The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting out with Google ads as a service

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

MathewH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 2, 2019
Hi everyone, pretty new to the forum
I have recently completed Andy blacks Google ads course which is great might I add.

A bit about me, I'm working at a supermarket for a living, and now I want to start Google ads management as a service and grow it to my full time income.

The pain point for me which is probably the same for most people starting out is getting my first client, I do believe it will be a snowball effect where I get recommended from one client to another through word of mouth.

Atm I'm posting in fb groups to try get some engagement just by generally trying to help people and have conversations etc.

Any tips or advice would be great, I thought why not post in a forum that is a such a great resource to have.

I hope your all well and staying safe!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Hi everyone, pretty new to the forum
I have recently completed Andy blacks Google ads course which is great might I add.

A bit about me, I'm working at a supermarket for a living, and now I want to start Google ads management as a service and grow it to my full time income.

The pain point for me which is probably the same for most people starting out is getting my first client, I do believe it will be a snowball effect where I get recommended from one client to another through word of mouth.

Atm I'm posting in fb groups to try get some engagement just by generally trying to help people and have conversations etc.

Any tips or advice would be great, I thought why not post in a forum that is a such a great resource to have.

I hope your all well and staying safe!

There are actually a ton of threads that talk about this exact issue on the forum.

In my case, I got my first two clients after I had had some success marketing my own business. I offered to work for them for free for a month, just as a test run to make sure it worked. They sent me my next 4 clients, and one of those sent me the next 3 clients.

In a funny twist, I had an appointment scheduled with one of these prospects to discuss her marketing. My client had met her at a U-Haul rental place. Turns out, I had an appointment scheduled with her the very next day to discuss my need for wedding photography. Small world.

3 of these original seven clients are still clients, 8 years later.

The best tip I have for you? Do your job right, and treat people the way they deserve to be treated. Some people I'm happy to bend over backwards for, and others I'm happy to show the door. The trick is figuring out which is who.

MathewH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 2, 2019
Thanks you very much for the replies, @BizyDad may I ask how you marketed in the first place?

I'm trying to get more of a community going in the fb groups I'm in, so who knows something may come of that.

Just open to ideas really :)

I'll see if I can find some of the threads.

Iv been talking to a lovely woman who's in fb ads and she suggested using a Google chrome extension called hunter that gets the emails from websites, but iv never really thought about cold emailing businesses.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Hi Mathew

First of all, good luck on your venture.

Second, try posting on CraigsList. If you're living in States that will cost you nothing,
and there are few fastlaners who got their first clients just by posting there.
In worst case scenario, you'll lose few minutes of time.
In best, you already know.

MathewH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 2, 2019
@Kid thank you, I shall give that a go, worth a try as you say for sure!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Thanks you very much for the replies, @BizyDad may I ask how you marketed in the first place?

I'm trying to get more of a community going in the fb groups I'm in, so who knows something may come of that.
I came from a finance background where I networked a lot. That is how I met my first two clients, but after a year or two of going to bni meetings I quit doing that. Networking in age of COVID is tough, obviously.

I also ran my own internet marketing meetup clubs. You can read a little bit of that story in my intro post, because MJ came to speak at one.

I'm not the best example though. I started off just selling websites (and sucked at it for a while). By the time I got my first two SEO clients, I'd already built up a website that was getting 10k to 15k visitors a month.

MathewH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 2, 2019
Just wanted to say thanks for the replies everyone, trying to get myself out there a bit more.

Definitley things to take into to think about, iv had a zoom call this week and I'll be joining in as a guest on a networking meeting that someone reached out to me about, mainly from being active on fb and showing an interest in people businesses.

MathewH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 2, 2019
Just an update guys, been concentrating on getting myself out there a bit more.

Iv made a local friend who does fb ads, and iv been invited into a new networking group and asked to help them once they've moved offices, first meeting on zoom on Wednesday.

Hopefully I can chat with people add value and help people out, who knows what it will lead to!

Not much luck with any good fb groups, tempted to set up a linked in page.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Why not go old-fashioned try to network. Ask everybody you meet if they know somebody who would need your service.
Or, maybe a little more out of your comfort zone, just call businesses and ask if they need your help.
But the most sense it would make for me if you had your own google ads. Why not use your own service to sell your service.

MathewH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 2, 2019
@Kasimir thanks for the reply, good old networking is what I'm doing chatting to people I connect with and joining that network group.

I'm following Andy's advice really, I don't have a website because at the minute I don't really see the need for one?

I'd rather chat to people make friends and help them, running the Google ads for myself doesn't really appeal especially with having no income from clients.

Completely agree on the networking part though :)

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
@Kasimir thanks for the reply, good old networking is what I'm doing chatting to people I connect with and joining that network group.

I'm following Andy's advice really, I don't have a website because at the minute I don't really see the need for one?

I'd rather chat to people make friends and help them, running the Google ads for myself doesn't really appeal especially with having no income from clients.

Completely agree on the networking part though :)
At least we agree on one topic. Look I get it, it's not the right time for you to run google ads. And maybe it's not the way to get your first few clients, but selling google ads as a service while not having any google ads running is a little strange for me. So you say to your future customer I have a great marketing solution for you, but no I don't use it for myself.
Maybe it makes only sense when you have a website and so. Wish you all the best!

MathewH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 2, 2019
At least we agree on one topic. Look I get it, it's not the right time for you to run google ads. And maybe it's not the way to get your first few clients, but selling google ads as a service while not having any google ads running is a little strange for me. So you say to your future customer I have a great marketing solution for you, but no I don't use it for myself.
Maybe it makes only sense when you have a website and so. Wish you all the best!
I understand where your coming from, and thank you for the wishes!
In time we will see about setting up a website that's for sure.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Don't know where exactly you're working. But if it's rather a local supermarket you could even ask them. Your service would be free and they just pay for the ads. But clearly doesn't work if you're working for Cosco or so. :)

MathewH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 2, 2019
Haha sadly I work for a huge supermarket, although I'm eager to get a client I don't think that's an option :p

MathewH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 2, 2019
Hi everyone just thought I'd out an update in here, I joined a networking group that has zoom calls and I was able to get my first client who lives down south of the country.

He's on a free trial at the minute on very good terms with him have a phone call now and then and text regularly, he's just starting out in exterior cleaning so if it works he's more than happy to pay my monthly fee.

I think what I'm stuck on now is that I have my first client, built so far a great relationship.... I'm hoping it will have a snowball effect in the group in getting more clients, but I feel like I should be doing more to get clients?

Iv been working full time but If anyone has any recommendations on getting clients please share.

I have taken people's advice and iv set up a simple website and I post regularly on linked in.

Hope your all staying safe!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just wanted to say I’ve never run Google Ads for my own service.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi everyone just thought I'd out an update in here, I joined a networking group that has zoom calls and I was able to get my first client who lives down south of the country.

He's on a free trial at the minute on very good terms with him have a phone call now and then and text regularly, he's just starting out in exterior cleaning so if it works he's more than happy to pay my monthly fee.

I think what I'm stuck on now is that I have my first client, built so far a great relationship.... I'm hoping it will have a snowball effect in the group in getting more clients, but I feel like I should be doing more to get clients?

Iv been working full time but If anyone has any recommendations on getting clients please share.

I have taken people's advice and iv set up a simple website and I post regularly on linked in.

Hope your all staying safe!
Start documenting what you’re doing with those campaigns. Blur out confidential bits. Maybe get the guy’s permission beforehand too.

Does that networking group with the regular Zoom calls have a Facebook group or Slack channel?

MathewH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 2, 2019
Hi @Andy Black document as in post it in my fb page and website? Or document it for myself.

The networking group are apparently making a group soon which I'll be all over like white on rice

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi @Andy Black document as in post it in my fb page and website? Or document it for myself.

The networking group are apparently making a group soon which I'll be all over like white on rice
At the very least I document for myself. What I'm doing, what the results are, what works, what doesn't. With screenshots as I go along so I can repeat it later. This has come from 15 years in IT support where we had to screenshot all the work we were doing, why, the results, the time taken, etc.

It's for my own benefit mostly, but if I then post where others can see then a few people will start to tuck in behind you and follow, *and* people will start asking you questions about what you're doing, and start referring to you as "The XYZ Guy".

"Progress Threads" are an excellent way of doing this. In previous forums they were called "Follow Alongs". What I find funny is the Twitter world thinks it's a new thing. They even have a new hashtag for it: #buildinpublic.

If that group has an online place then create a progress thread and document as you go along. People interested will follow. You'll start getting known as "The XYZ Guy". Post the same stuff in other locations. It helps people. It's seen to help people. It comes back to you. Simple really.

Some examples:

MathewH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 2, 2019
Thanks @Andy Black i didn't even think about the threads tbh I didn't even know about them, I'm going to ask if I can do a thread in that group and I'm going to start one on fb and twitter!

I think I will have to try and find a way to get on a local networking group too

MathewH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 2, 2019
Posting helpful things on linked in and adding people with the same connections has grown my linked in suprisingly fast, and iv had 2 people ask if I'd be interested in working together, just thought I'd say that

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Posting helpful things on linked in and adding people with the same connections has grown my linked in suprisingly fast, and iv had 2 people ask if I'd be interested in working together, just thought I'd say that
Well done. Just get out there being helpful and connecting with like-minded people and good things start happening.

I presume you've seen this thread before:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.