The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Which website builder should I use?

yyes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2017
Boise Idaho
Get a free listing on a directory.

Run Google Ads to that listing. Low budget as you’re “buying data”.

See how much of your volume is mobile or not.

Maybe the data will suggest you start with a mobile-only landing page. We have a few clients where we only run mobile campaigns and to a mobile only landing page.

My bad Andy. I must have missed your post. I actually read Perry Marshalls Adwords book that you suggested. It was amazing.

Looking to follow your advice. In fact, here are my next steps:
  1. Im writing a Direct Response letter and targeting individuals who have six figure incomes and are over the age of 40.
  2. Im looking to build a website but dont know how I would weed out people that are price shopping online.
With Direct Mail, its easy to weed out individuals that could potentially be price shopping, but online, I imagine its harder to do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My bad Andy. I must have missed your post. I actually read Perry Marshalls Adwords book that you suggested. It was amazing.

Looking to follow your advice. In fact, here are my next steps:
  1. Im writing a Direct Response letter and targeting individuals who have six figure incomes and are over the age of 40.
  2. Im looking to build a website but dont know how I would weed out people that are price shopping online.
With Direct Mail, its easy to weed out individuals that could potentially be price shopping, but online, I imagine its harder to do?
You say:

“I’m writing”

“I’m looking to build”

Who are you going to help today?

What would happen if you went looking for people to help, this very moment (and helped them)?

Check out this chat:

You also seem to be looking for a demographic (over 40 with six figure income). With paid search, it’s more about the search intent than the demographic.

Consider looking for a demonstrated cashflow instead of a demographic too. What have people spent money on already that indicates they have the problem you have the paid solution for?

And finally, I’d say it’s easier to find price shoppers online? Their search terms indicate they’re shopping. Maybe check out the free lessons in my course (linked to in my signature).

gClaw

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 22, 2016
Michigan
Go with Weebly. The upgrade designers.weebly platform. Very easy. Click, drag & drop. You can add whatever photos, a survey, etc w/pre- qualifying questions if you want, have email inquiries sent right to your mobile phone if you want. Mobile friendly. Never had any problem with poor response. Around $15/mo per site. Learn some SEO & you'll be at the top of Goog looking down at everyone else in time.
Don't rely solely on word of mouth for business. Get more 'fishing lines' in the water & you'll have more chances of catching more 'fish'. Craigslist is free & like in the top 50 of most visited websites on the web so you'd be foolish not to post your business ad on there 1x a week. So what if you only get 1-2 calls a month from there @ $400/ea sale. Ya never know what'll bite til you throw a line in the water.

Personally, I need my website to be responsive. It needs to be compatible with mobile and it needs to be fast.

The responsiveness is important to me because clients should be able to click on my phone number from their smartphone to call, or click on my email address to email me, etc.

Also, I'm looking to add before and after pictures of my work. Preferably high resolution pictures.

So in a nutshell my website has to be fast, responsive, and compatible with the mobile.

yyes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2017
Boise Idaho
You say:

“I’m writing”

“I’m looking to build”

Who are you going to help today?

What would happen if you went looking for people to help, this very moment (and helped them)?

Check out this chat:

You also seem to be looking for a demographic (over 40 with six figure income). With paid search, it’s more about the search intent than the demographic.

Consider looking for a demonstrated cashflow instead of a demographic too. What have people spent money on already that indicates they have the problem you have the paid solution for?

And finally, I’d say it’s easier to find price shoppers online? Their search terms indicate they’re shopping. Maybe check out the free lessons in my course (linked to in my signature).
Andy you're always so helpful. Thank you so much

yyes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2017
Boise Idaho
Go with Weebly. The upgrade designers.weebly platform. Very easy. Click, drag & drop. You can add whatever photos, a survey, etc w/pre- qualifying questions if you want, have email inquiries sent right to your mobile phone if you want. Mobile friendly. Never had any problem with poor response. Around $15/mo per site. Learn some SEO & you'll be at the top of Goog looking down at everyone else in time.
Don't rely solely on word of mouth for business. Get more 'fishing lines' in the water & you'll have more chances of catching more 'fish'. Craigslist is free & like in the top 50 of most visited websites on the web so you'd be foolish not to post your business ad on there 1x a week. So what if you only get 1-2 calls a month from there @ $400/ea sale. Ya never know what'll bite til you throw a line in the water.

