The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

**This thread will change the way you think.**

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
ya know, I have interacted with, replied to, and liked posts by @biophase sooo many times and I don't think he has ever liked or replied back once, ever.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I'm pretty sure I've replied to your posts in the past. :)

I actually had to go look to see which post you replied to on this thread. Many times scroll through and just read the posts and don't even look at who wrote it. I was going to reply to your pic about the cars, but I was going to search online to find a living room example first. The pic you post I thought was weird that you would put 2 cars in a bar like that? Kind of defeats the purpose of showcasing a car when there's another one stacked one foot above it!

The liking part I need to do more. I noticed that I hardly like any posts I read. My like to post ratio is probably really sad. Is there anyway to see how many likes you've given in your account?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest-5ty5s4

I'm pretty sure I've replied to your posts in the past. :)

I actually had to go look to see which post you replied to on this thread. Many times scroll through and just read the posts and don't even look at who wrote it. I was going to reply to your pic about the cars, but I was going to search online to find a living room example first. The pic you post I thought was weird that you would put 2 cars in a bar like that? Kind of defeats the purpose of showcasing a car when there's another one stacked one foot above it!

The liking part I need to do more. I noticed that I hardly like any posts I read. My like to post ratio is probably really sad. Is there anyway to see how many likes you've given in your account?
I’m just trolling you man. Yeah it is weird right? NOLA is such a cool place though!

Lol sorry, just a joke

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
But really, I noticed about a year ago that I hardly ever like any posts on here!
If you don’t like 99.9% of all posts here, why are you still here?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If you don’t like 99.9% of all posts here, why are you still here?
Not sure if you’re being sarcastic. But I do realize my post wasn’t clear. I meant that I rarely click the like button on posts that I read here.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Not sure if you’re being sarcastic. But I do realize my post wasn’t clear. I meant that I rarely click the like button on posts that I read here.

Yes I was. Hoping a little light humour would get you to tap that “like” on my post, alas… no such luck. :hilarious:

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Off topic but something I think about is that giving out likes is free, so I try to be as generous/liberal with them as possible.

I want to spread my friendliness and gratitude to as many people as possible. It’s like buying friends gifts but without spending any money.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I want to spread my friendliness and gratitude to as many people as possible

This is very much on topic. Gratitude is a way of thinking, and it gives us lasting joy and happiness.

Here is my Sunday gratitude:
1. To @Kak for his relentless reminder and enthusiasm to “think big, then think BIGGER”. It serves me well in business.
2. @MTF for his discomfort club newsletter. It made me double my workouts when I felt like I should be resting. It’s changing the way I think about fatigue.

To the readers - thanks for your replies! Who are you grateful for today (on the forum)? List two members and tell us why.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes I was. Hoping a little light humour would get you to tap that “like” on my post, alas… no such luck. :hilarious:
Lol it didn’t even cross my mind to interpret it that way. I just never even think about the like buttons. Also it could have been that it was 12am when I read your post.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
giving out likes is free, so I try to be as generous/liberal with them as possible.
Likewise.

It can help people realise others are reading and appreciate the time and effort they put into posting. A lot of people are worried about posting, and it’s quite easy to tap the Like button to encourage them.

A few people follow me too, so seeing my Likes in their News Feed something might bring some eyeballs to a post too. I don’t know if this actually has any effect, but I know I check out posts MJ Likes.

It also means I don’t go too overboard with the Likes in case it spams people’s News Feeds.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

**On Creativity. **​

Being creative isn't some luxury that's only available when you've hit your "exit $ number" and can now afford to do it. It's just as natural for humans as walking, eating or thinking. It's what made our species survive!

A typical new member starts a thread on this forum along the lines of "I've read the book, want to quit my job, have a few months of savings. What should I do next 30 days to generate $X because I don't want to be slow lane anymore." Typical, boring and "me, me, me" type of post. Irony here is an entrepreneur is an inventor, a problem solver - a creative human being.

To live like the 1% you can't behave like 99%.

How to become more creative?
  • Learn to do things without judgment, similar to how in mediation you observe your thoughts and feelings.
  • Stop trying to navigate the forest in pitch black night. Your desire to make changes to your life comes when you are most consumed by emotion, but that's the worst time to do so. Do not make decisions when you are upset or riding a high. Let yourself come back down to neutral first. Then think. Think on a piece of paper.
  • Ask yourself better questions. Are you wanting to have better things before becoming a better you? Maybe it's time to change your objectives.

