The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Uber of cooking, scale issue

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Elliot Stenquist

New Contributor
Jan 28, 2018
Sweden
I'm thinking about starting a company similar to Uber but I have a scaling issue.

My idea is to build a platform where people cook and earn some cash and others buy the food from the producers.

I need some overall feedback on the idea and I'm wondering how I will get enough cookers to sustain the demand (if there will be any...). Perhaps I could start to cook myself in my local community and then try to get others to cook?

Thanks in advance.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I like the idea.

This concept exists in my country, but it's just a website, no platform. People who want food, just pay directly to the foodmaker.

In my country food inspection is very strict though, might be a dealbreaker.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Start doing it yourself. Cook for others, put yourself out there. Make the money and figure out the kinks.

Then when you make enough money pay for a developer on upwork/fiverr and work on the concept that it's to make your life easier. If it makes your life easier, it'll work for others too.

Make sure you pay good money for a UI/UX designer, that is critical for making or breaking an app.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 8, 2014
Are the cooks driving around waiting for someone to ping them, then they go to the person's house and cook there? Or are the chefs in a central location, and people just order cooked meals to be delivered? Or do the chefs cook from their own homes?

I think Munchery uses the central location method, you can try and find out how they solved the scale issue if that's the strategy you'll be using: How It Works

OP
OP
E

Elliot Stenquist

New Contributor
Jan 28, 2018
Sweden
Are the cooks driving around waiting for someone to ping them, then they go to the person's house and cook there? Or are the chefs in a central location, and people just order cooked meals to be delivered? Or do the chefs cook from their own homes?

I think Munchery uses the central location method, you can try and find out how they solved the scale issue if that's the strategy you'll be using: How It Works
Hi,

my plan is that people will cook and others and pick up the food from the people cooking, however, this would mean that you would have to go to someone else house to pick up the food, which kinda makes this idea worse than a restaurant.
But perhaps there can be drivers delivering the food to the customers.

What do you think?
Maybe this concept isn't much better than restaurants and isn't really worth pursuing since it doesn't greatly improve something, or how can I make it better?

Andy Black

Dad, husband, entrepreneur.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What about starting by getting the leads of people looking to buy a certain food?

Maybe then get the food delivered by a local restaurant?

And see where that goes?

@RayUK

New Contributor
Feb 11, 2018
United Kingdom
Hi,

my plan is that people will cook and others and pick up the food from the people cooking, however, this would mean that you would have to go to someone else house to pick up the food, which kinda makes this idea worse than a restaurant.
But perhaps there can be drivers delivering the food to the customers.

What do you think?
Maybe this concept isn't much better than restaurants and isn't really worth pursuing since it doesn't greatly improve something, or how can I make it better?
Perhaps partner with a food delivery service such as deliveroo.

Also might be useful to have a look into the business model of hungryhouse or justeat (both UK listed) as they provide a platform for customers to find restaurants and provide online ordering and delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave E RDN

Contributor
Feb 14, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
This is a cool idea! I've done cooking classes for people wanting to learn how to meal prep. A lot of people just want someone to do it for them.

How did uber get its first few cabs? Or Airbnb get its first few places?

I would totally meal prep for people to make a little extra cash.

OlivierMo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 12, 2018
Idaho
I'm thinking about starting a company similar to Uber but I have a scaling issue.

My idea is to build a platform where people cook and earn some cash and others buy the food from the producers.

I need some overall feedback on the idea and I'm wondering how I will get enough cookers to sustain the demand (if there will be any...). Perhaps I could start to cook myself in my local community and then try to get others to cook?

Thanks in advance.
I like it and I thought about it too myself b/c I'm a techie that loves cooking. If I had to do it I'd take a private chef angle for parties first.

Your Boy George

Contributor
Dec 2, 2017
Austin, Texas
I worked with a company who had private chefs come to people's home for cheap. Sorta similar but not really.

It's gonna be hard for "chefs" starting out because they'll have no reviews or anything. Other sites like Fiverr have that problem too but it's different b/c on fiverr if someone messes up you can charge them back but with your app, if the chef messes up, welcome to food poisoning.

Also, why is this better than ordering delivery from a restaurant? If you live in a city with a decent amount of people you can pretty much get any type of food you like delivered.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

theag

Most Aggressive Guy on the Internet on the Planet
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 19, 2012
In my country food inspection is very strict though, might be a dealbreaker.
Be careful to make sure you're not held responsible if there is a case of food poisoning.
The idea sounds nice in theory (not including the usual problems of getting both supply and demand with building a marketplace), but is probably a liability nightmare in reality..

Fpm9

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2017
Paris
The idea sounds nice in theory (not including the usual problems of getting both supply and demand with building a marketplace), but is probably a liability nightmare in reality..
True. Uber probably had the same problem back in the days.. what happens if your driver is drunk, crashes his car, and you end up with an injury?

csalvato

Platinum Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I’m in the space and working for a company about 6 years ahead of you. DM me if interested in talking shop

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
It's definitely possible, although it may not be feasible right away. I'm from the U.S. but have...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Amazing book! Actually I bought it, before I joined the forum and it motivated me to join...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock