The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

LordGanon

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
Business: Scientific Advertising - Apparently, it's a must read, and I must say that it is like fresh, old wind in between reading the newer stuff of marketing gurus.

For fun: The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick - PKDs take on mysticism and gnosticism heavily resonates with me, and I made a lot of similar experiences.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Jazzcat

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 3, 2013
Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
Start Up Stories: Lessons For Everyday Entrepreneurs - Steven Phelan

A read and discuss book with my nephew..he is still in high school (grade 11)...he found it and wants to chat about it...I'm encouraged.

andyhaus44

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Trying to decide between...

The Book on Negotiating Real Estate

SPIN Selling

The Compound Effect

Built to Sell

Getting to Yes

Anybody wanna weigh in? The critical path for me right now is reaching out my existing network trying to get my biz off the ground.
The Compound Effect is great

andyhaus44

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Since I’ve not been the best goal setter in the past, am currently reading Goals! by Brian Tracy. It’s good and I’d recommend it

Alleghenyman

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Nov 18, 2019

You made me get Storyworthy from Audible and I’ve been enjoying it so far. As a young man I wanted to be a writer but I struggled to find a story I wanted to tell. As a grown up I’m realizing how much of what we do every day depends on providing a narrative sequence that resonates with our audience.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
About to begin Start with why by Simon Sinek. Been looking forward to this one for some time now.

Mr.Valentino784

New Contributor
Aug 17, 2020
St Vincent and the Grenadines
I will be honest majority of the advice that books has is tactics about warfare and about life. But an old saying goes pick sense out of nonsense, you can use some of those strategies in business once you understand the book properly.
I read it too, and I must admit I was disappointed because so many said it taught skills relevant to business, life, or whatever but it’s literally combat tactics.
Some of them could be extrapolated to competitive practices or negotiations but overall, it wasn’t as relevant as I expected. But idk! What was your take on Art of War?
will

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I just finished reading My Life and Work by Henry Ford. I highly recommend this book. And I’m close to finishing Goodbye, Things by Fumio Sasaki.

S.Y.

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
You made me get Storyworthy from Audible and I’ve been enjoying it so far. As a young man I wanted to be a writer but I struggled to find a story I wanted to tell. As a grown up I’m realizing how much of what we do every day depends on providing a narrative sequence that resonates with our audience.

Glad to hear that.

Stories are everywhere. And they are powerful.

His homework for life has been a game changer for me. I have many moment I was able to see. And I wouldn't have paid attention to them before that. That alone is invaluable.

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness - Kindle edition by Jorgenson, Eric, Butcher, Jack, Ferriss, Tim. Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness

By far the best book I've read this year so far. So much knowledge on wealth, happiness and philosophy. And so much more to dig into after reading the book (a LOT of great resources in the bonus section).

Highly, highly recommended. I feel very introspective now.

JamesQB8

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 20, 2019
The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness - Kindle edition by Jorgenson, Eric, Butcher, Jack, Ferriss, Tim. Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

By far the best book I've read this year so far. So much knowledge on wealth, happiness and philosophy. And so much more to dig into after reading the book (a LOT of great resources in the bonus section).

+1 for Anything by Naval. I love his twitter feed and any podcast he's in.

I added this to my reading list, downloaded it to my kindle and made a note to start reading it tomorrow earlier today. Now I will start reading it after I hit post on this reply :)

WhoDatBoy

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 17, 2020
The Netherlands
Never Split the Difference: Negotiating as if Your Life Depended on It
By Chris Voss

So far it's quite interesting. I actually started reading it because it got quite a high score on goodreads, it interested me but a friend of mine told me he did not like it so I had to find out for myself.

For anyone reading this: please read Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins. That shit changes you.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Just finished reading "Overdeliver".

I've never heard of Brian Kurtz before but reading from someone who was responsible for sending more than 2 billion (!!!) pieces of profitable physical mail is something every entrepreneur could learn from.

The book comes with some amazing bonuses from some of the best direct response marketers of all time.

