The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What does it actually mean to change your mindset from a consumer to a producer?

Anything related to matters of the mind

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
I kind of understand that it means seeing things with the perspective of a producer, but how do you implement it in real life? What are some habits I can do to have a producer mindset?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
It's just a different way of looking at the world.

Consumer: "What can you do for me?"

Producer: "How can I help you?"

Consumer: "How can this business help me?"

Producer: "How does this business help customers? Who do they serve? Why do they choose this business?"

Consumer: "How can I get what I want?"

Producer: "How can I make this win-win for the both of us?"

Consumer: "What kind of business would I like to start?"

Producer: "What does this particular group of people need?"

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
634%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
At the state fair

Consumer: “La la la, I’ll ride this ride, oh look, scones, la la la, aw man, there’s a line, I hate lines, I’ll go over to this thing instead, la la la”

Producer: “Hmm, the fair runs here for an entire month, an empty lot near the fair sells parking spaces for $15 and I see this empty lot here on Zillow is selling for $50,000. It could fit about 40 cars on it, with cars coming in and out I bet I could sell 60 spots each day so 27k income over the month just from the parking”

“Scones for $4.50 each? Looks like they sell one every single minute. They must sell 2k a day and I’m sure they don’t cost more than .50 each in COGS. They must clear $8k a day I wonder how much a spot here costs.”

G

Guest-5ty5s4

At the state fair

Consumer: “La la la, I’ll ride this ride, oh look, scones, la la la, aw man, there’s a line, I hate lines, I’ll go over to this thing instead, la la la”

Producer: “Hmm, the fair runs here for an entire month, an empty lot near the fair sells parking spaces for $15 and I see this empty lot here on Zillow is selling for $50,000. It could fit about 40 cars on it, with cars coming in and out I bet I could sell 60 spots each day so 27k income over the month just from the parking”

“Scones for $4.50 each? Looks like they sell one every single minute. They must sell 2k a day and I’m sure they don’t cost more than .50 each in COGS. They must clear $8k a day I wonder how much a spot here costs.”
"I could charge $X for parking, set up a food truck nearby... hey wait a second, I still paid for a ticket, I'm going to ride this ride!"

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I do this math all the damn time - usually when I'm frustrated at the wait of something. Immediately turns anger and frustration into intrigue and ideas.

Recently I noticed a car wash that opened up near me. 100% automated. There's ALWAYS 3 cars waiting to go in at all hours of the day - even just before and after huge storms. The cheapest package they have online is $40 per month or something like that (it's a subscription car wash). The math adds up really nicely really quickly for something that has a commercial footprint smaller than a McDonalds.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Consumer: Complains about lots of things and does nothing about it.

Producer: Observes people complaining and think about how to provide a solution. Only acts on a few because they observe this multiple times a day due to their mindset.

Consumer: Oh my. Look at all those barriers in my way.

Producer: Oh my. Look at all those barriers to entry in everyone's way when I figure this out.

Consumer: That's a hurdle. It's between me and my goal.

Producer: That hurdle's a stepping stone in disguise. When I get over it I'll be one step closer to my goal.

Consumer: How can I do that!

Producer: How can I do that?

Consumer: Yes, I hear you, BUT it won't work because of XYZ. (Gives up.)

Producer: Yes, I hear you, AND it won't work because of XYZ. (Proceeds to figure out how to do XYZ.)

Consumer: Upon spotting someone who needs help: What books should I consume? What courses should I buy? What more should I learn?

Producer: Here. This should help you.

Consumer: Knowlege is power. Reading a book a day is a great goal. I'm on a self-improvement journey. Hmmm... How come my bank balance isn't improving?

Producer: The market doesn't gaf about the books I've read and courses I've taken.
How can I help them, and get paid?

Consumer: I can't do that. I've not been on a course yet.

Producer: Rolls up sleeves.

Consumer: Business is so hard. Look at all this stuff I have to learn. And there's so many YouTube videos and podcasts I have to consume to upskill.

Producer: Business is simple. Help people. Get paid. Help more people. Is what I'm doing right now going to help people, help me get paid, or allow me to help more people?

Consumer: I'm going to consume my way onto team producer.

Producer: Hits publish.

I could go on, but hopefully you get the point.

