The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vegan / Vegetarians Only (Chat about lifestyle, opportunities, food, whatever...)

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
And what do you do for fitness @MJ DeMarco? How was it affected by your decision to go vegan?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
On the note of very successful vegan athletes. Novak Djokovic just won 3 of the 4 most important tennis tournaments in the world in 2021. He has been vegan since 2017 and says changing his diet has really helped him.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And what do you do for fitness @MJ DeMarco? How was it affected by your decision to go vegan?

Going vegan hasn't affected my fitness. Missing gym workouts has.

I usually go to the gym 3-4 times a week, but I'm in the middle of a move right now, and before that I was working to get a book deadline out. Before that, it was Covid BS. So any fitness issues I have (I could stand to lose about 7lbs is due to workout neglect) is due to lack of gym time.

On the note of very successful vegan athletes. Novak Djokovic just won 3 of the 4 most important tennis tournaments in the world in 2021. He has been vegan since 2017 and says changing his diet has really helped him.

Tom Brady, Chris Paul, and many others keep their "veganism" on the "down low". I think it helps older athletes stay in the game longer.

SaharaSnow

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Oct 20, 2020
South Africa
I've been vegetarian for the larger part of my life (20 years now), simply because I don't enjoy the idea of chewing on my friends.

I take a Vitamin B12 supplement and for exercise I do a 4 km nature hike per day - that's it. I don't get sick, I don't get depressed, I don't feel lethargic. I abstain from caffeine, alcohol and negative humans. I remain at optimal weight and the digestive system works.

I've noticed many newbie vegetarians / vegans tend to go for ready-made meals, preserved foods like tinned beans / pulses or carb-loaded fast food junk. Personally, I find recipes boring and prescriptive. Just raid your kitchen, slap what you can find together ... and see what transpires. You will be surprised. It is like art.

Toddo

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 16, 2021
Big Island, Hawaii
After going vegan for a few years my fitness was unaffected, Ive noticed my physical recovery times have shortened and stamina increased

Getting a vitamix was a gamechanger for nutrition. You can blend unsoaked nuts no problem in smoothies as well as seeds. Always have some homemade cashew dip variant in my fridge and its delicious. My wife has some killer recipes for icecream, smoothies, and cheeses that I so badly want to bring to the market.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Getting a vitamix was a gamechanger for nutrition.
^ THIS ^
My wife also has many recipes she's come up with. I keep telling her to write them down and put together a cookbook.

Something I realized a while back...Cleanup on this diet is super easy. No greasy oil messes anywhere, no clogged drains, and the dishes clean so much easier in the dishwasher.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
've noticed many newbie vegetarians / vegans tend to go for ready-made meals, preserved foods like tinned beans / pulses or carb-loaded fast food junk.

The market is sure making it easy to eat vegan junk. I gained some weight in my first few months. For many newbs, "vegan" means processed fake meats, fake this, fake that. All of that is still processed.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Alferez

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Nov 27, 2018
Hello veggies,

Today I had a moment of pain. Do you guys have problems finding ALREADY prepared vegan/vegetarian meals?

For example today I did not have anything prepared and I had like half hour to eat. And guess what, no available vegan alternative for eat in a supermarket. (In Spain, in other countries like France, there are options, but they taste awfull, serious, you feel like in Alcatraz eating that shit)

I'm really tired not having a decent meal to eat if I'm out for whatever reason. I don't like food companies, but who cares, if there is a need, I'm going to fill it.

What are your thoughts, would you like a healthy (as much as possible, not all that junk food) already prepared for those days you forget to cook, you are lazy, whatever?

I would be happy to hear your experiences eating outside.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Going vegan hasn't affected my fitness. Missing gym workouts has.

I usually go to the gym 3-4 times a week, but I'm in the middle of a move right now, and before that I was working to get a book deadline out. Before that, it was C0VlD BS. So any fitness issues I have (I could stand to lose about 7lbs is due to workout neglect) is due to lack of gym time.

Tom Brady, Chris Paul, and many others keep their "veganism" on the "down low". I think it helps older athletes stay in the game longer.
I do not eat vegan, but Tom Brady’s success and longevity has to speak to something.

Could it be superior genetics? Maybe. However he is not genetically gifted from an athletics perspective whatsoever. His success was born from unrelenting discipline and a desire to win.

