The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why Don't Books Have Advertising In Them?

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto

Just wondering this? Seems strange because ads are everywhere else.

Relevant ads to the topic being read. Maybe only in the front and back so there is no interrupted reading. This isn't really an idea suggestion, I'm just kinda curious why this was never really deployed. There must be some reason behind it.

Anyway, just a stupid thought.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Relevant ads to the topic being read. Maybe only in the front and back so there is no interrupted reading. This isn't really an idea suggestion, I'm just kinda curious why this was never really deployed. There must be some reason behind it.

The ads I have seen in books have been promoting other books, services or products available by the author. I know of one fiction author that mentions specific brand products thoughtout their books and sells those products on their website.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
The ads I have seen in books have been promoting other books, services or products available by the author. I know of one fiction author that mentions specific brand products thoughtout their books and sells those products on their website.

ya but why not advertising for other things other then books? related to the topic/theme of the book.

kph200

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 2, 2015
Pune, India
I own few paperbacks, some of them do have a advertise on last few pages. Mostly about similar books or more from author etc. Anyway I hate them.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I own few paperbacks, some of them do have a advertise on last few pages. Mostly about similar books or more from author etc. Anyway I hate them.
You hate them why?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I thought I seen on Amazon it's against policy to put advertising products on books. I'm not positive, but swear I read it when I started writing on there. And I have also seen paper backs with ads in the back promoting other books. Magazines have ads. Year books have ads, but they usually have sponsor's paying to have ad's in there.

This also reminds me of the fiction story i read about Google creating and ad chip for our brains. lol

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Talking about advertisement who likes them ???? They always get in between things your doing, be it on cellphone, web movies etc

I guess I was specifically interested why you hate a one page ad in the back of a book? How does this get in between things your doing?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
In high school we wrote a book on picking up girls and put adverts in it in the form of vouchers for date ideas mentioned in the book

kph200

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 2, 2015
Pune, India
I guess I was specifically interested why you hate a one page ad in the back of a book? How does this get in between things your doing?
Wow specifically why??....maybe it's one of the thing I don't like. Lame answer isn't it. Anyway it is getting late in this side of world. GN

G

Guest12120

“Hellooo, isn’t it bad for you?” the friend asks. Mags replies that she has researched the claims online and found studies showing that the product is safe: “They fed lab rats twenty-five hundred packets of Sweet’N Low a day ... And still the F.D.A. or E.P.A., or whatevs agency, couldn’t connect the dots from any kind of cancer in humans to my party in a packet.”

The scene was brought to you by the Cumberland Packing Corporation, the Brooklyn-based company that makes Sweet’N Low. Cumberland Packing invested about $1.3 million in “Find Me I’m Yours.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/03/business/media/e-book-mingles-love-and-product-placement.html?_r=0

Zachariah Lange

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Feb 7, 2015
Southeast Wisconsin, US
My guess is that there are much more equitable forms of advertising you could dump your money into. I.E. magazines issue new ones at least once a month so you can have contracts, and pay a premium for prime ad-space. Backs of books just don't seem like they would be worth the money compared to basically any alternatives...

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada

I dont like the idea neither of having ads in books.....I like the idea of being totally immersed in the subject and not distracted by ads. reading books is one of the very few moments where you dont get bombarded by ads. I like it that way.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
If a book has advertisements in it, it lowers the value of the book to me.

It makes the book look cheap. Changes the focus of "giving value" to "Making money" etc.

If there was a voucher in the back of the book like "choose any of my other books and get a 50% discount with thise code" I could see through it...

but other than that if there are more than 3 advertisements in a book, I feel like I should be paid to read that book. Adblockers exist on the internet for a reason...sadly they don't work in books, magazines etc.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
I dont hate advertising, i am working on a marketing compaign right now for my business, i hate advertising IN BOOKS, it's like a refuge to build a better future, have bigger dreams or give a specific insight in a topic ... Dont want anything to interfere with that.

G

GuestUser113

It's interesting how many business or would be business owners hate advertising.

I don't see a problem with it. Article is a bit old. http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704554104575435243350910792

MJ DeMarco – We’ve been trained to be consumers our entire life. Get this; get that, without any thought about producing. I like to say producers get rich, consumers get poor. If you want to create wealth exponentially, you’ve got to stat looking at things from a producer’s perspective. Start becoming a producer, start becoming in demand, start taking the driver’s seat. Instead of taking a seminar, offer a seminar. Instead of joining an affiliate program, create an affiliate program. Instead of buying a franchise sell a franchise. Instead of joining an MLM, marketing company, create one. You’ve got to start looking at things from the producer side of the equation. Become a producer.

The beauty of it is once you produce to the masses, you will find you will be able to consume whatever you want and unfortunately people have got it backwards. They consume and consume and eventually, obviously, that is why we are in the situation we are in now. People struggling to make ends meet, living paycheck to paycheck, in debt up to their eyes. Its because we’ve become consumers and that’s just to buy buy buy and not to focus on production.

