The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Young fastlaners: SHUT DOWN ALL SOCIAL MEDIA

Brandonistaken

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 30, 2023

Important note:​

The internet is the most powerful communication tool in the history of mankind.

All powerful tools are inherently dangerous and need to be used properly.

There is a huge difference between using a tool, and being crushed by it. It all depends on how you use them.

This thread is not about demonizing certain technologies, or black and white thinking.

I'm not saying anything is inherently good or bad, but what I am saying is that a lot of people are using these tools in a way that is not conducive to good mental health and positive business results.

If you're using various platforms to improve your business, further your education, connect with people, and improve the quality of your life - that's great. You are using these tools in a smart way.

However, you find yourself spending the entire day glued to a screen, heavily addicted to watching pixels move around, and you're wasting your time, energy, life, and you're feeling horrible as a result of your behavior, this thread might be of interest.

Target audience:​

Beginner fastlaners that don't have anything positive to gain from being on social media or other entertainment platforms, and are just suffering as a result of this unnecessary addiction.

The large number of forum posts in which beginner fastlaners complain about this issue, is a clear indication that this problem is widespread, even among people that are actively trying to build a better future for themselves.

If we want to be the 1%, we cannot behave like the 99%.

Let's explore this idea.

Young fastlaners:​

SHUT DOWN all the social media, and the bullshit apps that are not helping you on the entrepreneurial path that you've chosen.

Don't aim for moderation, don't try to find any balance, because the is no such thing.

Everything has been designed from the ground up to be highly addictive and to grab your attention for as long as possible, in the hopes of you clicking on a stupid ad or buying some bullshit that doesn't help you in any way whatsoever.

Besides the huge amount of wasted time and energy, that cannot be recovered, you are very likely to become addicted to those apps.

If you let this happen, physiological changes to the brain will occur, which will result in the impairment of the prefrontal cortex.

This will result in the following symptoms:
  • poor executive function (translation: can't do the F*cking work)
  • goldfish attention span
  • no focus
  • low energy / low motivation
  • poor long-term planning ability
  • bad choices

You can't be successful in anything, but especially in business, if your brain is not firing on all cylinders.

These changes are not permanent, and they can be fully reversed if you stop everything right now.

In a few months time, your brain will be back to normal, and you will be amazed at your new-found motivation and superior cognitive function.

If you want to be the 1%, you can't do what the other 99% is doing.

All the information that you need can be found on this forum.

Let this be your "social media".

You will learn many useful things that are nowhere to be found anywhere else on the internet.

(Just don't get addicted to the forum, and don't turn it into an action-fake)

View attachment 48584

Thanks @Matt Lee for inspiring me to write this post.
Check out his comment here.
Thanks for this great post about the dangers of social media you made some good points

i can relate to this because when i use to be so hooked on to social media literally everyday i didn't had the ability to concentrate and think, i was feeling like shit all the time, worrying about other people if they like me or not etc. I wasted so much time on it.

I use social media usually when im on the go but not as much as before and since i did the 30 days detox challenge last year it has improved my time on it.

But like you said using this forum as your social media is the best choice you can make, there is so much knowledge and interesting people you can connect with.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
My addiction used to be Zerohedge, Fort Knox Gold and Tower 7. If you were in the precious metals cult, you know what I am talking about. It took me years to quit it to realize it is a time-wasting hobby to wait for the world to burn in flame and hope and pray to get rich.

One of the Cult leaders went crazy with multiple divorces. He sold his inherited family business and converted all into precious metal bars, food, and ammo, waiting for apocalyptic financial and social armageddon. He used to have 100k-200k subscribers on youtube in 2012/13, which was a big thing.

