The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 5am Club - Worth it?

5am Club: Is it worth it?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I dont know, something to do with the forum settings I guess. I will look at that. You can still view it on YT though.

This is a setting on your YouTube video or account.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I wake up around 4:00AM or so. I've fallen off the wagon a bit, but no later than 8AM.

Normally go to bed from 8-9PM. Would go to bed earlier but my favorite food stall opens at 6PM and housekeeping cleans my room at 5PM (I live in a hotel).

Sleeping when the sun goes down is definitely the natural way to do things and works for the vast majority of people.

If you don't believe me, just go backpacking in the wilderness. No phone. No electronics. Way too dangerous to leave camp or really do anything. Especially if you can't get a fire started.

Everyone goes to sleep after sunset once they've been on the trail a day or two. There really isn't another option.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I wake up around 4:00AM or so. I've fallen off the wagon a bit, but no later than 8AM.

Normally go to bed from 8-9PM. Would go to bed earlier but my favorite food stall opens at 6PM and housekeeping cleans my room at 5PM (I live in a hotel).

Sleeping when the sun goes down is definitely the natural way to do things and works for the vast majority of people.

If you don't believe me, just go backpacking in the wilderness. No phone. No electronics. Way too dangerous to leave camp or really do anything. Especially if you can't get a fire started.

Everyone goes to sleep after sunset once they've been on the trail a day or two. There really isn't another option.
Said this way it actually makes sense when going back to our origins or closer to a more natural way of living. Thanks for this comment, I did not see that this way.

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
#landfill

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Hi all,

So I recently tried to change my habits and wake up at 5am while going to bed much earlier in the evening. I used my morning time to work on my project, organise my day and thoughts and work out. Results have been good although there are some drawbacks I address in my video.

Are some of you guys doing the same, what is your experience and observations about this?

View: https://youtu.be/5fX1uNEjpW
High achievers tend to rise early. BTW ... not financial in that space (yet) After a while it does become a habit. A big problem when staying overnight with family & friends so I eliminated that from life first. 5-7am is my time to get my head aligned /shit done. Nobody has to look at me or bother me during this high octane ritual. Nobody

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
Oops...Sorry ...click the expand for my post
Hey Timmy thank you for your reply. I m curious though, how did you deal with family/friends? Eliminated?
For me I now only see my very close friends and got rid of the noise. I "only" have a girlfriend that I do intend to keep so dont want to neglect her. Balancing everything is an art haha

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Wake at 5am or 10am? I'd rather choose 10am.

Waking to an alarm and knocking back two black coffees before the rooster crows is too reminiscent of a previous life we'd all rather not talk about...

Besides, I get more done throughout the day if I wake later.
Despite...you know, waking later...

At the least, the same stuff's getting done.
Only 5am is waaaay more painful for marginal gain.

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
wake up at 5am while going to bed much earlier in the evening.

I wake up between 4:30 -5am everyday and go to the gym. Get back around 6:30am and get my son off to school by 7:35 and back in my home office by 8:10am.

Then I have the rest of my day to work and focus.

The gym is my coffee. I do not drink caffeine so without the gym to get the blood flowing I feel off.

Even on vacation I am up at the crack of dawn. I do some exercises with resistance bands and what not then off for a surf.

With all that said I put my son to bed around 7-7:30pm and start unwinding myself by 8. I will usually read or entertain the wife and then be asleep by 9:30pm.

It works for me and I love it.

I love being up and moving around when most people are sleeping.

Last edited:

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I wake up between 4:30 -5am everyday and go to the gym. Get back around 6:30am and get my son off to school by 7:35 and back in my home office by 8:10am.

Then I have the rest of my day to work and focus.

The gym is my coffee. I do not drink caffeine so without the gym to get the blood flowing I feel off.

Even on vacation I am up at the crack of dawn. I do some exercises with resistance bands and what not then off for a surf.

With all that said I put my son to bed around 7-7:30pm and start unwinding myself by 8. I will usually read or entertain the wife and then be asleep by 9:30pm.

If works for me and I love it.

I love being up and moving around when most people are sleeping.
I like your routine and would love to achieve the same when I will have a family. This is inspirational and I will work towards this objective! Gym is also a big part of my routine and couldnt spend a week without going at least 4/5 times so I understand your feeling.. (I still need tea/coffee though ha!)

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
Wake at 5am or 10am? I'd rather choose 10am.

Waking to an alarm and knocking back two black coffees before the rooster crows is too reminiscent of a previous life we'd all rather not talk about...

Besides, I get more done throughout the day if I wake later.
Despite...you know, waking later...

