The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts on Dan Bilzerian's marketing strategy

Marketing, social media, advertising
D

Deleted78083

For some years now, Bilzerian has created a CBD vaping business, a female apparel business, a vodka business and also a electrolyte-infused water bottle business, all while spending his days throwing parties in a 80$ million LA mansion, documented to his 23 million followers on instagram.
Yet, I wonder if people actually buy his stuff, if he is taken seriously, or just perceived as an entertainer. I was reading his marketing strategy resembled somewhat Gary Vee's strategy: building brands resting on one big personality. We may also compare it to Richard Branson, Zuckerberg and Elon Musk, although I don't believe it was Musk's idea at first, but that it just happened because of the media. Personally, I don't believe it is smart to link a brand to a personality as if the person f*** up, the reputation of the brand goes down. We saw it when Musk smoked weed on Rogan, and Tesla lost 8%. The antithesis of this is the Google brand, that stands on its own (not linked whatsoever to Page or Brin) and was even dethroned by Alphabet.
Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
He’s just a dude who inherited a lot of money from his dad. I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about him. His money didn’t come from his business acumen
Most of the time peeps bring him up, it’s out of jealousy

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
For some years now, Bilzerian has created a CBD vaping business, a female apparel business, a vodka business and also a electrolyte-infused water bottle business, all while spending his days throwing parties in a 80$ million LA mansion, documented to his 23 million followers on instagram.
Yet, I wonder if people actually buy his stuff, if he is taken seriously, or just perceived as an entertainer. I was reading his marketing strategy resembled somewhat Gary Vee's strategy: building brands resting on one big personality. We may also compare it to Richard Branson, Zuckerberg and Elon Musk, although I don't believe it was Musk's idea at first, but that it just happened because of the media. Personally, I don't believe it is smart to link a brand to a personality as if the person f*** up, the reputation of the brand goes down. We saw it when Musk smoked weed on Rogan, and Tesla lost 8%. The antithesis of this is the Google brand, that stands on its own (not linked whatsoever to Page or Brin) and was even dethroned by Alphabet.
Thoughts?
My personal thoughts:

We all have personal brands. I think it’s smart to use them to get started (be it getting hired, getting people to work with you, getting finance, etc). I would then prefer to build something that’s detached from my personal brand and stands on its own two feet.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Are you planning on running a "CBD vaping business, a female apparel business, a vodka business and also an electrolyte-infused water bottle business"?

Do you have or plan on having 23 million Instagram followers?

If not then there are most likely way better people you can study/learn from.

Why spend time focused on how someone is successful when there is practically no overlap with what your own journey would look like.

Boychamp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 13, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Are you planning on running a "CBD vaping business, a female apparel business, a vodka business and also an electrolyte-infused water bottle business"?

Do you have or plan on having 23 million Instagram followers?

If not then there are most likely way better people you can study/learn from.

Why spend time focused on how someone is successful when there is practically no overlap with what your own journey would look like.

Hmm.. I get what you're going for here and I do agree for the most part. But I have to play devil's advocate in this situation. Although I do agree his time could potentially be better spent studying someone else, I don't think it's wrong to study what people are doing in other markets - regardless of what you're in. I have often found myself drawing inspiration from ads from completely and unrelated fields because of the creative concept/story/copy etc. All to say that seeing and studying "unrelated" fields to yours can still often give insight - sometimes even more because it's actually easier to understand the lesson because you're less close to it.

In terms of Dan... I don't necessarily like how he does his marketing but I do think it's smart. It mostly revolves around status. He portrays his extremely extravagant life related to these products & influencers. The constant association of these products with high profile or desired people creates a perceived status shift by purchasing the products. Also, because the dude is so controversial, most people either love him or hate him which is also a somewhat classic tactic.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.