The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Would Your Passion Business Be?

Mikey63

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 7, 2021
So all of us who have read MJ's books know you can get wrecked chasing your passion rather than focusing on a business that makes CENTS. So departing from reality for a moment, what type of business would you want to have?

Personally, I've been really interested in learning about wrist watches lately and have enjoyed watching Roman Sharf's Grey Market YouTube channel. Getting to travel all over buying and selling watches, meeting all kinds of people etc., seems pretty interesting, at least to me. Don't know if that kind of business makes CENTS (the entry barrier seems low given how many people are trying to do it), but it's definitely one I'd try if I was already financially secure and could afford to give it a go.
I'd own a warbird brokerage and restoration business.

I would spend all day totally emersed in that community.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'd own a warbird brokerage and restoration business.

I would spend all day totally emersed in that community.
What's stopping you?

Mikey63

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 7, 2021
What's stopping you?
Nothing really. I think the actions I am taking will make it ultimately inevitable that it will happen.

My navel gazing revolves around how quickly and with the least amount of pain and risk. As someone who has squandered the first 40 years of my life, I'm learning to box clever and that means playing to my strengths and fully leveraging them.

DarkZero

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 29, 2013
Film & movies is the thing I'm most passionate about. I'm talking about the actual creation of it (directing, writing, producing)... essentially what it takes to go from idea to the screen. I studied it for a long time, years ago when I was in college. Took acting classes. Acted and directed short films. Got in festivals, etc. But I knew the numbers of actually "making it" in the industry and I didn't want to deal with that. Far more lucrative to go in other directions.

The storytelling aspect of film helped me in my first venture which later helped me in my consulting venture.

I will say this though. The combination of that passion for film/media and honing my skillset in business has led me to understand a couple of things about myself...

I never lost my passion for film. I just never continued to pursue it as a "career". I always said if I had all the money in the world, I would have fun making movies without the red tape that comes with big studios and distribution. However, lately, I've been spending more time understanding how that industry works through self-learning and research...

- The battle between big screen vs streaming in terms of distribution
- Why do certain projects get made and others don't
- Budgeting projects to maximize revenue (streaming vs box office)
- Release windows and market timing
- Film/TV IP

I'm not in the industry at all. But just from understanding business from a traditional sense, I really only view Hollywood through the business lens now to understand projects. To me that is fun.

But I also enjoy talking about these things through the lens of any business. I have a friend who is CEO of a popular automotive shop corporation across the country and we had a really fun conversation the other day about a new service they are launching and how they can capitalize on it in terms of market distribution, pricing strategy and so on. It was really fun.

I take that same approach talking about any industry with anyone. But I definitely enjoy it with film. I enjoy learning about how it works, maybe because it is elusive to me. I'm not in the industry at all and there are people just starting out in that industry who have far more experience than me just by pure proximity to everything. So while I do enjoy it, I couldn't build a business in this space unless I provided a particular product or service for the film industry.

Long story short, I have a passion for an industry that has evolved over time (acting to writing to directing to understanding production cycles). Over time, my skillsets have coalesced in some areas to help me better understand this industry. But it's just a passion and it's not the typical industry to build a business for.

I have other passions like surfing, fitness, etc. But across the board, none of my passions are something I'd want to necessarily monetize. Doesn't mean they can't be monetized though. It really just comes down to opportunity cost.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Film & movies is the thing I'm most passionate about. I'm talking about the actual creation of it (directing, writing, producing)... essentially what it takes to go from idea to the screen. I studied it for a long time, years ago when I was in college. Took acting classes. Acted and directed short films. Got in festivals, etc. But I knew the numbers of actually "making it" in the industry and I didn't want to deal with that. Far more lucrative to go in other directions.

The storytelling aspect of film helped me in my first venture which later helped me in my consulting venture.

I will say this though. The combination of that passion for film/media and honing my skillset in business has led me to understand a couple of things about myself...

I never lost my passion for film. I just never continued to pursue it as a "career". I always said if I had all the money in the world, I would have fun making movies without the red tape that comes with big studios and distribution. However, lately, I've been spending more time understanding how that industry works through self-learning and research...

- The battle between big screen vs streaming in terms of distribution
- Why do certain projects get made and others don't
- Budgeting projects to maximize revenue (streaming vs box office)
- Release windows and market timing
- Film/TV IP

I'm not in the industry at all. But just from understanding business from a traditional sense, I really only view Hollywood through the business lens now to understand projects. To me that is fun.