Add to the list folks! What makes you more creative?
I wrote this a week or so ago:

Things I think about (in no particular order):

1) Is it really true? (e.g. Do we really NEED a website?)

2) Has someone somewhere done it without X?

3) What would we do if we weren’t allowed X? (e.g. How would you get new business without a website?)

4) Start as close to the end as possible.

5) Dump it, defer it, delegate it, do it. (The most important is dumping it.)

6) Is this something you can’t NOT do?

7) What would Richard Branson do?

8) What’s The ONE Thing that if completed would make everything else redundant or easier to do?

fosterzz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Apr 14, 2022
One resource that really helped me (after doing it enough times for it to stick), was tony robbins personal power II which I think a few people here and even Tim Ferris have brought up.

There's quite a few good distinctions, like the power of focus, watching your energy and state, but one that really sunk deep and started to change me was reframing downturns and "failures" in life as challenges and checkpoints.

It's a cliche, but for anything you do, it's something you chose to do, and that thing gave you feedback. If you're smart, if you refuse to get down, you can listen to and observe what you're getting from your actions, and then change what you're doing until you get your desired outcome.

One I'm facing right now is with cold calls.
The first thought that popped to my mind after my 9th catty receptionist was "Damn, am I only going to run into receptionists? I'm NEVER going to be able to make this business work :( "
Before I could even finish the frowny face emote in my mind, I caught myself, and I changed it.
Before I even knew it, that line transformed into:
"Damn, I'm really running into a lot of receptionists, what are some good ways or techniques to win them to my side and get in touch with decision makers, reliably?
If I can do just that, I'll be swimming in sales calls."

It sounds corny, sounded corny to me the first few times I encountered it, but when I had a hard month awhile back and was sick and tired of being sick tired, I decided to just give it a go and the rest is history.
what is the rest? did you grow a business out of it?

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
You will never regret creating something, or taking action.

Something I want to keep in mind myself.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
# On Discomfort
  • Your brain cannot differentiate "good" from "bad". We only understand "comfortable" and "uncomfortable". This is why we often do things that are bad for us but make us comfortable. Binge watching useless tv series anyone? Discomfort, is typically is what makes us grow and is good for us.
  • What you want is different from what you think you want. You think you want better versions of what you know. But future is *unknown*. Discomfort => Growth => Discovery of new and unknown. Focus on growth instead of outcome, because what you want is 10x better than you can imagine.
  • Discomfort can become comfortable through repetition. That's when you aren't growing anymore. Feel that way at the gym? Try running. Got good at running? Try writing! Familiar discomfort = comfort.
  • Life is transitory and that's why there is no such thing as true security. Things we own can be lost (money, jobs, assets). Our bodies can get ill. Nothing is truly "secure". It is an uncomfortable truth and you should accept it.
  • There is no such thing as true comfort. There is only what feels safe, an idea but nothing more. Best performing people accept this and find happiness in discomfort through growth.
  • Life success is about trying, it is not about being certain. Certainty is an illusion based on your past, and the future has new things in store for you. Instead of seeking certainty, commit to making the best of whatever happens.
  • Most people do not change until discomfort over status quo is bigger than discomfort over change. Problem is, this can take a long time to manifest. Instead, take control and seek out best ways to grow.

Partly inspired by @MTF discomfort club.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Thanks for tagging me, @Antifragile. I'm glad to hear I could inspire your thoughts.

Life is transitory and that's why there is no such thing as true security. Things we own can be lost (money, jobs, assets). Our bodies can get ill. Nothing is truly "secure". It is an uncomfortable truth and you should accept it.

This may sound like an exaggeration but I truly think that 99% of people just don't accept that they're going to die. Meditating on this truth daily is one of the most powerful exercises to internalize the fact that life never offers true security. By definition, as Jocko recently tweeted, all options lead to death.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Thanks for tagging me, @Antifragile. I'm glad to hear I could inspire your thoughts.

This may sound like an exaggeration but I truly think that 99% of people just don't accept that they're going to die. Meditating on this truth daily is one of the most powerful exercises to internalize the fact that life never offers true security. By definition, as Jocko recently tweeted, all options lead to death.

I’m a happy person. Some would even call me an optimist.

And I think about death sometimes. It’s especially useful for me when making big life decisions. I ask myself “on my deathbed what will I regret more?” And make a decision. That’s how I decided to start my business.

