The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

ToonMike

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 8, 2013
Steven Covey---The 8th Habit

(suggest reading his book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People first)

I have the 7 Habits Book (borrowed it from my dad) but I just couldn't get into it. Can someone shed some light on it?

I love everything Seth Godin has written. Anything about social media and the internet revolution is an instant favorite of mine...

How about Pat Flynn's new book, Let Go? He's a cool social media blogger.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
Digital disruption by James Mcquivey, all about disrupting industries by switching from thinking about products and business ideas to focussing on customers problems and needs first. Read it in a day. Good book, and its cheap(on kindle)!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Your Brain At Work.

Besides being absolutely fascinating on the science and biology side of things, the dead-easy techniques it teaches have been working wonders for me recently.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
I have the 7 Habits Book (borrowed it from my dad) but I just couldn't get into it. Can someone shed some light on it?

Keep trying. The 7 habits of highly effective people are one of the few self-improvement books I think are really good for your development as a man.

image-thumb5.png
image-thumb6.png
I just googled this for you.

Very important stuff, i wish i read this book when I was 18.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
Last edited by a moderator:

jindo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 28, 2013
Valley Grande, AL
EDIT:
This is in response to ToonMike's question (the "reply with quote" didn't work for some reason...)

I love everything Seth Godin has written. Anything about social media and the internet revolution is an instant favorite of mine...

How about Pat Flynn's new book, Let Go? He's a cool social media blogger.

The 7 Habits (from Steven Covey's book):

1. Be Proactive
(instead of Reactive--anticipate and correct things before problems occur)
2.Begin with the end in mind
(know where you want to go---have a roadmap in mind)
3. Put first things first
(Prioritize---or, in the words of Brian Tracy--Eat That Frog! (another great book!))
4. Think Win/ Win
(It's not about competing...how can EVERYBODY benefit--win/win...not- I win/you lose)
5. Seek first to understand, then to be understood
(make sure you understand the other person and their needs before you try to get them to understand yours
6. Synergize
(Don't think in terms of either/or. There is ALWAYS a third (or fourth, or fifth) option. Work together (Mastermind, Synergize) with others to come up with other options to solving a problem)
7. Sharpen the saw
(constant Learning, Understanding, self-education, self-improvement-----which is also a BIG aspect of Tony Robbin's book Awaken the Giant Within, that I noticed many are reading

from The 8th Habit:
8. Find Your Voice. Help Others to Find Theirs.

Seth Godin's books are awesome---I recently finished his most recent, The Icarus Deception...for the third time

Pat Flynn's Let Go! is good, but it primarily just chronicles his experience with his situation---he was fired from his job as an architect and was forced to just Let Go and pursue a different path which, for him, has made all the difference! The most interesting thing about the book is the interactive platform where he includes videos within the context of the book...
His website is fantastic.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I am almost finished with SuperFreakonomics. Definitely entertaining, quick reading and thought provoking. I enjoy reading books that aren't so forwardly self-help such as this one. An analytic book like this sharpens the ability to evaluate certain situations using different metrics from those we're so accustomed to.

undecumani

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 23, 2013
currently reading:

Dancing naked in the mind field by nobel prize Kary Mullis

just finished:

Email from an a**hole by Lindsay - one of the funniest book i've ever read (dont judge by the cover...and the title)

Nausea by Sartre

do you recommend "the art of non conformity" ?

Not really, it's very much common sense and a bit boring (things like: start a blog, do what you love etc).

However, the second book he wrote (100$ startup) it's quite good: entertaining, simple and very motivating (be aware though, the book isn't about starting up with 100$), check it out!

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
(suggest reading his book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People first)

I second this - Covey's book is probably one of the most influential behavioral books ever written along with Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People"

both of these books are MUSTS for anyone seeking to start or expand a business

And they're worthy of reading again. And again. As a matter of fact, I think I'll read Covey's book again next.

jindo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 28, 2013
Valley Grande, AL
I second this - Covey's book is probably one of the most influential behavioral books ever written along with Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People"

both of these books are MUSTS for anyone seeking to start or expand a business

And they're worthy of reading again. And again. As a matter of fact, I think I'll read Covey's book again next.

Amazing how the good ones are worth reading over and over, isn't it!!
I also suggest Jeff Olson's book The Slight Edge

Rafal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 14, 2011
Warsaw, Poland

This book - along with Do The Work (both by Pressfield)
changed my life. For better :)

I'd say those two (The War of Art and Do The Work) are the most
important books I've read - and I'm reading a lot.

If there's A MUST read - this is it. Check both of them.
And - also - check Turning Pro.

Those book are like legal steroids.

Pressfield is a genius.

PS - no, I am not a writer or an artist. And you don't have
to be in order to use infinite wisdom of those books.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands

hellokitty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Mar 21, 2013
Have any of you read "Third Circle Theory" book?

I finished it reading it in 3 days because it was so easy to read and had great content about how to become a better entrepreneur/a better version of yourself.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Have any of you read "Third Circle Theory" book?

I finished it reading it in 3 days because it was so easy to read and had great content about how to become a better entrepreneur/a better version of yourself.

I'm too much of a square to read it.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Just finished Steve Jobs' biography. Found it very interesting for different reasons. It wasn't portrayed by the author but the impression I'm left with is that Steve was like the kid in grade school we all loved to hate. I would never want to be in the same room with him, but wow, Steve was the ultimate marketing genius.

Someone earlier mentioned Tipping Point - this happened to be an absolutely fantastic book! I recommend this book to anyone interested in the dynamics of our society. As a follow up to this book, I highly recommend Freakonomics and Superfreakonomics

Lastly, I recently wanted to ask someone whom I met (with a lot of notoriety - a well known wealthy guy) what book influenced him the most and this led to me wondering which book impacted me the most in my life and so I couldn't pick just one:

1. Rich Dad Poor Dad - influenced my life into setting up passive investments via businesses and real estate.

2. The Millionaire Next Door - definitely influenced my spending patterns and came to the realization I don't need to "play" the part of being successful but rather just live it the way I like it.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
I also finished the autobiography of Steve Jobs. Very inspiring and I think I learned more about business then I read in business books.
Now I am looking for my next autobiography to read. Probably Franklin. Not sure.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Check out Total Recall by Arnold Schwarzenegger - kick a$$ book and How to Get Rich by Felix Dennis.

Felix Dennis, I read it. Really cool book. I have his 'narrow road' on the toilet. Every time I take a shit, I read a chapter.

And damn, yes. Total recall is going to be the next book if I can find it!
I love arnold

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.