The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 5am Club - Worth it?

5am Club: Is it worth it?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
Hi all,

So I recently tried to change my habits and wake up at 5am while going to bed much earlier in the evening. I used my morning time to work on my project, organise my day and thoughts and work out. Results have been good although there are some drawbacks I address in my video.

Are some of you guys doing the same, what is your experience and observations about this?

View: https://youtu.be/5fX1uNEjpWw

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Wanna share more??

No. Just making a statement based on what usually happens when new people show up and start making shallow posts with video links to drive traffic to their channel.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
No. Just making a statement based on what usually happens when new people show up and start making shallow posts with video links to drive traffic to their channel.
Well the aim is to exchange with people on here, you must have a lot of time to waste to leave comments like this. Move on buddy!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Well the aim is to exchange with people on here, you must have a lot of time to waste to leave comments like this. Move on buddy!

Actually your aim looked more like self promotion to me which was why I didn't comment when I first seen your thread.

Telling a long serving and well respected member of this community to "Move on buddy" is rather short sighted in my opinion. You could call that mistake #2.

lol...I see this going over well.

See? He's already right.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
Actually your aim looked more like self promotion to me which was why I didn't comment when I first seen your thread.

Telling a long serving and well respected member of this community to "Move on buddy" is rather short sighted in my opinion. You could call that mistake #2.

See? He's already right.

What about being constructive instead of hating? I do videos and want to chat with like minded people to exchange on topics I address but also hear about people's opinion, tips and criticism. I had some nice chat with people adding value met on here which I find great.

It is a forum after all...

And if a well respected member cannot add value and only "hate", he doesn't get my respect.

There are 2 options here:
1) Keep on posting your value less comments everytime I post and waste everyone's time
2) Give me constructive feedbacks and share your experience which is interesting for me and others reading this thread

I am sure after so many years on here you guys have exciting lives and great tips to share on the topics I address.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I just did a search on your contribution to the forum. In every thread you are self promoting. Putting links to your YouTube channel, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook:

INTRO - Press Start With ME (Mark)

What are your thoughts on Bucket Lists?

"Please read my Intro on the FLF:

Twitter: @FoboMark
Instagram: @PressStartWithMark
Facebook: Press Start With Mark
YouTube: PressStartWithMark"

Have a read of this:

IMPORTANT! - Getting the MOST out of Fastlane (Required Read)

Section 4 should interest you:

#4: NO GURU BS PLEASE!
Are you here because you're interested in using the forum to build your list, hot prospect, and enlargen your sales funnel? Word of caution: THIS BEHAVIOR does not work here and you will be CALLED-OUT on it, or worse, exposed as a charlatan. If your participation at the forum is conditional upon you selling, backlinking, or hot-prospecting the forum users, it WILL NOT END well.

You have only been here a short while. Please don't assume that you are smarter than the rest of us. Lex was amused as he knew what your post would lead to.

You have a perfect opportunity here to hold your hands up and say "fair play, I'll tone down the self promotion". Or, you can continue as you have so far. It's a learning experience for you either way.

Last edited:

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I just did a search on your contribution to the forum. In every thread you are self promoting. Putting links to your YouTube channel, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook:

What are your thoughts on Bucket Lists?

"Please read my Intro on the FLF:

Twitter: @FoboMark
Instagram: @PressStartWithMark
Facebook: Press Start With Mark
YouTube: PressStartWithMark"

Have a read of this:

IMPORTANT! - Getting the MOST out of Fastlane (Required Read)

Section 4 should interest you:

#4: NO GURU BS PLEASE!
Are you here because you're interested in using the forum to build your list, hot prospect, and enlargen your sales funnel? Word of caution: THIS BEHAVIOR does not work here and you will be CALLED-OUT on it, or worse, exposed as a charlatan. If your participation at the forum is conditional upon you selling, backlinking, or hot-prospecting the forum users, it WILL NOT END well.

You have only been here a short while. Please don't assume that you are smarter than the rest of us. Lex was amused as he knew what your post would lead to.

You have a perfect opportunity here to hold your hands up and say "far play, I'll tone down the self promotion". Or, you can continue as you have so far. It's a learning experience for you either way.
You re right I don't want to be seen as one of these "guru" as I am not one. Now I am not selling anything and do that as a hobby and to create discussions. I joined 2 weeks ago and want to become more proactive here as I think there is a great community here.
I take your comment on board but please see my videos as conversation starters more than self promotion since I am genuinely interested in chatting on these topics and knowing what people think and experienced.

Now that you told me off and had a fair comment about this post, would you mind telling me about your experience on the topic?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Mark, if I haven't already welcomed you to the forum please let me say welcome now.

I can see you are ambitious and a fast learner, with a good head on your shoulders. You also have shown humility. You'll do well.

As for the 5am start I have been practising it for over 3 years. However due to family circumstances I've struggled with it for the last month. Slowly getting back on track.