Which leads me to believe his diet has played a significant role in his longevity.

I should probably get on the bandwagon :clench:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
It's been over a year since I turned vegan. I recently did blood tests to compare them to the ones I did last year. They were all pretty much the same or very similar, with no issues.

What I do have issues with, though, are digestive problems. Never before in my life have I had such frequent and terrible issues. Before, it was extremely rare for me to feel stomach pain or suffer from diarrhea. Now, it happens at least once a month, with stomach pain several times a month or even more often. It doesn't seem to be related to fiber alone as I have issues both on lower-fiber days as well as days with higher fiber.

As for other changes, I don't feel more energy, I actually gained weight, and I don't see any differences in my skin, recovery, or anything else. Actually, I'd say I get injured more often. But I train different stuff so maybe it's unrelated.

I don't want to give up veganism because I'm doing it for ethical reasons but I definitely wouldn't say it's a perfect diet, at least in my case.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
As for other changes, I don't feel more energy, I actually gained weight, and I don't see any differences in my skin, recovery, or anything else. Actually, I'd say I get injured more often. But I train different stuff so maybe it's unrelated
When I went veggie decades ago, I thought my skin would glow, I'd look younger, the epitome of health.

Nothing changed.

The only time that happened was when I fasted for six weeks.
Yep, six weeks.
Only pure maple syrup, water and chili powder.

On another note.

Are potatoes truly vegan?

After all, they do have eyes...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It's been over a year since I turned vegan. I recently did blood tests to compare them to the ones I did last year. They were all pretty much the same or very similar, with no issues.

What I do have issues with, though, are digestive problems. Never before in my life have I had such frequent and terrible issues. Before, it was extremely rare for me to feel stomach pain or suffer from diarrhea. Now, it happens at least once a month, with stomach pain several times a month or even more often. It doesn't seem to be related to fiber alone as I have issues both on lower-fiber days as well as days with higher fiber.

As for other changes, I don't feel more energy, I actually gained weight, and I don't see any differences in my skin, recovery, or anything else. Actually, I'd say I get injured more often. But I train different stuff so maybe it's unrelated.

I don't want to give up veganism because I'm doing it for ethical reasons but I definitely wouldn't say it's a perfect diet, at least in my case.
Has it affected your mood at all @MTF?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I do not eat vegan, but Tom Brady’s success and longevity has to speak to something.

There are a lot of older athletes that are vegan that keep it on the "down low" knowing its a caustic subject. Chris Paul (NBA) is another. Tom Brady also has some weird dietary stuff too, like no tomatoes. I eat a ton of tomatoes.

Might be related, might not be.

I was going to suggest in your publishing thread to check your vegan diet and see what might be potentially missing, from B12 to Vitamin D defiency. If you ask me, that's what it sounds like which majorly contributes to seasonal depression, or in your case, location depression.

Also, may I ask how old you are? The body goes through significant changes in the late 30s ... that's when you start to notice poorer recoveries, poorer energy, everything seems to go downhill fast... the question is, how fast?

This is also why most pro athletes can't stay pro once they hit their mid/late 30s.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I was going to suggest in your publishing thread to check your vegan diet and see what might be potentially missing, from B12 to Vitamin D defiency. If you ask me, that's what it sounds like which majorly contributes to seasonal depression, or in your case, location depression.

I checked both. B12 was fine - range between 180-914, mine was 311 (302 last year). D was also fine - range between 30-100, I had 80.90 this year (whopping 174 last year after 5 months of living in the tropics).

Also, may I ask how old you are? The body goes through significant changes in the late 30s ... that's when you start to notice poorer recoveries, poorer energy, everything seems to go downhill fast... the question is, how fast?

I'm 31, soon to hit 32...

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
There are a lot of older athletes that are vegan that keep it on the "down low" knowing its a caustic subject. Chris Paul (NBA) is another. Tom Brady also has some weird dietary stuff too, like no tomatoes. I eat a ton of tomatoes.

Rookie QB Justin Fields (CHI) has been vegan for years.

Another vegan athlete which may surprise you:

lab_rat

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 29, 2020
Scandinavia
Hi folks

I am looking for a tool/service to help me navigate vegan products in super markets on the fly. Like https://www.happycow.net/ solves the need when it comes to restaurants and take away, I am looking for something to help me navigate the jungle both locally and while abroad.

Instead of taking the tedious approach looking for Vegan logos and inspecting the product label for ingredients, I would really appreciate a more intuitive way to go about it. There are tons of preprocessed foods that are vegan, but your intuition tells you that the product contain dairy, e.g, cookies, crisps and frozen foods.

I have tested Open Food Facts - World but don’t find it intuitive to use. I imagine an app that based on a geo location or a specific supermarket can list al vegan friendly product, despite its labels and branding.

Can’t wait to hear from You!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hi folks

I am looking for a tool/service to help me navigate vegan products in super markets on the fly. Like https://www.happycow.net/ solves the need when it comes to restaurants and take away, I am looking for something to help me navigate the jungle both locally and while abroad.

Instead of taking the tedious approach looking for Vegan logos and inspecting the product label for ingredients, I would really appreciate a more intuitive way to go about it. There are tons of preprocessed foods that are vegan, but your intuition tells you that the product contain dairy, e.g, cookies, crisps and frozen foods.

I have tested Open Food Facts - World but don’t find it intuitive to use. I imagine an app that based on a geo location or a specific supermarket can list al vegan friendly product, despite its labels and branding.

Can’t wait to hear from You!

Love the idea, would have used it today.

SaharaSnow

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Oct 20, 2020
South Africa
You may require beneficial gut bacteria. Probiotics.

Ingesting some good old dirt from mother earth is helpful ... picking your fruit & vegetables and eating them on the spot. As long as they were not treated with pesticides and other chemicals.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
After finding the book The China Study and starting to read it a few days ago.. my mind is in disbelief. Never ever would I think that I'd be looking to become vegetarian or vegan.

What sources converted you guys? I'm just starting down the rabbit hole and going to have to switch up the grocery list here soon.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
What sources converted you guys? I'm just starting down the rabbit hole and going to have to switch up the grocery list here soon.

My cousin and my health were my gateway. My doctor told me I needed to decrease the edema in my legs and I was struggling to exercise. My numbers were also getting bad. I was pre-diabetic and my blood pressure was way up.

I had noticed my cousin was running a whole food plant based FB group at that time. She had lost a lot of weight. She in turn had done it because her sister, my other cousin, by 49 had already had multiple stents despite being the type who is thin and working out all the time and her father had multiple bypasses and roto-rootering of his arteries. Her issue is genetic, but it can be fought very successfully by diet. Between my issues and their new-found health, I knew I had to change.

I called my cousin after coming back from my doctor's office and she told me to go watch Forks Over Knives.

I went cold turkey on meat and dairy that day. Plant based. No additional sugar or oil with minimal salt.

After I changed my diet, I had two successive doctor appointments that showed I was doing the right thing. Onthe first one, he was concerned that I was losing weight and wanted to know if it was deliberate since I was changing so much. I said I had essentially gone vegan and he said just make sure you get protein. On the second visit, he had forgotten about the vegan thing and it was time to get a blood panel, my numbers slotted in right where they needed to be. When my doctor saw my weight changes and my panels, he said I don't know what you're doing, but keep doing it. He was shocked how much I had changed. I just told him that I had changed up my diet after he told me I needed to change a couple appointments before. He said most people don't actually make changes in their diet when he tells them to. I didn't talk about veg with him on that visit because he was obviously a meat guy based on the previous conversation, but he was very impressed.

Incidentally I had gone the keto route maybe 20 years ago or so because a friend talked it up. That was a shit show for me. When I went Keto is when I first started having PVC's. My heart was screwing up.

One thing you should learn is the difference between whole food plant based, vegan, and vegetarian.

To me and many, whole food plant based is far superior to just vegan or vegetarian because vegan still allows for eating a lot of shit food, pre-packaged meals with sugar, oil, salt, whatever. You can still eat crap and think you're doing something good for yourself when you aren't necessarily making the change you think. You may still be creating a time bomb. That's just not as easy with whole food plant based. (Watch out for magazines. There is one that is whole food plant based in our local store that still has eggs in it.)

Besides the China study, check out the books How not to Die and How not to Diet by Dr. Greger. Dr. Esselstyn has great info regarding heart disease. If Forks Over Knives is still available on Netflix, you'll see Esselstyn and one of his heart patients. Greger has a lot of videos on youtube as nutritionfacts.org.

You can change your weight up and down based on what you eat and how much you eat. Generally, if you gain weight on a veg diet, you're eating oil or too many nuts or something with a lot of calories compared to its volume. Realize that it's up to your food choices and not the fault of a veg diet.

Life changing info here -> Here are two videos that will allow you to lose weight at will if needed whether you are vegetarian or not. Understanding this will change your life if you have weight issues. You will likely be able to make course corrections very easily once you internalize this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=002pzXT9TT4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdwWliv7Hg&t=4s

There are a ton of hidden calories in oil. Learn to cook with water instead of fat. I dropped 2.5 pounds per week just switching my diet and not using oil in food prep or in salad dressing. After 6 weeks, I had lost enough gut weight so I could breathe well enough to begin exercising again. Gut fat can make it hard to breathe. The first 16 pounds or so was solely from diet change and following what is in those two videos.

People will ask you where you get your protein. People have been sold by industry that they need eggs or meat to get protein. It's the Script except for food. Chickens, pigs, cows, horses, gorillas, rhinos, hippos, and elephants all get their protein from the plants they consume without eating steaks, chicken, and eggs. Same here. If you need more protein, eat more of plants with higher protein content like broccoli or spinach. It's just not that hard. Use google to find high protein vegetables.

When my mom was dying with kidney disease, I finally realized how much excess protein, meds like ibuprofen, too much water, and dark soft drinks destroy your kidneys.

We have this chart on the fridge to give as a guideline for daily consumption. There are other Greger daily dozen charts and an app you can use as well. I don't use it religiously, but as a quick reference to make sure I'm on track:

It might be useful for you, but make sure you read.

Don't forget to supplement B12 and D. Unless you're eating dirt which you don't want to do because of things like botulism, e-coli, lysteria or other things you hear about on the news, you need B12 supplementation. D naturally comes in sunlight but most people don't have enough. It's supplemented in milk because you need D to absorb calcium. You can do that yourself with light or D supplements or both along with greens for calcium. No milk needed. Again, where did the cow get the calcium?

I did go off this way of eating when my mom died, people brought meat and I found I just didn't give a shit about me or anything else anymore. I also went back to whatever convenience was around with predictable health effects. Weight gain, poor health, depression.

I'm in a much better place mentally. Now I'm back to it.

One more tip. Design your life so it's easy to stick to it. I make overnight oats a day or two in advance so I can just pull them out of the fridge in the morning and eat. No thinking about eggs or bacon or cereal or other crap food. Don't bring crap food in the house.

With all this said about my experience and the sources I rely on, I'm not a doctor, you should probably do real research and use actual health professionals. Your mileage will vary. Past performance doesn't guarantee future results. But have fun in the new life.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
Here's a caloric density chart and a link to the article to go along with my previous post.

Here's the chart to print out:

Here's the article:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
After finding the book The China Study and starting to read it a few days ago.. my mind is in disbelief. Never ever would I think that I'd be looking to become vegetarian or vegan.

I can't post my sources out of respect for the forum and saving people from triggering, tiresome debates that are as effective as turning a Christian into a atheist.

However my reasons to eat 100% plant-based is probably along these lines: 25% health, 5% environmental, 70% animal welfare...

With respect to animal welfare, I believe I have no right to kill a sentient being that doesn't want to be killed. Go down that rabbit hole and see how animal agriculture is done, right down to the slaughtering process.

Funny how people are all pissed off how beagles are horribly murdered for research, but pigs being horribly murdered for their bacon sandwich is OK -- both creatures have similar intelligence, fear and emotional responses, a nervous system to process all of it, and a willful desire and instinct to preserve their lives. The only difference between the beagle outrage and pig murder is their cultural bias, an outdated pre-industrial age paradigm, and an omnipotent viewpoint that what isn't theirs, is theirs to take simply because it tastes good for 12 seconds.

I figured I take the time not to kill spiders in the house, I can make the effort not to kill other living creatures who are far more intelligent.

I am aware of the China study but have not read it.