I had never heard of weebly..will definitely look into it

PhilKowalski

Always gets what he deserves
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
If you're still looking for a website builder that's decently easy to use I would recommend WordPress plus ThriveThemes.

It gives you a lot of conversion focused tools for your website (a/b testing for what works and what doesn't, comment systems, lead generation systems and much more...) for $90 / quarter PLUS a lot of themes

One other advantage - no matter what traffic source you use - is having a fast loading page. Nobody will wait more than a few seconds for a page to load and Thrive is great at page speed.

Sorry, but I really love ThriveThemes, hence my passion for it.

If you need help to discuss this further (or anyone else in this thread) let me know and I'm happy to help (not trying to sell you something).

Ricko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jul 20, 2018
London, United Kingdom
Personally, I need my website to be responsive. It needs to be compatible with mobile and it needs to be fast.

I used Wix for my site. It was beyond easy to set up the desk top page and then it also created a mobile friendly site which only needed one or two tiny manual tweaks. Again this was very easy to do.

The Wix site builder also has an excellent integrated SEO tool but this should only be used for your initial customers. An excellent service and word of mouth is the only way to sustain and grow a business.

I don't have any experience with the other platforms but I can recommend Wix.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW

gClaw, Do you add your own H1 to your Weebly site? If not, I can show you how if you'd like. None of the drag & drops are H1's.

Wolfman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 12, 2017
Pittsfield, MA
Hi, You are all techie-geeks compared to me. I will soon develop a website and you've helped me a lot (I like the back and forth.) Do you have to pay individually for all of these mini-features (click to email/phone, cell phone compatible, scheduling, SEO, payment options...)? Are you toast if you're not on the 1st page of a google search?
I could spend a ton of $/time on SEO but w/ my start(ing)-up, I don't even know if that time/$ is worth it. Being at the top of the page may make me $1,000 but if it cost $1,100 and 10 hours of work to get there, is it worth it?
Greg

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville

The responsiveness is important to me because clients should be able to click on my phone number from their smartphone to call, or click on my email address to email me, etc.

Also, I'm looking to add before and after pictures of my work. Preferably high resolution pictures.

So in a nutshell my website has to be fast, responsive, and compatible with the mobile.

The Genesis Framework checks all those boxes. They should have a good child theme you easily customize. StudioPress is the creator of Genesis. Their websites are optimized to be mobile responsive, fast loading, etc, etc.

Salesmate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 5, 2018
Charlotte
I would go with Wordpress. There are a lot of great Free Templates or cheap really good templates.

Here is how I have built a service company in the past:
  • Get a Wordpress Website setup, easy setup something like this: WordPress Hosting | A Managed Solution for the Best Value – GoDaddy $50 Per Year
  • Use a free template or spend $20-$60
  • Spend 10-15 Hours building your standard & Service pages (Standard: Home, About Us, Contact Us), (Service Pages) - Have the entire website focused on the area you are servicing so people in your area will find you.
Then you are off to the races w/ SEO. Your competition will be pretty light, so just claiming your business listing w/ Google & Bing, will be a good start. Then you can try some Off-Page SEO practices.

You will learn a lot but really it is a simple concept. You should be getting inbound leads in the first 30-60 days if you do things right. Then over time, you can rise in your rankings.

$100 Cash + 10-15 Hours of work is not bad for getting inbound leads where you can start closing business.

Let me know if you need any help. I can give you some guidance for Title Tags, Meta Tags, and other things.

Flybye

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 19, 2018
Cuba v2.1 (Miami)
I use Adobe Muse. Ive been using it for several years. Sadly, Adobe announced they will no longer be supporting it in a few years, but I have not found an equivalent to it. I really like the editing of mobile vs desktop side by side, there are tons of templates available, and tons of widgets, too. It is easy to use, and no coding is necessary.

PhilKowalski

Always gets what he deserves
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 5, 2017
Germany
When it comes to SEO there are a lot of influencing factors. The standard comparison for the Google ranking algorithm is usually the Coca Cola recipe. A lot of stuff goes into it and it's sometimes hard to explain. I have a decent track record in SEO as well as in website creation.

