The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The power of control

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
This is pretty scary stuff for slowlaners and I feel bad for these people...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-...l-spending-cuts-1-000-jobs-on-oil-prices.html

Suncor cuts 1,000 jobs, takes $1-billion out of 2015 budget

This is a prime example of how ANYTHING can happen at ANY time and you have absolutely NO control over it whatsover. I've worked at companies where people had 20, 30, 40 years of experience and thought they were invincible, but they got cut loose and bc they've been doing the same brainless tasks on a daily for decades, they had no skills to even find a new job. They were counting down the days until their corporate pension kicked in, until the shaft came down on them and poof gone.

The same applies to business. If you're not in control, either GET in control or GET OUT. I've been burnt many times in the past bc I didn't have full control over my businesses...I sank so fast I had no idea what had just happened.

This is just a reminder to y'all...can't stress how important control is in the CENTS formula.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
How much control would be required or necessary in business to know you don't go down on others whims? Is it a bad idea to have a business partner?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I've watched this happen plenty of times in Michigan being one of the Iron Belt states. Plenty of people were enrolling in my business college in their 50's and 60's because they needed to pay bills.

G

Guest3722A

I've watched this happen plenty of times in Michigan being one of the Iron Belt states. Plenty of people were enrolling in my business college in their 50's and 60's because they needed to pay bills.
Let me guess... former auto workers or worked for a company that catered to automotive?

Where at one time pay was $34-70+ an hr with all that overtime pay and now these jobs have recycled into workers who accept $12-14 hr.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Let me guess... former auto workers or worked for a company that catered to automotive?

Where at one time pay was $34-70+ an hr with all that overtime pay and now these jobs have recycled into workers who accept $12-14 hr.

Hmm...that's about right. A lot of them were automotive. Life Savers though was different. I believe they went to Canada, not positive. Michigan was a lot of automotive across the board. And even when I graduated in 2011 from College, they told us to leave the state, because Michigan was just going down hill. And sure, enough after I got to the Netherlands, Detroit went downhill. lol I know some of those factory workers work through temp services for maybe $7.50 and hour. If you're lucky, you might get hired in for $12-$14. Most of the time, they get in the trap of temp services allowing them to work 6 months or less and keep changing the job, so you don't get hired in.

G

Guest3722A

Hmm...that's about right. A lot of them were automotive. Life Savers though was different. I believe they went to Canada, not positive. Michigan was a lot of automotive across the board. And even when I graduated in 2011 from College, they told us to leave the state, because Michigan was just going down hill. And sure, enough after I got to the Netherlands, Detroit went downhill. lol I know some of those factory workers work through temp services for maybe $7.50 and hour. If you're lucky, you might get hired in for $12-$14. Most of the time, they get in the trap of temp services allowing them to work 6 months or less and keep changing the job, so you don't get hired in.
I am painfully familiar with that nightmare trap of the temp services out here! I feel sorry for those people. If you are still in contact with anyone who may be struggling, and if they're willing to take the low dollar amounts, nursing home jobs are everywhere and basically pay people to play bingo and watch movies!

But honestly, if any of them have green thumbs, I've got a buddy who grossed $250k last year growing. And the State of Michigan website has a list of patients seeking caregivers. ( :

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
nursing home jobs

Yes, there are a lot of them. The one's that are actual nursing homes may pay you $12.00 or more an hour. I had to go back into that after my degree, because the degree didn't pay off in my location at the time. I was in home-care, those one's have a game going on. They tell you they'll hire you 40 hours a week, give you that for one week, and then give you 8-10 hours a week after that, while still posting they need workers on job sites for $7.50 and hour. I left one for that reason after several months. Other aides and I were talking and figured that out.

The other one gave me twenty hours a week for $12.00 and hour. One place before these two, told me I was hired, and went through the whole process of finger printing, etc, and then the day I was supposed to show up, one person died, and they didn't need anyone now. lol I could tell you some stories. You also have to pass a background check, drug test, credit check, and finger printing for some of these health services. You basically have to have a clean record. Just for my degree, I had to have four background checks. Ha ha! And even the Netherlands has my hand print, and background check for here. This world wants to know you're a good citizen. lol

It was either pay $800 dollars and get a nurse aide certificate or bail and come to the Netherlands and try to start my own business. Fortunately, they don't want to do the full-time so much anymore so they don't have to pay benefits. I was one for Seven years before I went back to college. The goal to get a better job and that didn't payoff like M.J. talks about. You end up with a degree and debt, and low paying job out of your area.
The pay for mental health was $7.50 and hour for 16 hours a week. Same thing there, they want part timers so no benefits. And driving five hours a way for five hours to get paid more is ridiculous. You'd waste your money on gas.

Doing in home care I had to pay for the gas to go to people's houses. They don't pay for that, or your vehicle expenses. I'd spend half of my paycheck in gas and insurance.

The growers I'm not aware of, but I do know there are tons of people needing jobs, but most of them play victim to much and won't go apply. You tell them how to do things, but they just are so negative that they don't understand they're preventing themselves. It's easier to blame the rich guys why they are where they are. And some of them enjoy living off the welfare. Then there are just as many trying to get out of it their circumstances. I've seen all kinds on my internship. And even corporate people that have fallen or business owners that thrived for many years, but lost everything.

Many small businesses went out of business in my area since 2008, houses foreclosed. Even the guys that built condo's, I believe some are still empty, although I haven't been home for a year and half. I live in a wealthier area, and probably weathered the storm more then surrounding areas.

It's quite something else to see things from different perspectives. Slow lane and wealthy do a lot for the community.

It will be interesting to see what happens the next five to ten years in Michigan and well as the United States. I know I talk to lots of people that need jobs, or struggling. I just told someone again yesterday, to read M.J.'s book. The only thing I know how to do it teach them the same thing, stop following the herd. I think many people are finding out that it's not working. The best thing you can do is look out for yourself. And that sounds selfish, but I think you have to, to survive in this world. No one's going to look after you.

G

Guest3722A

The other one gave me twenty hours a week for $12.00 and hour. One place before these two, told me I was hired, and went through the whole process of finger printing, etc, and then the day I was supposed to show up, one person died, and they didn't need anyone now. lol I could tell you some stories. You also have to pass a background check, drug test, credit check, and finger printing for some of these health services. You basically have to have a clean record. Just for my degree, I had to have four background checks. Ha ha! And even the Netherlands has my hand print, and background check for here. This world wants to know you're a good citizen. lol
Ain't that the truth! As a licensed hazmat driver of explosive things, I had to go through an fbi check, psych eval, prints, drug screens, physicals, balancing acts carrying weight across 2x6 boards...etc. The hoops can be something else, but strangely I enjoyed being put to the test and passing.

The pay with driving isn't bad but being away from home for weeks can wear on a person. I've met many husband and wife teams on the road in the past and they were seemingly happy people for the most part. Driving gigs are everywhere too if someone really needs something, but I highly suggest staying away from hazmat!!!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Yes, it didn't really bother me, because I passed all the screening, but I can see how some get frustrated with the process if they haven't been raised in middle class. I seen a lot of people without high school diplomas just totally give up on themselves and think it's to hard. If they haven't gotten past the diploma or G.E.D., they don't know how to use the pc, fill out apps online, or even write a resume.

I know some people that truck drive, and they say the same thing as you. I suppose people create their reality, and they have a hard time accepting another belief system then what they've been told. Middle class doesn't promise the millionaire fast lane, but they do have at least the advantage of knowing some things to survive in society that lower class hasn't learned.

Which goes back to what I learned in Ruby Payne training. Each class has a different set of rules. And I remember when we took the quiz whether we would survive in each one, most of the class failed the upper class. lol You wouldn't think it would be that big of a difference in mindset, and life style, but it is. The thing is anyone can get out of it, it just depends on the individual.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.