At the least, the same stuff's getting done.
Only 5am is waaaay more painful for marginal gain.
Do you also, as some people who commented on this thread, try to go to bed when you feel tired and wake up naturally?

For me waking up earlier and going to bed earlier has really boosted me productivity. Looking at the results of the poll in this topic it clearly depends on people. Thank you for your message UnrealCreative :)

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Hi all,

So I recently tried to change my habits and wake up at 5am while going to bed much earlier in the evening. I used my morning time to work on my project, organise my day and thoughts and work out. Results have been good although there are some drawbacks I address in my video.

Are some of you guys doing the same, what is your experience and observations about this?

View: https://youtu.be/5fX1uNEjpWw

totally unrelated, but is that the samsung mu6300 on your desk?

Also unrelated, but that's really good engagement for a video with so "few" views.

Glad to see this thread turned out to be a real discussion, despite the initial appearances of shameless promotion.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
totally unrelated, but is that the samsung mu6300 on your desk?

Also unrelated, but that's really good engagement for a video with so "few" views.

Glad to see this thread turned out to be a real discussion, despite the initial appearances of shameless promotion.
Haha indeed and good spot for the Samsung. It is the UE55MU8000T which is a great TV but "only" 4K.

Thank you for your comment, yes I appreciate my initial message came across clumsy and some members disliked it but my intentions are genuine and in my mind I was using it as a conversation starter. I took on board the comments and feedback and will be more careful going forward.

Thank you for your feedback on the video :)

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Do you also, as some people who commented on this thread, try to go to bed when you feel tired and wake up naturally?
I prefer waking and retiring with the sun, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Hell, my travel goals are centered around timezones. Heaven to me is when I can wake at 10am in Europe and not be bothered by phone calls from the USA until at LEAST 3pm.

Evenings are my best creative / strategic hours too. It's when I think best.
So being able to stay up late without consequence is useful.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
Any hours I'm awake before about 11am-12pm are golden. I'm most focused and alert during these times.

I have a second wind from around 8pm until bed. Less alert but more associative -- good time to have creative thoughts, unsconscious "aha!" insights, that kind of thing.

In summer months it's easier to be up from 5-6am. In the winter, I'm lucky if I'm out of bed at 7:30.

I don't worry about it too much otherwise.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I prefer waking and retiring with the sun, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Hell, my travel goals are centered around timezones. Heaven to me is when I can wake at 10am in Europe and not be bothered by phone calls from the USA until at LEAST 3pm.

Evenings are my best creative / strategic hours too. It's when I think best.
So being able to stay up late without consequence is useful.
It is a luxury to be able to do what you do and my objective too! :D

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
Any hours I'm awake before about 11am-12pm are golden. I'm most focused and alert during these times.

I have a second wind from around 8pm until bed. Less alert but more associative -- good time to have creative thoughts, unsconscious "aha!" insights, that kind of thing.

In summer months it's easier to be up from 5-6am. In the winter, I'm lucky if I'm out of bed at 7:30.

I don't worry about it too much otherwise.
Haha totally agree about the difference in motivation between winter and summer... aaahhh these summer vibes are helpful!

guaava23

Ready for the FastLane Living!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Feb 25, 2019
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Forget this thread. I rather hear your adventures on living in a Hotel!

Anyways, I think the waking up early thing is just like anything. The herd follows. If you are productive and disciplined at whatever hour, that is what you should do. I like having a few hours in the morning or at night that I am uninterrupted when everyone's sleeping to work on things or read.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I wake up at 2. Gives me time to produce videos, work on client copy, meditate, for several hours before anyone else wakes up. Also time to check if there's anything new worth reading on the forum. 5 am is too late for me. It would feel like half the day was wasted.
Wait, what? I’m going to bed not long before you wake up!! I hit the hay just after midnight and get up at 6:30 ish.

Dayum... bed at 8pm? Don’t think I’ve ever done that.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
I’ve definitely noticed I’m so much more mentally sharp and focused when I wake up early but I struggle to fall asleep early (especially now that I’m on my own schedule with my business).

Any tips for those like myself who have a lot of trouble ever falling asleep before midnight or so?

Before I quit my job in corporate America around a year and a half ago I had big problems with stress-induced insomnia (which has completely gone away once I left my miserable office job) so I’ve been enjoying the later schedule these days but I’m sure it’s hurting my productivity.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hi all,

View: https://youtu.be/5fX1uNEjpWw
I get up at 6 AM and do my paperwork. It's quiet and no one calls or bothers me.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I’ve definitely noticed I’m so much more mentally sharp and focused when I wake up early but I struggle to fall asleep early (especially now that I’m on my own schedule with my business).

Any tips for those like myself who have a lot of trouble ever falling asleep before midnight or so?

Before I quit my job in corporate America around a year and a half ago I had big problems with stress-induced insomnia (which has completely gone away once I left my miserable office job) so I’ve been enjoying the later schedule these days but I’m sure it’s hurting my productivity.
I do suffer from occasional insomnia linked to the stress although it is rare now.

How to fall asleep before midnight:
- quit your screens at least one hour before your desired bed time, replace that by a book
- meditation
- sound therapy (noise/sound machines with sea/forest/white noise etc sound, my sister use that and love it it helped her a lot! I tried it and my favorite is the sound of rain and thunderstorm, it works like a charm! you also have videos on youtube just with hours of these sounds)
- Caffeine free tea and warm milk are apparently good to get your body in a sleep mode
- eat your dinner 2 to 3 hours before going to bed so you are not interrupted by your digestion
- and if you have a partner... sex is also a great option hahaha

Good luck!

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Hey Timmy thank you for your reply. I m curious though, how did you deal with family/friends? Eliminated?
For me I now only see my very close friends and got rid of the noise. I "only" have a girlfriend that I do intend to keep so dont want to neglect her. Balancing everything is an art haha
I meet family and friends for specific social engagements. Bad back so can only sleep in my own bed ..... partly true. You do what you have to do. It's easier to water down the truth than to explain to low functioning people ... even if those are tour own family.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I meet family and friends for specific social engagements. Bad back so can only sleep in my own bed ..... partly true. You do what you have to do. It's easier to water down the truth than to explain to low functioning people ... even if those are tour own family.
Yes it makes total sense and I kind of do that saying that I have history of cholesterol so I have to be careful with food and alcohol to avoid drinking too much when going out as it kills my productivity the next day. It is true, I do have high cholesterol, even with a 12% body/fat ratio, however, not as high as I mention to my close. So I know this feeling too... Happy to see I am not the only one...

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Yes it makes total sense and I kind of do that saying that I have history of cholesterol so I have to be careful with food and alcohol to avoid drinking too much when going out as it kills my productivity the next day. It is true, I do have high cholesterol, even with a 12% body/fat ratio, however, not as high as I mention to my close. So I know this feeling too... Happy to see I am not the only one...

Anyone that aspires to being a high functioning individual will generally be aware of the enrichment available from an early start. One will obviously need be comfortable working alone, have a clear pathway established and chip away at it.
High up on the chart is ...the optimum use of time. The first 3 hrs uninterrupted equates to maybe 6 average sloppy hrs. Nobody can steal those hrs. from me. The masterplan needs to be finished. The only unknown is the length of time it will take. Everything else is math.To do this one has to sleep well & eat healthy, and love themselves first. Sacrifices will need to be made to create generational wealth. ....

Yes ... I have the Dan Peña mindset.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
5am club is lame.

Join the 4am club.

All joking aside, waking up early has changed only one thing, and that's my attitude about the day. If I wake up early, then I have chosen to wake up. I've chosen life. I've chosen to face whatever may be waiting for me. I've chosen to get my a$$ to work.

Also the time doesn't matter, the point is waking up several hours before your first 'obligation'. Most people wake up like 30 minutes before they go to work or have their first call. That means you're waking up for someone else.

Think 'pay yourself first', but with time. You, like me, might owe time to someone else. But when you wake up early, the time you take from the morning is 100% yours, tax-free. Isn't that powerful?

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

All joking aside, waking up early has changed only one thing, and that's my attitude about the day. If I wake up early, then I have chosen to wake up. I've chosen life. I've chosen to face whatever may be waiting for me. I've chosen to get my a$$ to work.

Also the time doesn't matter, the point is waking up several hours before your first 'obligation'. Most people wake up like 30 minutes before they go to work or have their first call. That means you're waking up for someone else.

Think 'pay yourself first', but with time. You, like me, might owe time to someone else. But when you wake up early, the time you take from the morning is 100% yours, tax-free. Isn't that powerful?

This is a very compelling reason to do it; thanks for sharing.

I've always said that it's nice having woken up at 5am for those reasons.

...Just not the actual waking. Ugh. Painful.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Some days I have to get up at 7am, other days, I sleep until noon.

Doesn't matter when you wake up, just wake up.

Some projects are gonna take days, that's just life.

I personally hate limiting myself to a sleep schedule sometimes, but it is the healthier way to go.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.