Just a word of caution, a vegan diet is great if it is done properly. Unfortunately a lot of people make vegan = "no meat" and just end up eating a lot of processed junk, process wheat and empty carbs, processed fake meats, and other crap that has marginal health benefits. Then they like to say, "The vegan diet didn't work for me!"

Duh, of course it didn't.

Oreos and orange juice for breakfast, and a Coke, Beyond Burger and fries for dinner might be vegan, but you're doing your body no favors.

The above describes my first few months attempting to go plant-based... I gained weight and saw/felt no visible health benefits. The next 4+ years have gone differently.

Dionysos

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 1, 2020
Netherlands

I was the same, big meat eater and dairy consumer thinking I needed the protein from it. After watching some of the documentaries like Cowspiracy, Forks over Knives etc. I had another thought about my food choices.

As of today I'm 99% plant-based. That transition was slow and gradual, just replacing each item at a time. For a short while I ate mock meats etc. As of today I only eat them once a week. Can't be perfect and I don't want to stress about it, after all it's super convenient.

I stumbled upon this video recently and this made a big impression on me. Might be good to show this to people who are thinking of cutting down animal product or transitioning into being plant-based.

SharpeningBlade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
May 26, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Yes there is absolutely zero reason for 99.9% of people to not go 95%-100% plant based!!

Been 99% vegan for about 15 years. Completely meat free for 10ish. Never had a vitamin b or iron deficiency. I do take supplements once in a while, but not religiously.

You only need about 0.34g protein per lb of body weight.

My best purchase this year was a juicer. I highly recommend everyone to invest in a juicer if you haven't. Twin gear masticating juicer only! Combine that with home cooking organic ingredients with no preservatives or fillers, and the quality of your nutrition will be world's above the majority.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Been trying a lot of Indian plant based recipes lately. Garbanzo/Chick Peas everywhere. What does your guy's day to day meals look like? Breakfast lunch and dinner?

Alferez

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Nov 27, 2018
Been trying a lot of Indian plant based recipes lately. Garbanzo/Chick Peas everywhere. What does your guy's day to day meals look like? Breakfast lunch and dinner?
For me what worked was to do very simple recipes, (by the way they are cheaper).

Not fancy ingredients, just simple, easy and nutritive. (yes it is possible).

One day may look like this:

Morning

- Cup of coffee, some banana after running. After that some toast with avocado. (I usually drink some green tea, but now with meals, it is not properly absorbed).

Lunch

- Lentils, Chick Peas, etc, mixed with veggies. Or some rice with veggies. (for example here in Spain we make a dish called Paella, which you can do it 100% vegan very easy.)

Afternoon snack

It usually it is some oatmeal with blueberries, banana, dark chocolate, some cookies maybe, cinnamon, and whatever you want to put in to it.

Dinner

Normally I try to eat less, (it is better for your health), so for example some thick soup, burritos, mushrooms with tofu, veggie hamburger, some days a veggie pizza.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA

This is what I typically eat.

Breakfast:
1. Oatmeal cooked on the stove with water and blueberries, bananas, or cherries and a bit of cinnamon. If you need sweeter still, you can add a little maple syrup or date sugar. But I try to keep sweetener low. Sometimes, I add toasted pecans. Pecans with blueberries, a bit of cinnamon, and maple syrup are incredible. I should try it with date sugar instead of maple syrup sometime. It's a healthier choice. Don't burn the pecans.
2. Overnight oats with plant milk, ground flax seed, and blueberries, banana, or cherry. If I have cherry or banana, then sometimes I also add cocoa nibs or powder to have a chocolate cherry or banana oatmeal. Again, you can use maple syrup if you haven't weened yourself off of sugar. You'll probably need the maple syrup if you make it with cocoa until you get used to a more bitter chocolate taste.
3. Muesli - Bob's Red Mill. Add some cherries or something to it. The classic way is with shredded apple. I've never had it that way though. I should try it. I just haven't.
4. Sometimes I have a low sugar cereal with plant milk like grape nuts or special k. I think it's best for me to stick with oats though.

