The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
How are things at the supermarket when you do go?

They are running normally or there is some sort of system in place?

If you got time it would be great to see you post up some more advice since the situation in Italy is where most of us will probably be in a few weeks. Thanks.

Things at the supermarket are normal, aside from the fact that there weren't many people.

The system in place:

You are forced to take a shopping cart (this is to keep people distant from each other). Also, the gloves you usually use only to purchase fruits are now available right when you enter and you have to wear one to take stuff off the shelves.

At checkout, instead of the typical queue of people, you can't put your purchases on the tape until the person currently being served is done with theirs and has left the checkout area.

All of the staff people wear masks and gloves,

Some shelves were half empty, but overall the supermarket looked like any other typical evening, except there were less people I suppose. But it's a Thursday evening, so it wouldn't be that different under normal circumstances.

As far as advice goes, there's not much more to say that hasn't already been said. Stay at least 1 meter away from other people and don't touch them. Don't leave your house unless it's absolutely necessary, and do NOT visit your relatives, no matter how healthy you feel.

Every time you go out, wash your hands immediately after coming back home. There are videos on how it's best to wash your hands on YouTube, check these out (relevant keywords: Coronavirus washing hands). No lazy hand-washing, please.

Masks are a fine purchase but don't buy too many of them if you are healthy, because there are people out there who really need them, and there aren't enough for everyone if people hoard them. China is sending us some (and some doctors), that's great. Still, don't buy hundreds of masks just because you might need them at some point in the future.

Public transport is still operating. Pharmacies and hospitals are as well, but for the love of God, do NOT go to the hospital unless you absolutely need to, and even more so if you suspect you caught the COVID. Call your doctor or whatever and tell them you might be infected, but don't just show up in the hospital, or you risk turning into a biological weapon for the sick people and the staff there.

The best tactic is isolating yourself from the outside world, so stock up for 3-4 weeks, don't go out (honestly, even if your job requires you to still be present there, consider if it's a risk worth taking...I wouldn't, but I get that the bills aren't going to pay for themselves), and stay strong.

Also, do not show fear...I'm glad people around here are acting normally, and are accepting the situation as what it is. Just accept the fact that it's going to be like this for a while, and get used to it.

That's all I believe. If you have any other question feel free to ask, I'm stuck at my pc 24/7 anyway (not that I wasn't spending most of my time on it already lmao, but you get what I mean).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Our governor just ordered the county I work in to shut down all schools, gyms, recreation centers, etc. for 14 days. Government, grocery stores, gas stations, and other critical infrastructure must remain open.

We have had at least 13 confirmed cases. Most of them were from one doctor who spread it to others at a hospital.

I work in that “critical infrastructure” that has to remain open. I deal with so many people on a daily basis that I’m probably at an increased risk. We have been ordered not to enter homes that report possible symptoms of the virus unless it’s a life threatening situation.

I worry more about my kids since they go to daycare. I don’t want to pass it onto them or them get it from some person bringing their infected kid in because they have to go to work. When my daughter first started daycare when she was 3-months old, she was always sick and bringing it home to us.

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Things at the supermarket are normal, aside from the fact that there weren't many people.

The system in place:

You are forced to take a shopping cart (this is to keep people distant from each other). Also, the gloves you usually use only to purchase fruits are now available right when you enter and you have to wear one to take stuff off the shelves.

At checkout, instead of the typical queue of people, you can't put your purchases on the tape until the person currently being served is done with theirs and has left the checkout area.

All of the staff people wear masks and gloves,

Some shelves were half empty, but overall the supermarket looked like any other typical evening, except there were less people I suppose. But it's a Thursday evening, so it wouldn't be that different under normal circumstances.

As far as advice goes, there's not much more to say that hasn't already been said. Stay at least 1 meter away from other people and don't touch them. Don't leave your house unless it's absolutely necessary, and do NOT visit your relatives, no matter how healthy you feel.

Every time you go out, wash your hands immediately after coming back home. There are videos on how it's best to wash your hands on YouTube, check these out (relevant keywords: Coronavirus washing hands). No lazy hand-washing, please.

Masks are a fine purchase but don't buy too many of them if you are healthy, because there are people out there who really need them, and there aren't enough for everyone if people hoard them. China is sending us some (and some doctors), that's great. Still, don't buy hundreds of masks just because you might need them at some point in the future.

