• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

NOTABLE! The little things are important!

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Kak, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,044
    Many talk about not giving a f*ck... I think you should give a f*ck.

I can not stand when an individual holds themselves out as a professional, or an expert in their field and they can't even string a proper sentence together. We have spell checks and grammar checks on EVERYTHING except handwritten letters. There is no excuse for this incompetence.

Even though entrepreneurship and the unscripted mindset places a lesser emphasis on formal education, being an educated individual is still paramount.

If you interact with people, you absolutely must speak and write intelligently. Show others that you take yourself and your business seriously.

What are some other little things that you believe are important?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Santi Merino, SMH, Hijena1 and 45 others like this.
  2. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke I am here for your DATA. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,971
    all i wanted was some book suggestions how do i contact the person in charge

Bdenner64, Xeon, G-Man and 5 others like this.
  3. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $64,979
    Reading and responding to the ENTIRETY of a message.

I've gone back and forth with my factory a few times now where I've gotten half answers and/or it was clear they glossed over my message. I've gotten responses back that are embarrassingly inappropriate, if they READ what I sent them.

And it's not just them - it's EVERY professional I email.

I'll take the 10 minutes to write a very clear message with questions that need answering and I'll get a 5 word reply that ignores 80% of my concerns. Or answers only one of 3 questions. Or just not answer at all.

I tend to call most folks these days because it's gotten so bad.

It's like the entire world has forgotten (or never learned) how to formulate a reply based on the content of a message received.

SMH, bytecode, Rodrickee and 35 others like this.
  4. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,044
    REP+ You are so right. This is unbelievably true. This slows business down tremendously. Calling, as you have said here, is becoming necessary for most interactions that should have been handled quickly via email.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Deceiver, Storm24, Bdenner64 and 11 others like this.
  5. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $27,044
    Look professional when conducting business with people you don't know.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    The_Saphir, Brad Fisher, Supa and 6 others like this.
  6. Ronak

Ronak Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $7,720

Basic etiquette.
    Just last night, I was chatting with a China supplier when the sales person tried to Skype call me. It was 10:34pm. I rejected the call. Ok, honest mistake, no problem. Immediately after, it happens again. I make it clear that we will communicate via e-mail and Skype.

Around 3:40am, I'm checking email after getting up to go to the bathroom. Once again, this person tries to call. I remind them that it's the middle of the night where I am. Response, "Sorry. I will call you at 9am your time".

This is someone who deals with international clients and is supposed to know about things like time differences and reading comprehension.

Needless to say, this person has been blocked and this just cost the company potentially six figures in business.

7. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $162,053
    Good old fashioned manners. It’s so easy to have manners that rudeness riles me up instantly.

8. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $64,979
    As a sales person I had a time zone map on my wall at all times.

Even if I was just calling 1 or 2 hours ahead or behind my local time I'd refer to it to make sure I wasn't calling at 7am or noon or 7pm or whatever.

There is a laundry list of frustrations like this I have with people that I never would have thought even required training on.

If you haven't watched the movie "Idiocracy" I highly suggest it. Not only is it hilarious, but it also paints a negative version of the future that seems less and less like fiction every day.

The_Saphir, Supa, CareCPA and 8 others like this.
  9. RobD88

RobD88 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,625
    I couldn't agree more. Communicating clearly with a semblence of intelligence is paramount for me. I think of Gary Vaynerchuk as an example. I know he is wildly successful and a popular expert in digital marketing. I find myself listening to him from time to time but all of the "like this" and "like that" and misuse of the word "literally" and constant use of the phrase "binary" like literally bugs the crap out of my binary brain.

Other details I think are important:
    Be on time
    Do what you say you are going to do
    If you don't understand something completely, ask questions
    Take responsibility for your mistakes
    Use common sense
    Don't make things more complex than they need to be

guirren, SMH, Tommo and 12 others like this.
  10. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $27,044
    Answer the phone.

I have a deal with everyone that works for me or with me: “Call me at any hour of any day if you need me.”

I make myself available to everyone that needs me. If I can’t answer I always shoot a quick text explaining when I can return the call.

This obviously won’t be the case forever, but at this point, I am happy to do it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    SMH, TopChef, ChrisR and 14 others like this.
  11. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $102
    Not for everyone English is the mother tongue ..

ZF Lee and RobD88 like this.
  12. RobD88

RobD88 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,625
    Very true. My wife, from Colombia S.A., often states "I'm very intelligent in Spanish. I promise!". :)

guirren and amp0193 like this.
  13. Walter Hay

Walter Hay Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $58,072
    When running my importing business with franchises spread across four countries, I was working with franchisees in many different time zones. My role was primarily to provide advice on those occasions when the Operations Manual didn't help with a new or unusual question.

My working days were long, and all franchisees were notified which hours in their time zone were the times they could call me but this didn't work. I began getting calls at all hours, and I put a stop to it by requiring that calls must come to my dedicated cell phone number only.

I switched it off when I was not willing or able to take their calls. Calls from the franchisees to my regular number were barred.

This was a simple solution and could be used by all those who have international dealings or even across large countries where time zones can differ substantially.

Although frustrating at first, being woken in the early hours of the morning, I understood that when an urgent problem suddenly strikes, the last thing people will think is: "What time is it at Walter's place?"

Think positively about problems and frustrations, rather than reacting negatively.

Walter

14. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $352,662
    Admin Post
    Every week I get translation inquiries for my books.

Very few are worth responding to...

Short one sentence inquiries, terrible grammar, etc.

Just an example...

hey i really liked Fastlane how much does the license cost to translate in my country i live in Brazil.

Now I understand that if English is your second language, you get EXTREME latitude.

However if you're suggesting to translate a book-- which is a business-- you'd better approach it as professional as you can. If you can't punctuate one English sentence and put together a reasonable proposal, why should I trust you to translate, produce, and distribute a 300 page book?

If this is the effort you put forth in asking about a license, what could I expect in your translation process?

guirren, calm, Santi Merino and 20 others like this.
  15. Ninjakid

Ninjakid Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,646
    Character. There seems to be a growing idea especially in the minds of young overly-ambitious guys new to entrepreneurship that you need to be a dick to succeed. They admire people you use lies and anti-social behaviour to get what they want out from others. I find these types repulsive. I admire the people who seek to do the most amount of good, and become successful by being a force of positivity.

EDIT: @Andy Black is an example that you can be successful and still a great guy.

16. WJK

WJK Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,812
    For me, it's a huge thing. My ire is for people who, in my Grandfather's words, "ain't got no respect." I'm talking about their obvious contempt for the hard work, persistence and grit it takes to build a viable business. I get VERY tired of people who think that success is a magic, instant formula that they are just going to fall into. It's an insufferable arrogance.

17. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $47,666
    Promises.

Be careful saying that you're going to do something in the future, unless you're 100% that it will be done as you said.

And then do it. All of it.

Even for little things like, "I'll get back to you tomorrow".

guirren, Ika, Pakshaheen and 12 others like this.
  18. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,917
    This can apply to ANY language that you use for a medium of communication.

On Upwork, I discovered that it is not about the service.

It is about the attitude of providing the value that you said you can deliver. How you deliver value. That is what people actually pay for. The type of service? It is a mere commodity.

You said you can format in X way? Deliver X way.

So you said you can that video soaring to 10,000 views? Deliver the video that hits the number.

That is why I choose not to take too many gigs all at once. So I can make fewer, but more concentrated promises/decisions. :cool:

I had another interview for work on Upwork.

The client asked me, 'When can we have the interview?'

I looked at his country of origin on the Upwork monitor, hit google to compare time zones, and said something this:

'Well, I am free within 8-10pm within my country's time zone. In your country, that would be XXXX time. Within that time frame, what would be the best time for you?'

Chances are, the other person from the other side of the world wouldn't like to take the time to calculate which country has what time differences.

Provide it clearly for them to make decisions easier.
    And yes, I prefer booking fixed meetings. Time is a resource for both sides. Might as well spend it carefully, and help the other party do it too.

When both sides are able to do work easier, a milk run is guaranteed.

guirren, calm, Storm24 and 5 others like this.
  19. Red

Red Nigerian Lottery Prince Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $19,804
    This.

If I can't count on you to follow through on the little things, I sure as hell am not trusting you with anything of any substance.

Funny enough... this is how I weeded out a *ton* of men back when I was actively dating.....

20. Tommo

Tommo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,125
    There is rarely any excuse for unpunctuality in business. It's like an unspoken message that your time isn't as valuable as the latecomers time.
    Do what you say you are going to do is a great motto to live by.
    Bad manners get me riled too.

21. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $167,312
    I went to this restaurant over the weekend and left them a 1 star review. Moto Sushi - Phoenix, AZ

I wrote this review about them on Yelp.

First, the menu states if you order something and it's too spicy, tough sh*t, no returns or exchanges. This tells me that the owner puts the onus on the customer to understand their spicy scale. I knew that this was a bad sign already before ordering.

Second, the Dragon roll, Eel roll and Spicy Tuna Rolls says market price. None of these rolls had any lobster or crab in them. So seriously, what ingredient in fluctuates so much that it needs to be market price? This told me that the owner was a cheap a$$.

Third, They reserve the right to add tip? And good food takes time? Basically making excuses for poor service and saying that their waitresses get stiffed alot because of it.

Then on top of all this the food wasn't great, portions sucks and service was slow. It boggles my mind how this place has stayed in business for over 5 years.

Menu screen capture
    Untitled.png

SMH, Storm24, startinup and 16 others like this.
  22. Tommo

Tommo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,125
    I was buying fish and chips at the beach with the family recently and the owner who was serving said to me " If you haven't got enough chips then come back and I'll give you some more" He also gave us free tomato ketchup packets. Would I go back there again. hell yeah.
    He came over to our table and said to my wife, "Did he tell you, you can have more chips if you want them". Awesome customer service.

SMH, ZF Lee, ChrisR and 8 others like this.
  23. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $27,044
    REP+ Very good post. Proper long-term business is only conducted from a win-win standpoint. Being an a**hole, screwing people over, being dishonest, unethical, or generally not holding up their end of the deal will eventually bite these folks in the a$$.

SMH, Ninjakid, Bdenner64 and 7 others like this.
  24. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $352,662
    Admin Post
    It also sounds like they're being bitchy for the sake of a USP. But their gripes feel genuine, like they legitimately mean "Don't touch the FN blinds, even if you're blinded by the sun while eating your sushi."

ChrisR, Bdenner64, Supa and 3 others like this.
  25. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille CAUTION! I hurt people's feelings... Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $38,983
    If you're looking for work on Facebook job groups...

1) Stop telling people what you won't do.
    2) Stop telling people what you want.
    3) Start showing people what you can do for their business.
    4) Use proper spelling and grammar.
    5) Secure your profile or update your pictures from the gang signs and mug shots to something with a smile.

All this stuff applies to freelancers and other B2B ventures too.