Lunch:
1. I like to graze on fruit a lot. Bananas, oranges, grapes, apples, blueberries, watermelon, honey dew melon, canteloupe, kiwi, black berries, raspberries, gooseberries, or any other fruit around. I try to eat multiple colors every day.
2. Hummus with carrots or slices of some sort of a pepper to scoop up the hummus. Once in a while, I'll use a pita or something to scoop it, but you're better off with carrots or peppers especially if you are working on losing weight. My hummus is almost always homemade jalapeno hummus.
3. Leftovers from the previous night.
4. Bean burritos with some sort of salsa.
5. Smoothies made from bananas and whatever I want to put in them. I freeze a bunch of bananas after first removing their skins. After freezing them individually on a baking sheet with plastic wrap on top to keep the frost down, put them in a resealable bag. They won't stick together that way. I have two bananas, some plant milk, then add cocoa or cherries or both. Sometimes I add a few brazil nuts. I often add a couple leaves of kale. Sometimes I add blueberries.
6. Any left over vegetables.
7. Veg sandwiches. Not too often. Some restaurants have them. Something along the line of
Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Green Pepper, Artichoke Heart, Parmesan, Pesto, and Balsamic Vinegar Dressing.
Or a tomato sandwich with some basil, oregano, and pepper.

Dinner:
1. Dal dishes - This recipe is a staple for us: My Dal It's a great recipe. It needs a bit of salt to bring out the flavor. We eat it with rice and / or naan. When we do add salt to things, I like it to be fortified with iodine.
2. Anything else Indian especially. They are masters of having great tasting vegetarian dishes. The standard American way is to eat a single vegetable with butter and salt. In India, vegetable dishes often have a lot of other components to build taste. If it calls for ghee, we don't eat it that way.
3. Bean burgers. I like some of these, however, one of the best ways to succeed at being a whole food plant based veg for me is to not have equivalents to what we normally eat in the American diet. It's hard to find something that matches the recipe you've eaten all your life. So for me it can make it psychologically more difficult to eat veg if I find myself always looking for standard American meals. But if you're just trying all the exotic things and avoiding American diet items like burgers, steaks, meatloaf, etc, then you never have to be disappointed that veg meatloaf doesn't taste like the real thing. That being said, a good vegie burger with some homemade fries made without oil are very good.
4. Burrito bowls with salsa, beans, rice, jalapenos, diced onion, cilantro, avocados.
5. Budha bowls. My wife just puts something together, but here are some ideas: 25 Delicious Vegan Buddha Bowls!
6. Salads - I like to have spinach, lettuce, and toasted pecans with some orange or tangerine slices on it. I also squeeze some of the fruit slices over the salad for a light and quick dressing.
We also have some good gourmet balsamic vinegar shops around town. We get those too. A chocolate balsamic drizzled over a salad with some strawberry slices and toasted pecans is killer. No oil based salad dressings.
7. Sauteed Mushrooms with a little wine added and reduced to make a sauce and then poured over the top of a baked potato.
8. Portobello ravioli we get from an Italian market.
9. Vegetarian Chili
10. Grilled Asparagus or asparagus and tomato pasta
11. Sun dried tomato pasta or pasta with cherry tomatoes and mushrooms
12. Pizza without cheese. Just tomato sauce. It works out better than you would think. I have them made that way when I go out to some restaurants. I generally get jalapenos or banana peppers with green peppers and mushrooms. I don't worry about the crust being made of flour.
13. Also useful if you're traveling or out late is to get a bean burrito without cheese at Taco Hell. In any case, it's often the best thing available so it's a good compromise even though it probably has tons of oil in it.
14. Mashed potatoes and sauerkraut.
15. Stir fried vegetables.

For drinks, water, hibiscus tea or blueberry hibiscus tea from Republic of Tea, earl grey, irish tea or english breakfast tea from Twinings. I don't have more than two hibiscus teas in a day. I discovered my love for Hibiscus tea before I found out it was good for me: Hibiscus Tea: The Best Beverage? | NutritionFacts.org

You can look at facebook groups like: Whole Food Plant Based No Oil Recipes!
That facebook group has been known for being very strict for no sugar, oil, or salt. I haven't checked online lately though.
A lot of bloggers show up there. Could be good. Could be bad.

This guide can help you stay on track: Daily Dozen | NutritionFacts.org

This isn't medical advice from me or the forum, but be sure to research or consult a doctor about why you need supplementation.