Normally:

5am Wake up, Bathroom, Meditation, Coffee, Journal, Start Work at 5:30.

My intention this year is to get my latest business founded and be done with my working day by 9am. You can call it semi-retirement.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
I feel like giving him the benefit of the doubt, he looks like a nice guy

Although, @Mark Fobo , I understand the reaction of @RazorCut and @Lex DeVille , your post is at least "clumsy".

Posting a video and then asking "do you do the same / what are your observation on this?" doesn't make you sound really interested in what we have to say. It sounds more like a question thrown there just to make your post not look like self promotion, justly.

Be more specific. What do you really want to know? Are you worried you do that for nothing? Do you need encouragement? Are you looking for ways to use your morning time better?

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
For my part, I'm wary of the "one fits all" solution. Waking up at 5am isn't some magic pill that will revolutionize everyone's life.

There have to be real, practical reasons for waking up at 5am. You cite some of them, like having a side project you want to dedicate time too but don't have enough time in the "regular" day.

We must keep in mind that Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, Elon Musk, Richard Branson, Oprah Winfrey, etc. they're not them because they wake up at 5am. They wake up at 5 am because they are them.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I wake up at 2. Gives me time to produce videos, work on client copy, meditate, for several hours before anyone else wakes up. Also time to check if there's anything new worth reading on the forum. 5 am is too late for me. It would feel like half the day was wasted.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
Mark, if I haven't already welcomed you to the forum please let me say welcome now.

I can see you are ambitious and a fast learner, with a good head on your shoulders. You also have shown humility. You'll do well.

As for the 5am start I have been practising it for over 3 years. However due to family circumstances I've struggled with it for the last month. Slowly getting back on track.

Normally:

5am Wake up, Bathroom, Meditation, Coffee, Journal, Start Work at 5:30.

My intention this year is to get my latest business founded and be done with my working day by 9am. You can call it semi-retirement.
Thanks, I promise I will improve.

Ok so pretty busy too as soon as you wake up. Are you struggling with your sleep doing so, I am working in finance and have long hours so going to bed at 10 can be challenging sometimes. What is your routine in the evening? It sounds like you have a family (children?) I guess it adds another difficulty to the task..?

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I wake up at 2. Gives me time to produce videos, work on client copy, meditate, for several hours before anyone else wakes up. Also time to check if there's anything new worth reading on the forum. 5 am is too late for me. It would feel like half the day was wasted.
Ok now I m confused and dont know if you are sarcastic haha.. what time do you go to bed? How many hours of sleep do you need to go through your day without any issue?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Ok now I m confused and dont know if you are sarcastic haha.. what time do you go to bed? How many hours of sleep do you need to go through your day without any issue?

6 hours of sleep. I go to bed by 8. Usually I stop working by 3-4pm because my mind gets too foggy. Nothing going on after 8pm in my house. Waking at 2 is automatic. Anything less than 6 hours and I'm too foggy to be productive.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Are you struggling with your sleep doing so, I am working in finance and have long hours so going to bed at 10 can be challenging sometimes. What is your routine in the evening?

I usually hit the gym around 3-4pm. Get home, have my OMAD meal then chill till 10pm then bed. I'm just experimenting with going to the gym between 10am and midday then coming back to do work till 5:30 / 6pm. Will try that for a couple of weeks to see if it makes any difference to my productivity.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
For my part, I'm wary of the "one fits all" solution. Waking up at 5am isn't some magic pill that will revolutionize everyone's life.

There have to be real, practical reasons for waking up at 5am. You cite some of them, like having a side project you want to dedicate time too but don't have enough time in the "regular" day.

We must keep in mind that Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, Elon Musk, Richard Branson, Oprah Winfrey, etc. they're not them because they wake up at 5am. They wake up at 5 am because they are them.
Yes absolutely agree with you, you re right and I concur, having a reason to wake up
I feel like giving him the benefit of the doubt, he looks like a nice guy

Although, @Mark Fobo , I understand the reaction of @RazorCut and @Lex DeVille , your post is at least "clumsy".

Posting a video and then asking "do you do the same / what are your observation on this?" doesn't make you sound really interested in what we have to say. It sounds more like a question thrown there just to make your post not look like self promotion, justly.

Be more specific. What do you really want to know? Are you worried you do that for nothing? Do you need encouragement? Are you looking for ways to use your morning time better?
You are absolutely right. Thank you for your feedback.
I think the question is, I am struggling to balance social life, girlfriend, work and project. Waking up earlier and being disciplined helped a lot but I am still fine tuning this "routine". Some weeks I run low on energy. I am curious about how people balance everything and if some people used to do it and then stop and why did they.

When it comes to Elon etc, having read few of them biographies, it seems it is a routine they had for many years, so I guess it pays off once you fins what is working for you.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
6 hours of sleep. I go to bed by 8. Usually I stop working by 3-4pm because my mind gets too foggy. Nothing going on after 8pm in my house. Waking at 2 is automatic. Anything less than 6 hours and I'm too foggy to be productive.
Same here, 6 hours minimum seems to be what I need however I would find it hard to go to bed at 8pm for me considering my job which asks me to travel a lot. How long have you been doing that for now? Is it an effort of doing it or is it just natural now?

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
I usually hit the gym around 3-4pm. Get home, have my OMAD meal then chill till 10pm then bed. I'm just experimenting with going to the gym between 10am and midday then coming back to do work till 5:30 / 6pm. Will try that for a couple of weeks to see if it makes any difference to my productivity.
Going to the gym at 10 works well for me but I do like also doing it first thing in the morning, more like a wake up routine more than hardcore gym.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
More importantly than what time you woke up...

How much sh*t did you get done today? And did sleeping in negatively impact communication windows with people who can’t get ahold of you.

China is 13 hours ahead of me, they begin their work day when it’s 7pm here. I have been up all night going back and forth with them on material specs, but also needed to make some calls in the morning to US manufacturers with the info I got from China the night before.

Getting up early every day shows discipline, but keeping your business going, regardless of time is more important to me. Being up early doesn’t magically make things happen. You make things happen.

Generally I’m up sometime between 4 and 6. By 5 I’m rolling around restless, even if I went to bed at 2.

Last edited:

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
More importantly than what time you woke up...

How much sh*t did you get done today? And did sleeping in negatively impact communication windows with people who can’t get ahold of you.

China is 13 hours ahead of me, they begin their work day when it’s 7pm here. I have been up all night going back and forth with them on material specs, but also needed to make some calls in the morning to US manufacturers with the info I got from China the night before.

Getting up early every day shows discipline, but keeping your business going, regardless of time is more important to me. Being up early doesn’t magically make things hapoen. You make things happen.

Generally I’m up sometime between 4 and 6. By 5 I’m rolling around restless, even if I went to bed at 2.
In your case I guess it is hard to have a routine as such if you have to deal with different time zones. Do you get tired of having, from what I understand, a schedule that can be random because of driven by who you have to talk to and their time zones? My dad was a long haul commercial pilot, his body clock was all messed up which resulted in tiredness..

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
In your case I guess it is hard to have a routine as such if you have to deal with different time zones. Do you get tired of having, from what I understand, a schedule that can be random because of driven by who you have to talk to and their time zones? My dad was a long haul commercial pilot, his body clock was all messed up which resulted in tiredness..

Sometimes. Mostly, the anticipation of this business being successful renders my tiredness a mute point. People often mistake tired with boredom or lament, with not wanting to do what they are doing. If your prospect’s success excites you, it stimulates you to get up early, stay up late and grind like a mad man, even when the tasks are dull.

Rest if you need to, but business first.

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
Hey I agree with B.Cole
This "Wake Up Early" trend feels a bit artificial.

Depends on what my team is doing, where my clients is and a lot of factors. Discipline is important, whatever you wake up at 5 or 9 or 11.

I don't think your success is measured by the time you wake up, but by the things you do.

Most importantly, don't forget to have a sleep, otherwise, productivity drops significantly :)

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
Hey I agree with B.Cole
This "Wake Up Early" trend feels a bit artificial.

Depends on what my team is doing, where my clients is and a lot of factors. Discipline is important, whatever you wake up at 5 or 9 or 11.

I don't think your success is measured by the time you wake up, but by the things you do.

Most importantly, don't forget to have a sleep, otherwise, productivity drops significantly :)
Definitely, in my case it was rebalancing the hours in the evening where I was working without being the most productive to the early morning which I now find more beneficial. My situation might be different to yours as I have a 8 to 6 job with some travel involved in Europe every week from London.
I am technically not creating time but using mine more wisely to achieve more but indeed this change of habit combined with social obligations can be tough at times.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I wake up at 3 am. You're slacking.
I wake up at 1am. I have a friend that wakes up at 10pm. I know the majority of people wake up at 7, 8, 9, 10am. Who's slacking now?!

8d4d181b1abf66bc44b58fa0b1cce626290d1a88d50f2fa4e9bc8f44a438145e.jpg

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Very true. The benefits of a 5am start for many is that you can be much more focused and productive as distractions are vastly reduced when most of the population are still asleep.

Also, if I shifted my day forward by two hours (went to bed at midnight instead of 10pm and got up at 7am) I would probably not work the extra 2 hours into the evening as that would interfere with family obligations etc.. So that means my effective working day would be cut short.

It's very much an individual thing. We tend to build a flow dependant on our particular business.

When I had a pizzeria many years ago I used to get home late, sometimes after midnight. I was wired and sleep was the last thing on my mind. I would fire up the PC and play CSS with my fellow clan members, sometimes until dawn.

It took me a long time to get out of that late night, late morning habit. A long time after I had a manager in place and didn't spend my evenings at work.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.