(Jay Abraham | Gary Bencivenga | Dick Benson | Eric Betuel | Fred Catona | David Deutsch | Gordon Grossman | Arthur Johnson |Dan Kennedy | Parris Lampropoulos | Perry Marshall | Ken McCarthy | Greg Renker | Eugene Schwartz | Joe Sugarman ...and many more!)

zackj117

Contributor
Aug 24, 2020
San Diego
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong​
This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.​
The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.​
Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.​
Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .​
Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,​
By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman
Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant​
Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager​
Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.​
What are you reading?
Im currently reading The hands off investor by Brian Burke. Its a good book if you already have cash that you need to invest and get a safe but high return

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Dec 9, 2014

I was looking up who this guy was and ended up on his/a website that offers this book for free.

If you know how to use a .mobi file with Amazon, you can send it to your Kindle app or device. Otherwise, the book can be read online or downloaded as a PDF as well.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I am reading Life 3.0, a book about the challenges and dangers of AI. And starting too Damn Right, which is about Charlie Munger and Berkshire Hathaway.

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
I was looking up who this guy was and ended up on his/a website that offers this book for free.

If you know how to use a .mobi file with Amazon, you can send it to your Kindle app or device. Otherwise, the book can be read online or downloaded as a PDF as well.

I know. But it cost $0.99 when I bought it and I prefer to have a Kindle book synced with my account. Sending a .mobi is a possibility but it's not the same as a nicely-synced Kindle book. Also, wanted to support the author.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Dec 9, 2014
I know. But it cost $0.99 when I bought it and I prefer to have a Kindle book synced with my account. Sending a .mobi is a possibility but it's not the same as a nicely-synced Kindle book. Also, wanted to support the author.

No problem. I just wanted to leave the resource here for others since I randomly came across it. I use the .mobi files a lot to send to my Kindle apps when I want to read a book that I don’t necessarily care to purchase knowing I probably won’t stick with it.

JamesQB8

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 20, 2019
+1 for Anything by Naval. I love his twitter feed and any podcast he's in.

I added this to my reading list, downloaded it to my kindle and made a note to start reading it tomorrow earlier today. Now I will start reading it after I hit post on this reply :)

Finished it in two days... 5*/5*

If anyone wants to become friends on Goodreads:

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Finished it in two days... 5*/5*

If anyone wants to become friends on Goodreads:

I finished it yesterday one sitting.

Although there was almost nothing new for me it was super fun reading from something who thinks exactly like me.

I love to read from people who can express my way of thinking so much better than I can do it myself. :happy:

That being said: I'm really looking forward to reading some of his recommended books.

Recommendation from books I like this is my favorite way to find new books that are worth reading.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Poor Charlie's Almanack is a limited edition, hard-cover, coffee-table volume approximately 548 pages in length (3rd Edition) filled with hundreds of color illustrations and photographs.

The most expensive book I've ever read but also one of the best.

A lot of the advice from Charlie can be applied to choosing the right business yourself.

Definitely worth reading!

5*/5*

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I am finishing "The compound effect", a book that I like it very much because the author talks about how you have to work every day to create a compound effect that finally achieve what we want.

Untio

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 15, 2020
Spain
Currently reading "As a man thinket" from James Allen
If you are interested self knowledge/ self improvement this book is phenomenal.
This edition also includes "8 pillars of prosperity" + a little biography of the author. (Included the link in the photo, no afiliate)

S.Y.

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
What if what you have been told about hunter-gatherers is wrong?

What if the return on progress is negative?

This book is the Fastlane version applied to progress (tagging @MJ DeMarco for that). Very eye-opening.

sfarieri

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong​
This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.​
The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.​
Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.​
Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .​
Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,​
By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman
Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant​
Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager​
Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.​
What are you reading?
Currently reading Unscripted. Just joined the group. Hey @MJ DeMarco reading any books currently?

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Hi Fox, After reading your threat and watching some of your youtube I have several query ? 1...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
If you read the last message then you know I'm removing my courses from Udemy next month. You...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom