The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To be successful - Do we REALLY need to be so Cynical with our views towards your average person?

Anything related to matters of the mind
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted88861

I'm genuinely asking this and looking for a bit of guidance as I obviously want to be self-reliant when it comes to money, hence why I'm here in the first place.

I recently decided to read TMFL again in audiobook format and I pose this question to you:
Why does this whole "slow lane" label have to be a thing and whats so bad about having a 9-5 job? I don't understand why it has to be so degrading and extreme - Is it to motivate us or something? It's used in such a generalised fashion and because a lot of this audience are in the younger category and easier to influence, these world views can risk our relationships with loved ones. I was deep in the space of fake gurus at a younger age and have to admit, I was a bit gutted when hearing M.J. say very similar things as to what they would all say when it came to how to view other "average" people or "slow laners".

Somebody posted in this exact forum about his relationship with his family breaking down due to his new mindset of "slow laners" etc, I mean surely there's a way to go about this without tearing up relationships with the ones we love? Obviously, if our loved ones are totally against our business desires then it's more understandable as to why disagreements might occur, but I'm talking about your every-day person and family member, do we really need to be so cynical with our mindsets in order to have success? I thought this was about trying to help others, not degrade them in our heads (or god help us out loud).

I'm sure M.J. won't mind me challenging this but why does he trash-talk the get-rich-easy space when he himself speaks in a very similar fashion towards 9-5 jobs and your average person, which is exactly what these fake gurus etc are doing also, he's done this just as much as them, I know they are doing other things that he isn't but still, when it comes to this area of discussion it's the same sh**.

I am struggling to understand how we are meant to want to help people and make money from this yet view the majority as "slow laners" and have such degrading views towards them, how does this make sense?

If someone could lend some food for thought that would be great because clearly I must be confusing something, I am in no way trying to start drama or fall out with anyone, I am genuinely asking for help to make sense of this. I'm a good dude, currently working on ways how to help others and make some cash but this has always been a conflicting thing for me and it keeps on coming up in my head.

Maybe we're just meant to view others as lower than us because we are cut from different cloth? Hmm.

Cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Reactions: SDE

rjdgreat

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 28, 2022
Maybe we're just meant to view others as lower than us because we are cut from different cloth? Hmm.
The slowlaners don't have any plan other than what is given to them by the society which is the "slowlane". Fastlane is not looking down about those slowlaners, it is a way of living. And remember that you have a choice whether you forsake your every-day person and family members because they are a headwind to you. Or, build with them because they support your dreams.

Last edited:
D

Deleted88861

Those slowlaners don't have any plan other than what is given to them by the society which is the "slowlane". Fastlane is not looking down about those slowlaners, it is a way of living. And remember that you have a choice whether you forsake your every-day person and family members because they are a headwind to you. Or, build with them because they support your dreams.
Lol, "those slowlaners"?

JayGoony

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 7, 2022
That's a way of looking at it I didn't yet consider.

I can only speak for myself. For me it's a way of self-reflection, a certain worldview the book establishes. That's very different from actively lashing out against people you consider slow laners. There's none of that in the book.

Why it spends so much time depicting this slow lane scenario is because it's the primary paradigm most people live in. It's difficult to shift one's own paradigm as is. Much harder to actually make other people change theirs! By reading.

And by doing that, describing this slow lane with all its flaws and pitfalls in such great detail MJ also illustrates what hell looks like.
For most of us here, that 9-5 grind, mutual fund investing, and frugal living until old age is the worst possible outcome.

It's the personified fear of unrealized potential.

It's something to avoid at all costs.

And that can be an even greater motivation than striving for something great.
(i.e. loss aversion)

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
514%
Jul 9, 2018
I've been on this forum for a while and have seen few people exhibit the attitude you talk about.

It's always someone young who reads the book, comes to forum thanking MJ for changing his mind and complain about his parents not seeing what he sees and being surrounded by 'slowlaners'. How quickly they forget the fact that they too were in the same place before reading the book!

I don't think MJ talked trash about people with 9-5. I've seen him and other fastlaners with successful business suggest young guys who come to forum with grandiose goals but no plan, no money, no skills and no direction, 'start' with a job. Almost all the forum users held a job at some point in their lives and many still do. They viewed having job as a place to get paid to learn skills they'll be using in their own business in future. But many get suckered into slowlane's comfort once their paycheck gets fat and lose sight of the goals they initially set.

There's no need to degrade people and look down on them just because they have a job and don't think the way we think. Some people are content with having a job and there's nothing wrong about that.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I'm genuinely asking this and looking for a bit of guidance as I obviously want to be self-reliant when it comes to money, hence why I'm here in the first place.

I recently decided to read TMFL again in audiobook format and I pose this question to you:
Why does this whole "slow lane" label have to be a thing and whats so bad about having a 9-5 job? I don't understand why it has to be so degrading and extreme - Is it to motivate us or something? It's used in such a generalised fashion and because a lot of this audience are in the younger category and easier to influence, these world views can risk our relationships with loved ones. I was deep in the space of fake gurus at a younger age and have to admit, I was a bit gutted when hearing M.J. say very similar things as to what they would all say when it came to how to view other "average" people or "slow laners".

Somebody posted in this exact forum about his relationship with his family breaking down due to his new mindset of "slow laners" etc, I mean surely there's a way to go about this without tearing up relationships with the ones we love? Obviously, if our loved ones are totally against our business desires then it's more understandable as to why disagreements might occur, but I'm talking about your every-day person and family member, do we really need to be so cynical with our mindsets in order to have success? I thought this was about trying to help others, not degrade them in our heads (or god help us out loud).

I'm sure M.J. won't mind me challenging this but why does he trash-talk the get-rich-easy space when he himself speaks in a very similar fashion towards 9-5 jobs and your average person, which is exactly what these fake gurus etc are doing also, he's done this just as much as them, I know they are doing other things that he isn't but still, when it comes to this area of discussion it's the same sh**.

I am struggling to understand how we are meant to want to help people and make money from this yet view the majority as "slow laners" and have such degrading views towards them, how does this make sense?

If someone could lend some food for thought that would be great because clearly I must be confusing something, I am in no way trying to start drama or fall out with anyone, I am genuinely asking for help to make sense of this. I'm a good dude, currently working on ways how to help others and make some cash but this has always been a conflicting thing for me and it keeps on coming up in my head.

Cheers
I am very thankful for the 9-5 workers. They are my preferred customers.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Being in the slow lane means you are wasting the one and only life you have, chasing money using a very ineffective strategy.

A slowlaner fails to understand that their time on earth is limited, and as a result always prioritizes money over time. They figure out this mistake by the time they are around 40, and they call it a "mid life crisis".

It's not a "mid life crisis", is the result of living your life with your eyes closed and blindly following what everyone else in society does. Ignorance comes with a heavy price to pay.

There's nothing wrong with working at a job, especially when the situation calls for it.

The real problem with the slowlane way of life is that you will never be who you could be. You will die with unfulfilled potential. You will waste your life building someone else's dream.

That is a real tragedy.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I am struggling to understand how we are meant to want to help people and make money from this yet view the majority as "slow laners" and have such degrading views towards them

Thread closed, I'm not going to defend and refute a straw man argument for someone who can't stick around for the answer. Sounds like his mind was made up anyways. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!