Last edited:

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
This thread motivated to delete FB and Instagram from my phone three days ago. While I use as a tool to promote and for HR communications I'm at a cycle where I can put to the side while focusing on immense personal changes. I also logged out on my computer and have the plan to reintegrate after a month but more healthy and strategic. I can say it already feels so amazing not having these holes on my phone and daily life.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Things that I did over the last year to reduce screentime:
1. Freedom (shut down online access/text/games/etc) for after 8.45 pm to 4:30 am
2. Screen time display, to show how much time I spent on screen
3. organized screen to only show the apps I use. If I barely use it, then it's not on here.
4. 2nd screen with about 6 links to popular websites (weather/local emergency list/etc) that I can click and go to directly.
Screenshot_20230503-134244.png

FBMLT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Mar 25, 2023

There is a huge difference between using a tool, and being crushed by it. It all depends on how you use them.

This thread is not about demonizing certain technologies, or black and white thinking.

I'm not saying anything is inherently good or bad, but what I am saying is that a lot of people are using these tools in a way that is not conducive to good mental health and positive business results.

If you're using various platforms to improve your business, further your education, connect with people, and improve the quality of your life - that's great. You are using these tools in a smart way.

However, you find yourself spending the entire day glued to a screen, heavily addicted to watching pixels move around, and you're wasting your time, energy, life, and you're feeling horrible as a result of your behavior, this thread might be of interest.

Beginner fastlaners that don't have anything positive to gain from being on social media or other entertainment platforms, and are just suffering as a result of this unnecessary addiction.

The large number of forum posts in which beginner fastlaners complain about this issue, is a clear indication that this problem is widespread, even among people that are actively trying to build a better future for themselves.

Let's explore this idea.

SHUT DOWN all the social media, and the bullshit apps that are not helping you on the entrepreneurial path that you've chosen.

Don't aim for moderation, don't try to find any balance, because the is no such thing.

Everything has been designed from the ground up to be highly addictive and to grab your attention for as long as possible, in the hopes of you clicking on a stupid ad or buying some bullshit that doesn't help you in any way whatsoever.

Besides the huge amount of wasted time and energy, that cannot be recovered, you are very likely to become addicted to those apps.

If you let this happen, physiological changes to the brain will occur, which will result in the impairment of the prefrontal cortex.

• no focus
  • bad choices

You can't be successful in anything, but especially in business, if your brain is not firing on all cylinders.

These changes are not permanent, and they can be fully reversed if you stop everything right now.

In a few months time, your brain will be back to normal, and you will be amazed at your new-found motivation and superior cognitive function.

You will learn many useful things that are nowhere to be found anywhere else on the internet.

View attachment 48584

If this helps anyone out, this is small detailed plan on how I cut out social media while still keeping them for business purposes:

I downloaded the Freedom app which is a content blocker: Deleted all social media apps from my mobile and blocked the IOS app store so that I cannot redownload them again.

To stop myself from Deleting the Freedom App on iPhone I did the following:

1. Open the Settings app on your iOS device
  2. Select Screen Time
  3. Select Content and Privacy Restrictions
  4. Tap iTunes and App Store Purchases
  5. Tap Deleting Apps
  6. Select Don’t Allow
  7. Go back to Screen Time Settings. Select Use Screen Time Password
  8. Have a friend set the Screen Time password for you.

I did not block the apps for my Laptop, however, i use the chrome extension called "News Feed Eradicator" which as the implies removes the news feed from a number of different social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Youtube etc )

This allows me to strictly use social media for business purposes only. I have tried to quit social media without these tools in the past but was never successful ( I equate it to trying to quit a drug and having that drug available at a moment's notice 24/7)

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022

Let's explore this idea.

• no focus
  • bad choices

View attachment 48584

Thanks for this post.
Me, It was Facebook but I managed to control it. I replaced it with youtube, Gmail, Google, this forum for my personal development and WhatsApp for my relationships.

If you're stuck in a job you hate, with lousy pay and you're searching with a thirst for freedom and trying to escape I don't think you would spend your time on stuff that doesn't get you closer to your goals. . You better focus on the person you want to become. As a beginner or old fastlaner, if one day we find ourselves scrolling on these social media, we must find out how the owners of these media manage to steal our attention and seek to do better than them in our own systems. to make the blind addictedremaining (99% who have not yet become aware of the negative effects of these media).