Similarly, in the moments of extreme stress, when I feel like pressure of life is getting too much and affecting me. I think about end of life and how current bad situation isn’t as bad, after all. And that in the end, few things will really matter enough. I tell myself to let go and just do the best I can with the situation.

I’m not sure about doing it daily, that sounds like too much (for me). But overall I agree that this is one of the most powerful tools to reframe my mind from negative to positive. It’s also the most powerful tool I know to help me make better life (long term) decisions.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I’m a happy person. Some would even call me an optimist.

And I think about death sometimes. It’s especially useful for me when making big life decisions. I ask myself “on my deathbed what will I regret more?” And make a decision. That’s how I decided to start my business.

Similarly, in the moments of extreme stress, when I feel like pressure of life is getting too much and affecting me. I think about end of life and how current bad situation isn’t as bad, after all. And that in the end, few things will really matter enough. I tell myself to let go and just do the best I can with the situation.

I’m not sure about doing it daily, that sounds like too much (for me). But overall I agree that this is one of the most powerful tools to reframe my mind from negative to positive. It’s also the most powerful tool I know to help me make better life (long term) decisions.

Made me remember these quotes from Rickson Gracie's book:

One day I remembered something that my dad always used to say: “Nothing can be a hundred percent positive or a hundred percent negative.” I spent a long time trying to find something positive that I could take away from this tragedy. After much meditation, I realized that I had never really valued time. I thought that I controlled time and could put things off, like talking to my son, until later. After Rockson’s departure, I understood that there is no tomorrow, because life can change forever in the blink of an eye. I needed to do my best every day because it might be my last. I no longer had the luxury of wasted time!

For the first time in many years, I felt a renewed sense of purpose. Now I wanted everything in my life—a conversation with a stranger, a new project, or a Jiu Jitsu seminar—to have meaning. I refused to waste time on things that I did not value, and I left other people’s expectations behind.

The Japanese have an expression, ichi-go ichi-e, which roughly translates to “once in a lifetime.” It could refer to a gathering of friends, a special meal, an epic day of surf, but the idea is to savor that occasion, because it will never come again. I share this view and believe that if you see every moment in life as a unique opportunity, you live with much more intensity and precision because you are using 100 percent of your energy, your voice, and your senses. It is always important to remember that. For example, if I were driving to the airport to fly to Japan and my daughter Kauan called and said, “Dad! I need to talk to you!” the old Rickson would have said, “Honey, I’ll call you once I land in Japan.” Today, I would pull over, park the car, and give her as much time as she needed. What if I miss the plane? F*ck the plane! There is always another flight, but I don’t want to ever regret not taking my daughter’s call.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
OMG, you literally quoted my favorite part of the book! When he decides to prioritize talking to his kid over potentially missing a flight, that’s a paradigm shift. It’s a reminder for me as a parent. He lost his son to gain that perspective, but we don’t have to. We can learn from Rickson directly.

This hit me hard. I loved it and promised myself to act this way with my kid. And I will.

ErikGH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 27, 2019

Here are notes on things that aren't obvious but will change the way you think about life. An eclectic collection.​

• Your habits are what drives your mood, and mood is a filter through which you experience life. Happiness is not some fantom state of joy, it is how your mood filters experiences of life.
  • The past is not some unchangeable reality, like a video recording. Your perception of the past changes as you change, and so do your memories. The past you recall is not the same as how you will perceive those same events in the future.
  • You don't even know what will make you happy. We act and make plans (like buying a Lambo) but those are a mere reflection of the best version of the past or now. We have no idea what other available outcomes are in the future. We can't picture things that do not yet exist. And since we can't predict the future outcome of our actions, we can only focus on now. Don't settle on the best version of the past, the future can be even better.
  • Is fear a sign you are on the wrong path? No, quite the opposite. This hits close to home for all entrepreneurs. Fear tells you that you are on the right path because you are moving towards something you want and like. The sign for being on a bad path is indifference. Next time you are fearful, remember you are moving towards something you like.
  • Your thoughts may actually not be your own. Social conditioning can make us believe things that weren't our thoughts or beliefs in the first place. Examine your beliefs and reflect on their origin, then decide.
  • No emotion is permanent, your anger, happiness, joy - all of it. I hope you've developed enough awareness just by being alive to know that even worst things that happened, will pass. Remember this quote: "this too shall pass".

What can you add to this thread? What surprising mind twist did you learn?
I learned that my outside world was just a reflection of my inside world. I kept looking for happiness and fulfillment somewhere "Out There". When I started doing more inner work everything changed.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
**On Self Esteem.**

Self esteem is not how much you think people approve of you or think highly of you. Self esteem is how much confidence you have in yourself to manage life, with all its ups and downs. It is internal and eliminated the need to focus on how we are superior to others.

Think of it as two things:
1. The sense of confidence to deal with life's challenges
2. Feeling worthy of being happy

And how do you get there?

Acceptance
See yourself and your own reality as it is, without judgement or embellishments. Simple: own your shit and be ok with it.

Responsibility
There is no one else who'll do it for you. It may not be your fault, but it is still your problem to solve. Own it, do it.

Assertiveness
Stand up for yourself but don't be defensive. Be confident.

Integrity
Have a moral compass, hold yourself to your own standard and don't lower the bar. You and only you are accountable for your actions, develop a code and live by it.

(concepts above were borrowed from The Psychology of Self-Esteem by Nathaniel Branden but liberally paraphrased)

What else can you add to the list above to build real self-esteem?

tzhang

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 29, 2022
Edmonton, Canada

Here are notes on things that aren't obvious but will change the way you think about life. An eclectic collection.​

• Your habits are what drives your mood, and mood is a filter through which you experience life. Happiness is not some fantom state of joy, it is how your mood filters experiences of life.
  • The past is not some unchangeable reality, like a video recording. Your perception of the past changes as you change, and so do your memories. The past you recall is not the same as how you will perceive those same events in the future.
  • You don't even know what will make you happy. We act and make plans (like buying a Lambo) but those are a mere reflection of the best version of the past or now. We have no idea what other available outcomes are in the future. We can't picture things that do not yet exist. And since we can't predict the future outcome of our actions, we can only focus on now. Don't settle on the best version of the past, the future can be even better.
  • Is fear a sign you are on the wrong path? No, quite the opposite. This hits close to home for all entrepreneurs. Fear tells you that you are on the right path because you are moving towards something you want and like. The sign for being on a bad path is indifference. Next time you are fearful, remember you are moving towards something you like.
  • Your thoughts may actually not be your own. Social conditioning can make us believe things that weren't our thoughts or beliefs in the first place. Examine your beliefs and reflect on their origin, then decide.
  • No emotion is permanent, your anger, happiness, joy - all of it. I hope you've developed enough awareness just by being alive to know that even worst things that happened, will pass. Remember this quote: "this too shall pass".

The difference between people is the habit. Good habits bring good results, bad habits ruin lives. Learn to form good habits and change bad habits into good ones, and life will be different for the better.

Issi007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Apr 27, 2022

Great thread, full of insights!
Indeed, the emotion of fear (boredom as well) makes the right path uncomfortable to follow but eventually become comfy later on.

Thank you for sharing !

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely

The point is that while gifts are financially inefficient, they are an important social lubricant. They help us make friends and create long-term relationships that can sustain us through the ups and downs of life. Sometimes, it turns out, a waste of money can be worth a lot.

hungqpham

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 24, 2022

As someone who often lives in the past, I highly appreciate this "Your perception of the past changes as you change, and so do your memories". It gives me back some control of the past, the present, and the future. Thanks for sharing.

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jan 15, 2019
Northern IL & Southeastern WI
One of the larger takeaways I found since working with clients, business partners, and employees:

You don't have to take anything personally.

I remember when I was first starting to be mentored by my business partner, I took everything he said personally. If I f*cked up or forgot something, I felt that his words were personal. They are not.

The things he said to me were his perception of the situation (i.e. forgetting to bring materials/tools to a job we were working on). He would say things like I f*cked up or make personal comments about me and my abilities/commitment.

But deep down I know that when he does the same, he is harder on himself about it and also he is saying it because it is something that I need to hear.

Most people cannot bear to have others put them in line or in check, so they run and hide or don't tell people about things that need attention.

Every time I tried to hide or not tell somebody something, it comes back to bite me in the a$$. The main thing is to admit your mess ups or rip the band aid off, take the tongue-lashing, then move on and learn.

