The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Teaching/ Study App; Should I do it?

Idea threads
D

Deleted8v369

A problem I have is that I spend a lot of time creating things that nobody wants, or that don't make much money when they are copleted. This results in a lack of motivation, as I have become pessimistic about the financial success of any venture I put my time into. Although there is always an element of risk, I want to set myself up for the greatest chance of success.

With that said, could anybody tell me if the software I am currently working on has potential, or if I should ditch it and do something else? Chat bots and AI are popular today, and these ar topics I am familiar with form my experience in the video game industry -I just don't know what I should build or how to sell it.

Anyway, here is my current project. It's an application that tracks the progess students of English as a second or foreign language, and also provides teachers with a system to manage their students. It currently consists of two databases, one SQL, on No SQL, an Angular front end for students to log in and see their progress, and Winforms Front end for managing students, taking notes during their sessions, and entering feedback data. I currenly just use it for myself to manage my low-paid online teaching job.

1696577051732.png

Does this app have commercial potential, or should I ditch it and make something else? If so, what?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Nobody can tell you which project is worth continuing or ditching. Only the market can tell you that.

Your problem is that you are making things too complicated for yourself.

Instead of building fully fledged app/websites, try to follow the 12 startups in 12 months routine.

This will force you to:
- tackle a small but real problem
- be efficient in developing the solution
- market it to people who have this problem

Most people who follow it find an idea worth pursuing after the second or third month.

Cano

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 3, 2022
Germany
A problem I have is that I spend a lot of time creating things that nobody wants, or that don't make much money when they are copleted. This results in a lack of motivation, as I have become pessimistic about the financial success of any venture I put my time into. Although there is always an element of risk, I want to set myself up for the greatest chance of success.

why do you build and then sell? and not sell and then build?

you need to find out if there is demand on the market and if people would pay for your solution.

i wouldnt even start building something without any sale.

the risk you have is high because you didnt validated your product properly.

do it and you will be more motivated again because you clearly got the skills to build it.

D

Deleted8v369

why do you build and then sell? and not sell and then build?

you need to find out if there is demand on the market and if people would pay for your solution.

i wouldnt even start building something without any sale.

the risk you have is high because you didnt validated your product properly.

do it and you will be more motivated again because you clearly got the skills to build it.
You still have to create at least an MVP before you try to sell, don't you?

Also, what happens if you make a sale of something you haven't created yet? You can't give it to them.

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India
Hello there Russell, rather than putting all your time and energy in building it first, why dont you do a market research, if students and teachers actually want this app. The second thing as a student myself I do have problems tracking my assignments and homeworks also what ive studied today etc. (so the idea does have some potential)

You could build an app that helps student track their weekly or monthly academic progress and keep the app free for students and generate revenues by running small ads.

Cano

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 3, 2022
Germany
You still have to create at least an MVP before you try to sell, don't you?

No you dont need one. make a landing page up, explain your product and see if someone would pay for it or signs up.

You can design the interface but it doesnt need to work, just to show how it looks like and then you run google ads to it to see if there is any sort of interest. You may lose a bit test money but your time building is way more valueable than that.

Once you got an email from someone thats interested you could just ask them about the product.

This is just one way of course..

Also, what happens if you make a sale of something you haven't created yet? You can't give it to them.

Just refund them and tell them that the product is in development and you notify them once you launch.

What did you do to validate the software idea? and all the others that you built before?

like @Tau Ceti said nobody can tell you if its going to work but the market can.

Last edited:
D

Deleted8v369

No you dont need one. make a landing page up, explain your product and see if someone would pay for it or signs up.

You can design the interface but it does need to work, just to show how it looks like and then you run google ads to it to see if there is any sort of interest. You may lose a bit test money but your time building is way more valueable than that.

Once you got an email from someone thats interested you could just ask them about the product.

This is just one way of course..

Just refund them and tell them that the product is in development and you notify them once you launch.

What did you do to validate the software idea? and all the others that you built before?

like @Tau Ceti said nobody can tell you if its going to work but the market can.
Hi Cano, I'm interested in this approach. Does this work for SaaS though? I could also make it as a downloadedable desktop app, but I think most people prefer a website interface that they can use instantly and upgrade if it's useful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.