The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Brains of Successful vs. Unsuccessful

Anything related to matters of the mind

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
http://www.policymic.com/articles/8...n-successful-and-unsuccessful-people-s-brains

Do you think 'slow laners' can help the way they think? Why or why not? Do you think sometimes it's genetics or up-bringing? Some people will never think a certain way no matter what..

c4bfc173c1b89c4356546074c7abc735.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Great post. As for the last one at the bottom. I am inspired by those I do not know, but am threatened by the success of people I know personally. Strange.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
I'm jacking this. TOO GOOD not to be shared.

I'm def in the Green mind. I relate to all green mindness!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I think most people CAN change their thoughts. most people do not WANT to change their thoughts. in order to do that one must admit what they are doing and have currently done is wrong. most people will die before they admit they did something wrong.

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
I actually just got Carol Dweck's book on mindset, pretty good so far!

I think most people CAN change their thoughts. most people do not WANT to change their thoughts. in order to do that one must admit what they are doing and have currently done is wrong. most people will die before they admit they did something wrong.

They most certainly can! I did it, though it took me like 2 months. I'd say I'm about 80% there because I am still easily influenced by people who say I can't do it, or that it's all luck, but at the end of the day and when I wake up in the morning, I am convinced that I have a wealth mindset and that I can and will build a successful business.

EDIT: MJ if you're reading this, your book and forum have the capacity to transform even the most pessimistic people in the world (me) into wealthy, happy people. NOT reading your book likely would've led me to a path of poorness and depression. Shit changed my life man.

Last edited:

Steve Daar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Jun 2, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
People can definitely change their mindset.

Obviously the longer & more strongly one type of thought pattern has been held - - the more difficult it will be to change.

Upbringing is huge. Genetics....I have a harder time linking that to mindset. But start feeding your brain some better info and end your thoughts with question marks rather than periods.

Be open to anything being a possibility. Once you're closed or you end your thought/opinion with a period - - then that thing is Fixed in your mind. It will be a lot harder to switch over to a Growth mindset if you're closed.

Read:

- The Millionaire Fastlane (obviously)
- The Obstacle Is The Way by Ryan Holiday
- Choose Yourself by James Altucher
- Grow Rich With Peace of Mind by Napoleon Hill (much less known than Think and Grow Rich but I think it's better)

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Another food for thought to those who say a mindset can be changed. Couldn't a slowlane mentality be similar in operation to a mental illness? Suicidal, depression, etc. are all forms of chemical imbalance in our brains... may slow laners lack certain balances/blocked to think a certain way.

I used to lowkey bash on slow laners all the time and get mad when friends or family could never understand economics/business and how the f'd world of 'getting rich and why the poor stay poor' operate, but eventually given up on discussing with anybody I don't see doing the same as me... I don't think certain things trigger in certain brains to think certain ways.

It's like unless a tramatic event happens to them, their brains will not learn to re-correct to avoid the danger. I think it's our imagination of danger that makes us think the way we think; seeing the consequences of not trying and living a mediocre life til death versus providing a better lifestyle to spend the few time we have here.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
Another food for thought to those who say a mindset can be changed. Couldn't a slowlane mentality be similar in operation to a mental illness? Suicidal, depression, etc. are all forms of chemical imbalance in our brains... may slow laners lack certain balances/blocked to think a certain way.

I used to lowkey bash on slow laners all the time and get mad when friends or family could never understand economics/business and how the f'd world of 'getting rich and why the poor stay poor' operate, but eventually given up on discussing with anybody I don't see doing the same as me... I don't think certain things trigger in certain brains to think certain ways.

It's like unless a tramatic event happens to them, their brains will not learn to re-correct to avoid the danger. I think it's our imagination of danger that makes us think the way we think; seeing the consequences of not trying and living a mediocre life til death versus providing a better lifestyle to spend the few time we have here.

Just a thought.
I believe its not that they lack the ability to understand. those who choose to can do anything. those who choose to ignore it have still made a choice. a crazy person doesn't know they are crazy. they didn't decide it would be a good idea to be depressed or unbalanced or whatever. that's the wonderful thing about facts they exist whether they are believed in or not... they make a choice conscious or unconscious its still a choice.

Griffith

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 29, 2013
Mindsets can change, as shown by Dr. Dweck's work.

Depression is not necessarily a result of chemical imbalance (if you're going to say that then you need to back it up with some evidence IMO). A therapist who used to push pharmaceuticals said there's little evidence to support that view so he moved to behavioral therapy methods and had more success with his patients. He's cured people of mild and moderate depression before.

As for your friends, and family:
Many people think it's not possible.
Of the people who think it's possible, many don't think they need to change what they're doing.
Of those who think they should change, they wouldn't know how anyway.

There's at least three hurdles there (1. Can I?, 2. Should I?, 3. How Do I?), and not many make it over.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Who am I tell someone what it is that can cure them of depression unless you are them.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
It's a choice if you ask me. They use there logical mind and left brain more than their right side where you are creative and imaginary. There is a test out there somewhere that determines if you are left brain, right brain, or center brained. I don't remember the statistics exactly, but the majority of people only use 20% of their brain power. Many don't use their critical thinking skills. I used to hate math and algebra. I'm glad that I did it because it opens your mind to think and problem solve. Any kind of puzzle does really. It's really training your brain to work for you.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
About the depression part: there is a huge debate about if there really is a chemical imbalance. If the statistics are right, 1 out 6 men and 1 out of 4 women suffer from depression. This is to say there is something bigger going on here than just the brain chemistry. The herd follows the herd mentality.

So the financial class has nothing do with your financial status. Read Ruby Payne. There is a particular mindset for each lower class. Family does have a big impact with their belief system and behavior patterns. Most of it is learned by example. Some of it passed down generation to generation. As I've read files of people for three generations that end up in the same services. Everything that is learned, must be unlearned, and basically they've been taught to play victim. Unaware they're getting in the wrong relationships, making the wrong choices, and very incredible when you choose to get an education it makes a world of difference. Some people just like the attention and like playing the system. They're smart, they just don't choose to change.

Some of them have degrees and choose to live on the street. It's a matter of choice.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I think that the green side of this model will include many slowlaners as well. There are a lot of people that have success on their jobs with this mentality.

This illustration shows us what most of us realize. The basis for success would be lack of fear and confidence/belief in ourselves. It would be good to have this hung up above our desk to look at occasionally. Especially when we are struggling with something.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
In my opinion a lot of this is to do with upbringing, circumstance and luck.

For as long as I can remember, my dad has been self employed, he's not exactly fast lane but if he doesn't go in to work he still gets paid. He goes through spells when he works a lot, but he also goes through spells when he hardly works at all, either way, he gets paid. That was something I was always very aware of growing up.

In contrast, a few of my good pals have proper "career" parents. Both parents work, and they have nice things etc. That is all my friends will have seen growing up, and from a young age it will have been drummed into them, go to uni, get a good job and you can have these things.

Circumstance... rappers always talk about the hustle, and how they "went from rock bottom and came up too fast". They had to find a way to escape their situation, and their upbringing didn't exactly prepare them for a life in the slow lane. This is an extreme example but I think the point is clear.

Finally luck... I bet a load of people stumble across things like the millionnare fastlance and 4HWW by chance, and are blown away by what they learn. Sometimes I wish i didn't know there is a another way, a better way. Everyday is a struggle adn ignorance is bliss.

But I keep at it, because it'l be worth it when i reach the promised land.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
In my opinion a lot of this is to do with upbringing, circumstance and luck.

Upbringing and circumstance can form your beliefs, HOWEVER, you can change your own self limiting beliefs.

If you don't want to change them, you won't. But if you seek out the answers, you can.

First, you must believe you can change your beliefs. Then, you need to figure out how to change them.

Never let an excuse like your upbringing, your parents, or some awful thing was done to you control your life.

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
HOWEVER, you can change your own self limiting beliefs.

Yes you are totally right.

Your original beliefs come from upbringing, circumstance etc. but you can totally change them. If you can read the book and spend any amount of time on the FLF and it doesn't change your beliefs it's because you are stubborn!

You don't need to be born with a particular type of brain for this, you just have to want it bad enough.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I agree! How bad do you want it? Winning is a habit!

Some gread advice in these two videos! :)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
New video: I've been following him for about a year!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Never let an excuse like your upbringing, your parents, or some awful thing was done to you control your life.

... or you will be a victim...

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
That's for sure! One of the things I have to laugh about, is every time you get angry, upset, or hold ill feelings towards someone. You're playing the victim part. They've done something that caused your emotional and mental reaction. Now we can't blame them for our choices of interacting with them or participating. It is our choice to begin with every day. I have to say people do have a cause and effect on you. When you don't stay neutral, get upset, and make it about you, you play the victim.

Karpman Drama Triangle: Someone does something or says something to you: Victim
Persecutor: Someone judging you, fault finding, nay saying, Tough Love that turns abusive, emotional, mental abuse
Rescuer:You need someone to take sides with you to prove your point and validate what you believe. You need someone to rescue you from your situation.

Fortunately, we all do this every day unless we know how to step out of the drama game and take 100% responsibility to manage our emotions, manage our mental state, spiritual state, and physical state.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

This video is very good at discussing your topic. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.