Cascade

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Nov 3, 2013
Singapore
While the books are ok I would recommend buying one of the programs in the area you want to get good at

I started with a free Youtube which is now better organised. Then I went to the library to borrow a few books (Yes, I went because library is FREE). I bought a few that I liked and wanted to keep on hand. But....

I wish someone told me what I now know and would like to share

I "wasted" the many months in Freemium zone when the real content was in the membership tier and infopacks. I felt a bit depressed after saving up and buying my first $497 product. But I felt better after it arrived and I used the material. The material inside was worth the money; there were some practical steps to take and many interviews, etc

If you really must only read ONE book I would suggest the one written by a former Madam on the marketing insights to manage a premium prostitution business. But why stop at ONE? Read the "How-to", Blueprints, Guides, Interviews, etc

You think this is totally irrelevant to YOUR BUSINESS? My friend, wake up, smell the coffee. EVERYTHING is relevant to your own situation IF you can adapt and apply.

Note:
This is MJ's site. Right? Remember!
Don't want to do any free marketing for Dan Kennedy. He's got his millions already so I'm purposely not going to point to anything specific on the forum. If this helped you "Like" it. Got a question? PM me and I try to answer.

*** Side note
Actually it's because of another package that I bought that I've been really busy away from the forum. The material gave me several pages of things I could do to implement on my business and its just been execution execution execution. Sorry guys been absent and not contributing.

Cascade

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Nov 3, 2013
Singapore

Really love your question

Once was a time when someone asked why there are no ads in movies. Today this is a whole ad category called product placements.

Remember the John Wayne having the Marlborough cigarette on his lips? Or that cereal brand always on the table of the family sitcom?

***** Why are there no (to my limited knowledge) advertising in fiction books which actually can weave in certain products. I.e. raw manuscript is copy edited for the product to be featured and the author gets a small something for every 1,000 copies of his book sold?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I've got a link in the back of one of my info books selling a related physical product. Non intrusive and placed after signing off and just prior to references.

Doesn't generate much but it's additional income with very little added effort and most importantly it doesn't interfere with the users experience of reading the book.

zerobrainwash

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 20, 2015
Baltics
You should check this book, it has advertisement in every page, virtually - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creativity-Sale-Wearing-T-Shirts-Passion-ebook/dp/B00KLCN4T6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425249097&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=sponsormybook creativity for sale

The only reason books don't have adverts in them is because people who are serious about being writers value their work too much to allow that to happen. If you are turning over a page and your train of thoughts is interrupted due to an advert, that's the equivalent of someone pausing a song midway through, reading out the advert, and then continuing the song. Books, like songs, like paintings, are all art forms of which the greatest ones outlast any business that would have its advert in it. Of course, in all of these areas there are people just making bucks but that's a different topic.

But then again, product placements in movies sometimes work really well, maybe that could work in books too. It would be interesting to read one of the books of the guy AllenCrawley mentions in his post above.

Last edited:

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
One website I venture frequently is http://bookboon.com/, which basically has a whole bunch of free ebooks, but have advertising in them. Their policy is <15% of the total book is advertisements.
The only reason books don't have adverts in them is because people who are serious about being writers value their work too much to allow that to happen. If you are turning over a page and your train of thoughts is interrupted due to an advert, that's the equivalent of someone pausing a song midway through, reading out the advert, and then continuing the song. Books, like songs, like paintings, are all art forms of which the greatest ones outlast any business that would have its advert in it. Of course, in all of these areas there are people just making bucks but that's a different topic.
If I'm reading for a story, I'd be upset. Luckily I don't read fiction anymore.

But if I'm reading about small business accounting and I see an advertisement for QuickBooks, I'm not going to be too upset. If they have an advertisement for Spot's Dog Food: Best Choice for Beagles Everywhere I'm going to react a certain way.

Last edited:

zerobrainwash

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 20, 2015
Baltics
If I'm reading for a story, I'd be upset. Luckily I don't read fiction anymore.

Good point, it depends on the type of book then. Now I realize that I have seen many ads in books, all of which didn't even seem like ads since they were so relevant. But all of these books indeed were non-fiction.

Last edited:

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Buy a Dan Kennedy book, while there is good information, he always promotes his own consulting, and even has consultation forms that you can send in and end up in another sales funnel.

archie2626

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 27, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I'm curious if paper books because of the potential longevity of their sales don't discourage would-be advertisers. Compared to a magazine or TV ad, the audience could be seeing the ad long after it is relevant. If my book has an ad from a company and their current promotions and a consumer reads it five years down the road, it suddenly has a rather useless benefit (depending again on what the ad was). Magazine ads are more understood to be dated and as such, the ads in them are assumed to coincide with the date the mag was produced. Books (fiction in particular) carry relevant info from year to year.

I could see Amazon having ads populate during a story and perhaps encourage the enrollment of their Amazon Prime or another service to limit ads to the consumer. Just another angle on this. Thought provoking question.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
I think one of the biggest reasons would be is how difficult it would be for writers to get advertisers. If I wrote a book tomorrow there is no really telling wether it would sell to a few or be the next harry potter.
EDIT: just realised how old this thread is sorry.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.