The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do we really need to a million books just to be wealthy?

Providence

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 21, 2020
Zambia
I've been thinking about the Bible, Quran and other religious books out there that are used to teach people and make them as the "holy books" say... coming back here, I've heard a couple of notable individuals say you have to read a lot of business books just to be where you want or even close - don't get me wrong this is not like changing your oil but business books in the sense of having one or two books that one can use to help and guide you through your business ventures, say a business bible.

What do others say about it do we or do we not need to read a ton of books just to be wealthy?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
There are no shortcuts. You haven't even started and you are looking for them.

Education is important. How you are educated is less consequential than the fact that you are.

This is a journey, not an event.

Providence

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 21, 2020
Zambia
You need to learn how to be good at whatever it is you want to be good at, right? That includes business, investing and/or entrepreneurship.

There are lots of ways to learn -- videos, mentorship, formal education, books, courses, etc. -- and you need to pick the one(s) that work best for you. For many people, books are the most efficient and cost-effective medium for learning the things you need to learn.

So, do you need books? Nope, but you do need to learn. If not books, what are you going to use?
ok, so books is a check

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Most business book are not that good. I have a crap ton of books sitting on some book shelves and very few books do I actually come back and re-read or reference.

But the ultimate goal is be able to think in a way where you don’t need anything outside yourself. If presented with a problem can you think without having someone else think for you?

Providence

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 21, 2020
Zambia
There are no shortcuts. You haven't even started and you are looking for them.

Education is important. How you are educated is less consequential than the fact that you are.

This is a journey

Most business book are not that good. I have a crap ton of books sitting on some book shelves and very few books do I actually come back and re-read or reference.

But the ultimate goal is be able to think in a way where you don’t need anything outside yourself. If presented with a problem can you think without having someone else think for you?
ok... say getting a book on marketing is a good idea to help supplement the TMF isn't a bad idea?

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
I've read 1M + 1 and still aint wealthy... Maybe because I believe that wealth attracts to those who think of it.
I'm actually serious o.o

Providence

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 21, 2020
Zambia
It's not about taking action or execution or putting in effort. It's about think and attracting wealth. You just don't get it bro :)
thinking and attracting wealth? attracting wealth by providing needs or otherwise?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
May 27, 2013
United States

I rarely re-read a book.

Most books give me one idea that I chew on for months/years, and it permanently alters/improves my thinking on a subject in some way.

These ideas give me more perspective on problems I'm trying to solve. I try to read books that focus on the things I am struggling with at that moment, allowing me to immediately implement new ideas, making the learning stick.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I've been thinking about the Bible, Quran and other religious books out there that are used to teach people and make them as the "holy books" say... coming back here, I've heard a couple of notable individuals say you have to read a lot of business books just to be where you want or even close - don't get me wrong this is not like changing your oil but business books in the sense of having one or two books that one can use to help and guide you through your business ventures, say a business bible.

What do others say about it do we or do we not need to read a ton of books just to be wealthy?
I've read your posts in this thread. Your thinking is interesting. It sounds like you are looking for a fail-safe, step-by-step, magic formula to success written up in a business book. Is that your message? If it is, then let me know when you find it. In all of these years, I've never found a short cut.

Providence

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 21, 2020
Zambia
I've read your posts in this thread. Your thinking is interesting. It sounds like you are looking for a fail-safe, step-by-step, magic formula to success written up in a business book. Is that your message? If it is, then let me know when you find it. In all of these years, I've never found a short cut.
Not really a shortcut... But just thought since there's one religious book that people use so i thought a certain business book can classified as one, of course with help from other relevant books

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
You want to be wealthy? or you want the best business advice? It can be the same thing, and it can be different.
you just want a lot of money? Rob a bank! (not the best business advice, btw)

If you want to know the best business advice, here it is, one rule to rule the day: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you (the golden rule)
At the end of the day, your business is dealing with many people, if you treat them right and fair, they will (most times) return the favor.

There are way too many business types out there, and that is why you won't find any "one-size-fits-all" book out there.
You want to run an international travel agency? That would take one type of manual.
You want to sell Airplanes? Completely different manual.
You want to print books for every publisher out there? yet another manual.

If I would give you a list of books, Unscripted , MFL, and then check my signature for the other two.

AidenRafi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Mar 1, 2017
Sydney
I consume articles/blogs/videos about business. (other than MJ's books).

I consume books on philosophy.

Philosophy books are for my mind, business blogs/articles/videos are tools.

I don't really need a whole book on tools.

It is quicker for me to quickly learn a tool, implement it, iterate it, then find a new tool to solve my next roadblock.

But training my mind is the larger encapsulating goal for me.

I learnt this when reading books of the great entrepreneurs, their autobiographies are generally philosophy books.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
ok, so books is a check
I think you missed the point. Education is the check - not books per say. For some people books are among the right tools. I like to read, study then practice what I've learned. Others like to dive right in - see if they can put it together without reading the instructions. Some want a mentor or other guiding hand. We all learn differently.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Not really a shortcut... But just thought since there's one religious book that people use so i thought a certain business book can classified as one, of course with help from other relevant books
At the risk of getting overly philosophical and with no intention of taking a position on religion...there is no one religious book. As you stated in your initial post, there are several iterations of the same theme, "the word of God." Yet each religion claims their book is "the one". I contend that the same is true in business, albeit with a little less fire and brimstone for those who don't follow the same book. Again please understand that I am NOT challenging anyone's belief in God or how they believe in God, simply observing that there are many books claiming to be the word of God.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

I think whatever books, knowledge or information are tools for you to connect the dots when the chance come. And yes the more you read the more tools you have.

