The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When you first went fastlane, did you ever switch slowlane jobs?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
So right now, my slowlane job has a very tightly strucutred schedule same time everyday, etc. So I realized that all skills in building something are valuable. But my job just consists of "running the job" I'm not really creating something on the job.

But ever since I have been trying to go fastlane, I have abandoned the notion of switching jobs. The mentality I have "This is the last job I am going to have and I will just keep working on business on the side till I can get out" In obviously rush mode.

I am starting to think now, should I learn a skill online and get a slowlane job that has much more flexibility (location-free) like coding, pretty easy now that I have the mindset that I can do absolutely anything I want. I will have more control over my time and more time will be dedicated to my side business.

Doing it the second way, my mentality switches it to be more of a journey. Instead of me blasting hard and killing myself everyday.

Good idea to invest several months in some bootcamp? Your thoughts and opinions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Your thoughts and opinions.

When I committed to starting my own mfg business, I needed to leave my employer to prevent a conflict of interest. I took the next available job that popped up close to home. My secondary motivation was the time saved, as I no longer commuted.

My opinion now is that it would have been helpful to consider the skills I need to learn and pick a job that would teach me those skills. So my suggestion (assuming you're not trying to free up 3 hours of commute time) is to take some time and determine what skills you need to learn. Then search out a job that will provide you that training.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
So right now, my slowlane job has a very tightly strucutred schedule same time everyday, etc. So I realized that all skills in building something are valuable. But my job just consists of "running the job" I'm not really creating something on the job.

But ever since I have been trying to go fastlane, I have abandoned the notion of switching jobs. The mentality I have "This is the last job I am going to have and I will just keep working on business on the side till I can get out" In obviously rush mode.

I am starting to think now, should I learn a skill online and get a slowlane job that has much more flexibility (location-free) like coding, pretty easy now that I have the mindset that I can do absolutely anything I want. I will have more control over my time and more time will be dedicated to my side business.

Doing it the second way, my mentality switches it to be more of a journey. Instead of me blasting hard and killing myself everyday.

Good idea to invest several months in some bootcamp? Your thoughts and opinions.

I simply followed the money, seeing as my aim was to save as much as possible. Flexibility is great as well, but not if it means you will be in the slowlane any longer than you have to.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014

So, and keep in mind that I am not fully "fastlane", but here is the strategy I have taken. I was a controller (accounting bitch) at an company that required me to work 60+ hrs a week just to keep the wheel moving. I made a decent wage, and was saving a lot of money, but I hated the stress, and realized that I couldn't do it forever, and I would always be stuck in accounting there. I quit my job.

I start looking. I got interviewed for a couple decent jobs, and looking at these jobs began to realize something: I would never do anything but motherf****** accounting if I worked at these places. Result: I found a job at a place that paid a little more than half what I was making before, but was working directly for the owner, a guy that was part of the group that launched a major national brand that later sold to a major multinational that tries to co-opt protest movements for advertising.

So, I make half as much money, still do all the accounting, but I get to work directly for the owner that took a product from idea to reality to mass distribution and is trying to execute to the point of sale to a major multinational. In order to get me to work there, I also have an agreement to get bonused out in the event of a sale.... so I would make a large amount of money then.... but this current company might never get there. It may fail.

Here's how I look at it: I want to launch my own brand. Right now, I'm getting paid to learn from someone that has actually done it, and how am I learning? I'm not sitting in class. I'm doing it. (btw, what I've learned in this space is that what the market might really need is not another brand, but a new distribution model)

A job can be more than just a job. Say what you will about being a limo driver, but supposedly, someone here used the knowledge gained in that job to meet a market need and become a millionaire.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.