The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What motivates you ?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Farkry

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 12, 2015
Near London, UK
..... Because I'm not certain what motivates me !

The common feedback I get is that this is a problem but I still persist in my projects so I guess the real problem is that 'I can't articulate what motivates me' rather than 'I'm not motivated'.

It would be good to actually pin it down just so I understand myself a bit better. The thing that 'feels' closest is the idea that I want autonomy and control since I logically appreciate the value in those things.

Any advice on how to drill into this type of thinking and home in on the answer ? Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

The common feedback I get is that this is a problem but I still persist in my projects so I guess the real problem is that 'I can't articulate what motivates me' rather than 'I'm not motivated'.

It would be good to actually pin it down just so I understand myself a bit better. The thing that 'feels' closest is the idea that I want autonomy and control since I logically appreciate the value in those things.

Any advice on how to drill into this type of thinking and home in on the answer ? Thanks
I ramble on about motivation in this call:

If autonomy and control are things you like, then you might like this simple thread:

Plenty of other good relevant threads in the forum.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
When it comes to motivation, its always nice to have some and more work usually does get done when I'm motivated.

Here's the issue with motivation that I've noticed is that its much like the weather, some days its beautiful and I'm enjoying everything that I'm doing. Other days are dark and gloomy because I don't want to do squat and naturally less work gets done.

Regardless where I am on the roller-coaster of motivation/inspiration .. I am ALWAYS getting work done.. That comes down to how disciplined you are.

Discipline > Motivation

So instead of focusing on working on motivation, focus on disciplining yourself.

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
So instead of focusing on working on motivation, focus on disciplining yourself.

Ditto on that. Continuing to 'work' and outputing valuable stuff is more important, as you can control that, motivation is always going to ebb and flow. Reading more and more about why having goals is important, but even more important is having systems that produce. It's those who work when they're not motivated are the ones who more often than not 'make it'. The more I read and the more i think and apply it to my daily life, its made more sense.

Here's a list (might be long of things i do to get motivated'), some are quick hitters, some a little bit longer. Some might be applicable, some might not.

1.) Read 'Tools of Titans' by Tim Ferris - easy quick chapters (1-5 min) that can help frame you mindset.
2.) I Listen to rap music - makes me visualize the material things i want, but also helps just get's me amped. I'd list my 4 song playlist right now, but you probably don't care about that.
3.) Look at your competitors (might not make sense in your case) - I can get angry when i see my competitors and their updates, it forces me to realize that they're working harder than me to solve that need, and I can't stand for that.
4.) Look up random companies, when i'm the road, i make note of random companies and look them up later. Help's me realize that they're are millions of companies that bring in massive amounts of revenue that we'll never hear of.... and i LOVE that. Ex: There was a biz i looked up that collects and re-purposes metal shavings from pans. They make BANK, just thought that was interesting.
5.) Fear - Fear of not living the 'FastLane' life scares the sh*t out of me. That alone pushes me in times of non-motivation.
6.) Realizing the daily ebb and flow (spl?) of the daily grind is part of the journey. Example here is when looking at stats, it's good to measure day to day, but equally important is looking at the trend. This goes back to discipline and creating a system that holds you accountable at a trend level.

Hope this helps!

Ross Morgan

Fortch
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Dec 22, 2015
Valencia CA
4 am alarm clocks, shitty work, shitty money. Being grateful if there's a porta potty at the job.. Snorting moustache sweat when I bend over... Shitty jobs are quite motivating.
Oh, and TMF and Unscripted and reading in general.

Last edited:

Farkry

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 12, 2015
Near London, UK
4 am alarm clocks, shitty work, shitty money. Being grateful if there's a porta potty at the job.. Snorting moustache sweat when I bend over... Shitty jobs are quite motivating.
Oh, and TMF and Unscripted and reading in general.

Yes, this resonates with me at the moment, my nice job was replaced with a shitty job recently ...... I hate it. Desperation and frustration are a mixed bag, it can motivate you but the decisions can be shitty.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas

What motivates me? FREEDOM. Freedom to chose to do whatever I want with my time. Freedom to spend money without worrying about running out. Freedom to help the people I love in any way required. Freedom from financial worries. Freedom to work or not work. Bottom line FREEDOM to control my destiny on my own terms. Thanks.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas

It has been said that only two things motivate human beings, PAIN and/or PLEASURE. Makes sense when you boil it down. Thanks.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Motivation is for the birds.

You need a solid WHY and immense discipline.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.