I supplement for B12 since it isn't stored in the body efficiently (it's water soluble) and thus the amounts can go up and down a lot. When your body needs it, it better be there when needed. The effects of any shortage are cumulative over time with fatigue, depression, irreversible nerve damage and mental decline and many other issues:

Also iodine:
California rolls work here.

Also D3:
We do eat a lot of mushrooms too.

I try to avoid sugar so I don't eat the maple syrup mentioned above too often:

Again, it's up to you to research health impacts/benefits of anything I said.

Dionysos

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 1, 2020
Netherlands
This is what I typically eat.

Breakfast:
1. Oatmeal cooked on the stove with water and blueberries, bananas, or cherries and a bit of cinnamon. If you need sweeter still, you can add a little maple syrup or date sugar. But I try to keep sweetener low. Sometimes, I add toasted pecans. Pecans with blueberries, a bit of cinnamon, and maple syrup are incredible. I should try it with date sugar instead of maple syrup sometime. It's a healthier choice. Don't burn the pecans.
2. Overnight oats with plant milk, ground flax seed, and blueberries, banana, or cherry. If I have cherry or banana, then sometimes I also add cocoa nibs or powder to have a chocolate cherry or banana oatmeal. Again, you can use maple syrup if you haven't weened yourself off of sugar. You'll probably need the maple syrup if you make it with cocoa until you get used to a more bitter chocolate taste.
3. Muesli - Bob's Red Mill. Add some cherries or something to it. The classic way is with shredded apple. I've never had it that way though. I should try it. I just haven't.
4. Sometimes I have a low sugar cereal with plant milk like grape nuts or special k. I think it's best for me to stick with oats though.

Lunch:
1. I like to graze on fruit a lot. Bananas, oranges, grapes, apples, blueberries, watermelon, honey dew melon, canteloupe, kiwi, black berries, raspberries, gooseberries, or any other fruit around. I try to eat multiple colors every day.
2. Hummus with carrots or slices of some sort of a pepper to scoop up the hummus. Once in a while, I'll use a pita or something to scoop it, but you're better off with carrots or peppers especially if you are working on losing weight. My hummus is almost always homemade jalapeno hummus.
3. Leftovers from the previous night.
4. Bean burritos with some sort of salsa.
5. Smoothies made from bananas and whatever I want to put in them. I freeze a bunch of bananas after first removing their skins. After freezing them individually on a baking sheet with plastic wrap on top to keep the frost down, put them in a resealable bag. They won't stick together that way. I have two bananas, some plant milk, then add cocoa or cherries or both. Sometimes I add a few brazil nuts. I often add a couple leaves of kale. Sometimes I add blueberries.
6. Any left over vegetables.
7. Veg sandwiches. Not too often. Some restaurants have them. Something along the line of
Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Green Pepper, Artichoke Heart, Parmesan, Pesto, and Balsamic Vinegar Dressing.
Or a tomato sandwich with some basil, oregano, and pepper.

Dinner:
1. Dal dishes - This recipe is a staple for us: My Dal It's a great recipe. It needs a bit of salt to bring out the flavor. We eat it with rice and / or naan. When we do add salt to things, I like it to be fortified with iodine.
2. Anything else Indian especially. They are masters of having great tasting vegetarian dishes. The standard American way is to eat a single vegetable with butter and salt. In India, vegetable dishes often have a lot of other components to build taste. If it calls for ghee, we don't eat it that way.
3. Bean burgers. I like some of these, however, one of the best ways to succeed at being a whole food plant based veg for me is to not have equivalents to what we normally eat in the American diet. It's hard to find something that matches the recipe you've eaten all your life. So for me it can make it psychologically more difficult to eat veg if I find myself always looking for standard American meals. But if you're just trying all the exotic things and avoiding American diet items like burgers, steaks, meatloaf, etc, then you never have to be disappointed that veg meatloaf doesn't taste like the real thing. That being said, a good vegie burger with some homemade fries made without oil are very good.
4. Burrito bowls with salsa, beans, rice, jalapenos, diced onion, cilantro, avocados.
5. Budha bowls. My wife just puts something together, but here are some ideas: 25 Delicious Vegan Buddha Bowls!
6. Salads - I like to have spinach, lettuce, and toasted pecans with some orange or tangerine slices on it. I also squeeze some of the fruit slices over the salad for a light and quick dressing.
We also have some good gourmet balsamic vinegar shops around town. We get those too. A chocolate balsamic drizzled over a salad with some strawberry slices and toasted pecans is killer. No oil based salad dressings.
7. Sauteed Mushrooms with a little wine added and reduced to make a sauce and then poured over the top of a baked potato.
8. Portobello ravioli we get from an Italian market.
9. Vegetarian Chili
10. Grilled Asparagus or asparagus and tomato pasta
11. Sun dried tomato pasta or pasta with cherry tomatoes and mushrooms
12. Pizza without cheese. Just tomato sauce. It works out better than you would think. I have them made that way when I go out to some restaurants. I generally get jalapenos or banana peppers with green peppers and mushrooms. I don't worry about the crust being made of flour.
13. Also useful if you're traveling or out late is to get a bean burrito without cheese at Taco Hell. In any case, it's often the best thing available so it's a good compromise even though it probably has tons of oil in it.
14. Mashed potatoes and sauerkraut.
15. Stir fried vegetables.