Public transport is still operating. Pharmacies and hospitals are as well, but for the love of God, do NOT go to the hospital unless you absolutely need to, and even more so if you suspect you caught the COVID. Call your doctor or whatever and tell them you might be infected, but don't just show up in the hospital, or you risk turning into a biological weapon for the sick people and the staff there.

The best tactic is isolating yourself from the outside world, so stock up for 3-4 weeks, don't go out (honestly, even if your job requires you to still be present there, consider if it's a risk worth taking...I wouldn't, but I get that the bills aren't going to pay for themselves), and stay strong.

Also, do not show fear...I'm glad people around here are acting normally, and are accepting the situation as what it is. Just accept the fact that it's going to be like this for a while, and get used to it.

That's all I believe. If you have any other question feel free to ask, I'm stuck at my pc 24/7 anyway (not that I wasn't spending most of my time on it already lmao, but you get what I mean).

Thank you, this is a great post with real intel and lots of things everyone else on here can use to prepare.

You sound upbeat with a good mentality.

What are you doing for exercise/entertainment?

LightningHelix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 26, 2015
Guys, I'm not "anti-corona" or "this is a hoax" or anything like that, but are people really surprised that this is spreading? It's a novel virus without a current vaccine. It's supposed to spread.

Most of the panic is stirred from the media. Back when SARS was big, stores shelves were emptied as well. This is nothing new... Take your normal precautions as you would during flu season. There's no need for people to turn into data scientists and extrapolate data.

I think we are all still trying to get an idea how dangerous this is. Data is about the only thing we have to evaluate the danger outside of getting wrapped up in a subjective debate about how dangerous it is.

Most important aspects to determine how dangerous this is the infection rate and mortality rate.

Because the truth is nobody knows just on a whim.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Orange County, California
Our governor just ordered the county I work in to shut down all schools, gyms, recreation centers, etc. for 14 days. Government, grocery stores, gas stations, and other critical infrastructure must remain open.

We have had at least 13 confirmed cases. Most of them were from one doctor who spread it to others at a hospital.

I work in that “critical infrastructure” that has to remain open. I deal with so many people on a daily basis that I’m probably at an increased risk. We have been ordered not to enter homes that report possible symptoms of the virus unless it’s a life threatening situation.

I worry more about my kids since they go to daycare. I don’t want to pass it onto them or them get it from some person bringing their infected kid in because they have to go to work. When my daughter first started daycare when she was 3-months old, she was always sick and bringing it home to us.
Which state is that ?

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
What are you doing for exercise/entertainment?

I've always played videogames and read books for entertainment, so nothing has changed for me, entertainment-wise.

I have a jumping rope that I have been neglecting for some time, so I took it out today and used it and jumped until my legs begged me to stop. I'm lucky because I have some space between my house and the street. If you have a small garden or just like, 3-4meters between your house and the street you can absolutely do this. I 100% suggest getting a jumping rope if you can afford to exercise with it (there might be space or noise issues if you live in an apartment).

A big Italian YT channel about fitness released a video today specifically catered to home exercises since the guy's gym is (obviously) closed. He suggests buying elastic resistance bands (there are bundles of them on Amazon and don't cost much), and to exercise with them + some classic bodyweight exercises (pushups and crunches are great, especially if you don't have access to usual gym equipment).

More generally, look into bodyweight exercises. They don't require accessories and don't require much space, plus most of them can be done inside.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
In January, my entire household got wiped out with a sickness that lasted for three weeks. Vicious, headaches, cough and cold, respiratory system. We all got over it but it was one of the worst sicknesses any of us have ever had. Tested for the flu but the test came back negative.
Christmas for us. I infected the entire family, with the exception, thank God, of my brother that has diminished lung function due to valley fever.

It lasted unusually long. Damn near a month before it was totally gone. Maybe I'm lucky and we've already had it, still going heavy on that hand sanitizer just in case though.

On orders from my wife, I went and wiped out the shelves of a few homeopathic items recommended by my kids' pediatrician. Guy is an MD and whatnot, but I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing. I kinda think I bought a $150 placebo.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
I’ve been debating buying a couple 10L/min O2 concentrators.

My parents are older mid 70’s and anyone could get sick. I just worry if we ran into an Italy situation where there were limiting care to older people who are sicker, I could just try to take care of them myself.

I’ve heard pundits talk about this in TV and say why it could not happen in the US, but I have been in triage situations where there were like 100 casualties, and the rules of care just change. If you can’t save everyone you save the ones that are most likely to survive. What other option do you have, it’s not like medical care is an infinite resource.

It is a little bit of any investment, but one that if needed would be a lifeline and nothing else could take it’s place.

if this all blows over I could probably resell them as new unused and recoup 60-75% of the cost

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jun 12, 2019
Colleges and universities in my city shut down yesterday. We have no cases in our city or region (I'm located in the U.S.).

My university was canceled for the week and classes are moved online for the entire rest of the semester.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I literally was scheduled to come to Dublin tomorrow. We called it off yesterday because of the risk of getting trapped overseas. It was a bummer big time.
I have a close associate who made the same call today. He was headed to London for a week, then Ireland. At least the airline is giving him credit for the tickets so he can reschedule.

BlindSide

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Mar 16, 2017
Los Angeles
I live in a house with 4 others. My roommate just came in and mentioned that he has a cough and his chest hurts.

I hate how on edge this puts you!

This leads me to another dumb question: if worst case scenario, we all 5 get it, is our situation worse? I saw that China doctors died from the exposure, is that correct? So are my chances of death higher due to more “infected” in my living area?

Hope that makes sense. I have no clue where I’d go to “quarantine,” because we are all quarantined together.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Well this escalated quickly. I think there's only 2 confirmed cases in Ottawa and within the last hour I found out that:

- My Disney on Ice tickets we won for the kids that was schedule for tomorrow are cancelled
- Schools are closed until April (extending march break by 2 weeks)

Was at the grocery store and saw some ridiculous stuff like someone with an entire cart of bottled water, the flour aisle was decimated, canned goods were almost all gone, everyone had toilet paper in their carts...

On a funny note - the deal of the day at the cash was a hand sanitizer.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
"The directive applies to all employees whose work requires them to be in an office, store, fulfillment center or in vehicles making deliveries. "

So no more Amazon deliveries for anyone?

That's a bummer for my order that I placed on March 4 and they never shipped.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Hmm..well there are 382 in the Netherlands and just found two in Michigan. :(
I have to say I'm impressed with Michigan. Only two cases and locking down schools etc fast. I just signed a petition in the Netherlands because they're not taking enough action and it's spreading fast in one week now 613 I think since the last time I posted. My son's college in Michigan closed down today, and I see U of M and Sate of Michigan and others as well. Glad they're being smart there.

And then of course this banning of flights scared me at first, but it says U.S. can go home just not other people. We'll see. But yes, Germany Up as Well. I don't think they did the right thing over here. But, we'll see how it pans out.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So no more Amazon deliveries for anyone?

That's what I gathered, but that might be mis-reported in the article. Doesn't seem feasible and there is no mention on the Amazon website that orders/shipments have stopped.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
That's what I gathered, but that might be mis-reported in the article. Doesn't seem feasible and there is no mention on the Amazon website that orders/shipments have stopped.
Yeah, I think its fake news. "Way to go, MSNBC", if so.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I suggest you do get some gloves if at all possible because when your family is sick and handling body fluids just as precaution. I know hand washing is good, but just easier to handle things without worrying about spreading stuff.

Then keep clear liquids on hand like Jell-O, Water, Juice, Soup, anything you can see through and keep hydrated. Most important part of the whole thing is your liquids. Popsicles, Pudding Pops, Ice Cream.

We used bleach and water to wipe off counter tops and bathrooms daily in a spray bottle and kept it good. Pine-sol for floors.

Hope that's helpful if needed.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The article actually said "employees ... who are able" (so that wouldn't include delivery workers)

“As a result, we are now recommending that all of our employees globally who are able to work from home do so through the end of March.”
Unlike employees at Amazon’s corporate offices, many fulfillment center employees and delivery drivers cannot carry out their job duties while working from home.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
That's what I gathered, but that might be mis-reported in the article.

I read the article and it seemed to contradict itself.

I think what it's TRYING to say is that anyone capable of working from home should do so, those who can't (such as delivery and warehouse) get access to a sick fund.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Orange County, California

Is this lady out of her mind? Is it possible OHIO has more cases than China, post New Years spread? Seems unbelievable To me.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA

Is this lady out of her mind? Is it possible OHIO has more cases than China, post New Years spread? Seems unbelievable To me.
I think that's entirely possible. See this article:

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

Here in Seattle, we tried to get our kid tested for it. (She has the symptoms). The urgent care we went to only had 6 swabs given to them. They had already been used up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.