Everyone’s own circumstances are highly unique and there is no one book that can tell you exactly what to do now and how to make choices.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
Others like to dive right in - see if they can put it together without reading the instructions.
This is me and this is the way I learn to use Photoshop.

I wanted to remove the background of a picture. Downloaded Photoshop, took several hours to figure out the controls, UI, etc (without reference or manuals). After familiarizing myself with the basics, I opened YouTube, watched and skipped more than 10 tutorials of how to remove a background, return back to Photoshop. Then repeat the same cycle. Is it a waste of time? No. Because, the next time I wanted to use Photoshop, I didn't have to watch several tutorials anymore.

Others might simply watch one video first then proceeds in downloading Photoshop.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Dreamer, dreamer... there is no short cut that I have found, BUT...

I thought about your post as I fell asleep last night. What's the best business book I ever read? When I was young I read a book on how to train my dog. Don't laugh. I quickly had a well-trained dog. I learned it was all dependent on me -- my actions toward the dog -- and how I then reacted to the dog's behavior. Over the years, I used the same techniques on my husband, my kids (now all 4 are grown, independent adults), my family, my staff, and my friends. I studied the subject in great depth by reading many books and taking some classes. I learned how to teach others what behavior I would accept from them. They learned how to treat me and how I would react in different situations. I was amazed at how powerful behavior modification techniques can be. And I learned to simply walk away from bad situations.

Providence

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 21, 2020
Zambia

I thought about your post as I fell asleep last night. What's the best business book I ever read? When I was young I read a book on how to train my dog. Don't laugh. I quickly had a well-trained dog. I learned it was all dependent on me -- my actions toward the dog -- and how I then reacted to the dog's behavior. Over the years, I used the same techniques on my husband, my kids (now all 4 are grown, independent adults), my family, my staff, and my friends. I studied the subject in great depth by reading many books and taking some classes. I learned how to teach others what behavior I would accept from them. They learned how to treat me and how I would react in different situations. I was amazed at how powerful behavior modification techniques can be. And I learned to simply walk away from bad situations.
thank you... I get the point

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica

What was the book? Don't Shoot The Dog?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
What was the book? Don't Shoot The Dog?
I don't remember the name. That was thousands of books, classes, podcasts, and articles ago. It set me on a lifelong quest to figure out why people do what they do. Selling real estate was one of my "Petri dishes" to try out different things that I was learning. I was so young and so shy when I started. I cried for the first 3 months because people were mean to me. I didn't know what to say or do. But, I learned how to meet, deal with, and get along with, other people in general.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Now I know why my wife gives me a treat when I do something right
You have a smart woman. My grandmother taught me that the way to man's heart is through his stomach. My husband would rather eat at home than to go out. He says that the food and the company are better at our dinner table.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
What's the best business book I ever read?
Yeah, if I had to name ONE book to read that can make you wealthy, I wouldn't be able to say. I don't know what that book would be. Would probably have to pick something more universally applicable... maybe Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People (or mine: How to Win Enemies & Influence People :rofl:) - those skills would do you well regardless of what you end up doing in life.

I have yet to find someone who studied business and truly tried to identify what makes for repeatable success. That is one thing I want to do with my life. I haven't found anyone yet. Everyone is very much concerned with how THEY can be successful, and less so with the general principles of success in business. Of course the trite answers of mindset, attitude, and so on will always be the easily available ones. But you have to dig deeper.

It's very hard to say how you can engineer success in any repeatable way. If you look at it successful people come from all sorts of backgrounds. Some are lazy, some are hardworking, some are smart, lthers quite dumb, and so on. It doesn’t seem that success discriminates.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
The books you read are really a reflection of who you are and where you are in life.

But nothing screams “wantrapreneur” to me more than a dude with a bunch of business books in his Amazon library.

The real wealthy people are reading things more technical or precise on a subject matter; not business fluff.

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
I've read hundreds of business books - listened to podcasts - watched video courses .. you name it.
I read them because they looked interesting or because they were at the top of some "best of" list.

The problem with that is that you don't really absorb all that information - there's only so much brainspace.

I've come to believe that the right way to do things is "ad hoc learning".

For example - right now I've started a new business and I need to find ways to raise awareness for my brand in these times where I'm not allowed to physically meet with others due to C0VlD-19 restrictions.
So I'm going deep on the subject of inbound marketing, growth hacking etc.

It's the combination of the learning with the actual doing and applying of the concepts in these books that is powerful.

You can learn about investing in the stock market for example , but you REALLY learn if you put up your own money and see what happens to it (down the drain like in my case lol)

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
I've read hundreds of business books - listened to podcasts - watched video courses .. you name it.
I read them because they looked interesting or because they were at the top of some "best of" list.

The problem with that is that you don't really absorb all that information - there's only so much brainspace.

I've come to believe that the right way to do things is "ad hoc learning".

For example - right now I've started a new business and I need to find ways to raise awareness for my brand in these times where I'm not allowed to physically meet with others due to C0VlD-19 restrictions.
So I'm going deep on the subject of inbound marketing, growth hacking etc.

It's the combination of the learning with the actual doing and applying of the concepts in these books that is powerful.

You can learn about investing in the stock market for example , but you REALLY learn if you put up your own money and see what happens to it (down the drain like in my case lol)
10% learning (reading books/videos/manuals) and 90% execution.

the man who doesn't sharpen his ax will spend all day hacking.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA

Please SEARCH before posting.