The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

10+ Years IT Contracting at €300-900/day (Learnings)

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
I was an IT contractor for over 10 years, earning €300-600/day (with the occasional €900/day short-term gigs).

I've had a few AdWords jobs and contracts since 2009 (and am currently still in one long running one).

In that time, I've learnt how to:
  1. Build relationships with recruitment agents.
  2. Build a network of other contractors.
  3. Get my "name out there".
  4. Craft CVs that get interviews.
  5. Craft cover letters that get the CVs read.
  6. Get recruitment agents to " . just . open . the . damn . email . already . "
  7. Get to the interviews.
  8. Have a great interview.
  9. Negotiate rates and terms.
  10. Get contract extensions (don't just be valuable, show them you're valuable).
  11. Keep up to date with constantly changing technology.
  12. Move from slow-lane models to where I divorce my time from my revenue (still in progress!)
  13. Work out who you’re really working for!
  14. (Lots more...)

I'm learning to create videos, and have a series in mind that I'll drop in here.

Hope they help.

Andy

A friend of mine is an IT guy.. pretty good at what he does but he's not very the sales type of guy. Looking for clients and all that is just not for him but he wants some gigs/contracts.

I am in sales for over 4 years now ( telecom services ) and I'd be ready to take care of that part so we can partner up to start a business.
The only problem : I'm not the IT type at all...

What's the best way to learn enough about IT to be able to sell it
I was a I.T. freelancer for 20+ years and made decent money £20K per month but the downside I was always on the road. It was long hours as clients paying you £650+ per day wanted a return and quite right. I got into freelancing as I was broke! it was simple as that. I learned new skills and kept ahead of the curve offering 110% value to my clients.
Do I miss those days no I do not as it did not scale as I could not clone myself plus operatings costs soared which crippled my net profit. I now have businesses that operate 24x7 and do the thing I like to do. Please do not be put off by freelancing I just hit a income wall and realised there must be more efficient ways to make money rather than trading time for money.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was a I.T. freelancer for 20+ years and made decent money £20K per month but the downside I was always on the road. It was long hours as clients paying you £650+ per day wanted a return and quite right. I got into freelancing as I was broke! it was simple as that. I learned new skills and kept ahead of the curve offering 110% value to my clients.
Do I miss those days no I do not as it did not scale as I could not clone myself plus operatings costs soared which crippled my net profit. I now have businesses that operate 24x7 and do the thing I like to do. Please do not be put off by freelancing I just hit a income wall and realised there must be more efficient ways to make money rather than trading time for money.
Exactly what I learned. I wasn't on the road but on client sites for months or years, and at a slightly lower rate. I don't miss those days, and I still enjoy having consulting clients that I work-from-home for. Having those consulting clients helps me see where I can build products/services that can scale without so much of my time.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
Exactly what I learned. I wasn't on the road but on client sites for months or years, and at a slightly lower rate. I don't miss those days, and I still enjoy having consulting clients that I work-from-home for. Having those consulting clients helps me see where I can build products/services that can scale without so much of my time.
I wrote a book on my freelance journey it sells on Amazon it's only £1.90 gives some good advice for newbies.

If you can remember the publication Freelance Informer you were in the great era of contracting!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Computer Contractor Guide 3D.jpg
    Computer Contractor Guide 3D.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 1

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I wrote a book on my freelance journey it sells on Amazon it's only £1.90 gives some good advice for newbies.

If you can remember the publication Freelance Informer you were in the great era of contracting!!!!!!!!
Dude! Are you selling that to all the IT folks out there who think about contracting but aren't?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

Did you happen to have this available for the states?

I am actually signing my very first IT Contract today for self-employment.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas