The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's the Price Tag of Fear?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I am inspired to write this post by a talk I just had with @Andy Black.

Let's go back to the future a bit. Back in 2015 I was a bubbly sales guy, working for a global recruitment agency dealing with clients and candidates in Russian, French, Spanish and Irish markets. I was talking 5 languages fluently, was fit, and vibrated self confidence. Not for long...

In the beginning of 2016 I quit my recruitment job and jumped straight into entrepreneurship. I was so caught in Analysis-Paralysis State that I was literally writing few business plans a month without taking any concrete action.

Many things contributed, but it took me only few months to fall into a very deep depression state - it got so strong that I even contemplated a suicide. I gained a ton of weight, cut all contacts with an outside world and was spending my days at home, not talking to anyone and still writing silly business plans. Going out paying bills and buying some junk food were the only times I had a personal contact with an outside world.

It didn't take long for my fit body to turn into a meat mountain and my communication skills to deteriorate. The confident guy who spoke 5 languages couldn't now properly communicate in his own native language. As you may guess, the situation with foreign languages got even worse...

As I mentioned in my previous post, my depression is pretty much cured and I've lost a lot of body fat in just a few months, but my destroyed ego and fear of communication is still there. I am still somewhat shocked that 1.5 year ago I could hold a superb English, French, Spanish or Russian conversation at a professional level, but now I still struggle to communicate in English.

The fear got so severe that I was thinking all day today about the upcoming call with @Andy Black. I was so scared that I contemplated retreating by making up some story just to go back into my lonely comfort corner. Hands shaking, heart pounding I lifted my phone and picked up Andy's call - I was literally so paralyzed that I couldn't talk at all for like 15 minutes - I was so ashamed of myself that I didn't want to open my mouth...

In overall, was the call successful? Personally, yes! I've got a ton of value out of it and was amazed by the wisdom Andy provided. When we finished our 1.5 hour chat, I put down my ear piece and closed my eyes. I reflected back to how well I used to handle calls back in 2015 and how I messed up this call. I realized one thing...

If it took me roughly a year to lose my ability to communicate in foreign language, I can similarly claim it back within a year, or even faster if I put my heart into it. The call made me realize that although, on the surface, I messed it up and made a joke out of myself; I've also faced a demon that has been haunting me for an entire year - demon that kept telling me that I was a failure and will never be who I used to be - a confident guy with a desire to communicate and make friends.

EDIT BY ANDY:

Here's the call:
Alamantas gets me telling my story first, then I ask him about what he's up to.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
What is the Price Tag of Fear?

Hmmm, excellent story and man can I resonate with you, I'm sure you are totally happy you didn't back out of the call with Andy.

The price tag of fear is too damn high, it eats dreams and regurgitate it into a pile of nothingness. When I reflect on my life I blame myself for all my failures, because I know to an extent fear was the main factor, I'm not into pointing fingers at anyone where my destiny is concerned so I get it.

For me, going into business is a really huge jump, no one in my family has done it, no uncles, aunties - no one, so when I made that leap of faith, you can well imagine the sad stories and the what ifs when I left my so-called secure job to take this flight. I have learnt and done more things in the past 4 years, than I have in the 30 years prior since I gave up the scripted life and while I know I'm not perfect and still have a lot of learning to do, I am happy I made that bold decision; but fear my friend - well, you know how that goes.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Whoa! My goodness! I didn't think you messed up the call at all. I thought it was a great call and I really enjoyed it. Brilliant work with your new business venture that you accidentally fell into.

It's uploading to SoundCloud and I'll post it tomorrow.

EDIT: Well done taking the call. I honestly had no idea it was stressing you all day.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Whoa! My goodness! I didn't think you messed up the call at all. I thought it was a great call and I really enjoyed it. Brilliant work with your new business venture that you accidentally fell into.

It's uploading to SoundCloud and I'll post it tomorrow.

WAW - Look at that. See? Kudos.

We really gotta take fear off this pedestal we're often placing it on. Lol.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
If it took me roughly a year to lose my ability to communicate in foreign language, I can similarly claim it back within a year, or even faster if I put my heart into it.

Much less than that. Assuming you were high (B2+ on CEFR) level, a few months of practice (not even study; practice) will get you back up to speed quick.

Languages are cool in that, no matter how much you end up forgetting, you get it back quick, and you never lose the core of the language.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Thanks, guys, for a positivity boost! It means a lot to me and am delighted to be part of such a supportive community! Onwards and upwards!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Here's the call:
Alamantas gets me telling my story first, then I ask him about what he's up to.
This is SUPER cool!

How you guys share the conversations with members which help us overcome hurdles, it also assists us in recognising that we share similar things (fears etc.,) BUT, it also reveals that we can also overcome them together. The support within this forum is Super Awesome.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
@MJ DeMarco has created not just an another entrepreneurial forum, but the community whose members rise by lifting others up....the community whose members treat each other with dignity and respect...the community whose principles are rooted in a goal to help each other succeed.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
@Almantas, that was brave to post all of your fears for us to see. You have taken some risks, which shows me that you've still got the capability to perform at the previous level you expect of yourself. Don't give up. You can do this!

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
@Almantas, that was brave to post all of your fears for us to see. You have taken some risks, which shows me that you've still got the capability to perform at the previous level you expect of yourself. Don't give up. You can do this!

Thank you! Your support means a lot to me!

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
lol, Andy is such a non scary guy though, xD
But yeah the real monster is having to rely on another language

What is the Price Tag of Fear?

Hmmm, excellent story and man can I resonate with you, I'm sure you are totally happy you didn't back out of the call with Andy.

The price tag of fear is too damn high, it eats dreams and regurgitate it into a pile of nothingness. When I reflect on my life I blame myself for all my failures, because I know to an extent fear was the main factor, I'm not into pointing fingers at anyone where my destiny is concerned so I get it.

For me, going into business is a really huge jump, no one in my family has done it, no uncles, aunties - no one, so when I made that leap of faith, you can well imagine the sad stories and the what ifs when I left my so-called secure job to take this flight. I have learnt and done more things in the past 4 years, than I have in the 30 years prior since I gave up the scripted life and while I know I'm not perfect and still have a lot of learning to do, I am happy I made that bold decision; but fear my friend - well, you know how that goes.

Whoa, you've got one heck of a story
One of those "breakaway" stories where you've recognised others influence on your life
Saw that pesky script of theirs, and erased your name from it.
I think it took me ten years
I mean I dropped out of highschool as a top student cuz I was studying so hard that I just saw through it all
Dunno how to explain it but my effort level was so far above anyone else living or talking that they looked small
They had no authority or grip on me anymore... so I just sorta stood up and left (I guess I'm stubborn and called BS on it)

I bumped around on different schemes for 5 years, then left the scripted locale. Just went to other locations etc.
But it then took me another 5 years to fully get it, that what I'd done was the only way. I mean, I had a lot of confusion about it. Fear is why it took me that long.
Now though, no confusion. NONE.

Lets just entreprenuer it up

:)
Life

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
lol, Andy is such a non scary guy though, xD
But yeah the real monster is having to rely on another language

Whoa, you've got one heck of a story
One of those "breakaway" stories where you've recognised others influence on your life
Saw that pesky script of theirs, and erased your name from it.
I think it took me ten years
I mean I dropped out of highschool as a top student cuz I was studying so hard that I just saw through it all
Dunno how to explain it but my effort level was so far above anyone else living or talking that they looked small
They had no authority or grip on me anymore... so I just sorta stood up and left (I guess I'm stubborn and called BS on it)

I bumped around on different schemes for 5 years, then left the scripted locale. Just went to other locations etc.
But it then took me another 5 years to fully get it, that what I'd done was the only way. I mean, I had a lot of confusion about it. Fear is why it took me that long.
Now though, no confusion. NONE.

Lets just entreprenuer it up

:)
Life
WOW - I know exactly what you mean. This is the most free feeling ever and indeed, it takes us a long time before we breakaway and as you have mentioned, we sometimes transfer it, but that is all part of the process to get us to where we need to be. You are right, finally, when that confusion is out of the way, we just got to take that plunge. Really happy to see you have progressed to the direction you wanna head in. Keep up the excellent work and keep breaking barriers as you set up your own system of greatness.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
I've actually just started reading a book all about fear and "hip-hop entrepreneurship", the 50th law of power. 2 Big names attached to the book who I'm sure many of you have heard of, Robert Greene and 50 Cent. I only just read the intro so far but it seems really interesting, talks a lot about how our attitude towards fear shapes our life path. If talks about the evolution of fear over time, in the 21st century we are afraid of mostly trivial, non life-threatening shit and ALOT of it. The difference in people and their success in how they either take a fight (active) or flight (passive) approach. Taking the active approach and actually dealing with your problems by overcoming them is the cornerstone of highly successful and transcendent people.

Really good so far and seems to have a lot of parallels to the fastlane

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I am inspired to write this post by a talk I just had with @Andy Black.

I've also faced a demon that has been haunting me for an entire year - demon that kept telling me that I was a failure and will never be who I used to be - a confident guy with a desire to communicate and make friends.

We've all been there, at one level or another. So, you've had you BIG failure that has scared the piss out of you, and you've been stuck in the experience... OK. There is a life after all of this -- and a better life than you had before. When you push through this experience, you will transformed. Yes, you still feel fear, and that's a good warning system in your life. The difference will be that fear will lose it's power to stop you in your tracks. This fear you're feeling is your friend -- your early warning system. Once you change how you understand fear, you will be able to decide how to solve the problem that your fear has so kindly pointed out to you.

I have a lot of other thought on this subject, but I don't want to tell you more than you are ready to hear...

Asta

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 21, 2017
Spain
We've all been there, at one level or another. So, you've had you BIG failure that has scared the piss out of you, and you've been stuck in the experience... OK. There is a life after all of this -- and a better life than you had before. When you push through this experience, you will transformed. Yes, you still feel fear, and that's a good warning system in your life. The difference will be that fear will lose it's power to stop you in your tracks. This fear you're feeling is your friend -- your early warning system. Once you change how you understand fear, you will be able to decide how to solve the problem that your fear has so kindly pointed out to you.

I have a lot of other thought on this subject, but I don't want to tell you more than you are ready to hear...

Very well put!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.