The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Raja

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 31, 2019
Unfu*c yourself

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ

dennisgerik

Unemployable?
FASTLANE INSIDER
May 24, 2015
Seattle, WA
I just finished "The Infinite Game" by Simon Sinek. I find that it reinforces the concept that business is "infinite" and trying to play it with a "finite mindset" is extremely limiting.

StewartHemmings

New Contributor
Oct 26, 2020
A couple-three or five, really. Ok, more. Let's go with the top ten that sit on or near my nightstand.

The last three paragraphs were written earlier this year. This next part, in June 2016.

I just started John Vaillant's "The Tiger", set in tropical Siberia, and it looks really good. I barely finished the Vietnam combat memoir "Rumors of War" by former Marine captain Philip Caputo. I had read it before, but without the compassion I brought to this second reading.

Critique : Excellent, literary, soul-searching, Caputo searches for meaning in the crucible of combat and a questionable act that almost gets him jailed by court-martial Cripes . That even sounds a bit like Caputo. But I think it's a fine book.

Jdes91

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 5, 2020
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong​
This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.​
The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.​
Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.​
Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .​
Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,​
By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman
Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant​
Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager​
Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.​
What are you reading?
Just finished reading the 10 pillars of wealth by Alex Becker. Overall, I enjoyed it although it felt somewhat redundant after reading the Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted. Alex can come off as a bit of narcissist to some people, but he really is onto something with his dopamine fasting and biohack videos on his youtube channel, some of the tips he's provided have really stuck with me (limiting foods with inflammation, cutting out things that give you a dopamine high and staying focused on your work for hours on end).

My next book will have to be about tips for managing your time and money and executing ideas, as well as other books about cutting out little things in your life. I feel I already read enough motivational books about entrepreneurship and don't really need to be convinced about the benefits of being an entrepreneur (Unscripted and TMFL already did that). I appreciate any and all suggestions!!!! Thinking of reading the 10x rule by Grant Cardone, hearing some great things about it so far.

denj

New Contributor
Oct 21, 2020
I study finance in college and decided to reread The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko. One of my fav books that worth reading. I'm working on my essay about this book and hope with some help of Assignment Shark service I'll finish it at the highest level.

Last edited:

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 23, 2014
What a thread guys!

Wanted to buy a couple of books on Amazon last weekend and opened this thread to find some inspiration.

This means that I have spent the whole week researching EVERY single book you have recommended and have narrowed it down to around 80 different ones that I want.

Guess the 2-3 books I wanted to order will be 15-20 books instead haha. The tough part now will be to narrow down my TOP 80 to a TOP 20. Wish me luck!

PURE GOLD THREAD!

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Just ordered these 20 bad boys. Can't wait for them to arrive. Ready for a long winter!

Salt, Sugar, Fat
The Complete Guide To Fasting
Cashvertising
Replay
3 Months To No.1
The Geography of Bliss
The Mastermind
Finding Ultra
McMafia
The Penguin History of Modern Russia
Never Split The Difference
Awaken The Giant Within
Easy Way To Stop Smoking
Tiny Habits
The Miracle Morning
Principles: Life and Work
Unscripted
Million-Dollar, One-Person Business
Mans Search For Meaning
Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging

Thank you for all the recommendations! (my wallet does not thank you though haha)

PapaGang

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
I study finance in college and decided to reread The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko. One of my fav books that worth reading.
That book is dope. Opened my eyes big time.

James HB

Wherever You Are, Be There.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 20, 2020
United Kingdom
Thinking of reading the 10x rule by Grant Cardone, hearing some great things about it so far.
It's okay. It does a great job of getting you pumped up... But leads you down the road of "must read Grand Cardone Books". I went down that path.

Read 10X & Sell or be sold, then call it a day for Uncle G.

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Shame on me. Stealing all your good recommendations without giving something back!

Right now I am reading Dictatorland: The Men Who Stole Africa. Picked it up randomly in my home-country as there was not many English books to choose from, and it definitely has surpassed all my expectations.

Didn't know much about the history of Africa before, and this got me really interested in the subject. It is divided into different chapters about 6-7 different countries. The stories about Congo and Libya was insane to read. Now reading about Nigeria, oil, tribes and coupes. What an interesting and painful history this great continent has lived. It really shows how 'we' f***** up Africa with our hunt for minerals, diamonds and oil, and how some of the most powerful and barbarous dictators started with good intentions, and then become more and more greedy and un-human as their wealth and power grew.

One of the most interesting books I have read over the year. Can highly recommend!

Jdes91

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 5, 2020
Hey guys! Can anyone on the forum recommend books or sources of information for creating start-ups? Or specifically sources for information on how to start one in the middle of a pandemic? I've thought of checking out the lean startup as a possible place to start...

James HB

Wherever You Are, Be There.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 20, 2020
United Kingdom
Hey guys! Can anyone on the forum recommend books or sources of information for creating start-ups? Or specifically sources for information on how to start one in the middle of a pandemic? I've thought of checking out the lean startup as a possible place to start...
In the middle of a pandemic...nothing springs to mind.

$100 start up is good, built to sell & I've heard start with why is good (it's on my list of next reads)

In terms of specifically for a pandemic, I'm sure there will be plenty of books coming to the marketplace for this.

Overlander

New Contributor
May 14, 2016
Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future by Ashlee Vance

Incredible book, I find it hard to put it down and get back to work. Wish I'd picked this up years ago when it came out.

Last edited:

Max Shapira

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 15, 2019

Not a book but a short article by the "startup legend" — Paul Graham.
Why to Start a Startup in a Bad Economy

And here is a great book by Rob Fitzpatrick, which is not specifically for a pandemic. However, will help you regardless of the current economic conditions:
The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you: Fitzpatrick, Rob: 9781492180746: Amazon.com: Books

Good luck, buddy!

Abenh

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 14, 2020
Algérie
GOLDEN THREAD
I finished reading The way of art by Steven Pressfield; way of the wolf by Jordan Belfort; Descipline equals Freedom by Jocko Willink
Currently reading TMF by MJ DeMarco for the second time ( one time is not enough)
The 33 strartegy of war by Robert Green
Crucial Conversations ( i'm still in the half of it by this book is amazing and has so much valuable informations that help you improve your dialogue)

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Reread TMFL. Now listening to Elon Musk’s Biography and Why We Sleep.

changmd

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 23, 2020
Paraguay
The last book read are M.J. books, then I just stopped reading, I have been reading so many books, as I know that I am just action faking, well, still haven't taken any action yet, but I would rather let this emptiness take over me than faking taking action reading books.

Bones81

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 29, 2019
Unknown Market Wizards: The best traders you've never heard of

This is the latest in Jack Swager's Market Wizards series. These are great books for anyone who is interested in trading. It presents people who trade in completely different ways, yet have many things in common (primarily risk controls and discipline).

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I am reading Tiger Woods by Jeff Benedict. I don't like golf, or at least I don't enjoy it, but the same I can say about basketball but I love the book about Michael Jordan. Biography is the best to get closer to people who obtain something very impressive.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Currently reading:
  • Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance
  • Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker
I have a few books lined up to get through after my current reads (in no specific order):
  • Awaken the Giant Within by Anthony Robbins
  • The Ride of a Lifetime by Robert Iger
  • The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
  • The Pragmatic Programmer by David Thomas
  • Influence by Robert B. Cialdini
  • Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson
  • Re-read of Unscripted by MJ DeMarco
  • You're Not Listening by Kate Murphy

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Hi Fox, After reading your threat and watching some of your youtube I have several query ? 1...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
If you read the last message then you know I'm removing my courses from Udemy next month. You...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom