The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
Finishing up another book by Mark Schaefer, Cumulative Advantage - How to Build Momentum for Your Ideas, Business, and Life Against All Odds.

Found it useful and kind of gives additional information to his previous book, Known.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
Almost done with 'The Ride of a Lifetime' by Bob Iger

Reading 'Blink' by Malcolm Gladwell next

dinobose

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 7, 2021
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong​
This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.​
The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.​
Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.​
Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .​
Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,​
By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman
Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant​
Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager​
Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.​
What are you reading?

I'm currently reading TMF . I only discovered MJ a couple of weeks ago.

But previous to that I was reading

ThinkGrow.jpg

and before that

copywriting.jpg

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I am reading "In defense of deflation" by Philipp Bagus. An interesting book about why we need a world with deflation and not with the control of governments that can print whenever they want.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Winning the Looses game - Timeless Strategies for successful investing from Charles D. Ellis
Mind giving us a quick summary and your views on it when you finish reading it
Currently learning sales but that paper on which the book is based on is very profound.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Unfortunately Rhythm of War, the fourth book, is much worse than the previous installments. Hope it's an exception and not a trend.

Are you saying you didn't like any of them? And the 4th was the worst of the worst?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Are you saying you didn't like any of them? And the 4th was the worst of the worst?

I loved the first and the second book. As far as I remember, the third one was a little worse. But the fourth one is much worse. I actually considered stopping reading in the middle of it (a common sentiment when you check the top reviews). And Brandon Sanderson is by far one of my favorite authors, if not the favorite one.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I loved the first and the second book. As far as I remember, the third one was a little worse. But the fourth one is much worse. I actually considered stopping reading in the middle of it (a common sentiment when you check the top reviews). And Brandon Sanderson is by far one of my favorite authors, if not the favorite one.

mental illness mixed with psychology therapy.

Honestly though. When Moshe retired. His books have taken a hit.

Oathbringer is my favorite thus far. With Warbreaker & Mistborn Era 1 being tied for second.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Found a new series. Sun Eater by Christopher Ruocchio. 5 Books planned in the series. 3 are out currently. 4th comes out this July. 5th in 2022.

All I can... is holy :shit:.

IF you like Dune or Red Rising. You'll like this book.

RexRxNe.jpg

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
Found a new series. Sun Eater by Christopher Ruocchio. 5 Books planned in the series. 3 are out currently. 4th comes out this July. 5th in 2022.

All I can... is holy :shit:.

IF you like Dune or Red Rising. You'll like this book.

Thank you. My wife was a huge Frank Herbert fan. She read most of his books if not all. I didn't read the Dune series but I read several of his others.

My wife will be interested based on the comparison.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
I'm currently reading Tiny Habits by BJ Fogg and damn is it good. Best book I've read in a long time.

@MJ DeMarco, I know you are a fan of The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy. It's better than the Compound Effect. I still have 100 pages to go but I've started flossing for the first time ever. I also now do 2 post-pee pushups (I work from home) and drink more water. Drank a gallon today for the first time in months! I'm excited to drink more water because of the pushups. The key is to immediately celebrate your tiny habits. I've noticed that the more I immediately celebrate a tiny habit, the faster it's locked in. Not immediately celebrating it does make a difference.

Two things that are important are: 1) you need a prompt 2) you need to celebrate after doing your tiny habit. I really like the PAC man method - Prompt (example: turning the stove on), Ability (can you do it), Celebrate (snap your fingers, smile, imagine a crowd going wild, etc.)

A prompt could be when you turn on the coffee machine, after you brush your teeth ( flossing) when you lay your head on the pillow at night (think of one thing you're grateful for) , when you open the office door (I now use my foam roller for my back every morning when I open my office door)

Here are the new tiny habits I've started within the last month:
Maui habit (prompt: when I put my feet on the floor)
Praying (prompt: when I turn on the stove)
Read my Tiny Habits recipe cards (prompt: after I turn on the coffee machine)
Pushups (prompt: after I pee)
Using my foam roller (prompt: when I open my office door)(
Flossing (prompt: after I brush my teeth)
Tossing my son up in the air after we workout together (prompt: after the YouTube video says "Workout complete")

Also, the author is a Stanford University behavioral research doctor who is not a "guru" trying to sell you some BS. Not to mention, his 5 day tiny habits course is free.

I could go on and on about this book. It's definitely a home run!

