The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
Ohio State student here.

Spring break is extended another week and classes are online for the rest of the semester. We were one of the first universities to move to online classes initially so I assume others will follow.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I live in a house with 4 others. My roommate just came in and mentioned that he has a cough and his chest hurts.

I hate how on edge this puts you!
I bought a good amount of anti bacterial hand wash about 2 to 3 weeks ago, and I use anti bac wipes on door handles and phone daily.

It's super annoying to see the other two guys I live with not bother to use the hand wash...

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
- My Disney on Ice tickets we won for the kids that was schedule for tomorrow are cancelled
- Schools are closed until April (extending march break by 2 weeks)

So a lot of people are getting worried because of the school closure and they think it's a sign of how bad things have gotten... i'm not 100% sure of that. I think the US is learning from everyone else's mistakes and closing things down at a preemptive strike

They closed down the school near me and there was only 1 reported case in the whole area.

That's not to say that things aren't serious... everything still applies. Social Distancing is still the best weapon

My suggestion is: stock up on food, and don't leave the house for as long as possible. I got a bunch of canned food and i'm just staying the f--- away from people.

Even aside from everything else - this bug is nasty. Pneumonia is very common which is horrible. Just don't go out.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
It sucks.. I live right on the border of NY / CT.... we're right at the epicenter of all this

If you want to track cases in the US, check here:

Important Note: These are reported cases. if you live in an area where it doesn't look 'that bad' please don't take that to mean you can take a relaxed attitude. These are known cases. There tons and tons of people who haven't even been tested yet. This virus grows exponentially and every one infection creates a snowball effect.

I know me personally... I'm thinking about my parents who are of the age where they can seriously get hurt. Think of your parents... and think of other people's parents. You don't want to cause a chain of events that may lead to someone's loved ones getting hurt.

http---com.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com-d2f5eee6-6231-11ea-abcc-910c5b38d9ed.jpeg

This is a photo from ICU in Italy where patients have to lie on their stomachs in order to improve their lung function. And those are the lucky ones. Their hospital system is quickly becoming overburdened.

In the US we really have the chance to potentially put the brakes on this, which is a chance other countries haven't had. But our #1 best defense is social distancing.

Really... just stay inside. Get some popcorn, throw on some Netflix, get some books on Kindle and let's hope we can get through this relatively unscathed.

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Reporting from Mexico (Merida): So far everything looks perfectly normal. Full shelves in all shops.
The problem is, there is only 12 reported cases in entire country, and the population is almost 130 million.

Of course I'm not buying that. My guess is that shit is going to hit the fan at some point. They have poor criteria for testing (they don't test anybody unless they just went back from China, Italy or Iran. Lol).
Another possible option is that the heat (temperatures around 35-40 *C) does something to slow down the spread, but IDK.

The problem is my Spanish is very basic and I'm not a citzen. Right now I don't even have a travel insurance. Have to fix that asap.
At the same time, going back to Europe right now doesn't look like a good idea. Interesting times.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Spectators banned from PGA Tour events until The Masters at this stage, 3 LPGA events cancelled, F1 in Melbourne has been cancelled.
EPL have announced this weekends games will continue as normal, but Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has just tested positive so they may rethink that.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Also XFL cancelled (does anyone watch that?)
Would be fair to assume all sports worldwide will either stop completely or play to empty stadiums, golf for instance, it’s not a tightly confined area and little to no contact with other people so the Tour may continue.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Natural Grocers was a mad house when I was there about 30 minutes ago and our town is only 50k people. Never seen it so busy. Full of people who wouldn't normally be there buying things they wouldn't normally buy there. I expect it to get worse tomorrow, Friday the 13th, when people get their mid-month pay.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Reporting from Mexico (Merida): So far everything looks perfectly normal. Full shelves in all shops.
The problem is, there is only 12 reported cases in entire country, and the population is almost 130 million.

Of course I'm not buying that. My guess is that shit is going to hit the fan at some point. They have poor criteria for testing (they don't test anybody unless they just went back from China, Italy or Iran. Lol).
Another possible option is that the heat (temperatures around 35-40 *C) does something to slow down the spread, but IDK.

The problem is my Spanish is very basic and I'm not a citzen. Right now I don't even have a travel insurance. Have to fix that asap.
At the same time, going back to Europe right now doesn't look like a good idea. Interesting times.
Wow, this sounds exactly like the United States......pathetic response and pathetic on the testing.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I stocked up a bit today. Felt kinda silly because nobody else was and the cashier asked if I was buying for a restaurant lol.

I've been reading a lot of accounts across multiple forums of people having a bad case of the flu -- except it wasn't the flu -- since January.

I was originally on the "meh this is overblown" train and still lean on that side, but there's also a tiny part of me that thinks this has been here way longer than most know and that there are X times more cases than are being reported.

I mean 2 NBA players are confirmed to have it (last I know of), out of like 400-500 NBA players, and then Tom Hanks has it, and there are like what, 200 A-list celebs?

