The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What do you want to get better at?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You get better at whatever you do more of.

If you want to get better at producing, then there's a good argument for producing more.

Consuming has it's place, but sometimes it's used as a comfort blanket instead of stepping outside your comfort zone.

A fellow forum member posted the comment below and I thought it was a perfect example. (I don't mean to pick on him, just to pick up on it as a good example!)

I'm not really good at talking, you have any recommended books about cold calling or selling?

You can see where his comfort zone is right? *Reading* is more comfortable to him than talking to people.

Many of us in the forum enjoy reading, and that makes perfect sense given the medium of the forum.

But just remember that if you read a lot then you'll get better at reading.

If you write a lot then you'll get better at writing.

And if you talk a lot then you'll get better at talking.

The question to ask yourself is:

"What do I want to get better at?"

... then *do* it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Can I get a step by step guide to doing stuff? plzkthxbai

Jesting aside, the difference between learning styles is something I've observed. Some people have to read for hours about something before they try - and in some cases they can execute effectively after just reading about something.

Me? I gotta actually do it and make all the possible stupid mistakes before I learn. I generally do enough reading / learning to be dangerous and then jump in.

Reminds me of my first private question to you, @Andy Black where I asked if I should get my AdWords certification. I followed your advice and just did AdWords, instead of wasting time on the exam.

Now after hiring an AdWords sidekick to help me as I grow, I realize the truth of what you said. She's certified, certainly smart, but doesn't know much about the business side of it. Other folks I interviewed were even worse. They had the piece of paper, but no real intelligence or even basic knowledge.

They got good at studying for / taking an exam to get a piece of paper, but failed to get good at making people money with AdWords.

That's an entire galaxy of difference.

El Dorito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Sep 6, 2016
I am striving to get better at communicating with my subconscious mind because there are gems in there. You see, there are "hidden triggers" that once activated, can unleash your potential in full thrust. For example, I was able to dig inside my inner awareness and found out something that will serve me for years to come. I laid my trust to Cosmic Master Hypnosis and that's the precursor that unlocked my mind to the infinite possibilities of our secret mind that is found deep within...so I've gleaned a few gems with the power of hypnosis. You just have to get in deep trance and run the programming systematically.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Can I get a step by step guide to doing stuff? plzkthxbai

Jesting aside, the difference between learning styles is something I've observed. Some people have to read for hours about something before they try - and in some cases they can execute effectively after just reading about something.

Me? I gotta actually do it and make all the possible stupid mistakes before I learn. I generally do enough reading / learning to be dangerous and then jump in.

Reminds me of my first private question to you, @Andy Black where I asked if I should get my AdWords certification. I followed your advice and just did AdWords, instead of wasting time on the exam.

Now after hiring an AdWords sidekick to help me as I grow, I realize the truth of what you said. She's certified, certainly smart, but doesn't know much about the business side of it. Other folks I interviewed were even worse. They had the piece of paper, but no real intelligence or even basic knowledge.

They got good at studying for / taking an exam to get a piece of paper, but failed to get good at making people money with AdWords.

That's an entire galaxy of difference.
This is a great example, thanks for sharing @lowtek.

Spend your time doing rather than reading about doing.

For media buying in particular, spend your money on campaigns rather than courses.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I'm in a weird place. This year I've been going a different direction. And reading and studying seems not so important. Maybe because I've been binge studying for the last three years non-stop around the clock, and taking action as I go. Now it's been re-evaluating my work. Seeing what I can change. How can I adjust and adapt? What direction do I want to go? How do I make it more clear and concise? How do I make it more logical and concrete? How does it add value? What do my readers enjoy? What do they steer away from?

I believe it was important for me to stop for a few months, while I rested like M.J. because of my health. Like he stated hitting my head and cutting it open on the bathroom sink, alerted me, my health is important on this adventure. And sometimes you have to stop and take care of yourself. While I hate the fact I wasted valuable time and energy, it was necessary at the time. For me I needed to slow down, watch my eating habits, sleep, and fitness. While I enjoy the adventure of Entrepreneurship, I learned I can mentally exhaust myself from taking action around the clock. I'm so focused and Introverted I neglect eating, sleeping, and getting in the fitness arena. I can't emphasize enough what M.J. stated. Health is important.

Schedules and organization is what I'm working on more, getting things more in order in my writing. I am working on the Nano-writing Month at the moment.

ExcelGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 11, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario
I actually want to get better a graphic design and it might turn into a lucrative part time or full-time job while my Fastlane business is growing.

I just lost my job of 16 years on Nov 28, so I have almost 4 months home with pay so I can build my 2 sites (I know, it should be 1) and while that happens I'll be learning web stuff so I can sell things on my own site without having a middleman.

So I plan on doing more work on php, javascript, SQL, and I'm setting everything up using WordPress and hosting my new site on Amazon Web Services since the Tier1 virtual servers are free for a year. I just realized today I can even run my own email server without paying Godaddy $10 a month just for email.

Maybe in a month or so I can start making no cost/low cost web site starter sites for people here :)

My new site is actually going to be an online training site so if anyone wants to learn some of the above skills, drop me a message.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It's January 5th 2017.

You're going to get better at what you do the most.

What have you been doing so far this year?

Is it what you want to get better at this year?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
i wanna make cartoons.

TheDutch

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 30, 2016
Improving my Front-End Develop skills and optimize the Mindset, translating this in improvement of communication towards clients.
Just came by this forum a few weeks / month ago, gave me the motivation to get off the couch and start spending my time better.

Not just going to hang out, and Netflix anymore. Helping people, Reading books, making websites, and thinking my actions of the week over have priority now.

I want to get better at resting.
+1

Last edited:

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Do you have any books that teach you how to *do* it?
yoda-do-or-do-not-there-is-no-try.jpg

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Martial arts. Specifically brazilian jiu jitsu. I started BJJ a couple months ago and realized I had no F*cking idea what I was doing. But it's starting to make sense to me, and I can even put up a challenge to more experienced fighters.
But yeah in general, I'm always trying to increase my athleticism and martial arts ability.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Martial arts. Specifically brazilian jiu jitsu. I started BJJ a couple months ago and realized I had no f*cking idea what I was doing. But it's starting to make sense to me, and I can even put up a challenge to more experienced fighters.
But yeah in general, I'm always trying to increase my athleticism and martial arts ability.
Do it man!! It’s worth it knowing you can sleep a mofo if you have to.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I want to get better at being me.
Not in the sense that I'm trying to be other people. Just that I want to be better at recognizing my true strengths/weaknesses and not listening to the doubtful inner voice telling me I can't or the occasional external voice telling me I can't. I want to be better at recognizing how and where I can provide value and actually help people, and have the confidence to put myself out there. I want to be better at enjoying my journey.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I want to get better at being me.
Not in the sense that I'm trying to be other people. Just that I want to be better at recognizing my true strengths/weaknesses and not listening to the doubtful inner voice telling me I can't or the occasional external voice telling me I can't. I want to be better at recognizing how and where I can provide value and actually help people, and have the confidence to put myself out there. I want to be better at enjoying my journey.
When you don't feel good enough to do something, say "I AM enough. Because I say I am."

And be careful consuming too much. It can drown our your own thoughts. You often already know what to do or can figure it out yourself.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
When you don't feel good enough to do something, say "I AM enough. Because I say I am."

And be careful consuming too much. It can drown our your own thoughts. You often already know what to do or can figure it out yourself.
Thank you, @Andy Black . I'm working on it. Going through a doctorate program has really trained me to consume a lot of information, focus on all the details, and be as efficient as possible. It has been really tough to overcome, but I do feel I'm getting there.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
This is a really powerful question that is worth meditating on. I don’t know how to answer it for myself. I’d really like to be better at coding. For me coding is this mysterious land of cool numbers and math. Did you know Abraham Lincoln loved Euclid? He only started tackling geometry in his 40’s but he found it incredibly satisfying.

Recently, someone recommended The 5 Levels of Gifted by Deborah Ruf to my group of friends. It’s been a big conversational touch point that’s kicked off other questions such as, how do you know if you’re challenging yourself (and your kids) appropriately?

Apparently, the more intelligent you are the more mental exercise your mind enjoys. If you’re a big healthy athlete you feel the need to move and test your own strength or you feel “off” from inactivity. Puzzle ppl (my description for ppl with certain iq’s because I refuse to refer to ppl by repeatedly saying “highly intelligent”) LOVE puzzles. They need them or they feel “off” so they go in search for them.

When you’re healthy you want to push yourself. That challenge makes you happy. But puzzle ppl don’t always recognize this fact about themselves —- and then work that need into their regular weeks. They don’t treat it as a real hunger that needs to be fed. They get depressed when it doesn’t.. but they don’t always know why.

Interestingly, ppl will find ways to hack this need without realizing it because mental stimulation for them is a very real hunger.

After reading the book I had a sort of aha moment. I tend to jump on forums when I want mental stimulation. It’s immature to use conversation for a playground but it’s fun, at least for me. Oops.

Especially since I pick forums where really brilliant ppl tend to interact. But obviously, I should be challenging myself in other areas, not just conversationally.

This next part isn’t directed at you. Actually, if I’m entirely honest I don’t think you need any of this info. You’re well-balanced and mature. If anything I’m writing here to connect some dots for other people. Hello other people.

Some ppl who find problems “fun” tend to be a bit more prideful than average. Their pride will color the feedback of their own exertions so, just like a big weightlifter, they’ll think they’re already good at whatever they deem a “worthy challenge”. That is, until they meet someone in a completely separate realm of influence. Then, they’ll either dismiss that other realm entirely OR they’ll start all over again and tackle the new mountain with vigor.

So for instance, if you’re a really big weightlifter then Supple Leopard (training for flexibility) will be challenging. If you’re really into cardio, learning how to box or do Muay Thai becomes a whole new challenge where you have to relearn how to use your body, etc, etc.

Some really intelligent people feed this mind hunger by tackling new challenges so regularly that the ppl around them are amazed. “Why are you doing so much?!?”
they ask. And really that’s like asking “Why do you love chocolate cake?!?” Because it’s yummy. Duh. Mental challenges are actually delicious for some people.

I may be writing all this out to help ppl on this forum who have children that are even brighter than them.. hm.

Anyhoo.. this matters because the question “What do you want to get better at?” becomes a real test of humility and honesty. As humans we all tend to veer into our own comfortable ruts.

Do I want to start all. over. again in an entirely separate realm? I want to be challenged but.. let’s be honest. How much of a challenge do I really want?

What do I want to get better at?

Do I want to get better at not succumbing to boredom? Then I need challenges.

Do I want to be better at business? Yes, if only so I can support all my artist friends for the rest of my life.

Do I want to help people in a significant way? Absolutely.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I tend to jump on forums when I want mental stimulation. It’s immature to use conversation for a playground but it’s fun, at least for me. Oops.
I hop in here as a break from work. It helps me to come up for air before diving back into work again.

I notice I do a lot of "figuring it out" threads in the forum. Those are the puzzles I like solving. When I feel I've solved it I move on, which isn't necessarily the best for business. I should probably stick to one thing and keep digging deeper. I decided to do that this year and stopped doing videos, mucking about on Twitter, etc. I'm focused on one thing work wise now. There's enough puzzles in there to keep me interested. I don't need to keep getting distracted by new shiny puzzles.

Bohemi

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 28, 2022
Roskilde, Denmark
Im one of those book-reading-forever-curious-loves-to-expand-my-way-of-looking-at-the-world kind of people. I know I am not supposed to pick up another book and read, but I’m addicted. I love the feeling I get when something I have been struggling with mentally suddenly solves itself and I am not sure how I would feel if I gave up reading :D

But one thing I have decided to practice is to act on what I read about. Take the things I find in my books and make it my own by transforming it into something to share with the world. Right now it is in an online course for healers - to help them embrace their inner business women and get their business practices financially healthy. The online course had been ready for months, but now I have taken the steps to create the last finishing touch (made an workbook for taking notes and to help my participants to take action themselves) I find myself in a all too well known state of panic. What if it doesn’t work or people don’t buy it?

I don’t really know until I test it on the market, and this is where I need a lot of practice. Act even when I‘m overwhelmed with panic ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.