Attachments

• tiny.jpg
    tiny.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Reading the miracle morning. So far it's been great, just trying different ways of it out so I find my sweet spot and get the right amount of sleep. 5am seems right.

As part of the 10 mins of reading every morning, I've started the daily stoic from Ryan Holiday, 366 meditations on wisdom, perserverance, and the art of living.

I still read normal books like miracle morning at night, but reading one or two daily stoics and mulling over it is something I can get behind as a lifelong habit for morning reading.

20210227_071628.jpg

runnaboi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 25, 2020
Australia
I am in for a long stay in hospital, so have got 5 books to get through!

- 12 Rules for Life
- The Way of the Seal
- So Good They Can't Ignore You
- The Naked Corporation
- Supply Chain Revolution

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Reading DECODING DIGITAL, a crash course on all the aspects of digital marketing, google ads, ppc,etc . Gives a brief overview of each concept and clears your basic idea of various aspects of digital marketing. So far so good.

Johnsinnovation

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 6, 2021
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

View attachment 21438

This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.​
The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.​
Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.​
Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .​
Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,​
By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman
Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant​
Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager​
Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.​
What are you reading?
I am currently reading David and Goliath. Fascinating and surprising research .

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
For Christmas someone received a copy of "The Ride of a Lifetime" by Robert Iger (CEO of Disney). My first thought was "this looks like an uninspiring autobiography of a self-important CEO" but I caught myself in that toxic sidewalker mindset. I decided instead that this man was objectively very successful in providing value to others and that I would do well to learn from him. So far I'm only disappointed in myself for having those initial judgements; the book is pretty good.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
cover-small.jpg

@Fox's new book (and it's available for free). Full disclosure: I helped create it and publish it but I didn't write it.

Don't be fooled by the title. While it is primarily aimed at those interested in starting a web design business, this book delivers hugely important meta-lessons for every entrepreneur. I've greatly enjoyed reading it and found some lessons for myself despite being in a completely different business.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
View attachment 37147

@Fox's new book (and it's available for free). Full disclosure: I helped create it and publish it but I didn't write it.

Don't be fooled by the title. While it is primarily aimed at those interested in starting a web design business, this book delivers hugely important meta-lessons for every entrepreneur. I've greatly enjoyed reading it and found some lessons for myself despite being in a completely different business.

Funny, i just saw this advertised on the BookBub email blast ... it caught my eye and after looking, I was like, "Hey, that's FOX!"

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.36.00 AM.png

@Fox -- what kind of results you getting with BookBub advertising?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Funny, i just saw this advertised on the BookBub email blast ... it caught my eye and after looking, I was like, "Hey, that's FOX!"

View attachment 37148

Thanks and that’s crazy!

@MTF will have to answer that - he is running all the campaigns.

Overall we have gotten some good rankings and I haven’t even sent to my email list or made a YT video yet.

Hopefully these images aren’t massive - I’m on a phone...

021B0BFF-C4D8-474F-8974-DAED0241511A.jpeg
04264E96-EE7B-4224-B6D7-65026B104882.jpeg
7DC8DEE6-4B4E-4218-ABBD-93B1B37F27C5.jpeg

wanzxre

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 30, 2021

View attachment 21438

And

View attachment 21439

What are you reading?
I actually read some of the first one and love how Mr. Armstrong is able to quantify these ideas.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I'm running the campaigns for Rob.

Since it's hard to track exactly how many sales this brought, I have only estimates. Right now it's roughly $2 per download. This is high but BookBub in the beginning is always expensive before you optimize it (and sometimes you won't be able to optimize it; it doesn't work every time).

I'm testing it on a very small scale as it's a free book and usually I only use BookBub Ads for $0.99 launches to generate initial traction. Then there's at least some instant return on the ad spend.

But other sites are working much better as we're at #83 Free now in Kindle Store and it's possible we'll hit top50 today. We're already at 885 downloads today and should easily cross 1,000, perhaps 1,500.

In total, so far since we started a couple of days ago (actually the first "serious" day was yesterday), we have 1782 downloads.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Currently reading this...

1615659576055.png

For entrepreneurs who have already made millions, I'm guessing a play on my money-system concept.

Started pretty strong but it looks like it's going to be a lead-magnet for the author's services.

I'll continue reading to see if there is any meat...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1619618222/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Halfway through this:

113B364C-97A9-4225-B133-D3CBC88E0667.jpeg