For drinks, water, hibiscus tea or blueberry hibiscus tea from Republic of Tea, earl grey, irish tea or english breakfast tea from Twinings. I don't have more than two hibiscus teas in a day. I discovered my love for Hibiscus tea before I found out it was good for me: Hibiscus Tea: The Best Beverage? | NutritionFacts.org

You can look at facebook groups like: Whole Food Plant Based No Oil Recipes!
That facebook group has been known for being very strict for no sugar, oil, or salt. I haven't checked online lately though.
A lot of bloggers show up there. Could be good. Could be bad.

This guide can help you stay on track: Daily Dozen | NutritionFacts.org

This isn't medical advice from me or the forum, but be sure to research or consult a doctor about why you need supplementation.

I supplement for B12 since it isn't stored in the body efficiently (it's water soluble) and thus the amounts can go up and down a lot. When your body needs it, it better be there when needed. The effects of any shortage are cumulative over time with fatigue, depression, irreversible nerve damage and mental decline and many other issues:

Also iodine:
California rolls work here.

Also D3:
We do eat a lot of mushrooms too.

I try to avoid sugar so I don't eat the maple syrup mentioned above too often:

Again, it's up to you to research health impacts/benefits of anything I said.
You didn't hold back on this one haha. Nice!

For me I typically go for this:
Breakfast: Oatmeal with plant milk, chia & ground flaxseeds, a mashed banana, some blueberries and some cinnamon & salt.
Lunch: Mostly sandwiches with hummus and vegetables or some PB. Or I'd make a very simple hot meal with some rice/potatoes, some lentils/beans and some frozen veggies. (Nutritional yeast on top, also spices)
Dinner: Most of the times it's a quick curry or pasta. I tend to go for a lot of recipes from these guys called The Happy Pear (from Ireland I think), easy, quick recipes, you should check them out.
Snacks: A lot of fruit, a smoothie containing kale, protein powder, ginger etc. At night some yogurt and some nuts..

I take B12 & D3(most people in the world who don't live in very sunny places are deficit in these nowadays I've read). I personally don't take Iodine, in my country (Netherlands) all bread is fortified with it.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
You didn't hold back on this one haha. Nice!

For me I typically go for this:
Breakfast: Oatmeal with plant milk, chia & ground flaxseeds, a mashed banana, some blueberries and some cinnamon & salt.
Lunch: Mostly sandwiches with hummus and vegetables or some PB. Or I'd make a very simple hot meal with some rice/potatoes, some lentils/beans and some frozen veggies. (Nutritional yeast on top, also spices)
Dinner: Most of the times it's a quick curry or pasta. I tend to go for a lot of recipes from these guys called The Happy Pear (from Ireland I think), easy, quick recipes, you should check them out.
Snacks: A lot of fruit, a smoothie containing kale, protein powder, ginger etc. At night some yogurt and some nuts..

I take B12 & D3(most people in the world who don't live in very sunny places are deficit in these nowadays I've read). I personally don't take Iodine, in my country (Netherlands) all bread is fortified with it.

Sounds great.

A lot of people won't start down the vegetarian track because they say they don't know where to start.

The quick answer is stop eating animal products.

So I try to be somewhat of a completist when people ask about daily foods consumption. It can help the ones who find these posts so they have somewhere to start if they haven't.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.