But above all, everything is a question of priority and choice.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
I don't want to write my PhD thesis here, so I'll keep it short:
  • the more "internet fun" you have, the more unhappy you will be
  • anything that artificially raises your dopamine without requiring a substantial amount of effort is highly destructive and highly addictive
  • the dopamine reward circuitry requires 3-6 months to heal
  • shut down all social media

Fantastic thread. I have cut out all social from my life some weeks ago, save for YouTube. I feel by watching and listening to successful people, I am spending time with them, and it's changing me for the better. But I do admit, I still spend too much time there, and while I'm watching one video, I tend to be scrolling looking for the next.

This year I did some dopamine detox days, cutting out all electronics for the day, and they have been some of the most productive, happy and peaceful days I can think of this year.

Going forwards, I plan to spend the next several months off social media and more time here. If I do return to social media, I'll be a producer, and probably do it on something like Youtube rather than on some garbage like TikTok, as the former requires effort and can be very fruitful in the long-run.

Ismo29

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Dec 20, 2022
My thread on a similar topic was a bit controversial when I posted it but I guess the world is waking up:

In an effort to challenge my beliefs I did engage in social media after posting that thread (I tested Instagram) and it didn't work business-wise or (particularly) personal-wise. It just makes you feel like absolute shit plus the amount of time you waste is ridiculous.

And as others have said it here, you can't win against the smartest engineers in the world. You just can't. No matter how disciplined you are, all the viral content is designed in such a way that it appeals to every human being. If you spend time on social media (particularly the worst ones: TikTok, Instagram, and Facebook), you'll get sucked in, guaranteed.

I'll never build a business that relies on social media.

I'd rather have the world's most boring business than be exposed to the narcissism and toxicity of social media.

This stuff is getting worse and worse, with more polarizing and dumber content every day.

If you want to make it on social media (as an individual creator) it pays to be the most extreme and most polarizing person. No subtlety is allowed.

It all has to be black or white, with whatever you're selling the only miraculous drug. Then people who watch you regularly become your little versions and you end up with a world of extreme black-and-white-thinking clones of the biggest influencers.

There's a fascinating article about it:

You can scroll to "People all look the same" for just the part about the impact of Instagram on how people (want to) look.

Great post. I quit facebook back in 2014, never signed up to twitter, IG etc.. My only current SM vice is Youtube (which can be a massive time sink, especially if you're dumb enough to write/read comments).

The last part of your post resonated with me. I used to be very active on facebook when I was younger (between 2008 - 2013/14)and one of the things that absolutely disturbed me the most about the whole experience was how easy it was to garner followers and have strangers send you personal messages, all because you took a strong position on one issue or another. This used to happen a lot on facebook. I'd come across some article that garnered a strong emotional reaction from me, which would lead to me sharing my (often very black/white) opinion on the topic. This in turn led to people liking and engaging with my posts, some even sending me PM's and trying to befriend me. Eventually I started having a bunch of strangers as "friends" and my entire feed became a giant outrage fest. Back then I knew nothing about the perverse incentives that have been engineered into the Facebook algorithms. I simply quit because the whole experience was terrible. If you're not careful, you can easily end up finding yourself in some echo-chamber of misery and half-truths.

I also believe that some people are prone to addictions. I'm an information junky and used to be a bookworm as a child. The easy access to information on SM can be highly addictive especially when you combine it with infinite scroll, pseudo-relationships and quantifiable social validation in the form of likes and such.

If I were to use SM for business purposes I'd probably just manage my accounts through 3rd party software instead of being present on those platforms myself. There are probably others who can manage it just fine though. Just like some people can go for a drink and still be functional human beings while others end up spiraling out of control. Knowing your own limitations is important.