If we extrapolate this limited data from those populations and apply it to the general population it doesn't look great. The aforementioned people do travel more, but still. There are 1,200ish confirmed cases in the U.S. based on the source I'm looking at, and 2 of them are All-star NBA players and 1 is Tom Hanks? Just statistically the odds are in favor of this being WAY WAY higher than what's being reported.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
David N. Fisman, an MD at University of Toronto Dalla Lana School of Public Health made a mathematical model of the potential spread of C0VlD-19 within Canada. His Model proposed that 35%-70% of canadians will be infected with C0VlD-19
Sam Harris had Amesh Adalja on the most recent podcast and that was about his estimate (he said half of the US actually) , he was rather hopeful, pointing out that the extensive testing in south korea pins the true fatality rate closer to 0.6% , thats with a functional medical system though.
Drug combo to kill COVID19?
Not the first coronavirus so figners crossed something pops up soon, they have literally hundreds of clinical trials running in china right now.

I'm a nurse so, I'll have plenty of work but...

The stock market this week though? holy shit. I was on a reddit thread just now and like 80% of the replies were people in the hospitality or travel / event industry saying they'll be bankrupt in a months time.

and no way in hell people are going to be able to pay off medical debt with 13% hospitalization rate + 5% ICU , the estate is responsible for medical debt when someone passes. Tthat would be the ultimate irony , it sickens and kills all the people with wealth and all that money goes into the pockets of the private insurance companies

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
Sam Harris had Amesh Adalja on the most recent podcast and that was about his estimate (he said half of the US actually) , he was rather hopeful, pointing out that the extensive testing in south korea pins the true fatality rate closer to 0.6% , thats with a functional medical system though.

Not the first coronavirus so figners crossed something pops up soon, they have literally hundreds of clinical trials running in china right now.

I'm a nurse so, I'll have plenty of work but...

The stock market this week though? holy shit. I was on a reddit thread just now and like 80% of the replies were people in the hospitality or travel / event industry saying they'll be bankrupt in a months time.

and no way in hell people are going to be able to pay off medical debt with 13% hospitalization rate + 5% ICU , the estate is responsible for medical debt when someone passes. Tthat would be the ultimate irony , it sickens and kills all the people with wealth and all that money goes into the pockets of the private insurance companies

Anyone quoting a rate of 0.6% loses my confidence as any sort of authority. I know many people haven’t read this entire thread, but that statistic is based on deaths/infected. The extreme majority of their cases at the moment are listed as active.

If you did deaths/deaths + resolved, right now it is like 19%. That’s way too high though because the average person right now takes 5 weeks to resolve the illness, but sick and fragile people usually succumb quicker so you are front loading deaths.

if you hear anyone say that the death rate in SK is 0.6%, be vary wary of any assumptions or claims they make. Likewise if you hear anyone claim approx 1% from the princess be wary of their claims. These people do not understand epidemiology and should not be trusted.

Juan Pimentel

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jul 10, 2019
Mesa Arizona

Its okay, if you have to paid it very inexpensive. Try to get a local to give you ball park price on doc visits that way docs don’t try to rip you off. Theres a lot of public and private options in Mexico

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
To my Arizona peeps, aparently Mayo will be starting drive through testing tomorrow. I’ll give more details when I get more info. This is good news for the people in Maricopa.

supposedly it’s is a PCR test, which should be very very sensitive even in early infections.

Juan Pimentel

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jul 10, 2019
Mesa Arizona
To my Arizona peeps, aparently Mayo will be starting drive through testing tomorrow. I’ll give more details when I get more info. This is good news for the people in Maricopa.
Thanks for the update i live here in the valley. Better save then sorry

NateKruse

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jan 13, 2018
Jacksonville, North Carolina
I've started self-isolating. I have a history of multiple blood clots in my lungs which reduced my lung function. I also took multiple cycles of an immunosuppressive chemotherapy treatment for my underlying autoimmune disease.

I work on a military base where the mandatory quarantines have been held and today they announced one of the Marines on base tested positive for the virus.

Thanks to this thread I have a good supply of food, toiletries, medication, water, and dog food to minimize my explosure or to self-quarantine if I develop symptoms.

I got permission to telework starting immediately and will be working from home until it seems safe to return.

Last edited:

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
He did sound congested. he doesn’t read well from teleprompters though. I’ve noticed that before.
Makes wonder how many takes they do before they get to the version they release
This was pretty sobering:

View: https://twitter.com/AbraarKaran/status/1236680328875474944

Some takeaways:

- "The first surprise was the speculation by many that the case fatality rate will be much lower once we find all of these “mild” and “asymptomatic” cases, which you don’t as easily pick up early on in an outbreak. Apparently the data @WHO has doesn’t support this theory."

- "The team went back & tested 320,000 samples originally taken for flu and other screening; only 0.5% returned positive. Is this a perfect way to know if we had missed mild/asymptomatic cases? No. But is it another point of data. Yes."

- "Another surprise: the Chinese data where the 80% “mild” cases number comes from —that was not a “mild cold”. That was: you have a fever, possibly even a full pneumonia. Not your run-of-the-mill sniffles."

I think we will see the real truth now that it is in the US and Canada, China hasn't been transparent from the beginning.

