• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD! Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use...

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by LightHouse, Mar 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hydemx

hydemx Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $124
    I've set everything up in Asana.

Being a software developer, I'm very familiar with tools like Trello and Asana, and I must say I'm not a big fan of Trello, even though I've used it several times in the past years. I was very excited to find about Favro, because it's really really cool, and it feels just like the tool I need, however I signed up for a trial and found out that they've removed the single user option. I don't have a team for now, which makes Favro not suitable for me because of the pricing model, but definitely it was an amazing discovery here.

Thanks @LightHouse and all the amazing guys who have contributed to the thread. As an action faker in rehab, I'm focusing on learning the basics of execution.

lowtek, Andy Black and LightHouse like this.
  2. FinnVenture

FinnVenture New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $43
    Thank you Lighthouse for sharing this amazing system and tool! I've been using it for the past 2 weeks and I have been getting a lot done! LIFE CHANGER. Looking forward to combing through the thread for additional tips!

Artifax and LightHouse like this.
  3. GregDott

GregDott Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $414
    Thanks a ton @LightHouse

I've been using Trello for a while to manage individual projects, but had not even considered a meta-system for managing everything from higher up. I've been managing individual projects fine, but it's the coordination of doing many unrelated projects that I was missing.

Nice that you incorporated the One Thing.

Putting this into practice now!

LightHouse likes this.
  4. 12B745

12B745 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $130
    I read a memory book recently, which kind of touched on something in the same vein. Essentially a humans memory can only juggle so many mental tasks at once, and if you don't write it down, that takes mental processing power away. Because while working, you're like, oh yea, doctors appointment tomorrow, have to pick up eggs, need to take out trash tonight. However, when you write it down, either with this system or something else, then that frees up mental capacity for things.

LightHouse likes this.
  5. LightHouse

LightHouse Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $28,580
    Love hearing your all's feedback on the system (good or bad!) and how you are using it. This is a great feedback loop.

To update on Favro, I talked to their community manager Robin and he said offcially they really do not have an individual plan anymore. I am guessing not cost effective. They will make special exceptions but it didn't sound like it was something they were super thrilled about.

Although I am still using favro on an individual plan, I may dig around and find something similar that has a free tier, or if there are local apps that use trello that would add the extra functionality and then release a second version of this thread. Trello is great because of the integrations from it being so popular, but I think the efficiency of the added features of favro and other programs is what makes them a powerhouse.

If any of you have the time to review some software out there, I'd love to see what you came up with.

6. Startup Steve

Startup Steve Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $452
    I've been using kanban boards for business management, product development, personal activities for a long time. Couple it with outsourcing/delegating and you get massive output!

For those that have web hosting, there is an open source (FREE) kanban tool:

tool: Taiga.io
    quick peek: Taiga
    full demo: Taiga
    code: Taiga.io

Unlimited boards, users, attachments, etc....
    Hope that helps someone.

7. srodrigo

srodrigo New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $62
    Thanks @LightHouse, this looks really useful. It's great that you took the time to explain your system.

I tried other systems in the past, specially Trello boards, but I had a few problems:
    • Too many ideas/projects/goals that never get started. Literarily dozens of them, which stressed me out and remained there forever.
    • No sense of progress when the items in progress where long projects, instead of smaller items.
    I wonder how these things would fit in the system you propose. Here's my guess:
    • For avoiding having the Someday column bloated, limit it to a maximum of 10 items. At least for me, my interests change quickly enough (3-6 months) to get ideas become obsolete. If so, I could just have a Google Doc with a pool of ideas, but I think having them in the GSD Trello board is not a good approach for me.
    • For getting constant reward (moving things to Done), split projects and goals into smaller items. Here I have a couple of questions though:
    1. How would you split things like "Learning how to Draw"? Things like that are a life-time journey, so maybe the problem is that they are too broad. I was thinking about setting projects or goals that are more quantifiable (e.g. "Finish that online course about X", or "Learn how to draw characters with just a pencil", "Learn how to colour manga style"). This is also good for feeling like you make progress more often.
    2. I'm unsure about things like projects that I already track on other apps (e.g. Github or Gitlab for software projects, where you can have the issues related to that particular project, even set up a ToDo/Doing/Done kanban board). I would avoid duplicating items 1:1 on the GSD board, as this creates a lot of management overhead, so not sure how it could be useful in this particular case. Maybe GSD would be more useful for things that aren't related to writing software (e.g. marketing, creating assets), and I could leave the "software" boards out (keep the coding tasks on those specific tools), but when I spent the day just coding, this would remove the sense of doing a task related to my goals (the first item in your Today column). I'm struggling to figure out what's a good approach here.
    I'm setting GSD up, so maybe I'll figure out some of these questions as I use it. I read about half of the comments (7 pages), so maybe the things I mention have already been discussed (if so, I apologise in advance).