EDIT:
I'm reminded of this video I posted last night:

Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
634%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
In elementary school

“Hmm, when the kids read a book, they take an online test about the book for points. (AR points) If I lookup the summary of a book and pass the test and get 10 points, the other kids would pay me to take all the tests for them on that one book I only read the summary on once”.

Yes that’s what I did when I was 11 and got in trouble from Ms. Williams when some dork told on me.

1689016011564.jpeg

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jan 18, 2022
Consumer looking at jacked-up, F5000: "Man, all the neighbors will know how cool and successful I am. This truck is so cool, not a single person will make a "small penis" joke. "I have to have this in my life, even if I sacrifice my financial stability getting it."

Producer looking at jacked-up, F5000: "I wonder how I can improve this. Change the marketing to reach more people? Change the vehicle itself? Offer more options? Offer an electric version? Can I change the name to the "F9000 (because it's over 9000?!)?"

At its base foundation, you focus on how to improve something to get other people to buy it, instead of looking at items and listing the reasons as to why you want to buy it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Consumer: Walking into a fancy high end store and wanting or wishing you could buy tons of stuff.

Producer: Walking into a fancy high end store and not wanting anything but trying to figure why other people want all this stuff.

Last edited:

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Aug 9, 2022
I always think of the spoon analogy from one of MJ's books. Can't remember which but it made a big impression on me.

I found a picture on Google.

spoon.png

Everyone is hungry but can't feed themselves because they each got a LOOONG spoon. To become satisfied, a person must use their own spoon to feed someone else(you'll have to use your time to scoop the food and then deliver it to the other guy). A.K.A create a valuable product+marketing+sales. Once the other person is fed, only then will you get your fill. They pay for your product with their money(BREAD!).

The producer is the one that takes the initiative to feed someone else. The leader. The outlier. The nonlinear thinker.The one that solves another person's problem because they understand that's the process of never worrying about hunger again.

The consumer is the people waiting to be fed by the producer. They're hungry but don't even realize they need to feed someone else(provide value) to earn their fill. All they do is whine and complain or beg.

EDIT: The producer is also the one thinking about which person is hungry and need feeding. Because giving food to a person that's already satiated is the same as selling ice to Eskimos as some Wall Street bigshot puts it. Producers alway think about who needs food from their spoon...

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
A consumer thinks about himself. Thinks about finding something that can benefit him. Cheap. Fast. Status. The consumer wants it all.

"What can you do for me?"

"What's the cheapest option?"

"Gonna buy this car cuz I wanna show my friends how rich I'm!"

Consumers think that in order to help someone, they need certifications and study a lot.

"Facebook ads? Sure I can help! Just need to take this course, and this course, and this course. Oh don't forget to write all I've learned in a notebook, just in case"

The consumer roames around life thinking about movies, anime, games and the next entertainment.

"OMG GUYS, have you seen the Lakers today?"

"Yo the Death Note anime is dope, I watched the whole series and read the manga, I'm thinking of watching the anime One Piece next"

"Call of Duty and Team Fortress is my favourite game! Fortnite too!"

Producers in another hand thinks about how he can help someone or improve something. He strolls through life asking himself questions about improving things in life he encounters like products, services or businesses. When he takes his children out to a movie, he asks himself:

"How do the employee operates?"

"Could this poster be better? I think the recommendations should be here and the title should be like this"

"What is the difference between this business and other movie businesses?"

When a producer sees someone having problems, he helps them. If he doesn't know something when helping the person, he learns and help the person with the knowledge he gain.

You could be a producer today just by simply being aware and pay attention in your daily life. Ask yourself questions about improvement and flaws you see in products, services and businesses you interact everyday.

Always look for improvement and how you can improve a product, service or business and you will be a producer.

I remember a paragraph from millionaire fastlane about this producer mindset.

(Funny thing is, when I started my window cleaning biz, I started a notebook called window cleaning notebook and wrote down everything I knew about it. Research and wrote it down)

Attachments

• IMG-20230711-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20230711-WA0002.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Consuming: Wanting to buy the latest iPhone, buying the latest Gaming PC or custom building one when you know saving the money as an emergency fund is way better in the long run. Purchasing a car or the latest jeep on a financed loan paying $700 a month owing $35k principal (Not accounting interest). that you can't afford even though your living on VA Affairs and Disability while running low on cashflow towards the end of the month. I'll throw a stupid mistake as an example I did last year. Just got in to a car wreck, I am the fault-driver. My car is totalled. My vehicle was appraised at a value of $14k. I got back $13k after fees, I REALLY wanted to buy a car straight, but I didn't. I needed to use some of the money to payoff a civil small claims court lawsuit. Then I used the rest of the money to payoff some debt and place down $4,500 dollars on a car. Financing it at a 17% APR while the principal is $18k. By the end of the loan I'll have paid $30k in total including the principal. I'm selling the car, when I get $5k to pay a used vehicle. Keep your 100,000 mile car, you will thank yourself for not having a car payment.

Producing:

Example of finding problems and becoming a producer:

Looking on Nextdoor.com to see what services you could provide by reviewing the posts example below:

1689044683175.png

Could you help remove weeds for this person? Btw I know the guy in the photo lmao.

1689044763252.png

A cat is lost, could you create a product or service that could help find them?

1689044808058.png

Here's one about landscaping, Johnny Boy does lawn care. So this could be a potential opportunity to do something similar in my area.

1689045066044.png

Here's another for landscaping.

1689045125598.png

Cutting hair, if you know how.

I'll throw in another, it's helping your neighbor move in or out of their apartment just because you want to help out and be friendly.

Last edited:

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Consuming: Wanting to buy the latest iPhone, buying the latest Gaming PC or custom building one when you know saving the money as an emergency fund is way better in the long run. Purchasing a car or the latest jeep on a financed loan paying $700 a month. that you can't afford even though your living on VA Affairs and Disability while running low on cashflow towards the end of the month

Producing:

Example of finding problems and becoming a producer:

Looking on Nextdoor.com to see what services you could provide by reviewing the posts example below:

View attachment 50030

Could you help remove weeds for this person? Btw I know the guy in the photo lmao.

View attachment 50031

A cat is lost, could you create a product or service that could help find them?

View attachment 50032

Here's one about landscaping, Johnny Boy does lawn care. So this could be a potential opportunity to do something similar in my area.

View attachment 50033

Here's another for landscaping.

View attachment 50034

Cutting hair, if you know how.
It's all about helping someone and making their life easier, better or entertained. Ultimately it's all about providing value to someone and solving their problems right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
It's all about helping someone and making their life easier, better or entertained. Ultimately it's all about providing value to someone and solving their problems right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong
That's what being a producer is, you become selfless, instead of Selfish. "I want this, or I want that". It's you looking at your grandmother who's disabled and finding ways to help her.

It's helping someone find a good computer for him to edit videos faster.

It's to help that that business owner who's doing well with their business, but wants a website to show offer her projects since she has increased demand for service.

As James Jani said. Stop focusing on Money. Find Problems in the marketplace and find solutions to help solve those problems. That's how all wealth is created.

It's about empathy and caring about others, being that good parent to your child who needs love and affection. To know that he/she is not neglected emotionally or physically.

1689046036789.png

Last edited:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
In elementary school

“Hmm, when the kids read a book, they take an online test about the book for points. (AR points) If I lookup the summary of a book and pass the test and get 10 points, the other kids would pay me to take all the tests for them on that one book I only read the summary on once”.

Yes that’s what I did when I was 11 and got in trouble from Ms. Williams when some dork told on me.
Sorry you got in trouble. No one had to rat you out. We teachers have ways to figure this stuff out.
I kind of understand that it means seeing things with the perspective of a producer, but how do you implement it in real life? What are some habits I can do to have a producer mindset?
A consumer looks at a holiday to buy stuff on sale.

A producer sees the holiday as an opportunity to sell the stuff.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
634%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Sorry you got in trouble. No one had to rat you out. We teachers have ways to figure this stuff out.

If only they had ways to figure out how to make money

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
Consumer: I'm going to consume my way onto team producer.

Producer: Hits publish.
I was EXACTLY thinking like the consumer here. Nice 'AHAH' moment

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
At the state fair

My brother, when he was alive, owned a carnival. He had one popcorn popper he called his million-dollar machine because it literally had made him that kind of money over the years. Think of that. One machine with one person to pop the corn -- scoop after scoop, night after night, venue after venue, dollar after dollar... Wow!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.