The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

SMMA: The Fool's Gold

A post of a ranting nature...

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
(Warning: Long-winded post about SMMA ahead. Continue at your own peril.)

I can't help but notice a trend...

1691594892409.png

There must be some huge promos going out in the biz opp space right now that makes everyone and their mother think it's a good idea to start a social media marketing agency.

First things first: if it wasn't YOUR idea to start this business -- you probably shouldn't do it.

It's okay to be inspired by someone and say "Wow! I want to do THAT!" ... but if someone sold you on the idea that "the only way to make money is..." or "the biggest opportunity in the market is..." or "here's how I would make money in 2023..." then you've been bamboozled.

When you get a chance, look up the name Samuel Brannan. He's famous for selling shovels during the California gold rush. But if you skip the headline and actually read the story, you'd know that he literally bought every shovel and pickaxe in Northern California.. and THEN started rumors that there was gold everywhere if only you just "knew where to look" and "had the right tools" ... the marketing campaign worked and it spread like wildfire ... when everyone wanted to buy shovels -- guess who had them all?

If you don't see the correllation, let me spell it out for you:

Someone tricked you into starting a business that you know nothing about.

Yes, there's gold to be found. There are PLENTY of SUCCESSFUL social media marketing agencies... but you've got to know where to find the gold, how to dig it up, and what's real gold versus what's fool's gold.

And how does one acquire that knowledge? Lots of punches in the face. Lots of failures. Lots of mistakes. Long, long, LONG hours of reading, studying, living on social media to understand the latest trends, how to game the system, what you need to do to get eyeballs -- because let's not kid ourselves, your one and ONLY job as a social media marketing agency is to drive qualified traffic to an offer.

If you don't know how to do that, you've got two options: 1. Learn how, or 2. Quit.

In these threads I screenshotted about, people pointed out that:

• No business is "Fastlane" unless it meets CENTS. And that's OKAY. If your goal is to earn a living -- you don't need to meet those commandments. Also see: MJ's descripton of "good money vs great money"

• Saying you're going to start a SMMA when you don't even have the ability to make creatives, write short-form copy, edit, create content schedules, etc ... is like saying you're going to become a world champion boxer at your first class of booty bootcamp.

• It's a highly competitive scene... but NOT because everybody is amazing at it. It's because every other idiot gets convinced that THIS is the opportunity that WILL CHANGE THEIR LIFE! So they overpromise and underdeliver. They spend all day trying to sell through sleazy tactics instead of letting their work speak for themselves. They trick someone into paying them, do shitty work until they get fired, and then move on to the next sucker thinking they are a "real business owner".

BUT... if none of that has disuaded you from your goal and would like some unsolicited advice for building your SMMA... read on:

As many of you know, by night I am a male stripper/crime fighter/astronaut.

By day, I am a fractional CMO for a few companies and have a little coaching platform.

One of those is true. I'll let you decide which.

I am CONSTANTLY looking for talented social media managers and they are very few and far in between.

3-4 times a week I get a referral, cold call, or cold e-mail and I can't wait to talk to them hoping they might be "the one" ... but when I explain the standards I hold for the brands we're managing -- they all look like this:

nervous-collar.gif

You're still reading this...? Well, let me give you an example:

For one company I work with there's 6 people who handle Instagram. We post 6 times per day, 7 days per week. 2-3 reels, 2-4 sliders (and an occasional static image). That means the team needs to find at LEAST 100 ideas for posts per week (60%ish usually get shot down in the content meeting), write 14-21 engaging scripts for the talent to record, get them to actually record it, edit those videos, write copy for the captions, find the right hashtags, write copy for the slider posts, design them on brand, and physically post ON TIME (we've noticed a dramatic decrease in reach with automated posting services so someone actually posts). It's an international audience so someone is up at 4am their time to post. There's also an extensive "shout-out" strategy where we look for small, medium, and big influencers in the space and pay for shout-outs. THAT content goes through a dramatic gladiator style battle where only the best performing content gets used as ads.

The bar for non-CTA posts is 500k views +. For CTA posts, it's 50k. We don't track the other vanity metrics besides reach. That means EVERY. SINGLE. POST. has to be a winner.

