The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Chris_Willow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 8, 2012
EU
Just finished "The Practicing Mind" by Tom Sterner.

For me this book really cleared up the process-oriented mindset. (That could help those who tend to start a lot of things but never get really good at anything)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Reading Ca$hvertising. First chapter and so far, so good.

It's a good book, but one of those book I wonder what I just actually learned. If you already own a website, or are very busy with copywriting, it's a great book to read, probably. I, however, read it when I was not doing any advertising at all. That time could have been better spend.

Lately reading a lot of books about neuroscience. "Brain rules" is the latest. Pretty interesting and fun read.

Just my two cents.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
I'm on a 3-Book Diet this year! This is an interesting concept that I learned about this from Chris Brogan. Rather than read a ton of books and get just a little out of all of them. I am going to read, and re-read 3 books all year, master the concepts and apply them to my business.

That's interesting. For a year? That's hard to do! What if a book ain't good, can you switch? What about fictional books?
I might try this myself but change it in time blocks of 3 months. That would mean I have 4 blocks. 4 blocks, 12 (educational) books, and really study them. It would also mean I had to search for better books. Most books are either motivational or inspirational, but frankly, you can't really learn any hard skills from those books. I would have to look for educational books. Some wise man told me once: If you read a lot, you won't become that much smarter, you only become well-read. I kind of agree. / rant.

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
Just finished 3 books I was reading:

Ca$hvertising for the 3rd time
Rich Dad Poor Dad (I'll read this again soon)
Think And Grow Rich - I believe this had become my personal bible. I plan on reading this many times over in the years to come.

Just bought The Law of Success the predecessor to Think and Grow Rich. If its as good it'll become a staple in my library

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
It's a good book, but one of those book I wonder what I just actually learned. If you already own a website, or are very busy with copywriting, it's a great book to read, probably. I, however, read it when I was not doing any advertising at all
This is true with most books. If you don't apply it you will forget it.

That time could have been better spend.
Not so sure...

Now you know where to turn to when needing some copy.

It should also help you to write better emails, better resumes, better business proposals, etc etc etc

Wimtbimtb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Dec 14, 2008
South East Michigan
I think it's great...It talks about Value creation & delivery, the difference between marketing & sales, the human mind, creating prototypes, a lot of things. The author basically wants you to start with his book, and he directs you to like 19 other books that he insists that if you read all of them that you will have the knowledge of a MBA graduate. He doesn't have a MBA, but he did go to business school, and worked on major campaigns at Proctor & Gamble.

By chance did you check out his web site he has a list of 99 books on his list to read. I checked them all out at Amazon looks to be around $2200 for all of them. Which I have seen on this thread a lot of the same books. Was just wondering if you have looked into or bought any of the books he wrote about in his book ?

T.I.A

Wimtbimtb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Dec 14, 2008
South East Michigan
Successful Time Management for Dummies. Got a few good Ideas from it so far

The Money Code Become a Millionaire with the Ancient Jewish Code..Very quick read made me look at things in a new view and made me think more about spending more time in self study.

BIG OIL & THEIR BANKERS IN THE PERSIAN GULF...Yet another book that gives some eye opening views of World Events.

YOU CAN FARM THE ENTREPRENEUR'S GUIDE TO START AND $UCCEED IN A FARMING ENTERPRISE.... Pretty good over~all gave a lot of good views on what it takes. I know it is not looked upon as fastlane but Farming does fill a great need.

THE PERSONAL MBA..... Very good so far he has a web site with a list he made of 99 other books A lot of these books have been brought up in this thread before. Was looking for any feedback about that list he made? ? ? ? ?

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
Thick Face, Black Heart by Chin-Ning Chu is the greatest in your face motivational book. It dismisses the myths about the necessity of positive thinking to be successful. Yes you can be a negative SOB and still lead a very successful life. Everyone who is serious about changing their lives for real would love this book, one of the best if not the best book I have ever read.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Just finished reading Common Sense by Thomas Paine, and am currently reading The Second Treatise of Government by John Locke.

Next up is Bentham's Principles of Morals and Legislation and Getting Things Done (Allen).

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Blue ocean strategy. Love the principle hate that it is a Harvard business publication.

Probably all theory and no practice. We shall see.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Has anyone read The Few That Do? If so was it good? I was going to pick it up for Kindle today but noticed its not available on amazon for kindle currently. I know it was up there a couple weeks ago. Must have gotten taken down for some reason.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
Has anyone read The Few That Do? If so was it good? I was going to pick it up for Kindle today but noticed its not available on amazon for kindle currently. I know it was up there a couple weeks ago. Must have gotten taken down for some reason.
I LOVED IT!
Buy it!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Brand Against the Machine

Great book so far

Barry

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 27, 2011
Jamaica

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha - all about naturally increasing testosterone. I have a few small disagreements with the book, but think overall it's pretty fantastic. I am planning to start the workouts next month.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
still reading Blue Ocean Strategy.

difficult read for me.

milehinocmply

Zuckerberg Destroyer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 26, 2013
Baltimore, MD
still reading Blue Ocean Strategy.

difficult read for me.

Had a Strategic Management class in college based on this book. Mostly semantics and looking too in depth at competition in my opinion but curious to hear your thoughts when you finish reading it!

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Thick Face, Black Heart

I just started...Didn't really like chapter 1 the author said the phase "Thick Face, Black Heart in nearly every. single. sentence!

But it seems redemption is on the way...Chapter 2 is off to a good start!

FiveOone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 16, 2013
Australia
I just started...Didn't really like chapter 1 the author said the phase "Thick Face, Black Heart in nearly every. single. sentence!

Haha! Almost finished reading this after it was recommended by another member, Zen Focus on here. Stick with it, lots of pearls of wisdom in that one! Next up is Cashvertising.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
"Thick Face, Black Heart"... AMAZING BOOK..

Exactly what I needed to read. I'm on to chapter 5 and it's just stellar.

Before I read this book I went through a process that left me with a sense of disorientation and uncertainty. I used to be christian and during that time I felt I had a solid purpose and place in the universe. I did some serious questioning of my beliefs and eventually I broke through those paradigms. I am now atheist.

Although now, despite that the author believes in a god, she brings up many points that form a very, to me, accurate paradigm for reality. It forms this paradigm in such a way that I feel totally dedicated to my mission and willing to LIVE and work hard to fulfill it with conviction.

Needless to say, this book is priceless to me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.