Reflect on it later, but don't dig in deep every single time to tear yourself apart.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma

Emotional Intelligence - rules for life:​

• Do not speak in definitive terms about people, politics or ideas. The idea may be wrong to you, but it exists because it is right to someone else.
  • Focus on communicating something, not just saying things to elicit validation or approval. Speak calmly, simply and mindfully.
  • Listen to hear, not to respond.
  • The world does not revolve around you. Disassociate words you hear from judgement against you. Listen to someone without worrying that what is being said is a slight against you. Try to understand the other person's perspective.
  • If you genuinely dislike something, you'd disengage from it. Your interest in a topic means you are not indifferent.
  • Don't post anything online that you wouldn't want to show your parent or explain to your child.

Can someone add some Jordan Peterson wisdom? He had two books on rule for life!
Love this This year I have accomplished all of the above. Even if I have not do not let my brain know this=)

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
# On following your passion

It is not about following your passion, it's about following purpose passionately.
  • **Passion is an emotion. ** Making decisions based solely on such emotion means choosing something that give you the biggest high. When pressed to choose between "I'd like to recharge batteries and rest this evening" VS "I want to work on my skills to achieve my financial goals sooner" - emotion and logic are at odds.
  • **Passion is based on who you are today**, it is based on what you you think you know would give you that high. But if you think something will give you a high, it's familiar, meaning it is not new and unknown. Logic allows you to build up yourself into the person you want to become. Yet it is uncharted territory and as such, you'll often find that you don't know where you're going.
  • Passion is wanting your wildest dreams, but logic is about your max potential. Ironically, it's the latter that leads to wild dream like outcomes.
  • Passion attaches you to a feeling or an idea. It's wanting to keep getting that "high" no matter what. It is also unrealistic because it is not possible to always replicate those highs. Even if you love what you do, you'll have bad days. Even the person of your dreams will have fights etc.
  • Passion is chasing one emotion after another, it's irrational, painful and ignores reality. Those thoughts of lacking something then construct your emotional state. There is no gratitude in it. There is no abundance without gratitude.
So you want it bad enough, doesn't mean you'll get it. It's typical of self-help gurus to promote "just want it bad enough". But the rewards in life go to people who are best qualified, who have a real advantage - not who want it bad enough. "Being passionate" isn't a qualifying factor when selling a product on Amazon, having the best product is.

Passion is the easy, comfortable way out. It is believing your emotions rather than questioning their origins.

To achieve your maximum potential, do the work. Nose to the grindstone hard work. Confidence will build from what you do. Positive mindset is rooted in action, not thinking about passion. And in the end, you may even become passionate about things you do.

QUESTION:
Do you agree?

I expect not everyone will agree. Warren Buffet says "In the world of business, the people who are most successful are those who are doing what they love." Warren Buffett Says Doing Your Job This Way Is What Separates Successful People From Everyone Else

Black_Mamba_427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 6, 2022
Great points guys and I don't disagree with any of them. Since getting the Lambos / Ferraris out of my system I'm not as gung - ho about owning them anymore (and having children steal a lot of your time). I still love what they (mostly) represent and are an inspiration token for many aspiring entrepreneurs.

The utility of one is very limited, and say completely inverse to what a truck accomplishes (and that's precisely what makes them 'exotic')! If not careful, they do depreciate, require storage, upkeep and delicate TLC with every interaction.

But I must also add that it all also depends on how you use the car and what you get out of it. Arizona today sports a HUGE car culture, with events upon events - to meet and connect with others.

I met tons of my current friends through the car world and the passion we share. Would I still have met these people owning a toyota camry and just hanging around forums/events? Maybe / maybe not ... so it just all depends on how much value you can attribute to your life beyond what the face value is of just owning one or having it sit in your garage.

It is true that the exotic market is over saturated , and it does not mean the same thing anymore as it did 15-20 years back when one was a rare sight on the roads.

I still love all of them though, and not only were cars motivation to help 'succeed' in the fastlane, but some days I still wake up 'yearning' for another one to try .... because 'why not'. With age I have also desired to actually 'drive' them less and less, but I do appreciate the art aspect of them tremendously.
I understand and appreciate both sides of the conversation. Whilst I haven't owned a supercar yet, I'm definitely planning on getting on in the future. I'm not sure what yet. I like Ferrari 458, F8 Spiders, Aventadors and Mclaren 720s (although they seem to always have issues and catch fire etc).

I've got an AC Cobra replica atm which is around £40-50K (top spec one) and I imagine it's similar to that but on a more expensive scale. I haven't used it that much, hell I did 30 miles last year during the lockdowns, but the car costs me nothing and I originally purchased it for £27K, so it's appreciating nicely.

I mean, I'd never recommend someone buying a supercar or yacht or plane if they weren't interested in it and just wanted to flex, but to me :

Pros:
* Great fun - duh
* If you buy the right model at the right time, they will appreciate
* For me - I think it would add High Market/Social Value (I forgot the name of this..) but in my industry (Essentially OnlyFans / SW) - I think it would demonstrate that I was clearly very good at what I did, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford it.
* The people you meet from car meets and the networking ability. Even with my Cobra I've been invited to "Invite only" car shows and met some great people that have taught me so much. When I had my sailing boat, I made friends with a lot of rich older guys in the marina, who I still go sailing with now and are great friends, but they have taught me SOOO much about business, tax effiency, putting me in touch with extremely good accountants, mortgage brokers and IFA's. I wouldn't have got this information if I purchased a canoe lol.

Cons:
* Like others have said, jealousy/envy/haters. You're basically putting a massive target on your back + Vandalism.
* Can depreciate horrifically if youre unlikely or market crashes / can be a money pit.
* Constant pain in the a$$ thinking youre going to have someone crash into you, even if you get a payout on insurance because of the stress of it / where you park it.
* Everything costs more. Professionally valeted, rather than cheap car washes because you don't want to scratch it. More expensive parking as you want security if youre leaving it for a long time etc.
* Family members / friends assuming you are loaded because youre flaunting wealth and asking for handouts, treating you differently. Friends becoming 'competitive' with you because you make them feel insecure. I've heard some stories of people buying a lambo and some of their long term friends said they couldnt be friends with them anymore .. wtf

edit: Great thread btw. Slowly working my way through it all

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I understand and appreciate both sides of the conversation. Whilst I haven't owned a supercar yet, I'm definitely planning on getting on in the future. I'm not sure what yet. I like Ferrari 458, F8 Spiders, Aventadors and Mclaren 720s (although they seem to always have issues and catch fire etc).

I've got an AC Cobra replica atm which is around £40-50K (top spec one) and I imagine it's similar to that but on a more expensive scale. I haven't used it that much, hell I did 30 miles last year during the lockdowns, but the car costs me nothing and I originally purchased it for £27K, so it's appreciating nicely.

You and I think differently.

When I buy expensive things (like cars), I use the shit out of them. The last thing on my mind is appreciation of value. The more beat it and less desired by fanboys, the more I feel I got my own value out of it.

I mean, I'd never recommend someone buying a supercar or yacht or plane if they weren't interested in it and just wanted to flex, but to me :

Pros:
* Great fun - duh
* If you buy the right model at the right time, they will appreciate
* For me - I think it would add High Market/Social Value (I forgot the name of this..) but in my industry (Essentially OnlyFans / SW) - I think it would demonstrate that I was clearly very good at what I did, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford it.
* The people you meet from car meets and the networking ability. Even with my Cobra I've been invited to "Invite only" car shows and met some great people that have taught me so much. When I had my sailing boat, I made friends with a lot of rich older guys in the marina, who I still go sailing with now and are great friends, but they have taught me SOOO much about business, tax effiency, putting me in touch with extremely good accountants, mortgage brokers and IFA's. I wouldn't have got this information if I purchased a canoe lol.
You are right, with luxury watches, cars, boats... NFT PFP - all signal something about your success.

Yet in the last decade or two, not once have I gotten business or lost business because of the cars I drove (from Honda Civic, BMWs, to 911, Range Rover etc.)

Cons:
* Like others have said, jealousy/envy/haters. You're basically putting a massive target on your back + Vandalism.
* Can depreciate horrifically if youre unlikely or market crashes / can be a money pit.
* Constant pain in the a$$ thinking youre going to have someone crash into you, even if you get a payout on insurance because of the stress of it / where you park it.
* Everything costs more. Professionally valeted, rather than cheap car washes because you don't want to scratch it. More expensive parking as you want security if youre leaving it for a long time etc.
* Family members / friends assuming you are loaded because youre flaunting wealth and asking for handouts, treating you differently. Friends becoming 'competitive' with you because you make them feel insecure. I've heard some stories of people buying a lambo and some of their long term friends said they couldnt be friends with them anymore .. wtf

You should not be buying super or luxury cars until you ARE loaded. And ironically, when you get there... you may no longer want that flex. Or the attention.

edit: Great thread btw. Slowly working my way through it all

Thanks. Glad you like it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.