... but when you realize IG is ONE of the socials we're utilizing every day... you start to see how the work multiplies. Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, LinkedIn...

This is generating 2,000-3,000 leads per week and 150-300 booked (and approved) appointments for sales calls.

The first question I ask any new SMMA wanting to win business is "here's our numbers, can you beat them? I will gladly pay you loads of money to do so."

Two responses I get: "absolutely not" and "OF COURSE I CAN DO THAT!"

I respect the first answer. The second answer gets a grilling "show me where you've done this with other people." (and it has to be THEM, not the "team" they were a pat of, not the "guru" they worked for -- THEY had to be directly responsible for results)

Now why be so tough on this? Because this is where we get booked calls. Booked calls for the salespeople on the team. If the salespeople don't get booked calls, they can't make sales. If they can't make sales, they can't afford to feed their families.

It is our responsbility and moral obligation to do everything we can to support them and the rest of the company because (get this) we actually care about people and we're not ONLY doing it to siphon cash off of some sucker who thinks they need a SMMA.

If you don't perform, everyone loses their job and the company goes out of business.

Marketing and sales is what brings in the money. It's the most important part of any business. If you're READY for that responsbility, here's my advice:

• Ignore everyone's advice about "social media is toxic, stay away from it" -- because it's literally your JOB. Use viralfinder, actively engage on the platforms, learn something new about it every day. Save cool posts for later. Don't scroll through your phone without a notebook nearby to write ideas down on. Create a "vault" of unicorn posts (Posts that went viral on similar accounts in the same industry that you can recreate and make your own).

• Pick ONE social media channel to be an expert in. If you think you can handle more than one (especially just starting out) -- you're downright delusional. IG, FB, YT, TT -- they all have VERY different ecosystems and VERY different cultures. What works on one does NOT necessarily work on another.

• Instead of spending your money investing in courses trying to teach you how to do this stuff... invest your TIME in studying people who are SUCCESSFUL at it. BUT -- I highly recommend studying someone who is just a few steps ahead of you. Here's an example of a girl I hired last year off of Fiverr:

Super professional gal, look at her portoflio. She tries to get better EVERY day and constantly has a waitlist. While she wouldn't be able to handle the accounts I referenced above -- this level of the business is within reach to anyone with a dream, some motivation, and some discipline.

• Stop referencing Gary Vee or Alex Hormozi every other sentence. You can't do what they do. You're not at that level. This is not an insult, it's the truth. Their advice on social wouldn't even make sense to most people who are not "in the trenches" every day and even if it did -- they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to execute on those strategies... PER MONTH.

• Don't know where to start? Start with your own accounts. Create a nameless/faceless account about cats or pickles -- whatever the subject matter -- who cares -- but you need to be able to SHOW people your work. That Turkish girl? I can practically guarnatee her original portfolio she just made 30 posts of each kind on Canva as a portfolio to showcase what it could look like.

• Work hard.
  • No, like actually work hard.

• Dude, it's hard F*cking work. So you actually have to WORK HARD AT IT.

• If you get good (and can prove it), I've got big contracts for you.

Last thought: the top is lonely. The bottom is where everything is overcrowded and oversaturated. If you ever think something is "oversaturated", the harsh reality is: you suck at it.

Get better.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Love y'all.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
To me, SMMA is just "another one of those" opportunities that get marketed to people who want to start a business but have no experience in business and don't want to work that hard. So these bizopp guys sell "business-in-a-box" solutions targeting people who have gotten themselves into a YouTube/Instagram/TikTok content rabbit hole, knowing that most of these people won't be successful.

Not long ago it was Amazon business, eBay business, Kindle business, Shopify business...

Soon you'll have "Start an AI agency from scratch with no experience", "Start a short form video agency with no experience", "Buy online businesses with no money and no experience"... whatever the next big "easy" thing is, it'll be sold as a "shovels" opportunity.

With that said, I learned a TON about paid traffic by getting a job doing it. Many entry-level jobs require no experience, just certifications. I imagine someone wanting to start doing SMM could get a job working as a low-level employee on a team who is able to generate traffic using social media, learn how to do it, then do it on the side for others in non-competitive industries.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
What all these people NEED to do is start an AI based SEM AGENCY!

That's the REAL next big thing. My course for

:moneybag: AISEM Riche$ :moneybag:

Coming soon!

For early access and the secrets to the best Fastlane endeavour you can have with little to no experience, sign up here.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
To me, SMMA is just "another one of those" opportunities that get marketed to people who want to start a business but have no experience in business and don't want to work that hard. So these bizopp guys sell "business-in-a-box" solutions targeting people who have gotten themselves into a YouTube/Instagram/TikTok content rabbit hole, knowing that most of these people won't be successful.

Not long ago it was Amazon business, eBay business, Kindle business, Shopify business...

Soon you'll have "Start an AI agency from scratch with no experience", "Start a short form video agency with no experience", "Buy online businesses with no money and no experience"... whatever the next big "easy" thing is, it'll be sold as a "shovels" opportunity.

With that said, I learned a TON about paid traffic by getting a job doing it. Many entry-level jobs require no experience, just certifications. I imagine someone wanting to start doing SMM could get a job working as a low-level employee on a team who is able to generate traffic using social media, learn how to do it, then do it on the side for others in non-competitive industries.

It's like this weird cycle of...

"I'm going to start X business"!

That's a great idea!

"Yeah, so-and-so told me it's going to make me rich after I give them $X,xxx.xx!"

Er, no, not like that.

"Oh, KungFuSteve said it's a STUPID IDEA and a STUPID BUSINESS and it's ALL A SCAM!"

No, I didn't say that I said ---

"EVERYTHING IS A SCAM... I'm going to start an Etsy store! So-and-so TOLD ME it's the only way to make money because X business is a SCAM and OVERSATURATED!"

:humph:

That's the REAL next big thing. My course to AISEM riches coming soon! For early access and the secrets to the best Fastlane endeavour you can have with little to no experience, sign up here.

I'm very disappointed that you didn't use this video...

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I'm very disappointed that you didn't use this video...

Thank you for stepping on my joke. I was planning on using it once "someone" made me aware of the "broken link". :rofl:

Sometimes I like to make the people wait for it. It's better that way...

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Thank you for stepping on my joke. I was planning on using it once "someone" made me aware of the "broken link". :rofl:

Sometimes I like to make the people wait for it. It's better that way...
get gooder

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
There is literally a whole chapter about SMMA written in The Fastlane Millionaire.

I assume 99% of the people have read the book (which led them here). So why asking about it?

Lochlan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Aug 9, 2023

View attachment 50654

There must be some huge promos going out in the biz opp space right now that makes everyone and their mother think it's a good idea to start a social media marketing agency.

First things first: if it wasn't YOUR idea to start this business -- you probably shouldn't do it.

It's okay to be inspired by someone and say "Wow! I want to do THAT!" ... but if someone sold you on the idea that "the only way to make money is..." or "the biggest opportunity in the market is..." or "here's how I would make money in 2023..." then you've been bamboozled.

When you get a chance, look up the name Samuel Brannan. He's famous for selling shovels during the California gold rush. But if you skip the headline and actually read the story, you'd know that he literally bought every shovel and pickaxe in Northern California.. and THEN started rumors that there was gold everywhere if only you just "knew where to look" and "had the right tools" ... the marketing campaign worked and it spread like wildfire ... when everyone wanted to buy shovels -- guess who had them all?

Yes, there's gold to be found. There are PLENTY of SUCCESSFUL social media marketing agencies... but you've got to know where to find the gold, how to dig it up, and what's real gold versus what's fool's gold.

And how does one acquire that knowledge? Lots of punches in the face. Lots of failures. Lots of mistakes. Long, long, LONG hours of reading, studying, living on social media to understand the latest trends, how to game the system, what you need to do to get eyeballs -- because let's not kid ourselves, your one and ONLY job as a social media marketing agency is to drive qualified traffic to an offer.

If you don't know how to do that, you've got two options: 1. Learn how, or 2. Quit.

• No business is "Fastlane" unless it meets CENTS. And that's OKAY. If your goal is to earn a living -- you don't need to meet those commandments. Also see: MJ's descripton of "good money vs great money"

• Saying you're going to start a SMMA when you don't even have the ability to make creatives, write short-form copy, edit, create content schedules, etc ... is like saying you're going to become a world champion boxer at your first class of booty bootcamp.

