The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

We provide excellent CUSTOMER disSERVICE!

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
CUSTOMER DISSERVICE: The act of feigning customer service for the sake of saying you have customer service. In execution, the "customer service" does not exist to solve problems or to be helpful, but to affront as a poor lead generator, hence not delivering helpful customer service, but delivering customer frustration and lost sales; customer disservice.

In this example, the lost sale was over $50,000 -- all because BELL LEXUS wanted to be cheap and outsource their service operations, probably overseas.

As the customer put it...

"And this is why I just can't buy any cars from dealerships... how do you outsource your dealership chat overseas? Isn't the lead worth well more than a few bucks?"

The customer also inquired about an NSX ... to which the operator had no clue.

Oh well, nowadays cash buyers are just raining from the sky.

17862833_10212066748479873_3388118853912717125_n.jpeg

Take note of the difference between ....

Customer service that SUCKS. (Above)

or

Customer service that SUCS. (Superior Unexpected Customer Service, exceeding expectations)

Special thanks to @biophase for the replay.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
Did 'Maryann' just learn the word "verify" or something?

WORD OF THE DAY IS: Verify

We should have a word of the day on this forum.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
She has a script. That's my guess.

A lot of chats like this have pre-scripted responses that they can just click on to insert into the chat. They CAN type freehand as needed and make minor edits to the script before sending but largely they are told to stick to the script whenever possible.

The theory goes that this ensures company-approved, grammatically correct responses along with the discretion required to answer questions that the scripts don't cover. Although for consistency, they still reply free-hand in the same "voice" as the scripts. If you look at the chat box you can clearly tell which are pre-loaded and which are freehand.

The reality is that this is bullshit and nobody likes it.

When I answered company chats as part of my sales duties I re-wrote all the scripts to sound like a human being in my own voice and only used them for very, very common questions I didn't want to re-write a million times. Otherwise it was all freehand. It takes longer but converts a hell of a lot better and people don't get pissed off at you.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
CUSTOMER DISSERVICE: The act of feigning customer service for the sake of saying you have customer service. In execution, the "customer service" does not exist to solve problems or to be helpful, but to affront as a poor lead generator, hence not delivering helpful customer service, but delivering customer frustration and lost sales; customer disservice.

In this example, the lost sale was over $50,000 -- all because BELL LEXUS wanted to be cheap and outsource their service operations, probably overseas.

"And this is why I just can't buy any cars from dealerships... how do you outsource your dealership chat overseas? Isn't the lead worth well more than a few bucks?"

View attachment 14581

or

Customer service that SUCS. (Superior Unexpected Customer Service, exceeding expectations)

Whoa. It's like watching a train wreck...

Businesses exist to get new business and then convert them into long term customers.

There's a lot of effort involved in generating bona-fide enquiries. I don't understand why they'd not jump all over one when it comes in. What's going through their heads?

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Since I read Jeffrey Gitomer, I'm allergic to everything what does not provide premium service (Was on a B&B lately which was all fine, except breakfast. They asked me if they needed to go to the bakery to get more. The poor unpremium guy didn't understood I rated him lower for this, lol.).

It's insane that even big companies don't understand this, BUT a huge opportunity for fastlaners!

CycleGuy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jan 16, 2015
Midwest
Great example of why in-house service is so important.

I manage a social media page for another business. I am not an expert in that business by any means. However I have nearly all the answers to customers' most common questions about the product. I made sure if I'm highlighting a specific product I have a "cheat sheet" of all the details of that product. It allows me to double check myself prior to answering. I also have a direct relationship with the owner and manager where I can get a text answer almost instantly if the question is above my head.

Lots of businesses underestimate the ability of customers to "sense" they are dealing with outside service. Customers can instantly pick up on near robotic like service from these foreign help centers. When making large, personalized buys this can be an instant turn off like the OP.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
However I have nearly all the answers to customers' most common questions about the product.

And you know what a lot of companies forget? It's okay to not have all the answers right away!

After 10 years in sales in both B2C and B2B I've almost never lost a customer to "I don't know, let me get back to you within (timeframe) on that".

Is it as good as having the answer right away? No.
Is it better than bullshit and/or guessing? Every damn time.

If you are 90% sure, that is not a "yes".
Say "I'm 90% sure, but let me check this for you just to be sure, where can I call you back?"

This stuff is so simple yet almost every major company drops the ball on it.

If you think you are so big that you need to reduce your customer service expense it almost certainly means you need to increase it instead.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This reminds me...

...anytime I hear "Thank you for your call, your business is important to us" I think it's exactly the opposite, and am often treated as such.

If my business was important, I wouldn't have been subjected to elevator music for the last freaking 15 minutes... (sorry, stole that from my book)

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Wtf? Lmao. Just say "Not sure, let me call in and check" to the showroom question. Then say "Not in today, will be in Thursday" or say "It's in, wanna come see it?" This has to be a chatbot, and a poorly programmed one at that.

Dylan_91

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 28, 2017
Florida

View attachment 14581

or

Holy crap I'm not the only one who goes crazy over live chat customer service. Recently I've been wondering if any businesses provide customer service anymore, if the customer is always right (not to them), with repeated BS like this from various companies. It comes as such a surprise.. especially since this was a Lexus dealership.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
This is the exact reason I operate my own live chat. People ask questions they get the answers within seconds... the only issue is being in Arizona I miss the early morning east coast questions cause I'm sleeping lol.

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA

View attachment 14581

or

My friend would have nailed that sale. He personally answers all live chat inquiries himself. We put wifi throughout the parking lot of the dealership he works at so he could do the following:

Customer: Do you have X car in stock?
Friend: Yes let me personally walk over to it to make sure it's still there and answer any questions you have.
Customer: Cool can you send me some pictures?
Friend: Better yet, click that video icon and I can show you it right now

He then undocks his Microsoft Surface, walks out to the lot while on the video chat, and gives them a personal walk-around of the car. It's no mystery why he's winning.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
How have they not placed such emphasis on their Customer Service already? I'm not loyal to Apple because of they have superior products (they don't) -- I use Apple because of their Customer Service. If I have a problem, I can arrange an appointment to get it fixed within the day. You gain customers for life by supplying awesome Customer Service -- you lose customers for life by doing the opposite.

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
How have they not placed such emphasis on their Customer Service already? I'm not loyal to Apple because of they have superior products (they don't) -- I use Apple because of their Customer Service. If I have a problem, I can arrange an appointment to get it fixed within the day. You gain customers for life by supplying awesome Customer Service -- you lose customers for life by doing the opposite.

What sucks is they will probably never know they lost that sale

EDIT: they probably receive the chat transcripts. So nevermind. Hopefully they pivot so they don't miss the next one :)

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
What sucks is they will probably never know they lost that sale

EDIT: they probably receive the chat transcripts. So nevermind. Hopefully they pivot so they don't miss the next one :)

It's outsourced -- I hate to tell you, but this is generally how it always is, my ISP, my phone service provider -- they all outsource to India. The Same formula to Customer Service. I've had to go to the ombudsman several times and you know what -- things actually get done because they put me on to someone local who cares.

Last edited:

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
It's so valuable after reading TMF and being on these forums to change my thought process from "this customer service is awful and so frustrating" to "this customer service is awful, this is an opportunity. how can it be improved?"

Really makes you wonder how many potential sales they've missed out on because of this awful feature. I bet the owner is chasing after lowering expenses and is frustrated at the cost of the outsourced "live chat" instead of wondering why revenue isn't increasing.

Drew D

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Feb 16, 2017
Canada, ON
Here you go
6inCyPg.jpg
6inCyPg.jpg

(stolen from reddit)

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I love how companies hardly can't get away with disservice these days, even some try hard.

In the company I work, they have horrible software. It's outdated, slow, user unfriendly and they don't give a shit about feedback or requests. Even after working with this junk for 5 years. People are leaving the company, just because of this Stone Age software.

One day I got so frustrated, that I searched the company on Google and wrote them a bad review (it was the only review so far).

A few weeks later, my boss got an angry email from another IT boss in our group (he couldn't email or call me directly because hierarchy) to request that I delete that review immediately and that he has to punish me for that reason.

Anyhow, review deleted to avoid further drama.

Yesterday, WE got a bad review from an unhappy customer.

Welcome to the Age of Internet, suckers.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Wow...so many epic fails. Here's my take on it:

1) customer service isn't a department.

2) poor customer service will cost you. United Airlines lost $1bn market value yesterday. Just sayin'.

3) everything you do should be centered around the customer. I'm not saying they're always right but happy customers = $$$$. Lose the battle. Win the war.

4) take every opportunity to speak to prospects and turn them into customers. I check our email mailbox every week and I also handle live chats personally. I've learnt so much and it's translating into sales or opportunities to sell in the future too.

5) never outsource 'front office'. That's the face of your business. I hate talking to non-native language speaking customer service because it tells me you don't care about earning my business.

I agree with you @MJ. Why nickel and dime when your product costs $40,000+? It's ridiculous when you can hire local people. Heck, there's broke a$$ college students on Craigslist to tap up!

SMH.

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
...anytime I hear "Thank you for your call, your business is important to us" I think it's exactly the opposite, and am often treated as such.
Any customer sees right theough this statement. It's nearly identical to 'Your money is important to us.' Keep the focus on the customer, not your business's needs. Even a generic 'We are experiencing unusually heavy call volume, your estimated wait time is X minutes.' Would be better than that.

Sheesh, Dale Carnegie must be frowning from beyond.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Speechless. I don't know why CSRs are considered the bottom of the totem pole in an organization and seem to have high turnover with a ton of available jobs. Imagine if an organization paid native speakers-in-country to think outside the chat box? How much more business might they do if they allowed them some initiative and paid them for it? Like someone said above, definitely not the place to nickel and dime with your organization.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In the company I work, they have horrible software. It's outdated, slow, user unfriendly and they don't give a shit about feedback or requests. Even after working with this junk for 5 years. People are leaving the company, just because of this Stone Age software.

Wow, how are they surviving? Barriers to entry so high they can skirt?

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Wow, how are they surviving? Barriers to entry so high they can skirt?

Barriers are pretty high (exceptional transport), but they are bleeding every day: changing strategies every two months, appointing more new managers who take zero responsibility, annexing other companies, choking all initiative,... All fed by megalomania and short term vision.

Meanwhile this bureaucratic mess encounters massive liquidity problems, but hey, at least they are the number one in their country!

The software company: I have no clue. It's a French company and French companies prefer products from their own country, even if it sucks. Sometimes I think we're the only client, hence the stress about the review.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.