But I also enjoy talking about these things through the lens of any business. I have a friend who is CEO of a popular automotive shop corporation across the country and we had a really fun conversation the other day about a new service they are launching and how they can capitalize on it in terms of market distribution, pricing strategy and so on. It was really fun.

I take that same approach talking about any industry with anyone. But I definitely enjoy it with film. I enjoy learning about how it works, maybe because it is elusive to me. I'm not in the industry at all and there are people just starting out in that industry who have far more experience than me just by pure proximity to everything. So while I do enjoy it, I couldn't build a business in this space unless I provided a particular product or service for the film industry.

Long story short, I have a passion for an industry that has evolved over time (acting to writing to directing to understanding production cycles). Over time, my skillsets have coalesced in some areas to help me better understand this industry. But it's just a passion and it's not the typical industry to build a business for.

I have other passions like surfing, fitness, etc. But across the board, none of my passions are something I'd want to necessarily monetize. Doesn't mean they can't be monetized though. It really just comes down to opportunity cost.
I'm reminded of the YouTube thread by James Jani (@Valier).

He'd done a bit of acting and knew about storywriting. He created a YouTube channel and started posting very well made videos. He's now at over 1m subscribers.

Lose your limiting beliefs, record your research/observations, and edit/publish for YouTube?

Here's James Jani's thread:

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Honestly. I just want a brain to work as hard as I do. It is a real struggle to be a deep thinker and yield little results. There is the chance. I just don't recognize the vaue, My ten year plan is to build something around social networking . I have been endorsed for customer service and social networking Even, been told I am good at sharing my heart and have a really strong work ethic. But content creation seo, video production, inventing, web sight creation and even blogging are not strong points. I earned some income through programs like SWOM and sail to wealth and direct sales. NOTHING LIFE CHANGING. payment came on knowledge gained.I bookmarked two social media advertising agencies one in New York the other in Australia that have partnership programs. Outsourcing may be the way I have to go to build this. Debt and bad choices from my past kind of built a wall I have to take down first, working on it.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
attract the best and brightest to my country for business.
good luck gaining UN official nation status with that haha. you would be ridiculed by the woke assholes for being racist and too homogenous lol

(i totally support this kind of immigration btw. only the best and brightest)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
good luck gaining UN official nation status with that haha. you would be ridiculed by the woke assholes for being racist and too homogenous lol

(i totally support this kind of immigration btw. only the best and brightest)
It wouldn't actually be a rejection of people that aren't the best or brightest... Just policies that would attract particularly the non-authoritarian best and brightest. There would really just be nothing there for a person of a freeloading mindset.

The sad reality is, the US military would probably show up to "liberate" the people of Keegarica and the dumb news watchers would cheer. :rofl:

Either way, I am aware it is unrealistic. So, I am working on my other "passion." Business. Making stuff happen energizes me every single day, because it matters. My own personal freedom and a great deal of meaning flows from this "passion."

Last edited:

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
The sad reality is, the US military would probably show up to "liberate" the people of Keegarica and the dumb news watchers would cheer.
Light up your castle with the Pride flag.

If they attack, accuse them of being homophobic & transphobic.

That scares them more than any anti-aircraft missiles.

castle-progress-flag-data.jpg

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I'm reminded of the YouTube thread by James Jani (@Valier).

He'd done a bit of acting and knew about storywriting. He created a YouTube channel and started posting very well made videos. He's now at over 1m subscribers.

Lose your limiting beliefs, record your research/observations, and edit/publish for YouTube?

Here's James Jani's thread:

Any word on James looks like he hasn't published a video in 5 months.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
King of some country. (Government is absolutely a business if you get far enough into libertarian theory.)

I’d make the most free market country on earth and attract the best and brightest to my country for business.

That would be fun.
Government's is as much a business as running a cartel or a gang is a business. It's a group, larger than the next group, imposing their will.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Government's is as much a business as running a cartel or a gang is a business. It's a group, larger than the next group, imposing their will.
The biggest bully on the playground. The business of force.

MartinG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 22, 2015
Reading this is very strange for me, because literarily all my passions are goal-directed. They are about achieving something or reaching towards something.

It seems for you, @MTF, you passions are more about engaging in certain processes. For me, it's less about the process, and more about the goal of the process that creates the passion. Or maybe even better than goal is the word "direction". I'm passionate about the direction I'm headed in.
I'm sure by reading this page that @MTF is goal directed with his swimming which may be better times etc (whatever the metric may be), but these goals just happen not to be orientated towards making money or starting a business.

