The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The lifestyle, hobbies, and fun thread.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
This past weekend we took a trip to Bandelier National Monument in northern New Mexico. The site is located in a beautiful canyon and protects Ancestral Puebloan petroglyphs, cave dwellings, and masonry structures. Really neat to see a glimpse of how people lived hundreds of years ago; very thought provoking.

678.JPG
657.JPG

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
This past weekend we took a trip to Bandelier National Monument in northern New Mexico. The site is located in a beautiful canyon and protects Ancestral Puebloan petroglyphs, cave dwellings, and masonry structures. Really neat to see a glimpse of how people lived hundreds of years ago; very thought provoking.

Damn, imagine being a pizza delivery boy in the year 1200 and having to climb that ladder.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Ironically most of the stuff in this thread can be enjoyed for free.

Hahaha. I noticed that.

I saw Bruno Mars in Vegas two Saturdays ago. I was going to share a picture of that, but Bruno kidnapped our phones and sang a happy little song about doing it to.

I ate dinner at a restaurant at the top of Mandalay Bay. I took a picture of my overpriced filet, but shrinkflation means I received a petit filet not worth bragging about. Look at this funny little thing. Tasted good though.

PXL_20230605_033053073.jpg

And the show was amazing. Dude actually had me dancing, and Bizydad don't dance.

Here's the view from the bar. I was too busy watching the sunset to snap a pic, the thought to take this came a few minutes later.

PXL_20230605_025247760.jpg

Anyways, the real reason I am posting is because of this:

PXL_20230613_213533704.jpg

I just got out of my signing. Finally set up a family trust. Feels like I leveled up an achievement in the gamification of life. Am I finally a grown up?

Probably not, I'm still giggling like a kid about doing this.

More than anything it feels good to not be putting life on hold anymore because of a lack of time/money/energy/commitment.

We only get one shot at this folks. Make your moments count Fastlane Fam.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Here's a fun little project I put together recently.

I've always been pretty big into retro gaming - I own a bunch of old systems but almost never break them out anymore due to the inconvenience and upkeep required. I've tried PC emulation in the past but I never liked sitting in front of a monitor to play games and hooking a computer up to the TV just felt awkward. I've looked into raspberry pi options in the past but there were questions about performance that always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Recently I stumbled across an open source project called "MiSTer FPGA" that piqued my interest. FPGA stands for "Field Programmable Gate Array" which is essentially a chip that can be programmed to mimic other hardware configurations. So instead of running software on a computer to emulate a Super Nintendo (for example), it uses the FPGA to mimic the hardware configuration of an SNES directly - no software running at all. The only software in the whole setup is essentially the minimalist menu system.

The result is I can now play thousands of classic games from dozens of different systems on any TV over HDMI. It takes up less room than a tissue box so it travels easily. It's probably one of my favorite entertainment purchases I've ever made.

I put together a rather janky video to demo it to some friends of mine, so forgive the quality/production:

View attachment Mister Demo-1.mp4

Photos of the device "naked" and with it's case:

Mister-naked1.jpgMister-naked2.jpg
Mister.jpg

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States

I've always been pretty big into retro gaming - I own a bunch of old systems but almost never break them out anymore due to the inconvenience and upkeep required. I've tried PC emulation in the past but I never liked sitting in front of a monitor to play games and hooking a computer up to the TV just felt awkward. I've looked into raspberry pi options in the past but there were questions about performance that always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Recently I stumbled across an open source project called "MiSTer FPGA" that piqued my interest. FPGA stands for "Field Programmable Gate Array" which is essentially a chip that can be programmed to mimic other hardware configurations. So instead of running software on a computer to emulate a Super Nintendo (for example), it uses the FPGA to mimic the hardware configuration of an SNES directly - no software running at all. The only software in the whole setup is essentially the minimalist menu system.

The result is I can now play thousands of classic games from dozens of different systems on any TV over HDMI. It takes up less room than a tissue box so it travels easily. It's probably one of my favorite entertainment purchases I've ever made.

I put together a rather janky video to demo it to some friends of mine, so forgive the quality/production:

View attachment 49301

View attachment 49319View attachment 49320
View attachment 49321
Pretty cool! Does it save progress?

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 4, 2019

View attachment 49301

View attachment 49321
That's sweet! Does you just use USB controllers?

I think I would miss blowing in cartridges and chalky N64 joysticks though. :rofl:

I still have my Sega Genesis and N64. I play my N64 more than xbox. Can't beat Mario Kart with a few friends.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

My two main hobbies are swimming and playing guitar. I've been back in the pool this summer and trying to hit some best times. Recently got back under 30 for my 50 breaststroke :) haven't done that since club in college - this is yards. We have a meet in meters next month.

Home lap pool is a dream goal..

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Every summer my county puts on a luxury home show and my neighborhood always has 3 or 4 houses being featured. This one is about 12,000 square foot and had a man cave -- if I ever bought another exotic car, I would just use it as ART like this.

View attachment IMG_2840.MOV

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

View attachment 49301

View attachment 49321
That's Cool!

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Every summer my county puts on a luxury home show and my neighborhood always has 3 or 4 houses being featured. This one is about 12,000 square foot and had a man cave -- if I ever bought another exotic car, I would just use it as ART like this.

View attachment 49339
That classic car!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Near Idaho Falls in 2021, we spotted this osprey nest on top of the pole and stopped to take some pics. I got the long lens out and we start walking toward the pole. The mom took off from the nest and began flying toward us. I stopped to get a action shot and Kathy kept walking even though I warned her. The mom kept flying toward Kathy. Fortunately the bird turned away from Kathy, I thought she was a goner for a few seconds there. The mother osprey did find something for her young ones to eat besides my wife.

Attachments

• 229747361_10226068674321217_119471349442844518_n.jpg
    229747361_10226068674321217_119471349442844518_n.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Another house on the luxury home tour, this one had a full basketball court complete with ball return, automatic hoop leveling, and an upstairs gym. Hard to fathom this is in a house.

View attachment IMG_2842.MOV

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Chasing views on my bike.

I think every person has something that bring genuine feeling of happiness. It’s hard to explain how or why, but I feel so happy, relaxed, joyful when I’m on my bike. It’s not just the exercise, as I don’t get same feeling from running, swimming or golfing etc. Only cycling! So much joy … and views are a bonus you earn by climbing up hills and mountains.

IMG_0342.jpeg

Yula

Go Small, Then Big or Go Home
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Mar 26, 2021
Netherlands
Does anyone own an electric bike? Any brand recommendations?
Van Moof and Cowboy are both fantastic e-bikes. They’re both Dutch brands so I’m not sure if they deliver to the US.

Sirrom

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
374%
Dec 5, 2020
Van Moof and Cowboy are both fantastic e-bikes. They’re both Dutch brands so I’m not sure if they deliver to the US.
They do. They are scaling at an insane pace right now.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Pretty cool! Does it save progress?

Depends what you mean.

Any game with the ability to save will allow you to save like you would normally be able to on original hardware.

But not every "core" (what they call the various systems) has the option to do what's called a "save state", which would be like an instant save regardless of what the game originally allowed. The NES core allows save states, but the SNES core doesn't for example. It's very core specific.

One reason for this is because most core designers care deeply about accurate reproduction of the original hardware (which don't have save states). Another major reason is because it isn't always feasible - some cores are absolutely massive and take up just about 100% of the available FPGA capabilities with no room left to spare for such a feature so you'd have to give up some aspect of accuracy to implement it. Also, and this is more of a technical issue, hardware is harder to snapshot than software (hardware runs things simultaneously while software does everything in order).

Does you just use USB controllers?

Yup.

Some people even use "USB to SNAC" adapters to allow them to use original hardware with the MiSTer (like a light gun, running pad, an original controller etc). You can also get bluetooth and 2.4ghz wireless controllers working through a USB dongle - which is what I use with my various 8bitdo brand controllers.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Another house on the luxury home tour, this one had a full basketball court complete with ball return, automatic hoop leveling, and an upstairs gym. Hard to fathom this is in a house.

View attachment 49367
I see pickleball lines on the court! Been playing a lot of it lately. That’s my goal to have an indoor ball court. Doesn’t need to be full court like that one.

Been playing a lot of pickleball lately.

Btw side note, if you want to meet/network with a bunch high net worth individuals. Go play pickleball in an expensive neighborhood.

IMG_2063.jpeg

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
That’s my goal to have an indoor ball court.

Just make sure the house you buy has the right surface.

Our indoor basketball court uses some type of plastic laminate for the surface (not wood) which is common in sub-basement basketball courts. When pickleballs land on this surface, they often don't bounce correctly and just flat die. My wife and I can't really play decent pickleball on our indoor court because of the floor surface, so we have to go to the public parks.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just make sure the house you buy has the right surface.

Our indoor basketball court uses some type of plastic laminate for the surface (not wood) which is common in sub-basement basketball courts. When pickleballs land on this surface, they often don't bounce correctly and just flat die. My wife and I can't really play decent pickleball on our indoor court because of the floor surface, so we have to go to the public parks.
That's good to know. I will make it a pickleball court first and basketball court second.

I play here at the grammar school gym which is a basketball court in the basement. The ball bounces decent on it. If you aren't getting enough bounce try using an outdoor ball inside.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
try using an outdoor ball inside.

We tried that, including alternative balls like tennis balls, racquetballs, nothing really bounced right (for pickleball). The outdoor balls are the best, but for ever 6 or 7 balls hit, 1 will just land flat and not bounce at all.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
We tried that, including alternative balls like tennis balls, racquetballs, nothing really bounced right (for pickleball). The outdoor balls are the best, but for ever 6 or 7 balls hit, 1 will just land flat and not bounce at all.
Damn, I would probably redo the floor. I guess it depends on how much usage you'd get out of it. I would imagine many neighbors would love to come by and play during the winter.

Today I played pickleball with a retired guy. He used to be a builder and I asked him about building an indoor pickleball court at my new house. He mentioned that it would be really good for resale, just due to the demographic that plays. and that purchases homes in the neighborhood, older, wealthy people.

He was developing his own paddle in his shop. Wanted me to test it out next time we played.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
That's good to know. I will make it a pickleball court first and basketball court second.

I play here at the grammar school gym which is a basketball court in the basement. The ball bounces decent on it. If you aren't getting enough bounce try using an outdoor ball inside.

I remember back in 93 when I took a pickleball class in university and than did intramural pickleball and everybody on my dorm floor laughed at me. Now they have pickleball malls.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
A few weeks ago I upgraded my goldfish tank. This new tank is 75 gallons (284 liters) and they still make it look small! They're all between 8 and 9 inches in length (~20-23 cm), and I've had two of them for ~4.5 years and one for ~8 years.
IMG_20230620_145522143.jpg

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%