1) It spreads way more easily than has been originally told.

2) Under 200 people in Canada at this point have had the virus and today already kids have been tested positive. So for them to go through 320,000 samples and have no one under 20 yeah suspicious.

3) Now we are being told can show symptoms in 5-10 days and be contagious at that time. China was saying 2 weeks incubation period.

Am sure there's more that am missing.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
My son lives in Phoenix and I got him to go out tonight for some basic supplies. He called me when he got back and the description he gave me of his local grocery store (Camelback/Arcadia area) was pandemonium. If you are reading this thread please lay in some basic supplies. It’s not panic to be prudent and prepared. The panic will kick in when it is too late for you to get the basics that you need in the event that you need them. Everything we have purchased we will use.

Drive2Riches

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 18, 2014
Washington
Spectators banned from PGA Tour events until The Masters at this stage, 3 LPGA events cancelled, F1 in Melbourne has been cancelled.
EPL have announced this weekends games will continue as normal, but Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has just tested positive so they may rethink that.
NHL suspended the season!
NBA suspended earlier as well.

Someone asked on a thread I read -- what do I watch now that I have to stay home with the kids?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I stocked up a bit today. Felt kinda silly because nobody else was and the cashier asked if I was buying for a restaurant lol.

I've been reading a lot of accounts across multiple forums of people having a bad case of the flu -- except it wasn't the flu -- since January.

I was originally on the "meh this is overblown" train and still lean on that side, but there's also a tiny part of me that thinks this has been here way longer than most know and that there are X times more cases than are being reported.

I mean 2 NBA players are confirmed to have it (last I know of), out of like 400-500 NBA players, and then Tom Hanks has it, and there are like what, 200 A-list celebs?

If we extrapolate this limited data from those populations and apply it to the general population it doesn't look great. The aforementioned people do travel more, but still. There are 1,200ish confirmed cases in the U.S. based on the source I'm looking at, and 2 of them are All-star NBA players and 1 is Tom Hanks? Just statistically the odds are in favor of this being WAY WAY higher than what's being reported.
There are some good anecdotal reports of people talking about what it's like to survive through the virus. Spoiler: it's not fun.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9oqvJ3iXGI

But these guys aren't who are the ones to really worry about. It's our parents and grandparents and people with underlying conditions. Diabetes, respiratory issues... even obesity. We're just going to be extremely uncomfortable. They can die.

I mean from what I hear this is a really nasty bug regardless. Many cases end in Pneumonia. I've never had Pneumonia but I've heard it really sucks. Regardless.. you might not die, but even if you're healthy catching this thing is really gonna F*ck up your month.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
NHL suspended the season!
NBA suspended earlier as well.

Someone asked on a thread I read -- what do I watch now that I have to stay home with the kids?

E-sports is going to see a surge in viewers needing a sports fix!

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Also XFL cancelled (does anyone watch that?)
Would be fair to assume all sports worldwide will either stop completely or play to empty stadiums, golf for instance, it’s not a tightly confined area and little to no contact with other people so the Tour may continue.

Players Championship cancelled along with next 3 tour events, no word on The Masters yet. Announcement comes only a couple of hours after they said the event would continue without spectators..

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
My son lives in Phoenix and I got him to go out tonight for some basic supplies. He called me when he got back and the description he gave me of his local grocery store (Camelback/Arcadia area) was pandemonium. If you are reading this thread please lay in some basic supplies. It’s not panic to be prudent and prepared. The panic will kick in when it is too late for you to get the basics that you need in the event that you need them. Everything we have purchased we will use.
Yea get supplies before it's complete madness or there's just nothing left.

I went supply shopping about 3 days ago. My friends were busting my balls, telling me to stop overreacting. But I was able to get literally everything on my list including bleach and disinfectant wipes. Now it's a complete madhouse and a lot of things are hard to get; even certain types of food.

Then yesterday I started wearing a mask when I went out. I saw one other guy with a mask and we had a good chuckle talking about how everyone was looking at us funny. Today? Everyone is asking me where they can get masks because now they're too hard to find.

That's a big thing. Don't let social stigma influence what you feel you need to do. This whole time I've had to fight through people being ballbusters. But if you act quick you'll be ahead of the curve and in a much better position than others. In a couple days everyone is gonna look back at those weirdos buying a bunch of food and bleach and have a come-to-jesus moment.

2 of them are All-star NBA players and 1 is Tom Hanks

Breaking News - Photos of Tom Hanks in quarantine surface!

Wilson-balls.jpg

Last edited:

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
Trudeaus wife was just announced as a positive test. Most likely he has it too.

I saw Chris’ chart of infected states and Idaho shows 0. I live in Idaho And I’m almost positive we have community spread - people are getting sick and some think it’s a cold, flu... but they’re not testing for covid. Only 93 tests have been issued in the entire state as of today.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
If they can work from home, you should ask them to quarantine. Just listened to a webinar by SHRM and they talked about the legal implications an employer has to protect their workplace.
Some of her work can be done from home. I can do the other in-office task work during her quarantine. I do think this is the course of action for us. Thanks for the suggestion.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.