Ismo29

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Dec 20, 2022
Agree 100%. I would also add that any young fastlaner should assess their usage of things like video games and netflix.

It's easy to lie to yourself and say: "Oh, I'll just use it one hour a day to relax after some hard work". And then you end up spending multiple hours a day relaxing "a little bit" after some "hard work". Don't fool yourself.

About a year ago (I'm 21 now), I straight-up sold my Playstation after realizing I simply can not use it "in moderation". Best decision I made that year. It freed up so much time that I used to, among other things, dive into all my unread books I've gathered over the years. This inevitably led me to start reading MJ's books around December, properly exposing me for the first time to Fastlane ideas.
I'm willing to bet this would not have happed if I just kept lying to myself and flushed all my free time down the drain via video games.

I wish I had your wisdom at 21 lol

King of kings

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2022
Glad I met the post at 21. Not going to ever get back there for any reason unless for my business purposes in the future and that'd be run with my PC and not my phone.
I wish I had your wisdom at 21 lol

Andrés08

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 6, 2023
México
I swear to god, downloading TikTok made me waste 2 whole years of my life, I don't think I would've made something significant in those 2 years, but it did F*ck up my attention span bad enough.

pavan_k

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Apr 28, 2023
Hey - was reading through this post and honestly there's some real useful things in it.

I'm 15, currently in high school right now, and I'm looking for some advice on this topic.

I'm not really that much of an avid social media user. My only bad habit right now is doom scrolling on youtube but I've been trying to cut that out as much as possible, instead I've been going on this forum and reading through the threads.

I also use insta and WhatsApp to talk to people, but this is the problem I face. I don't know how to put this, but I don't connect with any person around me, everyone seems to be wrapped up in social media, tiktok, video games when I'm trying to read as much as I can and grow my YouTube channel into a business.

I suffer from this sense of fomo, and always feel like I don't fit in and don't have any true friends.

Does anyone have some advice for me? Should I just stop using social media altogether, I don't find much joy in it, and all it does is ruin my mood, maybe I get the occasional laugh or smile when talking to someone. Is it worth going completely offline?

I hear people say to enjoy the process and don't hustle, but all I want to do is not talk to anyone, and just work on making the channel succeed.

Eric L

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 9, 2015
Nairobi
Anyone who has trouble with Youtube, avoid using it through the app. The home feed & recommended videos are designed to get you to binge for hours.

I only watch on my laptop and I have some chrome extensions installed so recommended videos are hidden and if I click on ‘home’ it just re-directs me back to my subscriptions.

Here are the extensions I use:

Replace YouTube's Home with Subscriptions

Unhook - Remove YouTube Recommended Videos

Channel Blocker - Block Youtube channels with one click:
Channel Blocker

Keep your subscription feed to a minimum , only sub to channels that help you out e.g business, health & fitness etc.

PC123

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Apr 2, 2023
I use only one social media platform and set a specific time limit daily (usually, 10 mins). A timer helps keep me in-line.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
This site is my only active social account, if you would call it that. Sometimes I'll browse /r/news or /r/nba during playoffs, but I'm trying to cut Reddit out completely.

Cut the games out years ago after taking a sledgehammer to the Xbox. Modern video games are absolutely insidious and life ruining, and the worst part is the people who get the most addicted could also people the same people who have some of the most to offer to society with how driven they are - it's just unfortunately channeled into that win-lose paradigm and chasing fake glory and cheap dopamine.

Every action you take needs to be decisive and have a reason. Keep your brain turned on and stay in the moment. You have to play mental defense against modern tech.

Cyns

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 14, 2023
Switching from using social media to listening to podcasts really helped me. Whenever I have some off time and I'm not working or during my breaks, podcasts have been an incredible filler. I used to use social media during work breaks and guess what...the 10 minute breaks always turned into 30 min breaks. Listening to podcasts of people who made it and who share their journey and tips makes me go back to work right after my break.

