The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
House of Chains - Steven Erikson

Next on the reading list:

A Promised Land - Barack Obama
Why We Age, And Why We Don't Have To - David Sinclair

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
516mPcdVFBL.jpg

Continuing my autobiography streak. I'm finding this genre way more interesting, entertaining, educational, and inspiring than regular how-to books.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
This Jon Acuff book called Finish is freaking awesome. I’m so glad @TinyOldLady recommended it.

To read about noble obstacles (that people use when procrastinating) and recognize myself is just really really cool and eye-opening and humbling.

Thank you. Hopefully this will be exactly what I needed.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I finished Flowers for Algernon recently. Heart-wrenching story about a retarded man who gets cured and becomes a genius. But such quick grow comes with issues.

Right now I'm reading 1000 Years of Joy and Sorrow by Ai Weiwei. It talks about artists growing up under Mao's communist regimen. It starts with the author's father, and then proceeds with the author's story. It deals with censorship, banishment, and autocracy.

JamesQB8

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 20, 2019
Just finished 100M Offers by Alex Hormozi. I highly, highly recommend it.

Also just finished The Molecule Of More, which is a deep dive on dopamine. Very interesting read.

Currently reading Originals by Adam Grant and The Illusion Of Money by Kyle Cease
My friend just recommended Alex Hormozi to me and I'm listening to 100M on audible now. Seems very good.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
download.jpeg

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
How to win friends and influence people. Again.

watchopt

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
May 5, 2020
us
1. Origins of man and the universe

2. FLOW

3. The world is flat

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
boron letters (again for the 50th time or so)
finished rat race by mj
the feldman method
poor charlies almanac (always something I pick up each time it is read)
mastery

stavedeve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Aug 27, 2017
Minneapaolis
Thanks for the link! He'll be in my neck of the woods in October.

All of his books are fastlane material. I plan on reading all of his books in the "Instant Success" series.

Speed added ++
Thanks for sharing. Never heard but will check it out.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bookstore is back, however a lot of the community recommendations are missing. Feel free to nominate/mention something that has been repeatedly recommended here that I forgot.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
Bookstore is back, however a lot of the community recommendations are missing. Feel free to nominate/mention something that has been repeatedly recommended here that I forgot.

Loved Never Split the Difference.
Liked Atomic Habits.

One book I read that felt lackluster was Essentialism, by Greg McKeown. Felt very vague and unactionable.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Loved Never Split the Difference.
Liked Atomic Habits.

One book I read that felt lackluster was Essentialism, by Greg McKeown. Felt very vague and unactionable.

War of Art by Pressfield was like that for me. After reading I was like, "Huh, that's it?"

Then I wonder how millions of people continually recommend it.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

Excellent book so far. Learning a lot about Will and about life, discovering things about myself. It is better than I expected it to be by about 5x. Thanks for the recommendation, I got it on Audible.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

Love that you added a section of books recommended by you specifically. Would the order you listed them there in show the strength of recommendation (ie, first listed is more recommended than second and so on)?

War of Art by Pressfield was like that for me. After reading I was like, "Huh, that's it?"

Then I wonder how millions of people continually recommend it.
I had the exact same reaction. The whole idea is that you have to work consistently on your craft to be a pro, even when you don’t feel like it. I really felt there was nothing else of value in there. Honestly surprised by the rave reviews it gets, didn’t people already know this?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've added to Will and Tim Grover's Winning to the list which has been recommended several times.

Would the order you listed them there in show the strength of recommendation (ie, first listed is more recommended than second and so on)?

No, there is no specific order.

rsrs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 19, 2020
Brazil
DADBD9FE-D037-49BA-8091-E7A45050C7A4.jpeg

Breath - James Nestor

Incredible studies and ideas about the simplest thing we all do all the time. Getting better in breathing can be the key to unclock powerful energy in your brain as well as physical performance. The importance of carbon dioxide and how to breath the right way are shocking things to me.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
View attachment 41109

Breath - James Nestor

Incredible studies and ideas about the simplest thing we all do all the time. Getting better in breathing can be the key to unclock powerful energy in your brain as well as physical performance. The importance of carbon dioxide and how to breath the right way are shocking things to me.
Can you share some of the most surprising or useful tips? How does it correlate to Wim Hoff breathing exercises? Thanks

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

rsrs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 19, 2020
Brazil
Can you share some of the most surprising or useful tips? How does it correlate to Wim Hoff breathing exercises? Thanks
I can’t compare to win hoff, I kinda know that he have a method but I never really read a lot about it.

It’s a lot of incredible information in this book. I can remember learning about the slow breathing and how carbon dioxide levels actually help our blood oxygen. The coach who changed everything common sense thought about performance and breathing. The experiments the author took on only mouth breathing for some time that made his life completely miserable. And then only nostril breathing made him recover.

If I had only one take from this book would be: NEVER breath throught your mouth, NEVER.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Excellent book so far. Learning a lot about Will and about life, discovering things about myself. It is better than I expected it to be by about 5x. Thanks for the recommendation, I got it on Audible.

Glad to hear that. I honestly think this book teaches WAY more about life and business than many how-to books. An incredible story and so much to learn from the guy, even though he's clearly being a (sometimes extremely stupid) human being.