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
My "passion business" is making body repair panels for a certain make and model of classic car. When I was restoring mine there were plenty of things I made for myself that I could make for other people. The reason it's a passion business and not just a business is that the car concerned is pretty niche, there aren't massive numbers of them still out there needing restoring and they're not big value cars, so there's a limit to the prices I can charge. If there were loads of them, one of the established panel makers would already be producing stuff for them. It's also quite time-consuming - I've heard several people say that they buy my panels because it's cheaper than making them themselves.

This is actually the business I'm in. I know it's not scaleable - to an extent the panels produced is directly proportional to the time I spend, and it's a small market - the former could be handled by outsourcing production if the latter weren't true. But for now it's bringing in a small income until I can think of something bigger.

Mikey63

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 7, 2021
My "passion business" is making body repair panels for a certain make and model of classic car. When I was restoring mine there were plenty of things I made for myself that I could make for other people. The reason it's a passion business and not just a business is that the car concerned is pretty niche, there aren't massive numbers of them still out there needing restoring and they're not big value cars, so there's a limit to the prices I can charge. If there were loads of them, one of the established panel makers would already be producing stuff for them. It's also quite time-consuming - I've heard several people say that they buy my panels because it's cheaper than making them themselves.

This is actually the business I'm in. I know it's not scaleable - to an extent the panels produced is directly proportional to the time I spend, and it's a small market - the former could be handled by outsourcing production if the latter weren't true. But for now it's bringing in a small income until I can think of something bigger.
What car is it Mike?

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
What car is it Mike?
Mid 70s Vauxhalls. Most of what I do is fairly straightforward - I'd love to be able to produce some of the complicated curved bits, but it's tricky and needs a lot of practice, and I'm not sure it would be a decent investment in time. I also find that original panel fit on the cars isn't that consistent, so even if I could make a complicated part, it's tricky to know that I've done it correctly.

Last edited:

Mikey63

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 7, 2021
Mid 70s Vauxhalls. Most of what I do is fairly straightforward - I'd love to be able to produce some of the complicated curved bits, but it's tricky and needs a lot of practice, and I'm not sure it would be a decent investment in time. I also find that original panel fit on the cars isn't that consistent, so even if I could make a complicated part, it's tricky to know that I've done it correctly.
Yeah, sounds like a hobby that would pay for itself. I'm always amused how many of the humdrum cars of the seventies are absolutely transformed with rally spec arches and livery. I even saw an Allegro that looked the business. Didn't they rally Chevettes/Mantas? Still not a massive market but who knows, it could go like the classic Fords that are now getting beyond the range of average folk. And I know from the Porker community the 'recreation' business is booming. Create rally spec molds then get someone to make them in Chynah.

PetitBourgeoisie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 27, 2022
So all of us who have read MJ's books know you can get wrecked chasing your passion rather than focusing on a business that makes CENTS. So departing from reality for a moment, what type of business would you want to have?
GM, my answer is to get into Real Estate & build entire towns, all zonings included.

These would be 'human-scaled' developments, cars & trucks, would be segregated from narrower, walkable streets, all amenities are at most a 20 min. walk from any given residence. The outskirts would be dedicated to industry, commerce, where viable, small-agriculture attached to larger residential plots, and to garages to store the resident's cars. The interior would be residentials (rent-to-own leases?), smaller, local stores, "public" buildings, churches, etc. Could be as small as a village or as big as a town.
Entities would be setup to source investing capital (a REIT?), manage the properties, affiliate/invest in the local businesses, coop the farms, run the schools, etc.

These supposedly would represent a cleaner, quieter, more convenient & more cohesive option in the industry. It's my observation that that suburban sprawl I've lived in for much of my life leaves much to be desired in these terms. Very interested to see if such improvements could be achieved this way.

It's unlikely given the hell of real-estate logistics & regulations likely to strangle it early, but a man can dream. And if it becomes a viable opportunity in later life, I'd seize it.
images

The sad reality is, the US military would probably show up to "liberate" the people of Keegarica
The Free State of Keegarica, the dream must live on. It may be better serve you to set it up as an "autonomous province" of this-or-that pre-existing country, cut the local big-wigs a share in the revenues. It may be tougher finding the right location, though, so as to make good on brib- promises made to local investors.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Honestly the only passion that i had was Cars, i'm fortunate to have friends & family with nice cars, its cool but eventually gets boring, i'm not going to Cars shows & locals no more no do i have the desire to open anything related to cars anymore.

The only thing that 'drives' me is actually making sh*t happen, once i have something in front of me that has great potential, no matter the industry i just developp instant passion for it and give it my all to see the final result and to learn everything about it, once i know it makes good money (and worthy of my time overall on the bigger picture), i'm gone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.