@Wolfman - I'm happy to help if you need support with SEO, just let me know...

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Hi Greg,

Do you have to pay individually for all of these mini-features (click to email/phone, cell phone compatible, scheduling, SEO, payment options...)?

It all depends which platform you use. But to bring some clarity:

click to email/phone - This is super easy, when you need it, feel free to PM me, I'll show you how to do it on whatever platform you'll use. And you'll be able to always do it on your own.

Here's how these two features can be achieved with HTML, simple:

<a href="tel:YOURNUMBERHERE">Tap this and let's talk!</a>
<a href="mailto:YOUREMAILHERE">Would rather write? Email me!</a>

payment options
- Same as scheduling. Check if the platform of your choice supports it out of the box, or if you need to additionally implement it.

cell phone compatible - It's pretty much standard today that themes for whatever platform come mobile friendly. Simplest thing you could do is access the demo from your mobile phone and see how it looks like.

And to avoid getting overwhelmed, it could be a good idea to start with that. Just make sure it's advertised as mobile friendly, see if it works on your phone, and jump into it.

That's part of the story though. On projects of my team, our clients and my own, I require much more from a website to call it smartphone friendly. Especially:

1. Speed. Who wants their phone to choke trying to load some clunky page? This can result in lost sales. I insist on speed and we do a lot of things to make our websites load as promptly as possible.

2. Layout. I see many websites where layout does indeed change to adjust to mobile screen, but is completely awful, sometimes broken too. Basically looking like an afterthought.

Personally, I create mobile and computer layouts with equal dedication, and often separately. Each has to be perfectly adjusted to the users.

E.g.if you have a slideshow on mobiles, you don't want to click some tiny arrows to browse to it, you want the ability to swipe through. While on computer you want the opposite.

This goes other way around too, I've seen people focus so much on mobile that they neglect the computer layout, and then I'm trying to swipe through things with a mouse - sucks:)

3. Cross-browser and cross-platform compatibility. I like to make sure my layouts work and look how they should on all the most popular and relevant phones and mobile browsers. And then some. Literally going through every click and scenario manually.

Different browsers, phones and operating systems have different capabilities and features. I always assure than nothing will be broken or dysfunctional for the users.

Since I can't test for ALL phones that exist, I select this way:

a) Currently most popular and most used phones.
b) Most relevant phones of my users, based on analytics.
c) Making sure that things work down to a certain version of browser/operating system, so that I can reasonably expect it will work on all phones in those versions and above.

scheduling
- Some platforms have this built in, on others you can get it as a plugin. WP has a bunch of both free and paid plugins, so likely this too.

SEO
- This is something you do, or have someone do it for you. So that would be extra. Although it can happen spontaneously too, to an extent. I know some people who had just put their content out there, without any technical knowledge and consideration, and it ranks well.

And it's not the only way to get visitors to your website. You could also use paid advertising.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I asked a question earlier in my own thread in order to write this post. I asked if those sites that you can test your own website on are any good.

The reason I asked that is because I was amazed when I tested several different sites from several different types of businesses, including Weebly.com and Wordpress.com. There was only 2 sites, just 2 that had as high of a score as my Weebly site that I built and totally maintain myself. I have no training, nothing as far as building or doing the SEO on a website except what I taught myself. Weebly scored the same as me on most every test site but Wordpress was way below. I used like 5 of those test sites. I'm about to build another site that will go nation wide within 2 years and with these results, I'm really scared to not use Weebly. I was going to try Wordpress but I think I will wait until I have a smaller scale site to test it out with. Weebly might not have all the bells and whistles but it sure does bring me customers and customers = profit for me. :)

yyes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2017
Boise Idaho
Correct me if im wrong, but the only problem that I see with all these website builders is that they have their name in your url. So lets say my website is called carpetcleaning.com.

If I use any of these website builders, my url would look like:
  • carpetcleaning.wordpress.com
  • carpetcleaning.squarespace.com
  • carpetcleaning.weebly.com
I dont know if theres a negative behind this.

Neville Medhora

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Aug 13, 2018
Austin, TX.
Hey @yyes!

I'm a semi-Wordpress pro now, and can confirm there's a long learning curve, especially in the initial setup if you're not very technical.

However you can try Wordpress.com....it's under $5/mo and you can try out a basic Wordpress site that's already hosted, setup, and ready to go.

I think it's a great way to dip your toe into Wordpress if you're not ready to setup hosting + domains on your own!

Also I truly believe learning Wordpress well may have been the biggest advantage I have over my competition. So if you want, I'd say go for it! There's literally a$$-tons of free videos and articles on how to manage every aspect of WP.

Also on CodeMentor.io you can simply hire an available Wordpress programmer to help you for as little as 15 minutes at a time. I've used it multiple times to solve problems I couldn't figure out myself (even the AppSumo development team has an unlimited subscription since you can solve problems SO MUCH FASTER by just asking an experienced person than doing a bunch of StackOverflow research yourself)!
-N

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I asked a question earlier in my own thread in order to write this post. I asked if those sites that you can test your own website on are any good.

The reason I asked that is because I was amazed when I tested several different sites from several different types of businesses, including Weebly.com and Wordpress.com. There was only 2 sites, just 2 that had as high of a score as my Weebly site that I built and totally maintain myself. I have no training, nothing as far as building or doing the SEO on a website except what I taught myself. Weebly scored the same as me on most every test site but Wordpress was way below. I used like 5 of those test sites. I'm about to build another site that will go nation wide within 2 years and with these results, I'm really scared to not use Weebly. I was going to try Wordpress but I think I will wait until I have a smaller scale site to test it out with. Weebly might not have all the bells and whistles but it sure does bring me customers and customers = profit for me. :)

Great post! Spoken like a true businessman that truly understands the game!

Results are all that matters. Everything else is just experience. Of course, the more experience you have, the better your results will be, but in the end it's the results that pay the bills!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Correct me if im wrong, but the only problem that I see with all these website builders is that they have their name in your url. So lets say my website is called carpetcleaning.com.

If I use any of these website builders, my url would look like:
  • carpetcleaning.wordpress.com
  • carpetcleaning.squarespace.com
  • carpetcleaning.weebly.com
I dont know if theres a negative behind this.

If you CHOOSE, your url will look like that. I don't know about the others but at Weebly you can have a FREE website with a FREE .weebly name for a lifetime. If you choose to pay, you can have your own www but you don't HAVE to. I'll say that in today's world, I really don't think it matters. Google wants good, long content. I think I might make a site .weebly sometime and try it.

Also, at the bottom of a FREE Weebly site you will find the link to Weebly, but if you pay for a plan to upgrade, you can take that off.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
Hi, You are all techie-geeks compared to me. I will soon develop a website and you've helped me a lot (I like the back and forth.) Do you have to pay individually for all of these mini-features (click to email/phone, cell phone compatible, scheduling, SEO, payment options...)? Are you toast if you're not on the 1st page of a google search?
I could spend a ton of $/time on SEO but w/ my start(ing)-up, I don't even know if that time/$ is worth it. Being at the top of the page may make me $1,000 but if it cost $1,100 and 10 hours of work to get there, is it worth it?
Greg
There are many free plugins that will give you all the functionality you need. Many are freemium and they make money from people who need extra features or want support from the developer but the free versions are more than enough.

You won't be toast by not being on the 1st page but it will certainly give you more business if you're. There's a way to make a killing even if you do everything else wrong by building a lot of backlinks strategically.

It works like this:

Imagine I run a service for new entrepeneurs on how to do SEO right and build a customized website using heatmaps to analize how visitors behave.

Then I come here and I write and extensive post explaining everything. And at the end I put a link with a call to action for anyone interested in the results but doesn't have time or doesn't want to bother doing the thing.

The next day I go to another community and write another post.

The next day a guest blog post.

The next day I make a Youtube video.

The next day I put my site on directories.

The next day I put an ad on Craigslist (or whatever) and create a bot who automatically renews the ad.

The next day...

If you keep doing this over time you'd have built a massive network that will give you traffic even if you're banned from Google.

As a side effect, you'll gain ranks because good backlinks will give you a higher quality/page score and you'll be less vulnerable to disappear when Google makes changes to the algorithm.

It's one of the classic Internet Marketing strategies that many people overlook.