I've added to Will and Tim Grover's Winning to the list which has been recommended several times.

Glad to see Will added there!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
81UrNrAKQYL.jpg

Shaping up to be an awesome read so far. His story of the Great British Swim is just ridiculous.

@Antifragile I have a feeling you'll love this book. I'm getting crazily inspired already and I'm just beginning the story. I'll post an update once I finish reading.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I thought this was going to be really hard work, but it’s engaging, easy to read, and insightful to boot…

ED60365E-A5D2-431B-ACFE-1152E7B1570F.jpeg

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I'm curious, how exactly do you guys get so much value from biographies and fiction? I find like I feel I'm learning a lot less from this than actual technical books that are meant to change your thinking, teach you how to solve a problem and so on. For example, knowing that X did Z to solve Y problem in N context feels like it is not relevant for me. I also dislike stories in business books as well, since I feel it's the principles of thinking - the thinking tools - that are valuable.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I'm curious, how exactly do you guys get so much value from biographies and fiction? I find like I feel I'm learning a lot less from this than actual technical books that are meant to change your thinking, teach you how to solve a problem and so on. For example, knowing that X did Z to solve Y problem in N context feels like it is not relevant for me. I also dislike stories in business books as well, since I feel it's the principles of thinking - the thinking tools - that are valuable.

For me, autobiographies are meta-learning. You learn the life story of a person and can draw your own conclusions on what to do and what not to do. At some point how-to becomes too much and let's not fool ourselves here - when reading how-to, you aren't really memorizing all of the technical knowledge. And ultimately in life, I think it's more about general principles and long-term strategies than specific techniques.

anthonyseoul

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 16, 2017
London
I've just finished reading The Pleasure Trap, which is one of the best books I've ever read. It explains so much about why people eat crap and cannot stop. Even if you want to make small changes to your diet and health, this book is really eye-opening. I can also see the pleasure trap in other areas of life, such as choosing comfort over discomfort, choosing to procrastinate over getting the task done and not speaking up for yourself when you know you should. It's all about how the human mind defaults to seeking the most pleasure with the least amount of pain and expending as little energy as possible.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Tape your mouth closed at night with 3m surgical tape to avoid breathing through your mouth

Soft food, processed food, cooked meat have made our jaws weak and small, our brains have gotten bigger, making the mouth too small for our tongue and us unable to breathe properly leading to mouth breathing which makes it worse. You can tell a mouth breather by the shape of thier face it literally makes you uglier. No chin, massive nose, terrible posture.

Breathing out is just as important as in, getting rid of carbon dioxide is just as important as letting oxygen in, try to breathe all the way out to use your full lung capacity.

Once again breathe through your nose even during exercise, you will proform better even with less oxygen.

Breathe less than you think you need to. Deep breathes with a full breathe out. I believe the ideal time for a breathe is 7 seconds but I’d have to go and read it again to check.

Taping your mouth closed at night will open up your nose, you may last 15 minutes the first night but after a week you’ll go a full night. Taping your mouth closed will cure sleep apnea which you probably have if you breathe through your mouth at night.

Wim Hoff is great but this isn’t the same.

I wouldn’t bother reading the book, it’s just studies about why you should tape your mouth closed at night etc. it’s like a meditation book that has a bunch of studies about the benefits when really you just need to meditate. Wim Hoffs book is actually exactly the same come to think of it. A 15 minute technique followed by 300 pages of studies about why you should do it.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I agree, but doesn't how-to give you this in a more condensed form? I mean take a look at MJ's work. It's not "how to" in the sense of here's every single step you'll need to take... but it is how-to in terms of here are the principles you should guide yourself by
To me they don't exclude each other. I'm currently largely taking a break from how-to just because I found it too repetitive and not as memorable as someone's life story. But I'll get back to it when I'm ready.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
@MitchC
Thank you. You’ll laugh, but now I remember that I read the book! It’s the tape that reminded me. There was a lot of buzz in the athletic community about that.

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
Amazon.ca

Augustus: From Revolutionary to Emperor​

by Adrian Goldsworthy

His "father" gets most of the fame, but Augustus' story is far more fascinating. He was thrust into dangerous civil war politics in Rome when he was 19 years old and came out on top, established the Principate, and ruled for 4 decades.
Some people argue he was the wealthiest man ever in history.

One passage that has really stuck with me so far:

Alexander was by far the greatest hero of well-recorded times. Pompey had cultivated an image as the Roman Alexander, while a maturing Julius Caesar was said to have wept when confronted with a bust of the great conqueror, lamenting the fact that by comparison he had so far achieved very little in his life.
We reference his name every time we say 'July', still known the world over to this day, he had already done so much with his life, but he still wasn't happy with all he had accomplished up to that point. Examples of these hyper-competitive people where it's never enough for them; people say that it's greed or ego that keeps pushing these people forward...but is the world not a better place because of it?
Augustus "found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble" and also took the empire from one civil war to the next, to order and prosperity. Some of his building projects he commissioned still stand today.

These are the people we should strive to emulate. They left their mark on the world.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.