The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shut your mouth and get to work.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I was raking in the cash and needed an extra pair of hands to keep things rolling. Enter my mother. She had reluctantly taken up the unenviable task of managing the accounts receivable while I hunted for a suitable employee.

Let's back up a bit, though.

See, my mother had always been the voice of pragmatism. She wasn't exactly the cheerleader for my entrepreneurial ambitions. And truth be told, who could blame her? I'd been running with one idea after another, tripping up more often than not, while she sent up her daily mantra from the foot of the stairs, "GET A JOB BABY!"

So, picture this. She's poring over the invoices, numbers running into six figures, and she looks at me wide-eyed, "You're owed all this?" I nod, and her jaw quite literally drops. That was it. That was the moment her doubt evaporated, replaced with a newfound faith in my entrepreneurial pursuits. Years later, I'd take great pleasure in wiping off her mortgage with one check.

So here's the thing. My mom's skepticism was annihilated by tangible results. DONE wiped DOUBT off the map.

One colossal mistake a greenhorn entrepreneur lusting after the good life, complete control over time, and a life that thrums with purpose can make is to yak away.

Yep, talk.

I'm referring to the trap of unveiling your lofty dreams and ambitions to the average Joe or Jane leading an average life. See, these folks are soaked in a culture that worships the Scripted life, where being a victim and average are seen as virtues.

Take a gander at the fresh-faced enthusiasts popping into the forum here, and it's clear that their problems are not about business or Fastlane, CENTS, or a lack of ideas. It's about feeling adrift in a sea of skepticism.

Remember the wisdom of Mom: "Talk is cheap."

Replace "plans" with "pipe dreams," and you've pretty much summed up the general sentiment.

So here's the deal: Save your words.

And don't even think about that Instagram story.

The unsettling truth you've got to swallow is that not only does no one care, they don't believe you either. Even when they pat your back or smash that like button, they're still doubtful and expect you to falter.

Put up a post about a shiny new promotion or a job, and watch the likes rain.

But talk about launching your own venture, and you'll be greeted with deafening silence.

What's more, those closest to you might try to douse your dreams. Resistance could even escalate to threats – of divorce, eviction, or cutting off financial aid. Defying conventional wisdom? Brace yourself for a barrage of 'common sense' from commoners stuck in the rat race.

"No one gets rich quick!"
"Retiring with millions in your 30s? Yeah, right!"
"Most startups are doomed!"
"DeMarco is just another snake oil salesman selling dreams!"

But here's the thing. This skepticism isn't unwarranted. It's rooted in reality because talk is, indeed, cheap. Announcing grand plans is easy, but walking the talk? That's the real grind. You can't make the skeptics see the light with mere chit-chat. You can thrust a book in their face, but you can't force them to believe it.

Living by someone else's opinion means living their life, not yours.

The only antidote to doubt is to act, to deliver, to get it done.

Done is pulling into your parents' driveway in a brand-new, loan-free Ferrari. Done is hiring your uncle because business is booming. Done is watching your mother's jaw drop as she deals with six-figure invoices and then surprising her with a mortgage-free life.

Done is achievement. Done is the ultimate doubt-killer.

Enough said.

Shut your mouth, quit sharing pipe dreams from your parent's attic, and get to work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was raking in the cash and needed an extra pair of hands to keep things rolling. Enter my mother. She had reluctantly taken up the unenviable task of managing the accounts receivable while I hunted for a suitable employee.

See, my mother had always been the voice of pragmatism. She wasn't exactly the cheerleader for my entrepreneurial ambitions. And truth be told, who could blame her? I'd been running with one idea after another, tripping up more often than not, while she sent up her daily mantra from the foot of the stairs, "GET A JOB BABY!"

So, picture this. She's poring over the invoices, numbers running into six figures, and she looks at me wide-eyed, "You're owed all this?" I nod, and her jaw quite literally drops. That was it. That was the moment her doubt evaporated, replaced with a newfound faith in my entrepreneurial pursuits. Years later, I'd take great pleasure in wiping off her mortgage with one check.

So here's the thing. My mom's skepticism was annihilated by tangible results. DONE wiped DOUBT off the map.

One colossal mistake a greenhorn entrepreneur lusting after the good life, complete control over time, and a life that thrums with purpose can make is to yak away.

Yep, talk.

I'm referring to the trap of unveiling your lofty dreams and ambitions to the average Joe or Jane leading an average life. See, these folks are soaked in a culture that worships the Scripted life, where being a victim and average are seen as virtues.

Take a gander at the fresh-faced enthusiasts popping into the forum here, and it's clear that their problems are not about business or Fastlane, CENTS, or a lack of ideas. It's about feeling adrift in a sea of skepticism.

Replace "plans" with "pipe dreams," and you've pretty much summed up the general sentiment.

The unsettling truth you've got to swallow is that not only does no one care, they don't believe you either. Even when they pat your back or smash that like button, they're still doubtful and expect you to falter.

But talk about launching your own venture, and you'll be greeted with deafening silence.

What's more, those closest to you might try to douse your dreams. Resistance could even escalate to threats – of divorce, eviction, or cutting off financial aid. Defying conventional wisdom? Brace yourself for a barrage of 'sense-making' from those stuck in the rat race.

But here's the thing. This skepticism isn't unwarranted. It's rooted in reality because talk is, indeed, cheap. Announcing grand plans is easy, but walking the talk? That's the real grind. You can't make the skeptics see the light with mere chit-chat. You can thrust a book in their face, but you can't force them to believe it.

Done is pulling into your parents' driveway in a brand-new, loan-free Ferrari. Done is hiring your uncle because business is booming. Done is watching your mother's jaw drop as she deals with six-figure invoices and then surprising her with a mortgage-free life.

Enough said.

Shut your mouth, quit sharing pipe dreams from your parent's attic, and get to work.
Love this message and the great stories. Thanks for sharing MJ.

Proclamation threads mostly peter out with a wimper and you don't have to be a member for long to start recognising (and ignoring) them. Wheras the threads that gain traction are usually of people showing what they've done, not what they intend doing.

A line I love is: "Tell me what you've done and I'll tell you who you are."

I imagine when it comes time for our judgement we won't be asked what we were going to do, but what we did.

dipankar das

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Aug 27, 2018

Yep, talk.

What's more, those closest to you might try to douse your dreams. Resistance could even escalate to threats – of divorce, eviction, or cutting off financial aid. Defying conventional wisdom? Brace yourself for a barrage of 'sense-making' from those stuck in the rat race.

Enough said.

I'm in my early stage.... and when I talk about it exact same reactions, even from my best friends and family no one really belives this can be done. And it boils my blood how come people who I trust are not trusting me?

I tell my mother that "You know Mj's mom also didn't believed him." He also went through failures, its not like you try once and you succeed it really neve happens. She dosent responds.

When I share the story that there are many people today living 1% life with luxury and fullfilment, and they started from the buttom, but sadly they are not just interested to hear. Tell them about Entertainment, Sports or any new agenda going on in the country, now there with full attention.

Slowly I realized its better to keep your mouth shut, grind and someday I will showup with a brand new Lambhroghini. And that will be my day :)

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
24K pure gold, as usual.

I can't believe how fortunate I am to be on this forum.

@BizyDad this is exactly what I've been referring to when I've said that I never divulge my plans to other people.

Just like 99% of all people, I've grown in an environment where trying to do more than the average would result in massive bullying and discouraging. Not from strangers - but from FRIENDS and FAMILY. The people that were supposed to help you the most lol.

The only positive emotional feedback I've received on my entrepreneurial journey, was when my first business failed.

"WE'VE TOLD YOU YOU CAN'T DO IT :smile:"

That's why I've learned to keep my mouth shut.

Now I only ask for advice from qualified people that know what they are talking about. Primarily the Fastlane Legends.

Fastlane is my family. :gold:

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
24K pure gold, as usual.

I can't believe how fortunate I am to be on this forum.

@BizyDad this is exactly what I've been referring to when I've said that I never divulge my plans to other people.

Just like 99% of all people, I've grown in an environment where tryin;)g to do more than the average would result in massive bullying and discouraging. Not from strangers - but from FRIENDS and FAMILY. The people that were supposed to help you the most lol.

The only positive emotional feedback I've received on my entrepreneurial journey, was when my first business failed.

"WE'VE TOLD YOU YOU CAN'T DO IT :smile:"

That's why I've learned to keep my mouth shut.

Now I only ask for advice from qualified people that know what they are talking about. Primarily the Fastlane Legends.

Fastlane is my family. :gold:

Hmm... I guess that makes me your big bro. Have I ever told you you talk too much? :rofl: Back to work! ;)

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Bing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Aug 5, 2011
I was lucky to have supportive family and friends, but my journey to millionaire status started in 2014 and I only just sold my company in March. I've always kept my mouth shut in public though, and still drive a 2009 Rav 4, despite now having ~$3 million in cash. I have a 3-year commitment which should double my current bank balance, then we'll see if I've got another business in me.

Been meaning to write MJ a nice thank you, since TMF is what tipped me off to this in the first place. Just too busy working to spend much time on this forum

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I was lucky to have supportive family and friends, but my journey to millionaire status started in 2014 and I only just sold my company in March. I've always kept my mouth shut in public though, and still drive a 2009 Rav 4, despite now having ~$3 million in cash. I have a 3-year commitment which should double my current bank balance, then we'll see if I've got another business in me.

Been meaning to write MJ a nice thank you, since TMF is what tipped me off to this in the first place. Just too busy working to spend much time on this forum

The man said IN CASH y'all. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri

1686864955192.jpeg
This you?

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
I would go as far as to say to not tell anyone of your dreams until you have achieved them. The reason is that telling people what you are going to achieve puts you into that mental masturbation phase, and you feel proud of doing nothing. What has worked for me is not telling anyone anything until it is obvious. I never tell anyone I am starting a diet, lifting weights, or a business. I tell myself that I am a pretender till the point that the consistency of my actions produces results that match my goals. And this means that in business at least I am still a pretender.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I feel bad for people who face so much doubt, or let other people's doubt affect them.

I have always talked about my goals dreams and desires and my life is generally better for it.

Some people say only talk to the people who can help you get ahead.

BUT YOU NEVER REALLY KNOW WHO CAN HELP YOU GET AHEAD!

So many doors have been opened for me in my life because I asked people about their goals, offered to help them get there, and they did the same in return for me.

It's not wallowing if you help others get to their goals. It's demonstrating value.

And reciprocity takes care of the rest. I don't expect people to help, which probably helps their desire to help.

And in the cases where I face other's doubt, I have two reactions:

1. Did the person have a point? Great, then I just learned something.

2. Are they just a doubter? Well the jersey in me just uses that as extra motivation...

Talking about your goals is almost all upside... It just depends on how you choose to look at it.

artz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Oct 24, 2022
There is a study conducted by Peter Gollwitzer where he researched with 63 individuals, and according to the results, those who didn't share their goals with others had a higher likelihood of achieving them compared to those who shared their dreams seeking acceptance and support. According to Professor Gollwitzer, when we share our goals and dreams, we experience a premature sense of fulfillment, a feeling that they have already been accomplished. Our brain perceives that the goal has been achieved since it has left our mind and become real by sharing it with others.

In another study, a group of individuals were given permission to write down their weekly goals on a piece of paper and submit them to the researchers. Some of these individuals were informed that their goals would be evaluated, while others were not. The people who knew their goals would be evaluated exerted less effort in achieving them compared to those who didn't know. This demonstrates that the knowledge of others doesn't always serve as motivation.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
There is a study conducted by Peter Gollwitzer where he researched with 63 individuals, and according to the results, those who didn't share their goals with others had a higher likelihood of achieving them compared to those who shared their dreams seeking acceptance and support. According to Professor Gollwitzer, when we share our goals and dreams, we experience a premature sense of fulfillment, a feeling that they have already been accomplished. Our brain perceives that the goal has been achieved since it has left our mind and become real by sharing it with others.

In another study, a group of individuals were given permission to write down their weekly goals on a piece of paper and submit them to the researchers. Some of these individuals were informed that their goals would be evaluated, while others were not. The people who knew their goals would be evaluated exerted less effort in achieving them compared to those who didn't know. This demonstrates that the knowledge of others doesn't always serve as motivation.

I begin to agree with that, I had an habit of sharing my goals and dreams with my close friends but the more I move forward the more I tend to actually shut up

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm in my early stage.... and when I talk about it exact same reactions, even from my best friends and family no one really belives this can be done. And it boils my blood how come people who I trust are not trusting me?

I tell my mother that "You know Mj's mom also didn't believed him." He also went through failures, its not like you try once and you succeed it really neve happens. She dosent responds.

When I share the story that there are many people today living 1% life with luxury and fullfilment, and they started from the buttom, but sadly they are not just interested to hear. Tell them about Entertainment, Sports or any new agenda going on in the country, now there with full attention.

Slowly I realized its better to keep your mouth shut, grind and someday I will showup with a brand new Lambhroghini. And that will be my day :)
"Show, don't tell."

Bing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Aug 5, 2011
Haha, sorry, was that in bad taste or something? :-X I specified "cash" to clarify that it was no longer equity in a business or anything else.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
Haha, sorry, was that in bad taste or something? :-X I specified "cash" to clarify that it was no longer equity in a business or anything else.

Just yanking your chain. It was a bit ironic as you said you keep quiet about it. But congratulations on the success!

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
If you ignore the dopamine hit from announcing plans (which I would say absolutely should be the case), then all you're left with is huge downsides. People being skeptical or belittling your idea is actually closer to the best case scenario than some of the worst case scenarios. One big reason I avoid announcing plans too early is if they are given to the wrong person, you could have just armed your competition. The closer you are to the starting line means it's that much easier for anyone else to catch up. Why increase the risk by rolling out the red carpet to your race track? STFU and be patient - it'll feel a lot better showing off the huge monthly profits, anyway.

Last edited:

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA

Enough said.

facts.

Took me a while to figure it out. "Just do it" You heard it a million times

"But Do what? I don't know!" you might ask.

Anything done is a win.

Task -> problem solve it -> done -> next -> loop

whoever does it faster wins.

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN

Yep, talk.

What's more, those closest to you might try to douse your dreams. Resistance could even escalate to threats – of divorce, eviction, or cutting off financial aid. Defying conventional wisdom? Brace yourself for a barrage of 'common sense' from commoners stuck in the rat race.

Enough said.

That was an absolutely mind opening read.

Love your content @MJ DeMarco.

The next book I’m reading is Unscripted .

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022

Yep, talk.

Enough said.

Really wish I read that earlier

It would be like if a fat person said that they had a new years resolution to lose weight, people have a right to doubt because most people who go to the gym on new years quit after a few weeks. That fat person would have to prove them wrong by eating right and exercising

Last edited:

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
This resonates with me deeply.

I spent the first ~26 years of my life as a loser: broke, hardcore World of Warcraft addiction (I barely passed high school because of this), sleeping around, drug/sex addictions, overweight, gang stuff, didn't accomplish shit, etc. Got my shit together at 28. Read MJ at 30 and announced I'd be retired by 40. Queue the cliche "and then everyone laughed..."

The thing is I wasn't mad at them. Who could blame them? My track record was a joke. Funny thing happened I after I sold my 2nd business, and showed my parents a bank statement of 3XX,XXX. Their jaws literally dropped. I'm not even close to being where I want to be, but the important thing is I finally had evidence I could do it.

And now? Any time I casually mention something I'm working on (which only happens with my mum/sister/stepdad), they're all ears and want to hear every detail.

It's cliche af, but the proof is in the pudding. So start making pudding.

Edit: They started putting 2-and-2 together when they price checked my car and verified I had the title in hand. And yes, the first question they asked was "... we're not going to be asked to testify, right...?"

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Early on, I had a couple side hustles fail. And I got scammed out of $5,000, twice. (Avoid Flippa y’all).

So when I told my wife I had this great idea to import jewelry and sell it online she told me it was a really bad idea (I had a track record).

So… I did it anyways with $300 that was my own to spend, and didn’t tell her.

6 months later she asks if I’ve seen this type of jewelry product that everyone’s been talking about on Facebook….

I opened my closet and showed her the $10,000 in inventory I had, and told her that I was currently selling 20 a day of this product on Amazon and growing.

You think she was mad I did it without telling her?

You think she had any doubt?

No. Results are everything, and she was thrilled.

The kicker is, 3 years later, after selling the business and paying off all our student loans in a big lump sum, and having hundreds of thousands in the bank (at age 29)… my in-laws had the gall to pull my wife aside and tell her my next new venture was a really bad idea and that she should try and change my mind (lol).

The script is strong with some. But even the strongest script can be overcome with results.

Change your progress threads to be about what you’ve already done. Not what you’re going to do.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Wow, interesting study, definitely confirms my experience (or one could say, my bias).

Bottomline: Proclaiming your forthcoming billionaire empire while having $5 in your bank account results in dopamine releases, just like endless social media scrolling.

Stop sharing your goals, and start working at them, one day at time.

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Dec 12, 2021
I feel bad for people who face so much doubt, or let other people's doubt affect them.

I have always talked about my goals dreams and desires and my life is generally better for it.

Some people say only talk to the people who can help you get ahead.

BUT YOU NEVER REALLY KNOW WHO CAN HELP YOU GET AHEAD!

So many doors have been opened for me in my life because I asked people about their goals, offered to help them get there, and they did the same in return for me.

It's not wallowing if you help others get to their goals. It's demonstrating value.

And reciprocity takes care of the rest. I don't expect people to help, which probably helps their desire to help.

And in the cases where I face other's doubt, I have two reactions:

1. Did the person have a point? Great, then I just learned something.

2. Are they just a doubter? Well the jersey in me just uses that as extra motivation...

Talking about your goals is almost all upside... It just depends on how you choose to look at it.
I’ve found this to be true for myself too. Telling others my goals/plans provides me accountability that drives me to take more action.

I don’t go out of my way to tell others, but when I am asked I usually adopt the mindset of ‘radical honesty’. If it’s clear to me the person is doubtful or doesn’t understand then I dumb it down and underplay it (as it’s not worth the energy or time).

My track record is positive in that I have succeeded academically. Perhaps this is why the responses I receive are generally positive; people believe (not everyone) I can do it as I know I will.

I believe whether you share your goals/plans or not is personal. I’m going to minimise what I share for the next month and see if I notice an impact on my work and study.

MrRiaos

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 31, 2023
Thank you for this. I have the script still embedded somewhere in me as I often catch myself thinking "what if I can't do it". This post remind me to keep doing and keep building. Only then, I can get out of the scripted system. Cheers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.