DWX

Getting on with it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Nov 19, 2015
UK
You don't have to be using these apps for long to start seeing the impact they have on one's mind and health.

These shrunken attention spans and anxiety issues will be a challenge for marketers to cut through in the coming years/decades, for sure.

sojeer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
May 10, 2018
This post encouraged me to remove SM from my phone.
3 weeks without them and already feeling a lot better!
I don't even feel an urge to check them. I'm reading a book instead.
Recently I was heavily using Instagram and also watched a lot of YT because I was bored with life from time to time (YT is very addictive, even LinkedIn can be too!). Anxiety level was also very high.
Now I have screen time widget on my phone (first, main screen), everything is under control and I have more interest in life :)

Last edited:

Don Deer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 10, 2020
Toronto

Let's explore this idea.

• no focus
  • bad choices

View attachment 48584

I'm going to challenge myself to significantly cut down the social media scrolling this month. It has become a detriment to my mental health, ability to focus, and as a result, a huge drag on productivity.

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
You can cut out social media, but what are you replacing that time with? Cutting out social media might even be an action fake.

There has to be a shift in your values. When you care more about business than scrolling social media, is when you will naturally see a decline in your SM usage.

Dhinadhayaalan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Apr 1, 2023

Let's explore this idea.

• no focus
  • bad choices

View attachment 48584

I can relate to this. I'm addicted to social media and porn. It's not a severe addiction, but I realize that it's consuming my time and ruining my attention span.

I took action last year and got into self-improvement, but I'm still trying to overcome these addictions. It has been one of the toughest things I've ever done.

I had to deactivate my Instagram and delete all social media apps from my phone. The idea was to only use them on my PC/laptop. However, this didn't solve the problem completely, as I found myself scrolling through social media using the browser on my phone.

Recently, I took an extreme step and deleted my browser apps like Google, etc. So far, it's going well. Now I need to engage in activities that involve delayed gratification and regain my attention span.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When you care more about business than scrolling social media

This makes sense in a vacuum, however, I'm not sure this is true across the board as you're dealing with an addiction and dopamine mechanisms.

Like saying, "When you care more about your family, you'll stop drinking or shooting heroin" as if people who love their family don't get addicted to these things. They do.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I’d like to jump in here and say I have the opposite problem. In fact reading this thread reminds me to check my FB and IG for messages and comments for my business. Once I do that I usually jump into my personal profile and scroll through. However for me, there’s usually nothing to view.

Today I had 3 notifications on FB and scrolled maybe a minute before I had no friend’s content and on IG I scrolled through 4 posts before I got to the older posts. Maybe my friends just don’t post a lot. I only follow people that I personally know.

So my question is, what are you all watching or reading? Is it posts from random people you don’t know? If so why is that content important to you?

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I’d like to jump in here and say I have the opposite problem. In fact reading this thread reminds me to check my FB and IG for messages and comments for my business. Once I do that I usually jump into my personal profile and scroll through. However for me, there’s usually nothing to view.

Today I had 3 notifications on FB and scrolled maybe a minute before I had no friend’s content and on IG I scrolled through 4 posts before I got to the older posts. Maybe my friends just don’t post a lot. I only follow people that I personally know.

So my question is, what are you all watching or reading? Is it posts from random people you don’t know? If so why is that content important to you?

A lot of people mostly those who are not successful in whatever they pursue lose themselves searching for distraction, meaning and solutions which they will endless search and than escape more into short videos or whatever.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Likewise.

I forgot to check Facebook on Friday which was my birthday. I only realised 36+ people had wished me Happy Birthday when I logged in this morning, three days later. I spent a couple of minutes thanking each person then logged out again.

I often forget to log into LinkedIn for weeks on end.

Months ago I changed my Twitter password to something I didn't know and logged out. I've had no urge to log in since.

Mind you... I'm in this forum many times a day, so maybe I'm addicted to social media after all.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.