8. silentownage001

silentownage001 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $283
    Quick question. I have the Trello calendar linked to my Google calendar. When something has a due date it sets it only for an hour on my Google calendar. Is there a way to adjust the time for meetings and such?

9. Iwokeup

Iwokeup Aut viam invenium aut faciam Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $20,963
    I've migrated towards using ASANA, as it's much better at keeping all of the loose threads of a project organized.

Trello is great for smaller tasks that don't necessarily fit within a larger PM need.

Asana's kanban boards suck though.

10. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $47,691
    Can you elaborate on the mechanics of this?

I’m wondering if it’s something that would be useful for me

YoungPadawan likes this.
  11. Iwokeup

Iwokeup Aut viam invenium aut faciam Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $20,963
    So let's say that I have a big project: "Bring product X to market"

Asana lets you take that big project and break it up logically (and very visually) into it's component sub-tasks (Asana calls them sections). When you click on that section you get a nice sidebar popout that shows you the progress on that subtask/section and you can link it all to a global progress chart.

Example: Launch a new supplement.
    • Section: Market need/research
    • Section: supplement formula?
    • Section: marketing approach
    • Section: channels
    • Section: manufacturing
    • Section: packaging.
    > I find that this works very well for me.

> What's more is that you can divide it out to other people (especially employees that aren't co-located) and depending upon how you set it up, it allows for some very nice collaboration.
    • With Trello, it's extremely cumbersome to try and make one mega-card, and it kills momentum b/c (for me) it's difficult to appreciate progress.
    • If you try and break it up into multiple component cards, it's just a confusing mess.
    • Edit to add: I like Trello's simplicity for discrete, day to day tasking/GSD stuff.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018 at 12:58 AM
    amp0193 likes this.
  12. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $47,691
    I agree with your trello comments, and it seems like this could be something that could work with the way id like to do it.

Thanks for explaining it, I’ll look into Asana some more

Iwokeup likes this.
  13. jcvlds

jcvlds JC FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,504
    @amp0193 Look into Podio or Monday in addition to Asana if you’re looking into a more project management tool. Like mentioned, they are a bit more geared towards PM rather than just task management. I’m using podio at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amp0193 likes this.
  14. GradyS

GradyS New Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $72
    I'm really glad I found this thread. Been using Trello for about 2 weeks now and it's changed my focus and productivity. The one issue I had on desktop was the long scroll to the right. However I found a Chrome plugin called "List Layouts for Trello" on the chrome store. Now I've got about three rows on my screen instead of one. No more wasted space. I am not affiliated with the plugin in any way.

List Layouts for Trello

LightHouse likes this.
  15. srodrigo

srodrigo New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $62
    After using this system for a few days, I sort of answered the questions I had above.

I share my current board. I've adapted the original one to my needs. I use it for both my projects (mostly video games these days) and personal stuff (most of it related to my projects as well).

gsd.png

I renamed the "goals" and "projects" subsections, as I find it more useful to group them by how long they should take (mid/long-term). I also struggled to differentiate between goals and projects, and some projects and goals can be short or long anyway, so I used projects for work that will have an output, and goals for broader/more abstract things.

I added a reminder for reviewing the Inbox and Someday / Ideas columns, to avoid them grow with stale items that are not important anymore. (This is one of the main problems I had in the past).

I added an extra "Rules" column for remembering how my system works. I might get rid of it in the future, but for now I have a look from time to time to stick to the plan. It's work in progress, so it keeps changing.

For medium/large goals/projects, I just add smaller items as I make progress. For example, if one of my goals is to read a book, I add an item per chapter. This way I can keep track of the progress, and plan one or two chapters for today. Same thing for my software projects, where I have another board on a different platform, specific to them. I just duplicate the items on the GSD board, as I see it as a tool for planning and keeping the focus. I use the external boards for the details. I don't like the duplication, but I didn't find a better way.