The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts on "Phrase URLs" that are different than your brand name?

Marketing, social media, advertising

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I was wondering if anyone has any SEO/Marketing experience with using a domain name that isn't just "companyname.com"? For instance, I was thinking of using a short four word url. Four words sounds long for a url (well, one word is just "at") but I think the phrase really captures the benefit offered to consumers and thus would be easy to remember for repeat and returning customers.

I was inspired by a local wildlife management company, A1 Checkmate Wildlife, whose domain name is RemoveTheWild.com. I think the URL captures the essence of the company much more than their business name and is very memorable. I will say though that I didn't find them through Google search, but instead was referred by another company over the phone.

So despite being memorable (good) and capturing the main consumer benefit in a short but powerful phrase (good) would the the initial discovery be made harder when the domain name isn't the company name? Of course it would be prudent to register the company name url as well and then 301 redirect to the main phrase url.

Another thought, what if the company/brand name was that 4 word url, like how 1-800-GOT-JUNK is the company name and the phone number? In the above example, instead of A1 Checkmate, they would call their company "RemoveTheWild.com". I know some tech companies do this (especially if they end in .io). Sounds like something Amazon would take issue with perhaps?

Interested to hear your thoughts!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
As long as you own BrandName.com, it shouldn't be a problem. Some brands register specific domains for certain campaigns so they can track its engagement and overall success without affecting the main domain, then redirect it once the campaign is over. It's also easier to remember when advertised on radio/TV, as opposed to "BrandName.com/Offer"

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Some businesses running Google Ads campaigns do this if volumes justify it.

I did it back in 2009 for my electrician friend (see thread “The biggest benefit of AdWords”).

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
There's one caveat - some people might remember you by that phrase url instead of your brand name.
Thats the case with company MeetEdgar. They thought that people will call their software "Edgar" but people started referring to them as "MeetEdgar".
So it's a warning.

Personally, i don't like companies doing urls for their one time promotions.
Like Mars Inc could do imsnickingit.com for some promotion and then its
abandoned domain. I'm never looking up such domains.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.