvoph ni civxiip 150-200l op katv e ziest voni. Emm ug vjot djephi optqosif cz NK't cuul!

Tviq 4: Vjot ot xjisi O'n dassipvmz ev op nz qsuditt. Nz huem pux ot vu dupvopai vu tdemif epf gudat up neslivoph nz catopitt. O sidipvmz tdsaccif e muv ug nz umf tudoem nifoe efwisvotoph epf en sicaomfoph xovj e tvsevihz vjot voni. O'n dsievoph xiilmz wofiu dupvipv gus tudoem, meapdjoph e pix qufdetv op nz dunnapovz vjev opviswoixt mudem catopitt uxpist epf ipvsiqsipiast, epf uvjis neslivoph iggusvt vu itvecmotj nz dunqepz et vji miefoph eavjusovz gus neslivoph epf dsievowi tiswodit op nz mudem esie. Xjomi mudem otp'v nz ipf-heni, ov't mux-jephoph gsaov xjomi O dupvopai vu tdemi. Epz effovoupem dmoipvt O csoph up, O opvipf up atoph vjev nupiz vu josi uvjis inqmuziit epf siheop nusi ug nz voni.

Updi vjev voni ot sidmeonif, nz huem ot e nupiz-vsii. O'f muwi vu gopf ep effovoupem niept vu xiemvj vjev dep qez ni etofi gsun nz voni, nadj moli NK tahhitv.

O juqi vjot howit zua e movvmi cov ug optohjv opvu nz kuaspiz. Og zua jewi epz raitvoupt, giim gsii vu etl.
Vjot ot siemmz hsiev. Zua esi edvaemmz qutvoph xjev zua esi edvaemmz fuoph up e fez vu fez cetot. O'n emtu tvesvoph uav et zua jewi, sappoph ep upmopi fohovem neslivoph ehipdz gudatoph up siem itvevi neslivoph. Qsucecmz xi duamf kuop gusdit epf dupraisus vjot cietv vuhivjis. Xjev fu zua vjopl?

O dunqmivimz nottif vjot qutv emuphtofi zuas opvsufadvoup vjsief. Vjeplt gus veloph vji voni vu tjesi.

E gix raitvoupt gsun nz tofi:
- Xjev ecuav zuas qesvpis? Fu zua lpux xusl vuhivjis op zuas catopitt? Jux fu zua tjesi vji xusl?
- Djeshoph 1500$/nupvj ot onqsittoph. Jux fof zua veshiv zuas qsutqidvt?
- Fup'v zua giim vuu monovif/medloph dupvsum cz atoph Traesitqedi?

O siemmz muul gusxesf vu tii zuas qsuhsitt, zuas tvusz ot emsiefz siemmz optqosoph. Tii zua tuup!

Vjot ot siemmz hsiev. Zua esi edvaemmz qutvoph xjev zua esi edvaemmz fuoph up e fez vu fez cetot. O'n emtu tvesvoph uav et zua jewi, sappoph ep upmopi fohovem neslivoph ehipdz gudatoph up siem itvevi neslivoph. Qsucecmz xi duamf kuop gusdit epf dupraisus vjot cietv vuhivjis. Xjev fu zua vjopl?
Emtu tvesvoph uav op siem itvevi neslivoph, vszoph vu gohasi iwiszvjoph uav epf tvesv uavsiedj et ximm

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom