The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Scaling and automating cleaning business, "Uber" of Cleaning

martinz1995

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jan 12, 2022
Hi all so I have a cleaning business and I'm planning to scale the client side with a Zapier automation which is basically:

Client visits website --> chooses their specifications on form e.g. 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom --> receive automated quote --> book and pay --> automated calendar finds a cleaner for the job --> cleaner does job --> client receives follow up link to rebook (if they want).

However on the staff side I wouldn't really know how to scale it. Usually I before I even officially hire a staff member I'd have to test them by getting to do 2-3 trial cleans (and I have to tell the clients too that this is a trainee so if they aren't happy I'll refund them)-->then if they pass I send them an official contract --> add them to rostering/accounting software--> then deliver equipment, uniform to them so they can begin working.

But I'm thinking that this all a bit complicated. What if I just create something like a Cleaning marketplace similar to Uber/UberEats? There are a few that already exist but I think this would mean it is much easier to scale. It would also make sense because cleaning staff are mostly international students and immigrants in my country so it is much easier to just match them to someone who can speak their language. Marketing is also fairly easy. The only issue is screening them properly e.g. checks, ID etc. but I think Uber/UberEats has something quite similar. I wouldn't have to buy equipment, uniforms etc. and would only have to market it well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
However on the staff side I wouldn't really know how to scale it. Usually I before I even officially hire a staff member I'd have to test them by getting to do 2-3 trial cleans (and I have to tell the clients too that this is a trainee so if they aren't happy I'll refund them)-->then if they pass I send them an official contract --> add them to rostering/accounting software--> then deliver equipment, uniform to them so they can begin working.
Are there entrepreneurs who have figured this out? Get in touch with them and ask them.

But I'm thinking that this all a bit complicated. What if I just create something like a Cleaning marketplace similar to Uber/UberEats?
As entrepreneurs, we are problem solvers. Something that is complicated means that it has a high barrier of entry which means that there is more opportunity for those who find a solution to the problem.

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
How is the cleaning market there in terms of market demand and supply? For a cleaning company is it easy to find clients?

If cleaning companies can find the clients easily because there aren't enough cleaners and the demand is stronger than the supply, then these cleaning companies won't pay you any commission. Because they can find the clients on their own without paying you commission.

In this case you are better off growing your own cleaning company.

Or if it is very hard to find a trusted cleaner, then you could launch a cleaner recruitment company: vet the cleaners then sell the leads (the vetted cleaners) to other cleaning companies.

Client visits website --> chooses their specifications on form e.g. 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom --> receive automated quote --> book and pay --> automated calendar finds a cleaner for the job --> cleaner does job --> client receives follow up link to rebook (if they want).

Another thing to consider: launch a productized cleaning service, so persuade your clients to buy a monthly subscription package. Let's say they have an office. They buy a package for $1,000 per month. So this would be a reoccuring revenue for you. Then you or your staff comes each month and clean their office.

NathanN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jul 27, 2022
Vancouver, B.C.
What if I just create something like a Cleaning marketplace similar to Uber/UberEats? There are a few that already exist but I think this would mean it is much easier to scale.
With the one that currently exist already, you can already see how they work and what they do, but you also need to ask what additional value can I add to a service like this that other people would use mine instead of a competitors?

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Tonnes of this stuff around. Here in Australia there are guys in India setting this kind of thing up and actually even posting them as jobs on job platforms but it's not that successful. People can smell it a mile away.
I actually don't like the idea for a number of reasons, one being the poor cleaner almost always gets stitched up with a poorly bid quote because the whole tick and flick thing on a website never compares to a proper walkthrough quote.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
So I was at a small conference for about 20 cleaning business owners today (actually they called it a retreat) and I met a lady that actually does this, but she still does the walkthrough to quote. She gives potential clients a shortlist of different cleaners she thinks would suit them and gives details on them like their sex, age, experience, hourly rate etc and lets them choose. All jobs are hourly as opposed to by the job (by job is the norm here for higher level domestic cleaners, usually a weekly ongoing clean). Surprisingly it was also a franchise.

Probably the weirdest set up I've heard of but she seems to make it work. Called herself the tinder of the cleaning industry matching people up lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.