The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What does a guy have to do to earn 100 points around here.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Here's an interesting bump from an older thread on the topic of lending value to the forum.

It's a pretty easy concept. Runum stated somewhere on page 2 that the forum is a microcosm of the real world.

You add value, people throw you "likes" and "speed+" fake forum currency.

You want to measure how much of a return on investment of time other people find your contributions to the forum?

Look at it like this. Doesn't matter if you have been here a week, or several years.

Look at your ratio of LIKES to MESSAGES.

If you have less than 1 like per message, it means you have a low value to post count ratio. Step up your game.

If you have a 1:1 ratio of post counts to messages, you are doing pretty well! People are liking what you are contributing.

If you have more than 1 like as a ratio to messages, you're kicking a$$ and adding value to the forum.

One classic post that leaves solid advice, bread crumbs for others to follow that come behind you... that's all it takes.

Live legendary. Give back.

Learn how to add value to people's lives. In the real world, they'll reward you with money. Here... the money might be fake, but the reward comes the same way it does as in life... by making a difference.

whats-your-number-art.jpg

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Bumping thread especially the following post by @Vigilante. I noticed a few members comment spamming recently. I've even sent some warnings the past week.
Here's an interesting bump from an older thread on the topic of lending value to the forum.

It's a pretty easy concept. Runum stated somewhere on page 2 that the forum is a microcosm of the real world.

You add value, people throw you "likes" and "speed+" fake forum currency.

You want to measure how much of a return on investment of time other people find your contributions to the forum?

Look at it like this. Doesn't matter if you have been here a week, or several years.

Look at your ratio of LIKES to MESSAGES.

If you have less than 1 like per message, it means you have a low value to post count ratio. Step up your game.

If you have a 1:1 ratio of post counts to messages, you are doing pretty well! People are liking what you are contributing.

If you have more than 1 like as a ratio to messages, you're kicking a$$ and adding value to the forum.

One classic post that leaves solid advice, bread crumbs for others to follow that come behind you... that's all it takes.

Live legendary. Give back.

Learn how to add value to people's lives. In the real world, they'll reward you with money. Here... the money might be fake, but the reward comes the same way it does as in life... by making a difference.

whats-your-number-art.jpg

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"Tell me what you've done, and I'll tell you who you are."

"Money is proof you helped your fellow man."

Two of my favourite sayings.

Look at them closely though.

The first is a cold lens by which you will be judged: "Tell me what you've done, and I'll tell you who you are."

Maaan, there's no hiding from that one.

How do you stack up?

Did you answer with all the things you've done for yourself? All your fine achievements that people will marvel at and deem you a success? Was your answer about me, me, me? I did this, I did that, I do this, I do that?

That's quite a telling answer.

Or was your answer about what you did to help your fellow man? I helped this person, I helped that person, I help this group of people achieve these results?

Of the two answers, who do you think will end up with more "proof they helped their fellow man"?

"Tell me who you've helped, and I'll tell you who you are."

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
I was over the moon when I hit that magic 2.0 ratio, silly right?

I actually realized, about six months in, how the people I really looked up to had awesome ratios. So then (yeah, this gets pathetic pretty quick) I put together an Excel spreadsheet and calculated how many likes per post I would need if I wanted to have a 2.0 ratio before my year anniversary.

With this data, before I made another post I would pass it through a mental filter and ask myself if posting it would likely generate this magic number. I also set a goal for posting x times per month with these high-value posts.

…Yeah, I told you it was pathetic.

But I hit my goal a month early— heck yeah! Small victories. It's all about the small victories.

3de4c0e02f5f238610de9062ec468aad8ddd38dfd825fdce632fe47116791901.jpg

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was over the moon when I hit that magic 2.0 ratio, silly right?

I actually realized, about six months in, how the people I really looked up to had awesome ratios. So then (yeah, this gets pathetic pretty quick) I put together an Excel spreadsheet and calculated how many likes per post I would need if I wanted to have a 2.0 ratio before my year anniversary.

With this data, before I made another post I would pass it through a mental filter and ask myself if it would likely generate this magic number. I also set a goal for posting x times per month with these high-value posts.

…Yeah, I told you it was pathetic.

But I hit my goal a month early— heck yeah! Small victories. It's all about the small victories.

I don't think it's silly at all. If anything, I think you're doing what the Rep/Speed system is intended to do - and that's to encourage you to add value.

By adding value, you're getting more likes. To get more likes, you focused on adding value.

Obviously this can get taken too far... what if you could massively help someone but only they are likely to thank you for it? What if you started click-baiting and asking for likes? It would defeat the purpose of the system.

Two lines spring to mind:

"Catch them when they're good."

I think of this when parenting... I want to reward with my attention the kid who's quietly eating his dinner, NOT the two who are messing around. Well done MJ on constructing a system that rewards the behaviour he wants to see.

"You can't manage what you can't measure."

When you put a number in front of someone, they'll start to automatically try and improve it. If you measure you're weight every day, even if you're goal is not to improve your weight, you'll start to notice what moves the needle, and do less of some things and more of others.

(Personally, I've seen things go stupidly wrong when people/businesses focus on the number they are measuring success by, rather than realising that it's just a proxy. I *really* take that line with a pinch of salt... and sometimes deliberately DON'T measure things because I know it sends me off down the wrong track. Hmmm... actually, I hate that line, but it still has it's uses.)

Good work. Thanks for letting us into your inner world. ;)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I saw a guy come in here two weeks ago and post an intro post and a thank you to MJ. He read the book, built and sold a fastlane business, and stopped in to credit MJ for the inspiration contained within the Millionaire Fastlane .

His speed # on the forum was a meteoric 1 day rise. Fastest speed #'s I have ever seen as people were encouraged by his story.

ONE POST. That's all it took.

Other people here have posted hundreds of posts with no speed. There's a reason.

It's fundamental to the message contained within the Millionaire Fastlane . Add value to people's lives, and it will yield results.

I could care less about speed numbers. It's a fictitious, symbolic number.

Please don't strive for higher speed numbers. Add value. People are here to learn from you. Let your enjoyment from this forum be what you can add to it, and take away from it.

When I was an employee, I never wanted a 5***** review. I just wanted cash. My self worth was not found in my jackass bosses evaluation of my performance. They can keep the bullshit, the employee of the month awards, and the gold stars. I knew who I was, and how I performed. All I wanted from them was cash. I didn't need then, and don't need now... a pat on the back.

If you find your value here or anywhere in the number of gold stars you collect, you will never progress beyond the surface.

The world rewards you in cash. If this forum paid cash for speed, I would strive. It's doesn't, so I don't. This aint kindergarten. Add value. Find your esteem and accomplishment in the people you are able to impact along the way. Speed is pretend.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Holy Crap! @Vigilante has a ratio of 5.3 to 1. Not surprising, but dang, that's some serious value, especially given the fact he's posted over 24 THOUSAND messages. I mean, think about that, to not only post lots of stuff, but lots of valuable stuff, literally tens of thousands of messages. Wow.

Looking at my own stats, I'm happy to see a ratio of 4.3 to 1, but a lot of that, I think, is because I tend to post on a pretty hot topic (self-pubbing), which interests quite a few people. I'm not posting a lot these days though, because I'm writing, writing, writing... too slow as usual. :)

Very interesting discussion.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Holy Crap! @Vigilante has a ratio of 5.3 to 1. Not surprising, but dang, that's some serious value, especially given the fact he's posted over 24 THOUSAND messages. I mean, think about that, to not only post lots of stuff, but lots of valuable stuff, literally tens of thousands of messages. Wow.

Looking at my own stats, I'm happy to see a ratio of 4.3 to 1, but a lot of that, I think, is because I tend to post on a pretty hot topic (self-pubbing), which interests quite a few people. I'm not posting a lot these days though, because I'm writing, writing, writing... too slow as usual. :)

Very interesting discussion.

Shit. I need a new hobby.

Most of the likes can come from 1-2 threads. Post authentically, something from personal experience that others can use to further their journey.

Give people the chance to short cut their learning curve.

Edited to add: ok... I feel better. 6400 messages. @ChickenHawk :)

Last edited:

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
@MidwestLandlord Youve gained speed fast than I've seen a new member since I've joined. It's because every time you post, people listen. You provide a lot of value to the forum.

Thank you. Your words mean a lot to me.

If I can give back even 1% of the value I've already gotten from this forum in the short time I've been here, I'll be doing pretty good I think.

The value here is astounding. Like being a kid in a candy store for me.

When I first read TMF a few years ago, I honestly sort of shrugged it off. I was like "Good book, but I got this" (sorry MJ)

I was making over $1,000 a day at the time. Thought I was hot shit. Bought the Mercedes. (thank goodness I didn't splurge beyond that)

What a fool I was. Long story short, lying to myself lead to a deep dark depression. I came out the other side of that depression a much more empathetic person, and completely honest with myself. I didn't like what I had become. I made money, but I was throwing away my personal values to do so.

Read TMF again, and it was a completely different book than the first time I read it. The book didn't change, *I* changed.

Not completely out of the hole I dug for myself, but working like a machine EVERY DAY to get there. Providing value to people AND making money while doing it? Pretty sweet place to be!

Anyway, happy to be here.

Thanks again.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This is getting CRAZY!

I just had a guy threaten me in the showers that I had to give him cigarettes in exchange for speed.

SPEED POST Is that what he was talking about????

You shower with other fastlaners?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
The old likes never got you any speed. It was just a nother forum add on to quickly like something short. Speed is when you actually want to show your appreciation for advice or whatever, if gives you the option to leave a message. i think i always leave a message when i give rep speed. I click like when i agree with something, not that i don't think its valuable but its just easier.

On new people not getting speed, the biggest reason this works that way is because typically new people don't put in effort to let it be known where they are coming from. I don't know if you are a 20 year vet, or just repeating something you heard from somewhere else. If i knew that persons experience i would be more inclined to read things more in depth and value that persons response.

Most rep speed is accumulated when you either really help someone out, or you show your effort, or do something very in depth.... from what I've seen over the years. It's not hard to accelerate... be an asset, gain speed.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I have seen it at least 3 or 4 times on this forum,

People asking for or posting because they want speed or likes, From Rich kid basically admitting he was posting to get likes and speed, to Patrick straight out asking for you to speed his posts, and many others.

Sending out free books is not adding value to the site, Sure its nice, but what is it really? The speed should be for people who contribute here. Plain and simple, and used as a tool for newbes to know which posts matter.

If all I have to do to be number one on the speed board is to say, I will send anyone 5 bucks who speeds my post, then the system is flawed. Then what is the point of the system?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
All my internet points are earned in real life these days. My number is under 1to1 mainly because im a terrible writer and I trust less. Going to work on that writing thing though...

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
I notice that, just like out here in the world, the more well known a contributor is on the forum the quicker we are to add speed to his/her post. I am not complaining at all though, believe me whenever I get there I will know it was well deserved. Plus I find a lot more value in the post of those with experience.

However I find irony in how very similar that is to conducting business in society. The man/woman with no name recognition or resources will struggle the most getting started or building credibility, while those that have already had a fair amount of success or fame duplicate it far more effortlessly because human nature leads many to assume success breeds more success and many times that is true.

Again this is not a complaint just an observation and as a last thought I have seen some of the newer or not so well known members contribute some pretty good stuff and quite a few read the post, but no speed was given. Maybe I am missing something here.

I love this forum. Now give up some speed and stop acting like groupies.:D Peace

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I am glad you asked Patrick because you are to blame for my post. LOL

Do you remember all of those awesome books you were giving away to only members with 100 points......Think real hard now. Well my friend imagine how us little guys felt that never get enough speed donated to get up to a hundred points. Yep you treated us like red headed step children but we still love you.

SPEED SPEED SPEED SPEED

lol

YIKES!

Yussef it is 100 POSTS not Points.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/education/41922-used-books-i-have-i-am-selling.html#post225478

You are WAY over 100 posts.

I choose 100 POSTS so I didn't have anyone register just to get a free book. It was also to encourage members who were close to 100 to post more to get to the 100 post level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
Don't concern yourself with speed, concern yourself with your business, that is the only thing that counts.

And if you want speed you need to post feel-good, inspirational or confirmatory threads. Actual useful posts within threads don't necessarily get you speed, because newer people whom you are helping can't give you any speed even if they press "speed post". This needs to be rethought, because in reality solid advice to the new ones doesn't "pay off" in some's eyes. Action threads always attract speed - we all like to see someone walking the walk.

It's an observation not a critique. Again, concentrate on your business.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Don't concern yourself with speed, concern yourself with your business, that is the only thing that counts. And if you want speed you need to post feel-good, inspirational threads, actually useful posts within threads don't necessarily get you speed.

Ready for the flames...

Some golden nuggets do get buried. Sometimes a newbie will uncover an old thread that had good stuff hidden in it.

MJ set the system up as a mirror to the markets. What you value and think is great, the market may not like and therefore think of it as not valuable. I have had it done to me as well. You post an elaborate, thought provoking post and it is virtually ignored. That reaction is more about you and the value of your posts than it is about the readers. It's a sign that you are not contributing anything the market(forum) values. Bitching about it on the forum and in the market won't change anyone's mind and it makes you look weak.

Again, I have been there and done all that. Just my experience.

Good luck to all.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
This is getting CRAZY!

I just had a guy threaten me in the showers that I had to give him cigarettes in exchange for speed.

SPEED POST Is that what he was talking about????

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY

LMAO!

My rule is that I give speed when someone contributes value to the forum, to me, or when someone is taking massive action. I used to worry about speed for some reason. Now, as long as I'm contributing and taking action, I could care less if my speed was at ZERO.

“The value of a man resides in what he gives and not in what he is capable of receiving.”

Albert Einstein

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The speed system runs exactly as the business world.

Speed = Money = I'm going to BUY your product.
Likes = Smiles/Thanks/Agreement = I like your product, but not enough to open up my wallet and buy.

Notice that the highest speed persons at this forum happen to be the most successful. Strange? Nope. They figured out that value, attracts money. (Value attracts SPEED.)

I noticed a trend of some newer members contributing well thought out, insightful post and receiving very little if any speed at all.

Because in real life, reputation and track records matter.

If I released a new book, I'd generate 1000's in sales within a week.
If a newbie did the same , he wouldn't.

Such is reputation.

I used to worry about speed for some reason. Now, as long as I'm contributing and taking action, I could care less if my speed was at ZERO.

Ahhh... so you said "forget about money, I'm focusing on value!" -- and then suddenly, the speed came. Ironic ehh?

MJ set the system up as a mirror to the markets. What you value and think is great, the market may not like and therefore think of it as not valuable. I have had it done to me as well. You post an elaborate, thought provoking post and it is virtually ignored.

Perfectly stated. The market is the ultimate arbiter of this thing we called VALUE. Here at the forum, that is SPEED.

IMO, most people are focused on the wrong things. Those focused on speed, attract no speed. Those focused on money, attract no money.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
You shower with other fastlaners?

You mean you don't ? :rolleyes:

On another note, I don't even know why this thread is still open. The last thing you should be worried about is how much speed you are getting.

If you deserve it, the speed will come to you. (I see this in other forums all the time. Someone makes some half-a**ed thread about some method in broken English and at the end of the thread in size 95 font they write " IF YOU LIKE THIS PRESS SPEED+ AND THANKS"

... Everytime I see that, I remember why I value this forum so much.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
"Show me your achievement, and the knowledge will give me courage for mine." - Ayn Rand

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Right, writing more does make one better. But when you are busy, writing time is hard to come by. I do have some things written on a very private forum, even there though, its a matter of being concise and useful.

Nothing that i am really concerned about. Most of the folks here I talk to on a regular basis outside of the forum, just pointing out that it's not an end all be all. I do think it's an excellent system though!

Trolling (for sport) erodes the ratio.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It's not great, but MJ is at a 1.225 so I think I'm in good company so far. :)

I think there's been speed resets in the past, setting everyone back to zero. Probably accompanied by biblical gnashing of teeth...

Personally, I find the likes system helpful... I use it to gauge how well I've written a post. Did it resonate? Did it help anyone? I use it to learn how to write better posts.

That's partly why I also create so many new threads - so I can see how each opening post stands on it's own two feet (without click-bait style subject lines too).

The other reason for standalone threads is that I'm lazy. When I find myself repeating something, I create a quick thread and then link to it in future. Mind you, I'm doing that so often now I'm getting totally tangled up between my own posts.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.