The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What does a guy have to do to earn 100 points around here.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
I notice that, just like out here in the world, the more well known a contributor is on the forum the quicker we are to add speed to his/her post. I am not complaining at all though, believe me whenever I get there I will know it was well deserved. Plus I find a lot more value in the post of those with experience.

However I find irony in how very similar that is to conducting business in society. The man/woman with no name recognition or resources will struggle the most getting started or building credibility, while those that have already had a fair amount of success or fame duplicate it far more effortlessly because human nature leads many to assume success breeds more success and many times that is true.

Again this is not a complaint just an observation and as a last thought I have seen some of the newer or not so well known members contribute some pretty good stuff and quite a few read the post, but no speed was given. Maybe I am missing something here.

I love this forum. Now give up some speed and stop acting like groupies.:D Peace

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I think what happened was back a few months ago if a person clicked like on a post it contributed to your speed.

Now I believe they have to click SPEED POST. I never think to click SPEED POST but do click LIKE all the time. I am guessing many others do the same.

BTW WHAT is the difference between SPEED POST and a like why the need for both.

If this is true it seems it now takes more and longer to get to say 100 KPH than it used to.

I don't like the new way at all. Also don't like that it changed from MPH.

BUT I don't own the forum and don't pay anything to be here so it is what it is.

It is the same on many forums also, put a photo of a pretty woman in your avi and you will reach a higher ranking MUCH faster than any guy will no matter how much more or less than contribute lol

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair

I'd be interested in the answer to this too. I'm never quite sure which shows more appreciation for the post's content, "liking" or "speed-posting."

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
I think what happened was back a few months ago if a person clicked like on a post it contributed to your speed.

Now I believe they have to click SPEED POST. I never think to click SPEED POST but do click LIKE all the time. I am guessing many others do the same.

If this is true it seems it now takes more and longer to get to say 100 KPH than it used to.

I don't like the new way at all. Also don't like that it changed from MPH.

BUT I don't own the forum and don't pay anything to be here so it is what it is.

It is the same on many forums also, put a photo of a pretty woman in your avi and you will reach a higher ranking MUCH faster than any guy will no matter how much more or less than contribute lol

I am glad you asked Patrick because you are to blame for my post. LOL

Do you remember all of those awesome books you were giving away to only members with 100 points......Think real hard now. Well my friend imagine how us little guys felt that never get enough speed donated to get up to a hundred points. Yep you treated us like red headed step children but we still love you.

SPEED SPEED SPEED SPEED

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
I'd be interested in the answer to this too. I'm never quite sure which shows more appreciation for the post's content, "liking" or "speed-posting."

Like is a pat on the back...speed is like you wrote me a check...that didn't bounce.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Like is a pat on the back...speed is like you wrote me a check...that didn't bounce.

Well, drat! There were some incredibly useful posts that I only "liked." But I'm pretty sure I speed-posted at least a few of them too. As for the others, well, um, the check is in the mail.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I am glad you asked Patrick because you are to blame for my post. LOL

Do you remember all of those awesome books you were giving away to only members with 100 points......Think real hard now. Well my friend imagine how us little guys felt that never get enough speed donated to get up to a hundred points. Yep you treated us like red headed step children but we still love you.

SPEED SPEED SPEED SPEED

lol

YIKES!

Yussef it is 100 POSTS not Points.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/education/41922-used-books-i-have-i-am-selling.html#post225478

You are WAY over 100 posts.

I choose 100 POSTS so I didn't have anyone register just to get a free book. It was also to encourage members who were close to 100 to post more to get to the 100 post level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Well, drat! There were some incredibly useful posts that I only "liked." But I'm pretty sure I speed-posted at least a few of them too. As for the others, well, um, the check is in the mail.

FYI I just gave you a pat on the back.:smilielol:

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Note to all of you awesome new guys that will be getting much deserved speed as a result of Kingsef's post...Uh you know what to do. Hit the button!!!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
The old likes never got you any speed. It was just a nother forum add on to quickly like something short. Speed is when you actually want to show your appreciation for advice or whatever, if gives you the option to leave a message. i think i always leave a message when i give rep speed. I click like when i agree with something, not that i don't think its valuable but its just easier.

On new people not getting speed, the biggest reason this works that way is because typically new people don't put in effort to let it be known where they are coming from. I don't know if you are a 20 year vet, or just repeating something you heard from somewhere else. If i knew that persons experience i would be more inclined to read things more in depth and value that persons response.

Most rep speed is accumulated when you either really help someone out, or you show your effort, or do something very in depth.... from what I've seen over the years. It's not hard to accelerate... be an asset, gain speed.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
The old likes never got you any speed. It was just a nother forum add on to quickly like something short. Speed is when you actually want to show your appreciation for advice or whatever, if gives you the option to leave a message. i think i always leave a message when i give rep speed. I click like when i agree with something, not that i don't think its valuable but its just easier.

On new people not getting speed, the biggest reason this works that way is because typically new people don't put in effort to let it be known where they are coming from. I don't know if you are a 20 year vet, or just repeating something you heard from somewhere else. If i knew that persons experience i would be more inclined to read things more in depth and value that persons response.

Most rep speed is accumulated when you either really help someone out, or you show your effort, or do something very in depth.... from what I've seen over the years. It's not hard to accelerate... be an asset, gain speed.

I also follow this school of thought Lighthouse. But it appears that some are confused about the value of adding speed to those that are clearly contributing excellent content in their post. Newbie or not if you drop a jewel, you deserve speed. It's a huge confidence builder and many really put energy into giving positive feedback to others as well as sharing valuable content.......SPEED.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Default What does a guy have to do to earn 100 points around here.

How did my heading get an apostrophe in What??? Too much wine I guess.

Ãœbertreffen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 17, 2012
It sounds like some may just not be aware of what speed is. Many may be new to this forum but they may already be successful or can provide experiences that can be very valuable to the community. For me, if I see someone who obviously takes some time to write their post or takes action by hitting the accelerator I will almost always like the post and SPEED the heck out of the person.

- Devin

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
It sounds like some may just not be aware of what speed is. Many may be new to this forum but they may already be successful or can provide experiences that can be very valuable to the community. For me, if I see someone who obviously takes some time to write their post or takes action by hitting the accelerator I will almost always like the post and SPEED the heck out of the person.

- Devin

That's only because you are uber-awesome.:eusa_clap:

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
Haha I absolutely hear you mate, personally don't see why Speed and
Like should be 2 different metrics.

I'd love to see my speed increasing for sure, but I put more focus into
the value I'm getting out of the forum, and seeing my bank balance
increasing is much more satisfying :)

If you have some good ideas about how the forum should be improved
I'm sure MJ would love to hear them! Me, I'm content to be a low-speed
driver, at least in the forum lol.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011

I think this should be sticky, if it ain't - it would clear things for many people, obviously most are not 100% sure about it, and more speed would be given away if they knew of this.

It cleared a few things for me too.

To all you good guys worrying about speed:

I guess it is natural wanting to advance as much as possible, as fast as possible, especially for us here.
But don't get caught up into chasing speed and likes. Leave that to stackoverflow geeks:)

(btw. on the mentioned site point really are a currency, as high score can help you land a well paid job)

I remember joining the forum - wanting so badly to see what's in the private forum, and being "parked".
But I logged in only when feeling like it, and posted always from the heart.

I think things go both ways:

speed chasing = more low quality posts (posting for the sake of getting speed)

speed cheating = fewer high quality posts (why would someone spend their valuable time posting if we can't even give them some feedback how much it meant for us)

(read about what's speed cheating in linked MJ's post)

Personally I've never seen a forum with so many cool people, and so few spammers and non-contributors. It's why I love it here.:yourock:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I must be making it up in my mind then....

The web cache doesnt even have the reply or quote buttons on there. Speed has always been here.

Yeah, it has always been there. It was a little star on the bottom of every post.

None of the little icons at the bottom are showing on the cache but they were all there.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
Don't concern yourself with speed, concern yourself with your business, that is the only thing that counts.

And if you want speed you need to post feel-good, inspirational or confirmatory threads. Actual useful posts within threads don't necessarily get you speed, because newer people whom you are helping can't give you any speed even if they press "speed post". This needs to be rethought, because in reality solid advice to the new ones doesn't "pay off" in some's eyes. Action threads always attract speed - we all like to see someone walking the walk.

It's an observation not a critique. Again, concentrate on your business.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Don't concern yourself with speed, concern yourself with your business, that is the only thing that counts. And if you want speed you need to post feel-good, inspirational threads, actually useful posts within threads don't necessarily get you speed.

Ready for the flames...

Some golden nuggets do get buried. Sometimes a newbie will uncover an old thread that had good stuff hidden in it.

MJ set the system up as a mirror to the markets. What you value and think is great, the market may not like and therefore think of it as not valuable. I have had it done to me as well. You post an elaborate, thought provoking post and it is virtually ignored. That reaction is more about you and the value of your posts than it is about the readers. It's a sign that you are not contributing anything the market(forum) values. Bitching about it on the forum and in the market won't change anyone's mind and it makes you look weak.

Again, I have been there and done all that. Just my experience.

Good luck to all.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Don't concern yourself with speed, concern yourself with your business, that is the only thing that counts.

And if you want speed you need to post feel-good, inspirational or confirmatory threads. Actual useful posts within threads don't necessarily get you speed, because newer people whom you are helping can't give you any speed even if they press "speed post". This needs to be rethought, because in reality solid advice to the new ones doesn't "pay off" in some's eyes. Action threads always attract speed - we all like to see someone walking the walk.

It's an observation not a critique. Again, concentrate on your business.

It's not that I am concerned with speed. But if I see that someone has speed I am more likely to view their profile to see what they have in their arsenal that got them speed. I give the bright folk on here more credit than to think they would just be giving it out undeservedly but as MJ said himself he has even given it to members that have posted good jokes. So yes even if a newbie takes a post and uses his/her business as a testing ground, has success or failure, and post the results I see something like that as a speed-worthy post being that it has the potential to help someone avoid a costly mistake.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Part of it is karma, I believe... related to how much speed you give to others...

Who has gotten speed from you lately?

Here is my current list of speed given:

Screen shot 2012-09-02 at 11.46.49 AM.jpg

At least 6 or 7 from that list are actually DOING stuff or going above and beyond to help others...

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I have seen it at least 3 or 4 times on this forum,

People asking for or posting because they want speed or likes, From Rich kid basically admitting he was posting to get likes and speed, to Patrick straight out asking for you to speed his posts, and many others.

Sending out free books is not adding value to the site, Sure its nice, but what is it really? The speed should be for people who contribute here. Plain and simple, and used as a tool for newbes to know which posts matter.

If all I have to do to be number one on the speed board is to say, I will send anyone 5 bucks who speeds my post, then the system is flawed. Then what is the point of the system?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've been here a week, maybe two. I'm at 40 speed in 46 posts. I certainly haven't been excluded from the "old boys club" you speak about.

I try to add value with every post. I speed post others who I think added value as well.

I also rarely say "Speed+" when I speed someone even though I read someplace this is a good idea - they know I did it for them in their notifications, not everyone needs to see me circle jerk about it.

Add value, be insightful, give out constructive criticism, post your growing experiences, your successes, your failures, mindsets that change your life, etc...

I get you were asking because of a misunderstanding of a goal (100 posts vs 100 speed) but in general you should see the speed indicator as a measure of how much value a person has had on others. Actively expending effort to increase this number to gain "cred" is really missing the point of it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.