The key as always is provide value.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
There are many free plugins that will give you all the functionality you need. Many are freemium and they make money from people who need extra features or want support from the developer but the free versions are more than enough.

You won't be toast by not being on the 1st page but it will certainly give you more business if you're. There's a way to make a killing even if you do everything else wrong by building a lot of backlinks strategically.

It works like this:

Imagine I run a service for new entrepeneurs on how to do SEO right and build a customized website using heatmaps to analize how visitors behave.

Then I come here and I write and extensive post explaining everything. And at the end I put a link with a call to action for anyone interested in the results but doesn't have time or doesn't want to bother doing the thing.

The next day I go to another community and write another post.

The next day a guest blog post.

The next day I make a Youtube video.

The next day I put my site on directories.

The next day I put an ad on Craigslist (or whatever) and create a bot who automatically renews the ad.

The next day...

If you keep doing this over time you'd have built a massive network that will give you traffic even if you're banned from Google.

As a side effect, you'll gain ranks because good backlinks will give you a higher quality/page score and you'll be less vulnerable to disappear when Google makes changes to the algorithm.

It's one of the classic Internet Marketing strategies that many people overlook.

The key as always is provide value.

Is this how you do all of yours, and with Wordpress? How many sites have you made?

I think I'm going to make some sort of small site and try Wordpress. After using Weebly for 7 years, it's kind of exciting to use something different.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
Is this how you do all of yours, and with Wordpress? How many sites have you made?

I think I'm going to make some sort of small site and try Wordpress. After using Weebly for 7 years, it's kind of exciting to use something different.
I did it in the past with 4 Wordpress based sites that are now gone and I'm doing it now to promote a game I'm making and that I have no website for.

It's important to keep in mind that you genuinely need to want to provide value and interact with people or you'll be perceived as the regular bro-marketing guru putting in practice some scheme.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
And all of those sites went to the 1st page of Google and stayed for years and years through all the changes Google made doing it that way?

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
And all of those sites went to the 1st page of Google and stayed for years and years through all the changes Google made doing it that way?
Only one did for certain keywords. Well, another one did show up too but because I hijacked some keywords so I don't count that.

But the point I was trying to make is that you can get traffic without being searchable and without paying.

I'm sure any of the SEO pros here can give you a better answer than me.

Chaz Heasley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 6, 2018
Hey guys I'm looking for advice on what platform to use in order to build my website.

My business is a service based business. Specifically, it's a painting /carpet cleaning business

Initially I thought I would use squarespace or just learn Javascript and html and build website from scratch.

However, I have also been thinking about clickfunnels . But at the same time, I think clickfunnels is geared towards a product based business where customers can buy online rather than a service based business where customers would want you to go to their homes and give them an estimate.

What would you guys advise?

Wix or squarespace make it easy to create a professional looking website. WordPress is good for blogging but you can upgrade it with pluggins for adding payment options, forms, ect. They all have their advantages it all depends on what you prefer.

Last edited by a moderator:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Only one did for certain keywords. Well, another one did show up too but because I hijacked some keywords so I don't count that.

But the point I was trying to make is that you can get traffic without being searchable and without paying.

Oh I agree, I have done $0 worth of advertising for my sites. 0 back links, just good content. The thing about 0 back links and only relying on great content is that my sites will never have to worry about anything that Google does because I only worry about content and the right key words in my SEO. I will always beat the competition that tries to play the games of beating me. If those 'great' SEO people would stop trying so hard, they would be much better off. You can find 1000 of them on Craigslist and all over the place that think they know what they are doing but really know nothing. That is why I had to teach myself because I wanted top notch results, not some slick salesman guy promising me the world and delivering an outhouse.

Good luck in the future but just remember, you don't need any back links. I mean, it doesn't suck to have them but it can be done without them just as easy or easier.

Rila Studios

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 7, 2018
Accra , Ghana
I highly recommend wordpress, because
1.Its very easy to use
2.Good for SEO

I heard wix is not too good for seo and an delay the process. I use wordpress now so I recommend it.

Wolfman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 12, 2017
Pittsfield, MA

Hi Master, That little disclaimer in the last sentence set me free. I can pay a SEO pro to follow the strategy you outlined. By the way, thanks for taking the time to do that. It was above and beyond the call of duty and I bet you helped others in the process.
Greg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.