• It's a highly competitive scene... but NOT because everybody is amazing at it. It's because every other idiot gets convinced that THIS is the opportunity that WILL CHANGE THEIR LIFE! So they overpromise and underdeliver. They spend all day trying to sell through sleazy tactics instead of letting their work speak for themselves. They trick someone into paying them, do shitty work until they get fired, and then move on to the next sucker thinking they are a "real business owner".

BUT... if none of that has disuaded you from your goal and would like some unsolicited advice for building your SMMA... read on:

By day, I am a fractional CMO for a few companies and have a little coaching platform.

I am CONSTANTLY looking for talented social media managers and they are very few and far in between.

3-4 times a week I get a referral, cold call, or cold e-mail and I can't wait to talk to them hoping they might be "the one" ... but when I explain the standards I hold for the brands we're managing -- they all look like this:

nervous-collar.gif

For one company I work with there's 6 people who handle Instagram. We post 6 times per day, 7 days per week. 2-3 reels, 2-4 sliders (and an occasional static image). That means the team needs to find at LEAST 100 ideas for posts per week (60%ish usually get shot down in the content meeting), write 14-21 engaging scripts for the talent to record, get them to actually record it, edit those videos, write copy for the captions, find the right hashtags, write copy for the slider posts, design them on brand, and physically post ON TIME (we've noticed a dramatic decrease in reach with automated posting services so someone actually posts). It's an international audience so someone is up at 4am their time to post. There's also an extensive "shout-out" strategy where we look for small, medium, and big influencers in the space and pay for shout-outs. THAT content goes through a dramatic gladiator style battle where only the best performing content gets used as ads.

The bar for non-CTA posts is 500k views +. For CTA posts, it's 50k. We don't track the other vanity metrics besides reach. That means EVERY. SINGLE. POST. has to be a winner.

... but when you realize IG is ONE of the socials we're utilizing every day... you start to see how the work multiplies. Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, LinkedIn...

This is generating 2,000-3,000 leads per week and 150-300 booked (and approved) appointments for sales calls.

The first question I ask any new SMMA wanting to win business is "here's our numbers, can you beat them? I will gladly pay you loads of money to do so."

I respect the first answer. The second answer gets a grilling "show me where you've done this with other people." (and it has to be THEM, not the "team" they were a pat of, not the "guru" they worked for -- THEY had to be directly responsible for results)

Now why be so tough on this? Because this is where we get booked calls. Booked calls for the salespeople on the team. If the salespeople don't get booked calls, they can't make sales. If they can't make sales, they can't afford to feed their families.

It is our responsbility and moral obligation to do everything we can to support them and the rest of the company because (get this) we actually care about people and we're not ONLY doing it to siphon cash off of some sucker who thinks they need a SMMA.

If you don't perform, everyone loses their job and the company goes out of business.

Marketing and sales is what brings in the money. It's the most important part of any business. If you're READY for that responsbility, here's my advice:

• Ignore everyone's advice about "social media is toxic, stay away from it" -- because it's literally your JOB. Use viralfinder, actively engage on the platforms, learn something new about it every day. Save cool posts for later. Don't scroll through your phone without a notebook nearby to write ideas down on. Create a "vault" of unicorn posts (Posts that went viral on similar accounts in the same industry that you can recreate and make your own).

• Pick ONE social media channel to be an expert in. If you think you can handle more than one (especially just starting out) -- you're downright delusional. IG, FB, YT, TT -- they all have VERY different ecosystems and VERY different cultures. What works on one does NOT necessarily work on another.

• Instead of spending your money investing in courses trying to teach you how to do this stuff... invest your TIME in studying people who are SUCCESSFUL at it. BUT -- I highly recommend studying someone who is just a few steps ahead of you. Here's an example of a girl I hired last year off of Fiverr:

Super professional gal, look at her portoflio. She tries to get better EVERY day and constantly has a waitlist. While she wouldn't be able to handle the accounts I referenced above -- this level of the business is within reach to anyone with a dream, some motivation, and some discipline.

• Stop referencing Gary Vee or Alex Hormozi every other sentence. You can't do what they do. You're not at that level. This is not an insult, it's the truth. Their advice on social wouldn't even make sense to most people who are not "in the trenches" every day and even if it did -- they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to execute on those strategies... PER MONTH.

• Don't know where to start? Start with your own accounts. Create a nameless/faceless account about cats or pickles -- whatever the subject matter -- who cares -- but you need to be able to SHOW people your work. That Turkish girl? I can practically guarnatee her original portfolio she just made 30 posts of each kind on Canva as a portfolio to showcase what it could look like.

• Work hard.

Last thought: the top is lonely. The bottom is where everything is overcrowded and oversaturated. If you ever think something is "oversaturated", the harsh reality is: you suck at it.

Get better.

Love y'all.
I feel stupid Ive been way over my head this whole time I was thinking of starting an SMMA I dont even know what that stuff was on that fiver account you linked I'm 15 I was planing on starting an smma in a few months I just realised how crazy I was I had no idea the work you had to put in, I liked trusting the guys on youtube but now I don't feel like following a business model ever again, I don't think im going to look for a business model again I think I'm just gonna try find an idea that can be fastlane and excute the hell out of it. I'm not even computer smart I still don't know how this forum works

Lochlan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Aug 9, 2023
There is literally a whole chapter about SMMA written in The Fastlane Millionaire.

I assume 99% of the people have read the book (which led them here). So why asking about it?
There is !!!!??!!

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior

90% of people who buy a book don't get past the first chapter.

I feel stupid Ive been way over my head this whole time I was thinking of starting an SMMA I dont even know what that stuff was on that fiver account you linked I'm 15 I was planing on starting an smma in a few months I just realised how crazy I was I had no idea the work you had to put in, I liked trusting the guys on youtube but now I don't feel like following a business model ever again, I don't think im going to look for a business model again I think I'm just gonna try find an idea that can be fastlane and excute the hell out of it. I'm not even computer smart I still don't know how this forum works

Please hear me: I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other. But it needs to be YOUR decision, not anybody else's.

It's hard to define the difference between a "medium" and a "business" or a "business model" and a "business" but I'll try.

In my world view, there is no such thing as a "Youtuber" or an "Instagram Business" or a "Facebook Group Coaching Business" -- those are all just PLACES you can put your offer. Years ago I would get hit up by every advertising company on the planet. Yellowpages, Billboards, Radio, Movie Theater ads... but just because I got a lot of business from the Yellowpages doesn't mean I was a "Yellowpages Business" -- I was a karate school.

There are a lot of people trying to convince you right now that a MEDIUM is a BUSINESS -- and it just isn't.

That being said, I DO pay a lot of people for their advice on how to best use that medium (I've bought a lot of courses on Instagram, Facebook Groups, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.) -- BUT I'm doing it IN SPITE of knowing it's not a real "business" by itself. Does that make sense?

When someone sells you a "Social Media Marketing Agency" -- they are selling you a shitty franchise. They SHOULD be including every single step from your own website to copy to email campaigns to ad campaigns and they should be giving you a brand you can leverage... unfortunately they don't do any of that.

If you buy a McDonalds franchise... because someone convinced you to start a BAFMA (a Burger And Fries Marketing Agency), they would supply you with EVERYTHING you needed to be successful. And if you didn't follow their system EXACTLY, they'd kick you out.

That's a key difference.

Most of these guys are trying to sell you half-baked ideas they don't even use themselves, aren't documented, don't have standard operating procedures, or anything else.

I would love to be proven wrong -- show me one person who has a program THAT detailed and are willing to kick you out if you don't do it right?

I hope this is making sense. You're young and extremely hungry. You're gonna go far. Right now just focus on your education and if you want, go apprentice under someone for a while to learn something -- if that's Social media management? So be it, go find one and study with them. Do some work for free. Go above and beyond. And just learn and see if it's something you even want to do.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Please hear me: I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other. But it needs to be YOUR decision, not anybody else's.

It's hard to define the difference between a "medium" and a "business" or a "business model" and a "business" but I'll try.

In my world view, there is no such thing as a "Youtuber" or an "Instagram Business" or a "Facebook Group Coaching Business" -- those are all just PLACES you can put your offer. Years ago I would get hit up by every advertising company on the planet. Yellowpages, Billboards, Radio, Movie Theater ads... but just because I got a lot of business from the Yellowpages doesn't mean I was a "Yellowpages Business" -- I was a karate school.

There are a lot of people trying to convince you right now that a MEDIUM is a BUSINESS -- and it just isn't.

That being said, I DO pay a lot of people for their advice on how to best use that medium (I've bought a lot of courses on Instagram, Facebook Groups, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.) -- BUT I'm doing it IN SPITE of knowing it's not a real "business" by itself. Does that make sense?

When someone sells you a "Social Media Marketing Agency" -- they are selling you a shitty franchise. They SHOULD be including every single step from your own website to copy to email campaigns to ad campaigns and they should be giving you a brand you can leverage... unfortunately they don't do any of that.

If you buy a McDonalds franchise... because someone convinced you to start a BAFMA (a Burger And Fries Marketing Agency), they would supply you with EVERYTHING you needed to be successful. And if you didn't follow their system EXACTLY, they'd kick you out.

That's a key difference.

Most of these guys are trying to sell you half-baked ideas they don't even use themselves, aren't documented, don't have standard operating procedures, or anything else.

I would love to be proven wrong -- show me one person who has a program THAT detailed and are willing to kick you out if you don't do it right?

I hope this is making sense. You're young and extremely hungry. You're gonna go far. Right now just focus on your education and if you want, go apprentice under someone for a while to learn something -- if that's Social media management? So be it, go find one and study with them. Do some work for free. Go above and beyond. And just learn and see if it's something you even want to do.

Man, that's a great point.

That's the REAL next big thing. My course for

:moneybag: AISEM Riche$ :moneybag:

Coming soon!

For early access and the secrets to the best Fastlane endeavour you can have with little to no experience, sign up here.

Spoiler alert. When you sign up for my announcement newsletter you will learn how to become MY FRANCHISEE.

Turn key business model makes you and me money or I'll KICK YOU OUT!!

Act now to begin your journey to :gold: AISEM Riche$ :gold:

No. Wait.

I'll have @Kung Fu Steve kick you out. He kicks harder than me.

Lochlan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Aug 9, 2023

That's a key difference.

Thank you so much for all your advice, joining this forum has probably been the best thing I’ve done this month, just being able to talk to people who aren’t trying to make money from me and actually know what they are talking about is game changing for me, helping me get some more perspective from people smarter then me who understand business

MartinG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 22, 2015

What certifications did you get? Thanks

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
Sorry, but there isn't.

Damn, I confused with affiliate marketing (those english acronyms!). I have to read it again I guess. :happy:

Apologies to the OP then! But even if it's not in the book, there is already plenty of discussion about it on the forum.

(it's 2am here folks, I'm on a working spree, please don't mock me too much, brb getting some coffee)

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
What certifications did you get? Thanks

None lol. I did the Facebook blueprint & Andy Black's course though!

Just look at job postings & see what certifications they ask for, then get those. Certs are generally worthless but some companies want them anyway for some reason

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Damn, I confused with affiliate marketing (those english acronyms!). I have to read it again I guess. :happy:

No problem, I figured it was an issue with translation.

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
No problem, I figured it was an issue with translation.

Don't worry, I just checked and all is right (in the french version at least).

Sometime the issue is not from the book, but from the reader!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If you can run a SMMA successfully then you can market your own business for a fraction of what everyone is paying. So go create a business and use your SMM skills.

I wrote about this a while back but it was SEO. Me and a competitor were actively getting links. But I did myself and my competitor was paying for links through a marketing agency.

I was paying a guy on fiverr $50 a week. They were paying an agency say $200 and ultimately getting the same $50 links I was getting. Maybe the agency outsourced the work to the same guy! Point is, my competitor was paying for agency margins and a level of management.

They were spending 4x compared to me to keep up. I could outspend them easily and create a huge gap in rankings.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
If you can run a SMMA successfully then you can market your own business for a fraction of what everyone is paying. So go create a business and use your SMM skills.

I think this is the underrated statement here. You work really hard to get those skills and then you sit and say "well, why don't I just do it for myself then?"

All the best talent I'm after these days have their own thing going on so it's hard to convince them to do projects with me.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Back when I was on FBA the best Amazon “guru” was a guy no one had heard of.

No one heard of him, because he F*cking sucked at selling courses and was awful at that kind of marketing.

Because he was too busy crushing it on Amazon… executing strategies he cooked up that no one was talking about.

There’s a parallel point I was trying to make here somewhere…

Lochlan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Aug 9, 2023

View attachment 50654

nervous-collar.gif

• Work hard.

Get better.

Love y'all
Where would u rank it on the effort to reward matrix graph Effort to reward matrix photo graph thing

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Majority of "SMMAs" are hackjobs made up of people who just do generic stuff like the ones you see on marketing blogs on every single site about the topic. Most of them know nuts about marketing or design/coding but want to offer full fledge "SMMA" services including web development. And this includes all those "SMMA" guys with threads in the screenshot in the first post above.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Back when I was on FBA the best Amazon “guru” was a guy no one had heard of.

No one heard of him, because he F*cking sucked at selling courses and was awful at that kind of marketing.

Because he was too busy crushing it on Amazon… executing strategies he cooked up that no one was talking about.

There’s a parallel point I was trying to make here somewhere…

I know 3 different $50 million/year+ revenue guys on Amazon... two of them started courses and were just awful. Not only at selling the course and selling coaching (it's a VERY different sale than a frying pan)... but they were horrible at teaching what they did/do to build their businesses.

One of them came to me for some advice and his program is 25k. I referred a few people over -- the dude DOES have a 100% success rate... but "success" in that business is interesting... you can make money, sure, but everything basically has to go back into inventory. It's a couple of years before you can pull anything out. I now know a couple of people who are doing between 300k and $1mm on Amazon and still haven't been able to take a salary :hilarious:

Had to have a real heart-to-heart with him and be like "dude... just sell shit on Amazon and live your life. Why are you bothering with this coaching business. It's silly."

I think those guys get bored and once they've "won" they don't know what to do with themselves.

Where would u rank it on the effort to reward matrix graph Effort to reward matrix photo graph thing

1. Good question: I have no freaking clue.

2. Bad question: because you missed the point. Maybe I'm wrong, but that question makes it seem like you're still looking for the easy button. "Is this business easy enough and rewarding enough that it's worth the effort?"

Only you can decide that.

More unsolicited advice: go learn a skill. at your age, you're going to try a LOT of things and what you think is "your thing" today, more than likely won't be it... and that's OK. Because you can F*ck up for another 20 years and you still won't be my age :p

Lochlan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Aug 9, 2023
Majority of "SMMAs" are hackjobs made up of people who just do generic stuff like the ones you see on marketing blogs on every single site about the topic. Most of them know nuts about marketing or design/coding but want to offer full fledge "SMMA" services including web development. And this includes all those "SMMA" guys with threads in the screenshot in the first post above.
Facts ik nothing about marketing bar a few things I like to imagine that ik more than the average business owner though but that’s because of how smma in marketed on utube it’s marketed as this easy strat that any teen can do cause they know how to use a computer better then millennials

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Apologies to the OP then! But even if it's not in the book, there is already plenty of discussion about it on the forum.

(it's 2am here folks, I'm on a working spree, please don't mock me too much, brb getting some coffee)
TMF may not discuss SMMA, but the dynamics are similar with that for affiliate marketing in the sense that the folks pumping the Amway shit didn't tell you about the brutal work needed to sell the health wares.

There is a reason why I never work for Malaysian agencies anymore.

My last agency client from local was for an SEO outfit-turned-full deck services.
I don't know how I survived the last few months of work with them. So many deliverables to churn out as @Kung Fu Steve shared...plenty to learn...but the shitty expectations of the higher-ups on the lead time and revisions just built up into trash.

Until Malaysian companies understand this, they will continue to get F*cked over and trapped in the limited local space.

Ignore everyone's advice about "social media is toxic, stay away from it" -- because it's literally your JOB. Use viralfinder, actively engage on the platforms, learn something new about it every day. Save cool posts for later. Don't scroll through your phone without a notebook nearby to write ideas down on. Create a "vault" of unicorn posts (Posts that went viral on similar accounts in the same industry that you can recreate and make your own).
I would add here:

Please buy things (whatever you need, of course).

Don't be a miserly Slowlane-Scrooge and shut yourself off from the buying experience. Even buying stuff can help educate you on what customers read and respond to regularly.

Think of what social media post/media you read...and what gave you the thoughts that led to the purchase.

Waiting too for such a program myself.

This is one problem I have with copywriting courses...most do not teach even basic sales funnels, which should actually be amongst the initial checklist items before you write any single word of copy. Courses that teach the writing technique that matches the typical SMMA workflow? Creatives? Ha ha.

This is also why I look down on college marketing classes.

They won't teach all these. They'll only hope for internships to teach you these, which by then is TOO late.

IMO, digital marketing must be made into one of those trades that requires apprenticeships, just like blue collar work. I do know some gurus who do offer this model, but they are naturally, very limited-- and only focus on one marketing platform (e.g. solely on email).

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
There is a reason why I never work for Malaysian agencies anymore.

My last agency client from local was for an SEO outfit-turned-full deck services.
I don't know how I survived the last few months of work with them. So many deliverables to churn out as @Kung Fu Steve shared...plenty to learn...but the shitty expectations of the higher-ups on the lead time and revisions just built up into trash.

Until Malaysian companies understand this, they will continue to get F*cked over and trapped in the limited local space.

This happens to agencies everywhere (not just Malaysia) because of the business model : hire the least amount of staff to do the most amount of projects to maximize the profit returns for the bosses. There is a proper term for these sort of workplaces including the kind Steve is talking about : Sweatshops. lol

Staff clock in at 9 am or earlier, work nonstop till 8 - 9 pm, and bring back the laptop home to continue from 11 pm to 3 am lol, almost daily, and forgo all their weekends. This isn't just exchanging 5 days for 2, it's doing 7 days for 0 at the same fixed salary, and working nonstop at maximum intensity.

For anyone here who can't find their FTE, they should try working in an agency.

For people who want to start an agency, you should find countries where the government offers grants (e.g: 50% grant for website dev/SMMA work) to small businesses. Then, pitch this grant to small businesses there ("get a website done for only 50% off") and make this your "business model", and roll in the big bucks lol That's how many of the "agencies" here operate and the bosses are all driving supercars.

dru-man

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jun 7, 2013
Southeast Asia
Man, that was a great post. Really hit home what hard work really looks like in what so many consider to be an easy industry.

On the bright side, the willingness to pour that type of effort and time into the learning/ implementation is rare.

Considerably raising the barrier to (actual) entry.

Lochlan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Aug 9, 2023
I know 3 different $50 million/year+ revenue guys on Amazon... two of them started courses and were just awful. Not only at selling the course and selling coaching (it's a VERY different sale than a frying pan)... but they were horrible at teaching what they did/do to build their businesses.

One of them came to me for some advice and his program is 25k. I referred a few people over -- the dude DOES have a 100% success rate... but "success" in that business is interesting... you can make money, sure, but everything basically has to go back into inventory. It's a couple of years before you can pull anything out. I now know a couple of people who are doing between 300k and $1mm on Amazon and still haven't been able to take a salary :hilarious:

Had to have a real heart-to-heart with him and be like "dude... just sell shit on Amazon and live your life. Why are you bothering with this coaching business. It's silly."

I think those guys get bored and once they've "won" they don't know what to do with themselves.

1. Good question: I have no freaking clue.

2. Bad question: because you missed the point. Maybe I'm wrong, but that question makes it seem like you're still looking for the easy button. "Is this business easy enough and rewarding enough that it's worth the effort?"

Only you can decide that.

More unsolicited advice: go learn a skill. at your age, you're going to try a LOT of things and what you think is "your thing" today, more than likely won't be it... and that's OK. Because you can F*ck up for another 20 years and you still won't be my age :p
Thanks for the advice, I know that smma is hard and so is any business but I’m wondering if it’s very rewarding. I’ll follow your words of advice for not looking for an easy business in life cause I know there isn’t any and if there is the masses will have gone to it making it incredibly competitive for little reward

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.